ImageImage

PGT: Dallas and Atlanta Lead Up

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Re: PGT: Dallas and Atlanta Lead Up 

Post#221 » by Rockmaninoff » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:55 am

I felt like the Dallas game wasn't really as close as the final score indicated. The refs were allowing the Dallas DBs to do whatever they wanted the whole game. It was on the verge of a blowout when Rodgers threw that fluke interception.

No reason they can't beat ATL.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
ibanezjp
Senior
And1: 288

Post#222 » by ibanezjp » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:13 am

Rockmaninoff wrote:I felt like the Dallas game wasn't really as close as the final score indicated. The refs were allowing the Dallas DBs to do whatever they wanted the whole game. It was on the verge of a blowout when Rodgers threw that fluke interception.

NO WAY Atlanta starts that sluggish. I agree that offense is gonna need to score darn near every possession. It feels like a long time ago but that 09 game against Arizona is probably how this one will play out. Defense was not even a thought in that game until ironically the last play that ended the game. I'm thinking this game is won by first team to 40 points. Hopefully we have one of Davante or Jordy.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,070

Post#223 » by rilamann » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:09 am

Rockmaninoff wrote:I felt like the Dallas game wasn't really as close as the final score indicated. The refs were allowing the Dallas DBs to do whatever they wanted the whole game. It was on the verge of a blowout when Rodgers threw that fluke interception.

It's deff an interesting thought to think about how much different the game would have played out down the stretch if Rodgers would have led Adams to the end zone with that throw for maybe the easiest TD of the game and a 35-13 lead rather than under throwing it for a INT.

Dallas might have packed it in at that point,especially with our TD coming off the Dak to Hyde turnover.

Could have very well been a final score similar to the Giants game.It's crazy how a football game can swing so dramatically on one play.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,149

Post#224 » by RRyder823 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:18 am

All this talk of how the final score is going to be pushing 40 for both teams. Starting to think it's going to be a 17-14 type of game with all that talk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,128

Post#225 » by HKPackFan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:17 am

crkone wrote:
Read on Twitter

I would totally bring him in for a try out. What does it hurt? They just brought: free-agent cornerback Bené Benwikere to the practice squad.
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2017/1/17/14304174/packers-add-bene-benwikere-to-practice-squad-nfl-2017

If they are willing to bring in a scrub who got torched by Julio Jones, then what's wrong with bringing in Peanut for a try out? Unless peanut is completely out of football shape and/or is slower than Dick Rodgers, I can't see how it hurts.

It doesn't even cost anything, basically 1 or 2 game checks.
#FreeChuckDiesel
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,904

Post#226 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:33 pm

As much as Green Bay Packers wide receiver Jordy Nelson would like to say there's a good chance he'll be available for the NFC championship game Sunday, he admitted he's in uncharted territory and isn't sure he can play through two broken ribs.

Nelson attended practice Wednesday and caught some soft throws from a team trainer, but that's a long way from being able to withstand another shot to his left side like the one he took against the New York Giants in a wild-card playoff game at Lambeau Field 11 days ago. Each day, he said, he makes considerable improvement, but there was no indication he was going to be able to take part in practice before Saturday, if at all.

"I’ve never played receiver with broken ribs," said Nelson, when asked how it would be possible to do so. "We’ll find out, hopefully. I don’t know if you can prepare. It’s one of those things that you’ll figure out when you get out there.

"If it happens, we’ll see how it goes. But right now I’m just focused on getting back to full motion and doing everything and seeing if we can get that opportunity and it’d be a great chance to have."

Even if Nelson is able to withstand the pain and protect the ribs, he still has to justify with his play being out on the field against the Atlanta Falcons. He wouldn't be doing the team much good if he were 60 or 70 percent and unable to run full speed or reach for passes.

If the medical staff does give him the OK to play, then it's up to the coaches to decide if he would be effective. He said ultimately team physician Patrick McKenzie would decide whether it was safe for him to play, but he's being allowed to go through the rehab process to see how far he can get through the week. It's possible McKenzie already has decided Nelson can't play, but the Packers haven't listed him as out on their injury report, so technically there's a chance.

"(It's) a combination of that (and) pain tolerance, Doc’s approving that it’s OK and being fully functional," Nelson said of the first step. "I’ve got to be able to go out and perform. I just can’t be out there slowly running or just being some random person."

Nelson isn't the only receiver the Packers might not have when they face the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday.

Davante Adams, who injured his ankle late in the divisional playoff victory over Dallas, did not practice and won't until at least Saturday, according to coach Mike McCarthy. The fact the Packers won't even put Adams on the field until then speaks to the severity of the injury.

Adams suffered a similar injury last year, tried to come back from it too soon and was not the same player the rest of the year. Like Nelson, he's going to have to prove that he can be an effective player in order to be cleared.

Worse yet, No. 4 receiver Geronimo Allison sat out practice with a left hamstring injury. He said he was sitting out for precautionary reasons, but he couldn't say for sure he would practice Thursday and was trying to work through the injury through rehab.

He was carrying around a device that was sending electronic impulses to two pads attached to his hamstring.

"We're just trying to give my body a little rest," he said. "I'd be out there any chance I could get. It's more mental preparation now with the game plan, film. You try to do more with that because you couldn't get physical reps today. That's when you definitely dial in and get some mental work. It's just that time of year."

In practice, quarterback Aaron Rodgers had Randall Cobb, Jeff Janis and rookie Trevor Davis available at the wide receiver position. Practice squad receivers Max McCaffrey and Antwan Goodley ran routes for Rodgers in the early portion of practice open to the media.

Nelson said the one thing he's encouraged about is the improvement he has made each day. He said he did not suffer any injuries other than the broken ribs and stayed overnight in the hospital because he was able to rest comfortably there.

He said the pain was excruciating.

"I’ve never been like that before," he said. "It was the worst pain I’ve ever felt. Hopefully, it doesn’t happen again. It’s not fun."

Not having Nelson and Adams in a game in which the Packers are probably going to have to score a lot of points in order to win might just be too much to overcome. The offense was able to keep rolling against the Giants and Cowboys because Adams, Cobb, Allison, tight end Jared Cook and running back Ty Montgomery picked up the slack.

In the two playoff games, Adams has 13 catches for 201 yards (15.5 average) and a touchdown. If you take him out of the mix, it makes it easier to cover the others, especially Cook, who has been a key to the team's offensive success and generally hasn't drawn double coverage because of the threat of Adams, Cobb and Montgomery.

Cobb would move into the No. 1 receiver spot with Nelson and Adams out. He has 12 catches for 178 yards and three touchdowns in the playoffs but is better when he's in the slot than when he's outside. If Allison can play, McCarthy can use Cook and Allison as the two outside receivers and Cobb as the slot.

If Allison can't play, then Janis and Davis move up the depth chart. Janis has one catch for 8 yards in the last seven games and Davis had all three of his receptions this season (for 24 yards and a touchdown) in the first Atlanta game Oct. 30.

When asked about the possibility of playing without Nelson and Adams, Rodgers said, "Well, we’ve won without them before. So we’d like to have them out there, but we’ll see what happens."

The Packers don't have many options at receiver. They could use Montgomery there and go with fullback Aaron Ripkowski or backup Christine Michael in the backfield. But a big part of their success has been making teams guess how Montgomery is being used and if Montgomery and Michael are on the field together, the Falcons will know Montgomery is most likely going to be a receiver.

"It’s a long week yet," Nelson said. "We’ve got time until Sunday. Those guys are putting in the time and work to get healthy. Obviously, I think it becomes a mental game right now at this part of the season to make sure you’re ready to go, and everyone’s banged up. So hopefully they can get healthy and get ready. We’ll see."

I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ibanezjp
Senior

Post#227 » by ibanezjp » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:05 pm

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2fTkSGVIAAStjh.jpg

Just look at our injury report vs how few the falcons have. Allison with a hamstring injury now. Even Mason with an illness. Man these injuries are really getting ridiculous. Saturday needs to get here fast to see who practices then.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#228 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Rappaport says that they expect Adams and Allison to play. Again, they're just being cautious with practice.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,672

Post#229 » by jimmybones » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:03 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:You can't pass the ball every single play. I take umbrage with the people that simply look at the end result and say "urggggg why you call run playz there!" If I criticize McCarthy or Capers, I try to bring up specific situations and not generalize. It's harder to evaluate the play-by-play because I tend to get too emotional in real time watching the game.

What's wrong with calling a shotgun draw on 1st & 10 when you want to try and catch the defense off guard, gain a few yards when you're already in field goal range, and force them to burn a timeout? The 2nd play call was just flat out dumb. If you're gonna run it there, at least draw up a formation where you aren't telegraphing the hand-off with that formation.

Forcing them to burn two timeouts and giving Rodgers a manageable 3rd & 5 or so to convert is probably exactly what I would have wanted as well. The problem is that dumb 2nd down formation that caused us to lose yards. Rodgers was even visibly frustrated after that call. He likely had the option to audible out of the 1st run call but not the 2nd.

I have nothing meaningful or relevant to add but lulz, umbrage. That is awesome.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Post#230 » by humanrefutation » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:02 pm

I'm just as concerned about Atlanta's running game as I am about their passing game. Freeman and Coleman can be pretty dynamic in the backfield and as receivers, and they can torch our linebackers in coverage.

The truth about our game last Sunday is that the Cowboys beat themselves on the offensive end with some really inopportune mistakes. They were driving for a score when they had that idiotic 12-men-in-the-huddle penalty, they were driving for another when Dak threw that pick, Butler dropped a touchdown in the endzone. We didn't stop them as much as they stopped themselves.

Ryan can be baited into making some terrible mistakes, as his career has shown in almost every big moment prior to this season. We're going to need a couple turnovers in order to overcome our defensive liabilities.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#231 » by crkone » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Post#232 » by humanrefutation » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:32 pm

crkone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He's right about Ty's pass blocking. Ty missing out on Heath's blitz off the edge in the final drive last Sunday almost cost us the game.
WiscSports1
Bench Warmer
And1: 499

Post#233 » by WiscSports1 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:29 pm

All these injuries are just insane. Having to rely on Janis and Davis for key roles is not a recipe for success.
ibanezjp
Senior

Post#234 » by ibanezjp » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:06 am

Packers Facebook posted 2 pics of Jordy catching passes at practice. I assumed the rehab group didn't really do any football activities but maybe they do and I'm getting my hopes up for nothing.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#235 » by Mags FTW » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:01 am

ibanezjp wrote:Packers Facebook posted 2 pics of Jordy catching passes at practice. I assumed the rehab group didn't really do any football activities but maybe they do and I'm getting my hopes up for nothing.

He did non-contact walkthroughs with the 1st team.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#236 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:46 am

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Jordy, but I think I noted this last week, the way Rodgers is throwing - I don't even have much concern about getting him back this week or not. If Adams is out or hobbled we may need more high-end help at WR, but I'm not on pins and needles waiting for Jordy's status. We're going to score 30+ points.

I am worried about Burnett and just having any sort of healthy player left in the secondary.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#237 » by El Duderino » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:39 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:Rappaport says that they expect Adams and Allison to play. Again, they're just being cautious with practice.

Playing and being able to cut and accelerate normally can be different stories, especially if Adams had to play with a ginger ankle. Anyone who has ever played sports with a sore ankle knows how that can hurt.

With Jordy likely out and our defense likely to give up 24-35 points, Adams playing with a sore ankle which impacted his performance would be tough on the Packers offense to keep up.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#238 » by El Duderino » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:58 am

humanrefutation wrote:I'm just as concerned about Atlanta's running game as I am about their passing game. Freeman and Coleman can be pretty dynamic in the backfield and as receivers, and they can torch our linebackers in coverage.

The truth about our game last Sunday is that the Cowboys beat themselves on the offensive end with some really inopportune mistakes. They were driving for a score when they had that idiotic 12-men-in-the-huddle penalty, they were driving for another when Dak threw that pick, Butler dropped a touchdown in the endzone. We didn't stop them as much as they stopped themselves.

Ryan can be baited into making some terrible mistakes, as his career has shown in almost every big moment prior to this season. We're going to need a couple turnovers in order to overcome our defensive liabilities.

I'm terrified about what the Atlanta offense will do to our defense. I really fear that they eat our defense alive.

Barring a random fumble or two by Atlanta or a brainfart or two by Ryan, the only chance i see the Packer defense getting stops is if guys like Clay, Peppers, Perry can generate fairly consistent pressure without Capers having to blitz much. I saw Seattle try blitzing Ryan quite a bit and he torched their blitz. That with Seattle having a better defense, even with Thomas out.

Pretty much any drive not ending in a TD for our defense i'll consider a stop, including field goals. We have no corner who can handle Jones single covered at all and their 2nd/3rd receivers are good. Their backs in the passing game where say Jake Ryan has to cover either one, a potential big play waiting to happen.

IMO Atlanta right now has a better offense. A better defense. Are much healthier. Are playing at home. So Aaron has to be Godgers. We have to win the turnover battle. And i also think we'll need something like a big punt return or pick six. They just scare me more than Dallas and Dallas made some mental errors which contributed to that loss.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,128

Post#239 » by HKPackFan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:23 am

El Duderino wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:I'm just as concerned about Atlanta's running game as I am about their passing game. Freeman and Coleman can be pretty dynamic in the backfield and as receivers, and they can torch our linebackers in coverage.

I'm terrified about what the Atlanta offense will do to our defense. I really fear that they eat our defense alive.

Barring a random fumble or two by Atlanta or a brainfart or two by Ryan, the only chance i see the Packer defense getting stops is if guys like Clay, Peppers, Perry can generate fairly consistent pressure without Capers having to blitz much. I saw Seattle try blitzing Ryan quite a bit and he torched their blitz. That with Seattle having a better defense, even with Thomas out.

Pretty much any drive not ending in a TD for our defense i'll consider a stop, including field goals. We have no corner who can handle Jones single covered at all and their 2nd/3rd receivers are good. Their backs in the passing game where say Jake Ryan has to cover either one, a potential big play waiting to happen.

IMO Atlanta right now has a better offense. A better defense. Are much healthier. Are playing at home. So Aaron has to be Godgers. We have to win the turnover battle. And i also think we'll need something like a big punt return or pick six. They just scare me more than Dallas and Dallas made some mental errors which contributed to that loss.

This is my thinking as well. Atlanta has the better offense and defense, healthier and HFA.

Rodgers has to pretty much be in GOAT mode AGAIN. It's kinda insane to rely on him to be in that mode in order to be a competitive team.

It's time for Clay, Peppers and Perry, ESPECIALLY CLAY, to step the **** up! They can run through our Defense, they can spread us out and destroy our secondary and they can kill us by dumping the ball off to their backs in open space and hoping to God Jake Ryan, Joe Thomas, and Micah Hyde can somehow cover and tackle these guys in open space. I doubt it. My HOPE is we can hold them to 300 yards and 3TDS. That's my HOPE. Just contain them. Clay/Peppers/Perry know the backhalf of our D is completely outmatched. THE ONLY chance besides a crazy INT or TWO, is our 3 pass rushers especially CLAY one of the highest paid guys on the team, to make a game changing play.

We need a couple game changing plays by Clay. This is why we pay him. This is the time YOUR BIGGEST STARS NEED TO SHOW UP. It's for the friggin superbowl, Clay better make something happen. Our D is outmatched, someone better step up.
#FreeChuckDiesel
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,070

Post#240 » by rilamann » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:47 pm

I don't want to jinx it but I think our defense has actually become a bit underrated of late.I don't think they can stop Atlanta obviously but call me crazy if you want,I think they can slow them down a bit.

We held the Giants to 13pts,then on the road held Dallas to 13pts thru 3 quarters even without Morgan Burnett.If Rodgers leads Adams to the end zone on that throw that got picked that's an easy TD and 35-13 lead and we probably win Sunday by a score of something like 42-20.It would be interesting how differently everyone would be looking at this Packers Falcon match up if the final score of our game last was more lopsided which it would have been if it wasn't for that one single play where Rodgers threw the pick.

Where the defense still scares the hell out out of me is down the stretch is if the game is close.Like I just mentioned,they held Dallas to 13pts thru 3 quarters,but then gave up 18pts in the 4th quarter.So the whole late game choking thing is still very real,but overall I don't think they're as bad as people are acting.Getting Burnett back this Sunday would be huge though and hopefully Hyde can continue his Nick Collins impersonation.Hyde as been solid as hell the past few weeks,never thought I would ever be able to say that lol.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****

Return to Green Bay Packers