Suns Seeking 1st Round Pick For P.J. Tucker With Clippers Interested

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Suns Seeking 1st Round Pick For P.J. Tucker With Clippers Interested 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:54 pm

The Phoenix Suns are holding out for a first round pick in exchange for P.J. Tucker.

The Los Angeles Clippers have offered a future second round pick in exchange for Tucker. Doc Rivers is known to be an admirer of Tucker's game.

Tucker will be a free agent in 2017.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

coopnyc74
Pro Prospect
And1: 451

Re: Suns Seeking 1st Round Pick For P.J. Tucker With Clippers Interested 

Post#2 » by coopnyc74 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:09 pm

Keep dreaming Phoenix.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,204

Post#3 » by King4Day » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:36 pm

coopnyc74 wrote:Keep dreaming Phoenix.

More so, keep dreaming LA.
If Korver can net a first rounder when he can only shoot (at an elite rate), Tucker should definitely be able to return one given he's a far better defender (helped make Anthony Davis a non factor earlier this year) and can hit the corner 3. He's a smart player too who would fit right into any system.
For contenders, their first rounder's are late, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#4 » by The_Hater » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:13 pm

DarkHawk wrote:

If Korver can net a first rounder when he can only shoot (at an elite rate), Tucker should definitely be able to return one given he's a far better defender (helped make Anthony Davis a non factor earlier this year) and can hit the corner 3. He's a smart player too who would fit right into any system.
For contenders, their first rounder's are late, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Cleveland was almost certainly the only team willing to give up a first for Korver and Phoenix has no prayer of getting first rounder for Tucker from any team. The other poster is 100% correct on this one.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
King4Day
RealGM

Post#5 » by King4Day » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:33 pm

The_Hater wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:

Cleveland was almost certainly the only team willing to give up a first for Korver and Phoenix has no prayer of getting first rounder for Tucker from any team. The other poster is 100% correct on this one.

We shall see. Nobody had Phoenix getting a first rounder for Markieff Morris last season and they ended up with a lottery pick. Contenders with no use for developing a late round pick will be in demand for a player like him.
If LAC was healthy, I could see them making a run at him but since their season is ultimately over, I don't think they're going to pull the trigger.
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#6 » by malgus » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:37 pm

2nd round pick tops. Maybe two protected seconds.

He wouldn't even see the court on the clippers, why's that worth a 1st round pick?
DoubleO8
Rookie
And1: 308

Post#7 » by DoubleO8 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:21 pm

Well we know Doc loves blowing those first rounders. Let's make a deal!! (Wayne Brady voice)
youblewwit
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#8 » by youblewwit » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:33 pm

DarkHawk wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:

We shall see. Nobody had Phoenix getting a first rounder for Markieff Morris last season and they ended up with a lottery pick. Contenders with no use for developing a late round pick will be in demand for a player like him.
If LAC was healthy, I could see them making a run at him but since their season is ultimately over, I don't think they're going to pull the trigger.

Morris was under a bargain contract for multiple years. PJ Tucker will turn 32 before the season ends. He's an expiring contract. His numbers have declined for the past 4 years, including his shooting numbers. Last year he shot .352 3pt from Corner-3s, which was below average (slightly). I don't know what his Corner-3 % is this season, but he's shooting .399 fg%, .301 3pt% overall for the season.

It's funny to hear a PHO reporter say his trade market is 'robust' and PHO fans have run with it thinking they can get a 1stRounder... yet the best offer is only a 2ndRounder. So I'm going to have to quote coopnyc74 here...

Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,852

Post#9 » by Woodsanity » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Doc is a moron GM so its not impossible for him to part ways with a 1st rounder since he gives them out like cotton candy but hopefully not for a bleh player in PJ Tucker.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#10 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:47 pm

Well, the Clippers first rounder is very low tho.

They would be quite a bit better with PJ on board. The question is whether they'll all be healthy and try to make a deep playoff push
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
King4Day
RealGM

Post#11 » by King4Day » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:48 pm

youblewwit wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Morris was under a bargain contract for multiple years. PJ Tucker will turn 32 before the season ends. He's an expiring contract. His numbers have declined for the past 4 years, including his shooting numbers. Last year he shot .352 3pt from Corner-3s, which was below average (slightly). I don't know what his Corner-3 % is this season, but he's shooting .399 fg%, .301 3pt% overall for the season.

It's funny to hear a PHO reporter say his trade market is 'robust' and PHO fans have run with it thinking they can get a 1stRounder... yet the best offer is only a 2ndRounder. So I'm going to have to quote coopnyc74 here...

Morris was still a headcase who was in the middle of a legal investigation (and might still be). The fact that teams knew he wanted out of Phoenix and was having a really bad year is why it was impressive they still landed a first for him.

His shooting is a bonus, even it's not as good as it was. His defense is why teams want him.
Maybe teams won't find him worth a first. Then he stays and that's it. The point is, he's not a detriment to Phoenix. He's a leader and is a team player. He does have the ability to hit the 3 and is an excellent defender and can absolutely help a contender. Yes he's expiring. A team that's over the cap won't be able to sign him in the offseason. But if they already have him, they can go over the cap to keep re-sign him.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#12 » by ATTL » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:36 pm

2nd rounders aren't very valuable, especially from the teams that would want tucker. Suns may as well keep him if a late second is all they can get.

Thinking you can get a defensive stalwart for a late 2nd, keep dreaming nerds.
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 5,828

Post#13 » by TeamTragic » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:46 pm

Doc needs to make a decent offer. We are not talking about Knight here.
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#14 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:09 pm

DarkHawk wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:

Lol that's the Wizards awful front office for you.
As soon as I saw this wiretap, I was praying that the Wizards weren't mentioned. Ernie Grunfeld likes to give first round picks to Phoenix every other year.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#15 » by MitchB3 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:10 pm

Doc is here trading this team future, while they can't even make it out the first round, watch whatever draft pick he trades away becomes either a decent player or an all-star caliber type player.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#16 » by The_Hater » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:14 pm

MitchB3 wrote:Doc is here trading this team future, while they can't even make it out the first round, watch whatever draft pick he trades away becomes either a decent player or an all-star caliber type player.

The Clips beat The Spurs in the first round in 2015 and beat the Warriors in the first round in 2014.

Hard to blame Doc for losing last season without his 2 best players.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Years90Suns
Senior
And1: 280

Post#17 » by Years90Suns » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:14 pm

People tend to overestimate draft picks, when most of them either are crap or take years to develop.
The Clippers need some veteran presence now that CP and Griffin are in their primes (well, Griffin could have his prime ahead, may be).
Anyway, as a Suns fan, I would keep Tucker, Chandler, Bledsoe and would try to trade Dudley and Knight (for a bag of peanuts) so the youngs would continue having guidance on how to defend, how to carry themselves in this world, etc.

A second round player or even a late first round could easily take 5 years to be a good player, or probably will not be a good player ever...
youblewwit
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#18 » by youblewwit » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:44 am

Years90Suns wrote:People tend to overestimate draft picks, when most of them either are crap or take years to develop.

The Suns should totally trade their draft picks.

Return to Wiretap Discussion