ImageImageImageImageImage

O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::.

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1781 » by PeoplesChamp » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:17 am

They're probably on the right track with the neutron star. But anything right now would be a guess. And we're probably not likely to know anytime soon.
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#1782 » by spaceballer » Wed Jan 4, 2017 1:40 am

Well, this isn't something that happens every day. They discovered a new organ in the human body!

http://www.livescience.com/57370-mesentery-new-organ-identified.html
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#1783 » by spaceballer » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:21 pm

They may have discovered metallic hydrogen.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-38768683
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,476

Post#1784 » by j4remi » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:30 pm

spaceballer wrote:They may have discovered metallic hydrogen.

WOW! I mean, it sounds like we should hold off on getting excited and it's probably a long ways away from utility but the potential if it's legit is amazing.

It has been suggested for example that metallic hydrogen might be metastable; that is - once made under extreme conditions it would maintain its state even when brought back up to ambient pressures and temperatures.

And if, as some think, it is also a zero-resistance superconductor, that could lead to a revolution in the transmission and storage of electricity.

The US space agency is also fascinated by the material. Already super-cold liquid hydrogen makes for a very powerful rocket propellant, but the dense metallic form of hydrogen promises to deliver really colossal levels of thrust that would enable huge payloads to be lifted off Earth.

But all this is in the realms of speculation for now. First, it must be shown that the Harvard work can be reproduced. If that's possible - and some are saying that is a very big "if" - then more sizeable quantities of metallic hydrogen need to be created.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1785 » by j4remi » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:48 pm

More theories connected to the Em Drive and it may explain dwarf galaxies...haven't bumped this thread or contributed in a while but this was a cool read.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/emdrive-uk-scientist-claims-physics-190111061.html
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

movingon
Sixth Man
And1: 327

Post#1786 » by movingon » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:40 pm

The metallic hydrogen thing is really cool, but the results are controversial:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/doubts-cloud-claims-of-metallic-hydrogen/

j4remi wrote:
spaceballer wrote:They may have discovered metallic hydrogen.

WOW! I mean, it sounds like we should hold off on getting excited and it's probably a long ways away from utility but the potential if it's legit is amazing.

It has been suggested for example that metallic hydrogen might be metastable; that is - once made under extreme conditions it would maintain its state even when brought back up to ambient pressures and temperatures.

And if, as some think, it is also a zero-resistance superconductor, that could lead to a revolution in the transmission and storage of electricity.

The US space agency is also fascinated by the material. Already super-cold liquid hydrogen makes for a very powerful rocket propellant, but the dense metallic form of hydrogen promises to deliver really colossal levels of thrust that would enable huge payloads to be lifted off Earth.

But all this is in the realms of speculation for now. First, it must be shown that the Harvard work can be reproduced. If that's possible - and some are saying that is a very big "if" - then more sizeable quantities of metallic hydrogen need to be created.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#1787 » by PeoplesChamp » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:44 am

j4remi wrote:More theories connected to the Em Drive and it may explain dwarf galaxies...haven't bumped this thread or contributed in a while but this was a cool read.

Great read. It's always a shame to hear about scientists acting like religious nuts. The pursuit should always be to improve our understanding. We should always be open to new ideas & discoveries. I hope we find that this thing actually does work.
NYKNICKPLAYA
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#1788 » by NYKNICKPLAYA » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:49 am

PeoplesChamp wrote:
j4remi wrote:More theories connected to the Em Drive and it may explain dwarf galaxies...haven't bumped this thread or contributed in a while but this was a cool read.

Great read. It's always a shame to hear about scientists acting like religious nuts. The pursuit should always be to improve our understanding. We should always be open to new ideas & discoveries. I hope we find that this thing actually does work.

I agree. The pursuit for understanding is what matters.

So many people are close minded, or have an agenda, or are set in on their beliefs.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1789 » by j4remi » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:53 pm

NYKNICKPLAYA wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:

So many people are close minded, or have an agenda, or are set in on their beliefs.

It's funny too because I remember seeing that String Theory floated around but wasn't taken seriously for a long time. Reading a Short History of Nearly Everything, you get some glimpses into the in-fighting and struggles that scientists in all fields went through to make discoveries (not to mention the confusion and missteps along the way). It's fascinating but it also makes me feel like skepticism is very healthy but outright shutting down ideas without going through the full process of experimenting, repeating and reviewing is always gonna be a problem unfortunately.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#1790 » by PeoplesChamp » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:26 pm

Right. We know what we know until we know more.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#1791 » by PeoplesChamp » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:52 pm

So......there's this.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nasa-made-huge-discovery-planets-205607357.html

Has NASA found evidence of life in space? Some of the world's leading voices on life beyond Earth will gather for a NASA press conference Wednesday where an important announcement on planets outside our solar system was expected to be made, NASA announced Monday. Exoplanets are widely believed to be the best hope of finding life elsewhere in the universe.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,233

Post#1792 » by gavran » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:55 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:So......there's this.

Has NASA found evidence of life in space? Some of the world's leading voices on life beyond Earth will gather for a NASA press conference Wednesday where an important announcement on planets outside our solar system was expected to be made, NASA announced Monday. Exoplanets are widely believed to be the best hope of finding life elsewhere in the universe.

They will announce nothing.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1793 » by j4remi » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:00 pm

If it's that big an announcement, it'll have more hype going in IMO. They do these "big announcement coming" things whenever funding starts to get mentioned (I don't mind that though because NASA needs MORE funding if anything) so with the new administration I could see them picking out something incremental and making an announcement for it. But of course it'd be great if this was a discovery of some serious signs of life out there...it's only a matter of time at this point.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#1794 » by PeoplesChamp » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:03 pm

j4remi wrote:

If it's that big an announcement, it'll have more hype going in IMO. They do these "big announcement coming" things whenever funding starts to get mentioned (I don't mind that though because NASA needs MORE funding if anything) so with the new administration I could see them picking out something incremental and making an announcement for it. But of course it'd be great if this was a discovery of some serious signs of life out there...it's only a matter of time at this point.

The lack of funding for NASA is sickening.

They are planning to send a lander to Europa to take a look for life. I'm truly excited about that.
movingon
Sixth Man
And1: 327

Post#1795 » by movingon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

j4remi wrote:
NYKNICKPLAYA wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:

It's funny too because I remember seeing that String Theory floated around but wasn't taken seriously for a long time. Reading a Short History of Nearly Everything, you get some glimpses into the in-fighting and struggles that scientists in all fields went through to make discoveries (not to mention the confusion and missteps along the way). It's fascinating but it also makes me feel like skepticism is very healthy but outright shutting down ideas without going through the full process of experimenting, repeating and reviewing is always gonna be a problem unfortunately.

As a scientist I find these comments incredibly frustrating. Good scientists are skeptical and that's exactly what the scientific community is being. Both this EM drive scientist and string theorists are given ample opportunity to make their claims, and these things are discussed in serious forums. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, that's how it works. We are not religious nuts, we are simply rigorous.

As for string theory, everyone agrees it's beautiful mathematics and it's taught in every serious graduate program. The problem is and has always been that it lacks any experimental observable to validate it.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#1796 » by Barcs » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:03 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with science having high standards of scrutiny for new ideas. In the end, if an idea has merit it will eventually be taken seriously. It's not just some random dude in an office checking off boxes on what is realistic and what's not. The evidence will speak for itself. One should always be skeptical at first when presented with any new idea. It's literally the exact opposite of religion. Don't compare hardworking scientists to religious nuts that blindly believe their one way is absolute truth. Science is constantly updating and changing as new info comes out.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,884

Post#1797 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:04 am

Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
WesleyExChiFan
Starter
And1: 1,014

Post#1798 » by WesleyExChiFan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:53 am

Barcs wrote:There is absolutely nothing wrong with science having high standards of scrutiny for new ideas. In the end, if an idea has merit it will eventually be taken seriously. It's not just some random dude in an office checking off boxes on what is realistic and what's not. The evidence will speak for itself. One should always be skeptical at first when presented with any new idea. It's literally the exact opposite of religion. Don't compare hardworking scientists to religious nuts that blindly believe their one way is absolute truth. Science is constantly updating and changing as new info comes out.

To be fair, some scientific people are that way too.

I watched that movie, Religulous that Bill Maher put together. I was expecting the result you described, but what I saw was that the Catholic priests in Rome were the most open to new ideas and the scientists were the least.

That's not to endorse one side of the other btw, it's just that people in general are more complex than their religious (or non) beliefs.
knickfan
Head Coach
And1: 84

Post#1799 » by knickfan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:24 am

"Mathematics is the language in which God has written the universe." - Galileo Galilei

Sweet thread! Personally I feel God is a mathematician and scientist.

Are we sims living in a simulated environment as Elon Musk mentioned? 90 pages this must have been discussed. Wish I was a part of this from the beginning :)
http://www.knicksology.com - Knicks board fantasy ball
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#1800 » by PeoplesChamp » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:35 am

knickfan wrote:"Mathematics is the language in which God has written the universe." - Galileo Galilei

Sweet thread! Personally I feel God is a mathematician and scientist.

Are we sims living in a simulated environment as Elon Musk mentioned? 90 pages this must have been discussed. Wish I was a part of this from the beginning :)

To your point....

Return to New York Knicks