Bautista to return to Jays on 1YR deal + mutual option

Moderator: JaysRule15

The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,126

Re: Bautista to return to Jays on 1YR deal + mutual option 

Post#81 » by The Duke » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:33 pm

Not a big fan of him returning ... at this time .... thought we could have waiting more ... or got him for less, or at least better terms on year 2 and year 3
Kinger95
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,730

Post#82 » by Kinger95 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:46 pm

What a stupid move!!!

I love bats but in some ways you could argue that we could have

Bautista
Or
Saunders, 1st round pick and 9 million dollars( spent elsewhere)
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#83 » by sule » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:48 pm

Only made sense to bring Joey back. Ramirez, if he comes up can take over for Upton/Carerra. And the rest of the farm can have a year or two more to develop while we contend for the wild card the next year (maybe two, if Joey comes back for 2018).
sule
RealGM

Post#84 » by sule » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:51 pm

Kinger95 wrote:What a stupid move!!!

Bautista
Or

Spent where? Any other move short of a premier hitter would make this team worse next year and beyond. With Joey signed, Morales at DH, and Pearce platooning at various positions may make us just as good offensively as last year.

If Bautista brings his offence, and we see some improvement from Pillar and Carerra, we could be just as good as last year.
sule
RealGM

Post#85 » by sule » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:53 pm

The Duke wrote:Not a big fan of him returning ... at this time .... thought we could have waiting more ... or got him for less, or at least better terms on year 2 and year 3

Spring Training starts in less than a month. Unlikely his price would go down. Better to just sign him now and spend the next month focusing on backup C and the bullpen. Those are still areas that need to be addressed.
Kinger95
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,730

Post#86 » by Kinger95 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:55 pm

So if the team gets off to a horrible start does Jose have a no trade? He still has 10+5 I guess
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,025

Post#87 » by C Court » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:57 pm

If Jose can stay healthy, then this could be a good deal for the Jays. I'm not disappointed with the signing. I only expect him to be a Jay for one season though.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,047

Post#88 » by Schad » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:01 am

Kinger95 wrote:So if the team gets off to a horrible start does Jose have a no trade? He still has 10+5 I guess

Yep, full no-trade clause, and he now has a big piece of leverage via his contract...if he doesn't think he'll improve it in FA, he could ask any team taking him to guarantee the second year.
**** your asterisk.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,359

Post#89 » by Lateral Quicks » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:03 am

With some clubs valuing comp picks at $10M each, from one point of view we just paid $28M (plus whatever buyout may be associated with year two) for Bautista. I wouldn't have done it, but I'll be happy to see Bautista out there instead of a guy like Jay Bruce.

If his arm is still MIA, I'd look to move him to LF. If it were me I'd have Pearce and Bautista split time between LF and 1B. I don't want to see either in the OF full-time. With Morales at DH full-time, that means no Smoak, which is how it should be.

1B Pearce/Bautista/Morales/Smoak
2B Travis/Barney/Pearce
SS Tulowitzki/Barney/Martin
3B Donaldson/Barney/Tulowitzki
LF Bautista/Pearce
CF Pillar/Upton
RF Upton/Carrera
C Martin/dirt cheap vet or Jimenez
DH Morales/Smoak
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,297

Post#90 » by Parataxis » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:03 am

Kinger95 wrote:What a stupid move!!!

Bautista
Or

We only get that pick if somebody else signs him before a given date.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by Schad » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:08 am

Parataxis wrote:We only get that pick if somebody else signs him before a given date.

That date's mid-June, for what it's worth.
**** your asterisk.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,297

Post#92 » by Parataxis » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:09 am

Schad wrote:
Parataxis wrote:We only get that pick if somebody else signs him before a given date.

That date's mid-June, for what it's worth.

Thanks. I couldn't remember. I knew it was after the season started, but before things get really serious.
sule
RealGM

Post#93 » by sule » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:18 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:With some clubs valuing comp picks at $10M each, from one point of view we just paid $28M (plus whatever buyout may be associated with year two) for Bautista. I wouldn't have done it, but I'll be happy to see Bautista out there instead of a guy like Jay Bruce.

If his arm is still MIA, I'd look to move him to LF. If it were me I'd have Pearce and Bautista split time between LF and 1B. I don't want to see either in the OF full-time. With Morales at DH full-time, that means no Smoak, which is how it should be.

2B Travis/Barney/Pearce
LF Bautista/Pearce
CF Pillar/Upton
RF Upton/Carrera
DH Morales/Smoak

On the flip side, not bringing Joey back means a worse offence with roughly the same pitching. Fans don't come back b/c of disappointment in not seeing Joey bating every day, leading to lower attendance, lower profits (or loss), and drastically decreased budget in subsequent years. Team struggles, and guys like Donaldson, Tulo, Martin are shipped out sending us nose-diving in the standings.

Bringing back Joey for one year could mean high enough attendance this year to ensure roughly the same budget for the next year or two. That alone could make this deal worth it, since it could ensure this team tries to be competitive until worthy prospects can step in.

Basically, we could lose Joey, gain the pick, and subsequently end up losing our top hitters in the process. The amount of fans that will come out to games for Joey and a team that is competitive with him will easily make back his salary, IMO.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#94 » by Schad » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:23 am

sule wrote:On the flip side, not bringing Joey back means a worse offence with roughly the same pitching. Fans don't come back b/c of disappointment in not seeing Joey bating every day, leading to lower attendance, lower profits (or loss), and drastically decreased budget in subsequent years. Team struggles, and guys like Donaldson, Tulo, Martin are shipped out sending us nose-diving in the standings.

Bringing back Joey for one year could mean high enough attendance this year to ensure roughly the same budget for the next year or two. That alone could make this deal worth it, since it could ensure this team tries to be competitive until worthy prospects can step in.

Basically, we could lose Joey, gain the pick, and subsequently end up losing our top hitters in the process. The amount of fans that will come out to games for Joey and a team that is competitive with him will easily make back his salary, IMO.

Our attendance (at least from May on) will ultimately be determined by our position in the league, and honestly without a major bounce back, Bautista isn't going to have a great deal of impact on that. He might mean a couple extra wins, but that isn't going to hugely affect attendance during the regular season until the absolute tail end of the schedule.
**** your asterisk.
sule
RealGM

Post#95 » by sule » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:34 am

Schad wrote:
sule wrote:On the flip side, not bringing Joey back means a worse offence with roughly the same pitching. Fans don't come back b/c of disappointment in not seeing Joey bating every day, leading to lower attendance, lower profits (or loss), and drastically decreased budget in subsequent years. Team struggles, and guys like Donaldson, Tulo, Martin are shipped out sending us nose-diving in the standings.

Our attendance (at least from May on) will ultimately be determined by our position in the league, and honestly without a major bounce back, Bautista isn't going to have a great deal of impact on that. He might mean a couple extra wins, but that isn't going to hugely affect attendance during the regular season until the absolute tail end of the schedule.

It's not just Bautista alone, but what his returning (or not returning) signifies to the fanbase, which is that this team doesn't want to compete. Without Bautista, perhaps this team could still pull off a lot of wins and still find themselves in the wildcard, but they'd have to spend a good chunk of the season showing the fans that. Without him, it's likely those crowds of 40,000 drop to say, 30-35,000 and maybe more by the end of the season if this team isn't competing, and again, could signal potential trades involving guys like Donaldson to propel us back into rebuild-mode. Not to mention, Bautista in the lineup provides real protection for Donaldson, which could count for an extra couple wins just by virtue of his presence in the lineup.

It's the totally of his presence that brings the bandwagon fans back for another season while this team tries to put together a winning season with him versus without. Donaldson is the teams' best hitter, but he doesn't seem to have the same rapport with the fanbase that Bautista brings with him. And I think it can be reflected in the attendance enough to justify bringing him back for another season.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,065

Post#96 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:00 am

A one year deal for a hitter as good as Bautista is better than anybody could have hoped for entering this offseason. Also nice to have the best position player in franchise history back for another year (and with a chip on his shoulder too).
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,223

Post#97 » by Shaazzam » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:24 am

Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,523

Post#98 » by bluerap23 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:31 am

Xaos wrote:Happy to see him back!

Projected lineup anyone?

I think we are just as good as last year and should be in the running for a wild card birth. Need another outfielder, backup catcher and a lefty in the bullpen and we should be set.

Travis 2B
Donaldson 3B
Bautista RF
Morales DH
Tulo SS
Martin C
Pearce 1B
Upton LF
Pillar CF

There is no reason we can't get a wild card with that lineup and our Starting rotation. Just need a couple arms in the bullpen.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,523

Post#99 » by bluerap23 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:53 am

Schad wrote:
Xaos wrote:
I think we are just as good as last year and should be in the running for a wild card birth. Need another outfielder, backup catcher and a lefty in the bullpen and we should be set.

That's probably it for OF. We're now at about $160m committed...it's all min salaries from here.

Actually closer to 155 as it has recently been reported that Upton is only owed $1 million this year (well he is owed more but we don't have to pay). Still some room to add to the roster, but I agree not likely to the outfield. I think there is a chance that Pompey makes the team this year. They could shave some additional salary by putting Pompey on the roster in favour of Carrera and Goins is a far cheaper option than Barney at this point.
Rapsfan151
Pro Prospect
And1: 643

Post#100 » by Rapsfan151 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:40 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:With some clubs valuing comp picks at $10M each, from one point of view we just paid $28M (plus whatever buyout may be associated with year two) for Bautista. I wouldn't have done it, but I'll be happy to see Bautista out there instead of a guy like Jay Bruce.

2B Travis/Barney/Pearce
LF Bautista/Pearce
CF Pillar/Upton
RF Upton/Carrera
DH Morales/Smoak

That "$28M" though could be worth only 2.5 Wins with there the Blue Jays are on the win curve. He is the most efficient way of adding Wins to the roster in the FA market.

Not to mention that draft pick is worth less since you don't see the benefit for a few years. Same reason teams trade prospects for players that can win now (To trade future wins for present wins).

Return to Toronto Blue Jays