Falcons Post Game/Season Review/2017-18 Leadup

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,902

Re: Falcons Post Game/Season Review/2017-18 Leadup 

Post#121 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:55 pm

“I don’t think we need to rebuild. We need to reload,” Rodgers said. “We have a lot of players who are young who are big contributors for us. We just need to reload a bit this offseason.”

“I still feel pretty young,” Rodgers said. “I think I have a number of years left in me to play at a high level, and we just have to make sure we’re going all in every year to win. I think we can take a big step this offseason.”
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#122 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:58 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Football has such a random nature to it, especially when you get down to the best teams. So much is based on momentum, matchups, and luck really. Add a made fg and subtract a Rip goal line fumble. It's now 10-10 instead of 17-0. Packers have all the momentum and confidence and start playing looser, while Atlanta tightens up and feels the pressure. Who knows how the rest of the game plays out.

All I know is this was one of my favorite Packer teams. From 4-6 to the NFC Championship with all those injuries is something to be proud of.

I've been a big proponent of "it's so close and the playoffs are very random" at this point. I know that McCarthy won't be fired and that TT probably hangs around.

All of that said, take a look at the bigger picture. This keeps happening. It could definitely be better.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#123 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:01 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:Football has such a random nature to it, especially when you get down to the best teams. So much is based on momentum, matchups, and luck really. Add a made fg and subtract a Rip goal line fumble. It's now 10-10 instead of 17-0. Packers have all the momentum and confidence and start playing looser, while Atlanta tightens up and feels the pressure. Who knows how the rest of the game plays out.

All I know is this was one of my favorite Packer teams. From 4-6 to the NFC Championship with all those injuries is something to be proud of.

I've been a big proponent of "it's so close and the playoffs are very random" at this point. I know that McCarthy won't be fired and that TT probably hangs around.

All of that said, take a look at the bigger picture. This keeps happening. It could definitely be better.

I totally get that, but so many Packer fans only think things can get better with new management and coaching staff, ignoring the fact that it could (and probably more likely) get way way worse. I think about Philly and Andy Reid. They had some really bad luck year in and year out and every Eagle fan thought switching coaches would put them over the top. Now I'm sure they'd be willing to part with quite a bit to have him back.
Do it for Chuck
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,902

Post#124 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:10 pm

I worry about that every day. No guarantee that the next TT and next MM will be better. Or even as good.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#125 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:13 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

I totally get that, but so many Packer fans only think things can get better with new management and coaching staff, ignoring the fact that it could (and probably more likely) get way way worse. I think about Philly and Andy Reid. They had some really bad luck year in and year out and every Eagle fan thought switching coaches would put them over the top. Now I'm sure they'd be willing to part with quite a bit to have him back.

I've been hammering that idea in with friends that want McCarthy canned tomorrow. I've always been of the mind that we're not going to can McCarthy so I'm going to live with it - and half of the reason is that it can get much worse than it already is.

I'd like to change the approach a bit, though, even with McCarthy and TT.

1. Get some vets on defense.
2. Let Dom move on.
3. Do not waste time trying to replace Lacy or getting a RB that is anything more than a scrap heap pickup. We came back from 4-6 because McCarthy was accidentally forced to stop trying to "establish the run" early in games. I don't want to waste 15 plays turning around and handing it to even an above-average RB next year. Letting Rodgers throw short passes and just having Rip or Montgomery in the backfield to hand for a free 7 yards if the box looks right is good enough for a running game.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Post#126 » by humanrefutation » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:21 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

The difference is that we have Aaron Rodgers. By the time the Eagles were on the downswing, they were trotting out Michael Vick and Nick Foles. I also believe Reid's in-game decision-making + Alex Smith are going to limit the progress of this Chiefs team, too.

I think with a QB like Rodgers, you're guaranteed to be competitive for a playoff spot every season. So, a coach would ideally help put them over the top with smart playcalling, in-game decision-making, player management and staff selection. I'm not sure if Mac brings anything to the table, and at his worst, he knocks a few things off of it.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#127 » by humanrefutation » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:26 pm

BTW, what a **** sports weekend for me. Packers lose in NFC title game. Bucks lose 5 in a row with some internal bickering. Liverpool suffers a crushing 3-2 loss to **** Swansea City at Anfield, possibly ending their league title hopes. The only silver lining was Bucky's win in Minnesota - especially the performance of Ethan Happ.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,099

Post#128 » by JimmyTheKid » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:40 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

The difference is that we have Aaron Rodgers. By the time the Eagles were on the downswing, they were trotting out Michael Vick and Nick Foles. I also believe Reid's in-game decision-making + Alex Smith are going to limit the progress of this Chiefs team, too.

I think with a QB like Rodgers, you're guaranteed to be competitive for a playoff spot every season. So, a coach would ideally help put them over the top with smart playcalling, in-game decision-making, player management and staff selection. I'm not sure if Mac brings anything to the table, and at his worst, he knocks a few things off of it.

Yup. We honestly don't have any idea how good/great/bad/average McCarthy is at being a head coach. Pointing to his W/L record, when he's had arguably the best player to ever play the most important position in all of professional sports, is simply lazy. I'm not being sarcastic when I say that a large majority of the, say 50, current and former top coaches/coordinators would have a similar W/L record as head coach with Aaron Rodgers under center.

I do appreciate McCarthy's understated demeanor. Never gets too high or low. I think he has his guys ready to play every Sunday. That said, I think he struggles as a play caller, in-game adjuster, and most importantly, a CLOSER. I think he's a condescending prick because he feels he's "a highly successful football coach," and should never be questioned about X's and O's by the media. But the fact of the matter is he's had 11 years and one Super Bowl appearance. Its time to give someone else a chance with the bright shiny toy that is Aaron Rodgers. The relationship has run its course.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#129 » by trwi7 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:58 pm

humanrefutation wrote:BTW, what a **** sports weekend for me. Packers lose in NFC title game. Bucks lose 5 in a row with some internal bickering. Liverpool suffers a crushing 3-2 loss to **** Swansea City at Anfield, possibly ending their league title hopes. The only silver lining was Bucky's win in Minnesota - especially the performance of Ethan Happ.

Wasn't too bad for me. Chelsea won, Admirals won 3 of 4 during the week, Preds won 4 of 5 on their road trip. Badgers beat Michigan and Minnesota though both games were too close for comfort. Badger hockey took 3 of 4 points from Minnesota.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#130 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:00 pm

I would love to know why late in the year Randle was giving such a big cushion; on some of these plays he gave so much room he never stood a chance. It was mindboggling. Gunter took his share of beatings but at least he was getting up and challenging WR's. His problem is he's just not fast enough to run with the really elite guys. I think theres a place for Gunter in a CB rotation he just can't be your top guy. I have some hope for a Randle rebound. He had a ton of injuries this year and does have athleticism on and decent ball skills. I'm probably least optimistic about Rollins. I hope I'm wrong but I'm just not sure he has the feel to play CB at a high level. The Packers NEED a fast CB so so badly this offseason.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#131 » by Flames24Rulz » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:04 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
“I don’t think we need to rebuild. We need to reload,” Rodgers said. “We have a lot of players who are young who are big contributors for us. We just need to reload a bit this offseason.”

“I still feel pretty young,” Rodgers said. “I think I have a number of years left in me to play at a high level, and we just have to make sure we’re going all in every year to win. I think we can take a big step this offseason.”

With Brady playing as well as he is even though he's nearly 40, that gives me some confidence that Rodgers can realistically perform at the same type of level for the next 6-7 years. Why not? With QB's being as protected as they are now, as long as he stays healthy, there still should be a good window of opportunity for the Packers to cash in on at least 1 more championship run.

I had a conversation with someone earlier today too. Subtract the Patriots and what other organization would you rather be a fan of right now than the Packers? Even the Patriots, for as good as they've been, have only won 1 SB over the last decade. The playoff losses aren't fun, but honestly, I feel pretty good about how the season shook out especially considering where we were at during Thanksgiving. Even though the end result wasn't what we wanted, that Dallas game is still going to be remembered as one of the all-time great divisional playoff games ever.

Dallas and Atlanta are probably going to be our biggest competition the next few years. As long as we get any sort of semblance of an upgrade on defense, though, I still would trust and take #12 in a one game scenario over anyone in the league.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#132 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:07 pm

Wasn't Randall a very highly rated PFF guy in his rookie season and was good for the Jags game? I hope that he finds his way back to that after he gets over these injuries.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Re: RE: Re: Falcons Post Game/Season Review/2017-18 Leadup 

Post#133 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:11 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Wasn't Randall a very highly rated PFF guy in his rookie season and was good for the Jags game? I hope that he finds his way back to that after he gets over these injuries.

He was and yes he was excellent against the jags. Then he got lit on fire by diggs in Minnesota and seemingly forgot how to play football from there on out.

Injuries certainly played a part. He had the bad groin injury that required surgery then also had knee, foot and a shoulder injuries.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#134 » by humanrefutation » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:13 pm

trwi7 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:BTW, what a **** sports weekend for me. Packers lose in NFC title game. Bucks lose 5 in a row with some internal bickering. Liverpool suffers a crushing 3-2 loss to **** Swansea City at Anfield, possibly ending their league title hopes. The only silver lining was Bucky's win in Minnesota - especially the performance of Ethan Happ.

Wasn't too bad for me. Chelsea won, Admirals won 3 of 4 during the week, Preds won 4 of 5 on their road trip. Badgers beat Michigan and Minnesota though both games were too close for comfort. Badger hockey took 3 of 4 points from Minnesota.

You're a Chelsea and Schalke fan? :nonono:
trwi7
RealGM

Post#135 » by trwi7 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:16 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

Like, Chelsea I get you shaking your head at but Schalke? :lol:
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#136 » by humanrefutation » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:23 pm

trwi7 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

I'm shaking my head at being fans of two clubs! Pick one and get over it - and preferably, pick Schalke. GTFO with this Chelsea nonsense. :D
trwi7
RealGM

Post#137 » by trwi7 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:28 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

I'm shaking my head at being fans of two clubs! Pick one and get over it - and preferably, pick Schalke. GTFO with this Chelsea nonsense. :D

It's two different leagues! Sure they could meet in the Champions or Europa League but how likely is that with Schalke's mediocrity? :lol:

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#138 » by humanrefutation » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:36 pm

trwi7 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

It's two different leagues! Sure they could meet in the Champions or Europa League but how likely is that with Schalke's mediocrity? :lol:

You're gonna end up being like PckrsBcksGphsZgsMrq - rooting for three different college teams. I mean, Lord help us if he decides to get another degree somewhere, I don't think his username can fit another college.

And Schalke is just a couple years removed from playing Chelsea in the Champions League! They also have some good young players (that I'm hoping Liverpool will eventually poach) - namely Breel Embolo and Max Meyer. Don't root for those scoundrels from London!
trwi7
RealGM

Post#139 » by trwi7 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:47 pm

I need an English club and a German club. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,260

Post#140 » by Mags FTW » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:47 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I worry about that every day. No guarantee that the next TT and next MM will be better. Or even as good.

I don't worry about that with Dom. He can go.

Return to Green Bay Packers