Image Image Image Image

OT: How much would you offer for Jimmy Garoppolo

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

ChiCityHoops34
Sixth Man
And1: 1,796

Re: OT: How much would you offer for Jimmy Garoppolo 

Post#41 » by ChiCityHoops34 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:39 am

TheSuzerain wrote:Anyone who wouldn't give a 2nd rounder for him is a moron.

The best franchise in the sport spent a 2nd rounder on him. Of course he's worth one of ours.

Yep. I'd give up a second this year and a forth next year without even blinking.

Rebuild with Jimmy, Howard, Alshon, White (?), Long, Sitton, Whitehair, on offense.

Defense: Floyd, Mcphee, Jonathan Allen, Eric Berry (please).

I love love love Jamal Adams but most consider safeties risky that high. He has my highest grade behind Garrett on the defensive side. However I understand the value of guys getting after the qb that high in the draft.

If Cam Robinson somehow fell to 36 (if the pic isn't traded) we are set up on the offensive line like we haven't been in a lounge time.
r1terrell23
Bench Warmer
And1: 540

Post#42 » by r1terrell23 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:46 am

GetBuLLish wrote:
Mech Engineer wrote:
jc23 wrote:not a big football guy but i do know your quarterback needs to be a leader of men. I would have gotten rid of cutler years ago, even if it was a buyout.

Cutler is the football version of Melo....drafted in Denver, two big market teams looking for a star traded for them, high profile wife, dumb decision makers, bad leaders, smug smiles, pretenders as elite players and you never win anything with them as leaders.

Never thought of this comparison. And even as someone who has defended Cutler for years, it's pretty spot on.

Not really. Melo isn't a winner but he is a perennial all star and is a good basketball player. Jay Cutler sucks.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Re: RE: Re: OT: How much would you offer for Jimmy Garoppolo 

Post#43 » by Red Larrivee » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:47 am

The best franchise in the sport spent a 2nd rounder on him. Of course he's worth one of ours.

The issue is there's no way he's traded for anything less than a 1st.

1st round pick plus a new contract is the complete price.
JimmyButler21
Starter
And1: 1,558

Post#44 » by JimmyButler21 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:49 am

RedBulls83 wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:Depends, is Josh McDaniels coming with him as the OC or nah? I prefer not to have any promising QB learning an offense under Loggains.

So you prefer that the Bears should keep neglecting the most important position in the league?

The Bears have so many needs though, they can't trade 1st rounders for a quarterback that we don't even know is good. I'm not a fan of any of the QB's in this draft at #3 overall so I think I'm okay with going into 2017 with Brian Hoyer as the starter and drafting a QB in the middle of this draft and then waiting it out for what looks to be a great 2018 QB class.
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Post#45 » by Red Larrivee » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:51 am

JimmyButler21 wrote:
RedBulls83 wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:Depends, is Josh McDaniels coming with him as the OC or nah? I prefer not to have any promising QB learning an offense under Loggains.

So you prefer that the Bears should keep neglecting the most important position in the league?

The Bears have so many needs though, they can't trade 1st rounders for a quarterback that we don't even know is good. I'm not a fan of any of the QB's in this draft at #3 overall so I think I'm okay with going into 2017 with Brian Hoyer as the starter and drafting a QB in the middle of this draft and then waiting it out for what looks to be a great 2018 QB class.

Exactly. I'm fine with Jamal Adams, Jonathan Allen, or whoever the BPA is on defense. Whatever gets us closer to having an elite defense that can ease the pressure a new QB will face when we get one.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,952

Post#46 » by Chi town » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:52 am

Red Larrivee wrote:

Only way he nets a first is if Browns overpay.

I think Pace can grab him for 2nd and more later pick/s
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#47 » by CjayC » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:55 am

BigUps wrote:The Patriots have an aging QB in Brady and a supposed star they want to trade in Garoppolo? No thanks. This smells bad. There's no way Bellicheck trades Jimmy if the thinks he's a legitimate superstar/QB. I've also seen Josh McDaniels make Cassel and Brissett look like decent QB's.

And, to build off of this further, outside of Brees (who was injured) there is rarely a good QB ever traded in the NFL. If a team is looking to move a QB there's a reason why, they aren't that good.

I'd rather find a QB through the draft than get the next Matt Flynn.

Word out is that Brady wants to play for 3-5 more years and they're working on giving him a contract extension. You can't give up on one of the greatest to ever play when he had one of his best season's ever. Plus I don't think Brissett looked all that impressive, but he's a rookie. Garoppolo is a guy with talent, some people had him behind Carr as the best QB in the class. I don't think Cassel played a single non garbage time snap. Behind Palmer okay, and Leinart was a good college QB, but he was also not focused and helped big time by the talent on that team(As evidenced by the fact that Cassel still has an NFL career and Leinart doesn't).

BigUps wrote:
I get all of this, but at the end of the day there is zero reason for the Patriots to trade him this year. They can keep him and move him next year mid-season if they want to. They can also sign him and overpay a backup QB if they want too for a year or two if thats how long Brady lasts.

If they thought he was the next great one, they wouldn't get rid of him. Its really that simple. As a Bears fan, you know how hard it is to find a good QB. You just don't get rid of them.

He's a free agent next year so waiting until next season could easily backfire unless someone's starter goes down. Tom intends to play for 3-5 more years. Jimmy is a competitor and wants to play. If he wanted to wait it out for Tom to retire he definitely wouldn't be the guy, because I'd question his competitive fire. Pats can always draft another QB and when that time comes I'm sure Tom will tell Belichick to start looking if they believe Brissett isn't the guy. Pats of any team in the league shouldn't worry about that position. They've shown that they can put any warm body back there and get production so when the time comes they'll find another guy.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#48 » by CjayC » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:29 am

ChiCityHoops34 wrote:

Yep. I'd give up a second this year and a forth next year without even blinking.

Rebuild with Jimmy, Howard, Alshon, White (?), Long, Sitton, Whitehair, on offense.

Defense: Floyd, Mcphee, Jonathan Allen, Eric Berry (please).

I love love love Jamal Adams but most consider safeties risky that high. He has my highest grade behind Garrett on the defensive side. However I understand the value of guys getting after the qb that high in the draft.

If Cam Robinson somehow fell to 36 (if the pic isn't traded) we are set up on the offensive line like we haven't been in a lounge time.

I believe Adams is a pretty safe bet. Eric Berry and Sean Taylor were the last two to go in the Top 5 and Adams is THAT level of prospect coming out. Guy's within the last 6 years that weren't picked in the Top 5 , but still went first round are Earl Thomas, Eric Reid, Harrison Smith, Ha-Ha Clinton Dix, Deone Buchanon. Jalen Ramsey was a "DB" prospect and could have played FS. Kenny Vacaro is coming off a near probowl season.

I've read that safeties are one of the positions that hit more in the first round since you have to stand out to be drafted that high as a safety to begin with. On the flip there's Marc Barron, Calvin Pryor, Jimmie Ward that haven't worked recently as first round safeties(That I can think of).
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#49 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:46 am

Not to be the bad guy here, but I'm going to move this topic to the Bears board. Since it's not the off-season here, plus we need to garner traffic over there as well.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#50 » by rtblues » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:49 am

96 passes attempted in his NFL career, total.
Calm down please...
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,726

Post#51 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:57 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:

That's a whole different discussion. I was merely commenting on the handful of people who said they'd give a 3rd or 4th at most, which is frankly laughable.
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: OT: How much would you offer for Jimmy Garoppolo 

Post#52 » by Red Larrivee » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:19 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

That's a whole different discussion. I was merely commenting on the handful of people who said they'd give a 3rd or 4th at most, which is frankly laughable.

I agree. BB isn't going to sell him low when there's clearly a market for him. I'm just worried that we wouldn't provide him with the right system to maximize his strengths.

San Francisco has the right coaches for him to succeed.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,953

Post#53 » by chitownsports4ever » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:42 pm

rtblues wrote:96 passes attempted in his NFL career, total.
Calm down please...

You know this should have zero bearing on his value ?

If the Bears trade Jimmy it will be because Pace is familiar with Jimmy from when he was in the draft 3 seasons ago and felt he could develop into a starting a qb . He got a chance to get another look at him last summer during joint practices after 3 years of development with the best franchise in football and feels hes ready .
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
patryk7754
Head Coach
And1: 1,093

Post#54 » by patryk7754 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:02 pm

chitownsports4ever wrote:
rtblues wrote:96 passes attempted in his NFL career, total.
Calm down please...

You know this should have zero bearing on his value ?

If the Bears trade Jimmy it will be because Pace is familiar with Jimmy from when he was in the draft 3 seasons ago and felt he could develop into a starting a qb . He got a chance to get another look at him last summer during joint practices after 3 years of development with the best franchise in football and feels hes ready .

That "96" passes statement is very misleading. There's three years of preseason to go off of and his college career. Pace isn't going to decide on whether they should trade for him or not based off the Cardinals or dolphins game. He's going to look at his whole body of work.

Plus, using that logic we should never draft a QB because they have zero passes in the NFL.
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#55 » by patryk7754 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:08 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:The issue is there's no way he's traded for anything less than a 1st.

I agree. BB isn't going to sell him low when there's clearly a market for him. I'm just worried that we wouldn't provide him with the right system to maximize his strengths.

San Francisco has the right coaches for him to succeed.

Hopefully play calling is a lot better this upcoming season. I think that was the main issue. As the season progressed we relied on Howard a lot more which is a plus.

the Patriots run a lot of quick and short pass plays. I've said before that's the type of offense we should run even with cutler but obviously that hasn't been the cases. Maybe because of Cutlers rediculous arm talent but hopefully that changes if we get Jimmy. The problem might be that since we got big play guys like Jeffery and Theoretically white that might not change.

I think we need to add a WR like the patriots got. I'm think DeDe Westbrook but he has some domestic violence issues or the WR out of N Carolina
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,726

Post#56 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:08 pm

Trestman basically tried to run that short passing West Coast offense with Cutler, and it didn't go so well as McCown outplayed Cutler.
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#57 » by Axxo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:20 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
Chi town wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:
Don't spend high on a QB this year. Let Hoyer run the show. Target someone in the middle rounds that has a reasonable risk to reward. Fire Loggains after the season and upgrade your OC before you spend high on a QB.

Hoyer is Eddy Curry. All stats that don't matter. He can't score. Move the chains and field goals. You are not winning anything with Hoyer. I'd rather have Jay back then Hoyer.

I'm cool with Jimmy G but don't want to give up two 2nds unless we trade back and get another pick.

I'm wanting Solomon Thomas more and more. Think he is going to be a freak next to Floyd.

I agree with you. I hate Hoyer, but to me this draft is loaded with defensive studs. I would hate more to miss out on one while reaching for a QB.

So, I'm fine with Hoyer starting at that cost and going all in next year for our QB.

This makes alot of sense. We get to build the roster with all our draft picks (which we desperately need) and there will be other QB's that people will gush over in next years draft as well. Reaching for a rookie QB now isn't going to help us win games next season.
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#58 » by patryk7754 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:25 pm

I think that we can all agree that drafting a QB to be our starter is our of the question this offseason.

The bright side is that if we do miss out of Jimmy, we'll most likely be in position to draft high again and next years QB classes might turnout to be one of the best ever.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#59 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:44 pm

r1terrell23 wrote:
GetBuLLish wrote:
Mech Engineer wrote:
Cutler is the football version of Melo....drafted in Denver, two big market teams looking for a star traded for them, high profile wife, dumb decision makers, bad leaders, smug smiles, pretenders as elite players and you never win anything with them as leaders.

Never thought of this comparison. And even as someone who has defended Cutler for years, it's pretty spot on.

Not really. Melo isn't a winner but he is a perennial all star and is a good basketball player. Jay Cutler sucks.

Yeah, Melo may go into the hall of fame one day in his respective sport.

No way in hell Cutler makes it in his.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: OT: How much would you offer for Jimmy Garoppolo 

Post#60 » by Red Larrivee » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:45 pm

Axxo wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:
Chi town wrote:
Hoyer is Eddy Curry. All stats that don't matter. He can't score. Move the chains and field goals. You are not winning anything with Hoyer. I'd rather have Jay back then Hoyer.

I'm cool with Jimmy G but don't want to give up two 2nds unless we trade back and get another pick.

I'm wanting Solomon Thomas more and more. Think he is going to be a freak next to Floyd.

I agree with you. I hate Hoyer, but to me this draft is loaded with defensive studs. I would hate more to miss out on one while reaching for a QB.

So, I'm fine with Hoyer starting at that cost and going all in next year for our QB.

This makes alot of sense. We get to build the roster with all our draft picks (which we desperately need) and there will be other QB's that people will gush over in next years draft as well. Reaching for a rookie QB now isn't going to help us win games next season.

Especially since next year's QB class could be a game changer with Rosen and Jackson.

I understand the urgency to get one but we shouldn't reach like Jacksonville did with Bortles, LA did with Goff, and Houston with osweiler in free agency.

Pace's job will largely be defined on whatever QB he annoints, so he should make sure it's the right one and not a result of circumstance.

Return to Chicago Bears