ImageImage

Elliot Wolf to interview for SF GM job/Interviewing With Colts - Page 4

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,149

Re: RE: Re: Elliot Wolf to interview for SF GM job 

Post#21 » by RRyder823 » Sat Jan 7, 2017 6:51 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:In my opinion, barring a few mediocre or worse seasons in a row, Ted stays as long as he wants.

If Eliot's last name wasn't Wolf, people would not care about potentially losing him. Could he be the guy? Sure. But listening to casual fans act like they know anything about him other than he's Ron's son is headache inducing. A last name is not a reason to push a hall of fame GM still performing out the door.

It's because people love the name Wolf and hate TT because he's not aggressive enough despite both having the same number of SB win. That's reason enough for many to want TT gone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Re: Elliot Wolf to interview for SF GM job 

Post#22 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Sat Jan 7, 2017 7:29 pm

I don't want to lose Wolf because he's been promoted nearly every off season for as long as I can remember. Those promotions aren't because his dad worked for the Packers 15+ years ago. He received those promotions because he is a major asset to our front office.

And I'm probably one of the most devout TT supporters on this board.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#23 » by El Duderino » Sat Jan 7, 2017 9:38 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:In my opinion, barring a few mediocre or worse seasons in a row, Ted stays as long as he wants.

If Eliot's last name wasn't Wolf, people would not care about potentially losing him. Could he be the guy? Sure. But listening to casual fans act like they know anything about him other than he's Ron's son is headache inducing. A last name is not a reason to push a hall of fame GM still performing out the door.

It's because people love the name Wolf and hate TT because he's not aggressive enough despite both having the same number of SB win. That's reason enough for many to want TT gone.

Ron Wolf may only have the same number of titles, but he faced two obstacles which Ted didn't.

1. Wolf had to turn around a franchise which was in shambles. The team hadn't won in a long time and many players around the league dreaded the thought off playing in Green Bay. What Wolf, Favre, White, and Holmgren did to completely change the perception of this franchise cannot be overstated.

2. The NFC was a such beast for a number of years. Those Dallas teams in the 90's were among the best ever and at the same time the Steve Young lead 49ers were also in the NFC. Until Denver beat the Packers in the Super Bowl, the AFC hadn't won a title in over a decade.

As for Elliot, it is true that we have no idea how good he'd do. That said, fans have reason to be frustrated with Ted to a degree. His inability to put together better defenses has contributed to wasting multiple seasons of Godgers.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#24 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Jan 8, 2017 4:07 pm

Was reading that dorsey hasnt signed an extension in kc and is a possibility if TT retires this offseason. I like wolf but would still prefer dorsey over him, ill take the guys whos a more proven commodity.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,070

Post#25 » by rilamann » Sun Jan 8, 2017 6:47 pm

El Duderino wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:

It's because people love the name Wolf and hate TT because he's not aggressive enough despite both having the same number of SB win. That's reason enough for many to want TT gone.

Ron Wolf may only have the same number of titles, but he faced two obstacles which Ted didn't.

1. Wolf had to turn around a franchise which was in shambles. The team hadn't won in a long time and many players around the league dreaded the thought off playing in Green Bay. What Wolf, Favre, White, and Holmgren did to completely change the perception of this franchise cannot be overstated.

2. The NFC was a such beast for a number of years. Those Dallas teams in the 90's were among the best ever and at the same time the Steve Young lead 49ers were also in the NFC. Until Denver beat the Packers in the Super Bowl, the AFC hadn't won a title in over a decade.

As for Elliot, it is true that we have no idea how good he'd do. That said, fans have reason to be frustrated with Ted to a degree. His inability to put together better defenses has contributed to wasting multiple seasons of Godgers.

When we talk about Favre retiring with one ring we can at least bring up the 90's Cowboys.

If Aaron Rodgers retires with one ring we'll have to bring up Colin Kaepernick.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,392

Post#26 » by Profound23 » Sun Jan 8, 2017 7:35 pm

Would you guys be fine with Dorsey? Saw that he is next in line?
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,415

Post#27 » by th87 » Sun Jan 8, 2017 8:09 pm

El Duderino wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:

TT has become overrated and is living off of Rodgers now. His drafts haven't yielded as much as it had in the past. How many home-run offensive players do we have now, who can take it to the house? Janis and Michael maybe? In the past, we had Jennings, Nelson, Grant (surprisingly). And on defense, we've wasted years starting McMillian, MD Jennings, and still get destroyed over the middle of the field.

With Rodgers, there is no reason the Packers shouldn't get at least a first round bye more often than not. It doesn't stop the Patriots with a lesser QB, and before I hear how the AFC East sucks, so does the NFC North.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#28 » by FAH1223 » Sun Jan 8, 2017 9:09 pm

Profound23 wrote:Would you guys be fine with Dorsey? Saw that he is next in line?

Absolutely would love Dorsey back. His drafting in KC has been terrific. And while he isn't active in FA, he's more active than TT and we all know that's pretty significant.
dietac
Sophomore
And1: 62

Post#29 » by dietac » Sun Jan 8, 2017 11:30 pm

RRyder823 wrote:When we talk about Favre retiring with one ring we can at least bring up the 90's Cowboys.

If Aaron Rodgers retires with one ring we'll have to bring up Colin Kaepernick.

That's false. By the time Favre won his first SB, the Cowboys dynasty was done.
RRyder823
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Elliot Wolf to interview for SF GM job 

Post#30 » by RRyder823 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 1:48 am

El Duderino wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:

The problem I have is point one.

Yes Wolf turned the franshise around but don't underestimate the mess that Sherman left TT when he took over

HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,129

Post#31 » by HKPackFan » Mon Jan 9, 2017 1:50 am

Elliot may have a famous last name, but he's also been groomed for the eventual gm job for the past 10+ years. That's no predictor of success but he's been in GB management for a long time living and breathing and seeing everything from what he dad has done to what TT has done and what Reggie and Dorsey and Schneider have done.

He has a lot of experience even at his young age.
#FreeChuckDiesel
El Duderino
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Elliot Wolf to interview for SF GM job 

Post#32 » by El Duderino » Mon Jan 9, 2017 4:18 am

RRyder823 wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

The problem I have is point one.

Yes Wolf turned the franshise around but don't underestimate the mess that Sherman left TT when he took over

No question that both inherited teams which badly needed talent infusions and both acquired HOF quarterbacks. Those two moves alone helped cover for any other mistakes made.

That said, when Ted became GM, the Packers were one of the glamour franchises in the NFL. Some free agents tool smaller contracts to play for the Packers. When Wolf became GM, coaches on other teams would threaten mis-behaving players that they'd be shipped off to Green Bay if they didn't straighten up. Lambeau Field was getting dumpy and games were still being played in County Stadium.

I was a kid during those dark days on the franchise and i was a Cowboys fan for awhile. There was zero excitement around the Packers. They were far from the must see TV of the last 20 plus years. Wolf, Favre, White, and Holmgrem changed everything. The renovated Lambeau Field doesn't happen without those four and Wolf brought in Favre, White, and Holmgrem.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#33 » by El Duderino » Mon Jan 9, 2017 4:27 am

th87 wrote:TT has become overrated and is living off of Rodgers now. His drafts haven't yielded as much as it had in the past. How many home-run offensive players do we have now, who can take it to the house? Janis and Michael maybe? In the past, we had Jennings, Nelson, Grant (surprisingly). And on defense, we've wasted years starting McMillian, MD Jennings, and still get destroyed over the middle of the field.

With Rodgers, there is no reason the Packers shouldn't get at least a first round bye more often than not. It doesn't stop the Patriots with a lesser QB, and before I hear how the AFC East sucks, so does the NFC North.

My issues with Ted of late reside almost entirely on the many mistakes made on defense.

On offense though, you need to mention the top notch offensive line he's built which only includes one first round pick. During most of Ted's tenure there has been enough talent on offense to reach the Super Bowl. It's been to many mistakes in building defenses which has by far hurt the team most.

Why he's been so much better drafting offense instead of defense is hard to understand and frustrating.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#34 » by Jollay » Mon Jan 9, 2017 4:47 am

I think Ryder brings up some good points, but man, those earlier Packers teams had it way, way, way tougher. Even post-Wolf, pre-Thompson.

Greatest show on Turf? Moss/Carter? Both of those teams would put up 50-60 points against these Packers squads. Even 2010, the road to the Bowl was extremely light by historical standards. Pittsburgh was a solid AFC rep, but hey, even that was way better than going up against NE in one of their very, very good years.

We have to do better, and we all know it. Not like 2-3 one-year contracts put us out. God, look at the difference Cook has made, and if any other team had just shown 3-4 million a year interest, we might not have him. TT dragged his feet on that forever as well. Bottom line, if we do anything close to putting a rookie like Blake "I can't cover Tye on a 55-yarder" Martinez out there as a starter on opening day again, we simply aren't putting our best foot forward. It's not even arguable at this point.

Dorsey or Wolf ASAP, please. TT has been very good, but it's time for him to fly.
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#35 » by RRyder823 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 5:29 am

HKPackFan wrote:Elliot may have a famous last name, but he's also been groomed for the eventual gm job for the past 10+ years. That's no predictor of success but he's been in GB management for a long time living and breathing and seeing everything from what he dad has done to what TT has done and what Reggie and Dorsey and Schneider have done.

He has a lot of experience even at his young age.

They've been grooming Wolf for years. It's seemed pretty obvious to me at least that there was and has been a succession plan in place as Wolf has kept getting promoted to new and exciting extra titles and pay raises to scare other teams away.

I think his last name got his foot in the door but it definitely looks like he's worked his way up and earned his strips if all those "promotions" mean anything

It's why I'm not concerned about the interview. Seems more like a bargaining ploy to me as I'm pretty sure Wolf was told at least a year or two ago that TT was planning on retiring following the 2018 season and that he's the GM in waiting.

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#36 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jan 9, 2017 7:05 am

Theres a little bit of similarity between the current situation and the wolf holmgram dynamic back in the day. Even though i get why wolf didnt step down and let holmgram have all the control he wanted man would it have been nice if they could have worked something out and kept holmgram. Even though mike failed in the dual role in SF he might have won another one here. And the real kick in the balls was sherman ended up with what holmgram wanted and completely **** it up.

I hope we dont run into that this year where elliot leaves and they end up regretting it. With that said id definitely take dorsey over elliot if thats an option.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,904

Post#37 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jan 9, 2017 12:59 pm

I do think there is something to be said about having experience working for more than one organization.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#38 » by emunney » Mon Jan 9, 2017 10:05 pm

I think Wolf would be hard pressed to be a better GM than Dorsey has been for the Chiefs. I don't know if the Packers need to bend over backwards for Wolf unless they're absolutely convinced he's going to be ridiculously good. They can get whoever they want.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#39 » by crkone » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#40 » by humanrefutation » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:42 pm

I think the fact that the 49ers are hiring a GM after offering their coaching job to Shanahan is ass backwards. If I'm Wolf, Gutekunst, or Paton, I'd be annoyed that I couldn't bring in my own guy.

Return to Green Bay Packers