Image Image Image Image

OT: How much would you offer for Jimmy Garoppolo

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Re: OT: How much would you offer for Jimmy Garoppolo 

Post#21 » by Axxo » Thu Feb 9, 2017 6:42 pm

Bill Polian on Mike and Mike said he thought no higher than a 2nd rounder if thats a crucial need. Anything more is reaching too far. Says JG is better than any of the QBs in the draft who all are a few years away from being ready to play.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#22 » by Chi town » Thu Feb 9, 2017 6:58 pm

BigUps wrote:
chrispatrick wrote:
BigUps wrote:The Patriots have an aging QB in Brady and a supposed star they want to trade in Garoppolo? No thanks. This smells bad. There's no way Bellicheck trades Jimmy if the thinks he's a legitimate superstar/QB. I've also seen Josh McDaniels make Cassel and Brissett look like decent QB's.

And, to build off of this further, outside of Brees (who was injured) there is rarely a good QB ever traded in the NFL. If a team is looking to move a QB there's a reason why, they aren't that good.

I'd rather find a QB through the draft than get the next Matt Flynn.

I don't think it smells bad. Brady has consistently maintained he wants to play 3+ years and Garoppolo's contract expires after next year. Therefore, in order to retain him, they'd have to pay their backup QB a minimum of $18 millionish, which simply isn't an option.

And while Brissett was fine, he didn't really do anything, they had an absurdly conservative gameplan with him so he didn't really show anything (for better or for worse).

I'm not saying Jimmy G. will be great, I'm just saying the Patriots are in a position where they pretty much have to trade him, regardless of how talented he is. That's why he's an exception to the "no team would trade a worthwhile QB" logic.

I get all of this, but at the end of the day there is zero reason for the Patriots to trade him this year. They can keep him and move him next year mid-season if they want to. They can also sign him and overpay a backup QB if they want too for a year or two if thats how long Brady lasts.

If they thought he was the next great one, they wouldn't get rid of him. Its really that simple. As a Bears fan, you know how hard it is to find a good QB. You just don't get rid of them.

Jimmy G could also request or force a trade. He wants to get paid not sit behind Brady. After this summer his value begins to decline due to him needing to be resigned.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#23 » by Chi town » Thu Feb 9, 2017 7:01 pm

Axxo wrote:Bill Polian on Mike and Mike said he thought no higher than a 2nd rounder if thats a crucial need. Anything more is reaching too far. Says JG is better than any of the QBs in the draft who all are a few years away from being ready to play.

I think Polian is spot on. Our 2nd rounder is almost a late 1st though.

I like the idea of trading back and picking up another late 1st or early 2nd. Use of of those picks to get Jimmy G.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Re: RE: Re: OT: How much would you offer for Jimmy Garoppolo 

Post#24 » by Red Larrivee » Thu Feb 9, 2017 7:29 pm

RedBulls83 wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:Depends, is Josh McDaniels coming with him as the OC or nah? I prefer not to have any promising QB learning an offense under Loggains.

So you prefer that the Bears should keep neglecting the most important position in the league?

Don't spend high on a QB this year. Let Hoyer run the show. Target someone in the middle rounds that has a reasonable risk to reward. Fire Loggains after the season and upgrade your OC before you spend high on a QB.
Lauri_Legend
Analyst
And1: 1,666

Post#25 » by Lauri_Legend » Thu Feb 9, 2017 7:36 pm

I think Garoppolo is in a similar situation as Osweiler was last season. Just watched a few games and Houston had to spend big money to get him. It's a risk. Big risk. But then again, drafting a good QB with a high draft pick is a risk as well. I say let's go for it.
Admin of DieHardChicagoBullsFans: https://www.facebook.com/DieHardChicagoBullsFans
Chi town
RealGM

Post#26 » by Chi town » Thu Feb 9, 2017 7:41 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
RedBulls83 wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:Depends, is Josh McDaniels coming with him as the OC or nah? I prefer not to have any promising QB learning an offense under Loggains.

So you prefer that the Bears should keep neglecting the most important position in the league?

Don't spend high on a QB this year. Let Hoyer run the show. Target someone in the middle rounds that has a reasonable risk to reward. Fire Loggains after the season and upgrade your OC before you spend high on a QB.

Hoyer is Eddy Curry. All stats that don't matter. He can't score. Move the chains and field goals. You are not winning anything with Hoyer. I'd rather have Jay back then Hoyer.

I'm cool with Jimmy G but don't want to give up two 2nds unless we trade back and get another pick.

I'm wanting Solomon Thomas more and more. Think he is going to be a freak next to Floyd.
chrispatrick
Starter
And1: 1,261

Post#27 » by chrispatrick » Thu Feb 9, 2017 8:01 pm

BigUps wrote:
chrispatrick wrote:
BigUps wrote:The Patriots have an aging QB in Brady and a supposed star they want to trade in Garoppolo? No thanks. This smells bad. There's no way Bellicheck trades Jimmy if the thinks he's a legitimate superstar/QB. I've also seen Josh McDaniels make Cassel and Brissett look like decent QB's.

And, to build off of this further, outside of Brees (who was injured) there is rarely a good QB ever traded in the NFL. If a team is looking to move a QB there's a reason why, they aren't that good.

I don't think it smells bad. Brady has consistently maintained he wants to play 3+ years and Garoppolo's contract expires after next year. Therefore, in order to retain him, they'd have to pay their backup QB a minimum of $18 millionish, which simply isn't an option.

And while Brissett was fine, he didn't really do anything, they had an absurdly conservative gameplan with him so he didn't really show anything (for better or for worse).

I'm not saying Jimmy G. will be great, I'm just saying the Patriots are in a position where they pretty much have to trade him, regardless of how talented he is. That's why he's an exception to the "no team would trade a worthwhile QB" logic.

I get all of this, but at the end of the day there is zero reason for the Patriots to trade him this year. They can keep him and move him next year mid-season if they want to. They can also sign him and overpay a backup QB if they want too for a year or two if thats how long Brady lasts.

If they thought he was the next great one, they wouldn't get rid of him. Its really that simple. As a Bears fan, you know how hard it is to find a good QB. You just don't get rid of them.

Very strongly disagree. Garopollo's value drops significantly if they don't trade him this year. Players (and QBs especially) take significant time to integrate to an offense so whatever offers they receive mid-season will be way worse than what they get now because no team is going to be helped by acquiring him mid-season. This works quite differently from the NBA in that regard as NFL playbooks take time to master.

Also, they can't trade him next year because he's a free agent next year. If they wait a year, he's a free agent, and he will most assuredly get more money elsewhere.

And yes, they'd have to get rid of him even if they thought he was a good QB (unless they kick Brady out of town). You simply can't pay a backup QB 18-20 million and expect the rest of your roster to be competitive.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,219

Post#28 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Thu Feb 9, 2017 8:13 pm

Offer the 2nd and later 4th. If they decline, move on.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#29 » by BigUps » Thu Feb 9, 2017 8:23 pm

chrispatrick wrote:
BigUps wrote:
chrispatrick wrote:

Very strongly disagree. Garopollo's value drops significantly if they don't trade him this year. Players (and QBs especially) take significant time to integrate to an offense so whatever offers they receive mid-season will be way worse than what they get now because no team is going to be helped by acquiring him mid-season. This works quite differently from the NBA in that regard as NFL playbooks take time to master.

Also, they can't trade him next year because he's a free agent next year. If they wait a year, he's a free agent, and he will most assuredly get more money elsewhere.

And yes, they'd have to get rid of him even if they thought he was a good QB (unless they kick Brady out of town). You simply can't pay a backup QB 18-20 million and expect the rest of your roster to be competitive.

There will always be a Sam Bradford type of trade out there for Jimmy G. I'd also say that Jimmy G. will get paid what he's worth and it won't be 18-20 million in a year if he doesn't see the field again.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#30 » by Mech Engineer » Thu Feb 9, 2017 8:23 pm

Axxo wrote:Bill Polian on Mike and Mike said he thought no higher than a 2nd rounder if thats a crucial need. Anything more is reaching too far. Says JG is better than any of the QBs in the draft who all are a few years away from being ready to play.

It's a crap shoot for any young QB just like draft picks becoming franchise players in the NBA.

All these GMs/analysts build fancy looking reasons about QBs/NBA draft picks but in their heart they know it is a complete crap shoot.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: OT: How much would you offer for Jimmy Garoppolo 

Post#31 » by Red Larrivee » Thu Feb 9, 2017 8:24 pm

Chi town wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:
RedBulls83 wrote:So you prefer that the Bears should keep neglecting the most important position in the league?

Hoyer is Eddy Curry. All stats that don't matter. He can't score. Move the chains and field goals. You are not winning anything with Hoyer. I'd rather have Jay back then Hoyer.

I'm cool with Jimmy G but don't want to give up two 2nds unless we trade back and get another pick.

I'm wanting Solomon Thomas more and more. Think he is going to be a freak next to Floyd.

I agree with you. I hate Hoyer, but to me this draft is loaded with defensive studs. I would hate more to miss out on one while reaching for a QB.

So, I'm fine with Hoyer starting at that cost and going all in next year for our QB.
r1terrell23
Bench Warmer
And1: 540

Post#32 » by r1terrell23 » Thu Feb 9, 2017 8:48 pm

BigUps wrote:
chrispatrick wrote:

No one is trading for Jimmy during the season when he would be a FA at the end. This isn't the NBA where that is logical. No one knows what Jimmy really is yet so teams want to evaluate him for a season before offering him a contract. Why would Jimmy stay with the Patriots after next season to be a backup when he can go somewhere else and start? The Patriots would have to franchise him and pay him 25 million/year to ride the bench for a few years and that's not gonna happen.
chrispatrick
Starter
And1: 1,261

Post#33 » by chrispatrick » Thu Feb 9, 2017 8:54 pm

BigUps wrote:
chrispatrick wrote:
BigUps wrote:

There will always be a Sam Bradford type of trade out there for Jimmy G. I'd also say that Jimmy G. will get paid what he's worth and it won't be 18-20 million in a year if he doesn't see the field again.

The Sam Bradford trade took a very unique set of circumstances where a team thought they were a super bowl contender, there was a multi-year injury to Bridgewater, they could afford Bradford because Bridgewater was on a rookie contract, and the injury happened in the pre-season where they figured there was enough time to assimilate Bradford into the playbook.

I do think in the absence of him playing again, he is an absolute lock for $18m a year, given that he's shown much more on tape than Osweiler did. If he was a free agent today, you can be sure the Bears would pay him that and that's not going to change if there's no tape on him next year.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,826

Post#34 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Feb 9, 2017 10:14 pm

If Pace has identified him as a Franchise guy then my upper limit would be 2 2nds or the 2018 1st.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,692

Post#35 » by nitetrain8603 » Thu Feb 9, 2017 11:22 pm

As a non-Bears fan, I wouldn't trade for him if it's anything more than a 3rd rounder. Otherwise, take your chance with Watson.
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,508

Post#36 » by GetBuLLish » Thu Feb 9, 2017 11:28 pm

Mech Engineer wrote:
jc23 wrote:not a big football guy but i do know your quarterback needs to be a leader of men. I would have gotten rid of cutler years ago, even if it was a buyout.

Cutler is the football version of Melo....drafted in Denver, two big market teams looking for a star traded for them, high profile wife, dumb decision makers, bad leaders, smug smiles, pretenders as elite players and you never win anything with them as leaders.

Never thought of this comparison. And even as someone who has defended Cutler for years, it's pretty spot on.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#37 » by kyrv » Thu Feb 9, 2017 11:36 pm

chrispatrick wrote:Most NFL people have a 2nd or 3rd round grade on Watson. That's not to say that NFL people haven't been plenty wrong before, but I don't think this is the year to take a QB at #3 as it's a pretty weak class, especially if a game changing defensive lineman like Myles Garrett or Jonathan Allen are available. It wouldn't surprise me if those two go 1 and 2 though (even the QB needy Browns probably won't pass on one of those lineman given the talent disparity between them and the QBs).

Watson may well work out, but make no mistake, he's an enormous reach at #3 based purely on scouts grades. As desperate as the Bears are for a QB, this isn't the year to draft one at #3.

As for Jimmy G., the problem is that you have to start paying him big money after next year. So not only are you committing draft picks, you have to commit to him as your QB for the next few years given the massive financial investment you'll be making. If you're confident he's the guy then of course that's worth it. Given that, I'm not sure I trade more than a 2nd round plus mid-round pick for him (probably not 2nd and 3rd). I'm not sure that's enough to get it done.

The Bears QB problem is one that doesn't have a great solution right now.

There is no way Watson lasts until the second round.

I don't trust Jimmy G, but you have to have a QB. 4th rounder or even 3rd, I would think the Pats just keep him.

Your proposal I think at least gets you to the table.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,826

Post#38 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:03 am

Anyone who wouldn't give a 2nd rounder for him is a moron.

The best franchise in the sport spent a 2nd rounder on him. Of course he's worth one of ours.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#39 » by CjayC » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:04 am

A 2nd round pick and a 4th round pick. If they are hellbent on selecting a QB in the 1st, maybe a swap of 1st round picks with the Patriots would be my absolute best offer. You could even trade back with someone else, pick up anothe 2nd round pick and give the Patriots a couple of 2nd round picks and a later pick.

Anything, but giving the #3 overall directly for him. Not worth it after 1 1/2 game and that defensive talent on the board.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#40 » by CjayC » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:28 am

chrispatrick wrote:As for Jimmy G., the problem is that you have to start paying him big money after next year. So not only are you committing draft picks, you have to commit to him as your QB for the next few years given the massive financial investment you'll be making. If you're confident he's the guy then of course that's worth it. Given that, I'm not sure I trade more than a 2nd round plus mid-round pick for him (probably not 2nd and 3rd). I'm not sure that's enough to get it done.

The Bears QB problem is one that doesn't have a great solution right now.

The Bears have nothing, but money to spend. Should have like 3rd or 4th most cap space if they cut Cutler, and others.

Tyrod Taylor, Colin Kaepernick, Brock Osweiler are essentially on 2 year prove it deals where the team owns the players rights in 2 years after the guaranteed money is paid. It sucks if you get an Osweiler, but really two years isn't gonna make or break you(Unless you're at the cap). If the player turns out good you get good production for below the market value.

I don't have a problem with spending a bit of money so we have a lot of it. Bears can re sign Alshon, extend Garoppolo, and still have room for a couple of pricey free agents. I do value our high draft selections. If it takes the #3 overall for him I'd rather just pick a QB like Mahomes, Kaaya, Peterman, Webb in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Return to Chicago Bears