ImageImageImage

Offseason thread

Moderator: HMFFL

TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Re: Offseason thread 

Post#101 » by TheKingofSting » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:10 am

Nemesis21 wrote:I wonder who we would be sending to the Reds.

Hopefully we get by with giving up a couple of mid-level pitchers. We are desperate but there is really no place for him on the Reds now so I hope Coppy was smart. Also hope Sean recovers fully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#102 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:11 am

TheKingofSting wrote:

Hopefully we get by with giving up a couple of mid-level pitchers. We are desperate but there is really no place for him on the Reds now so I hope Coppy was smart. Also hope Sean recovers fully.

Look at last post on page 5 of this thread.
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#103 » by TheKingofSting » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:14 am

Nemesis21 wrote:
TheKingofSting wrote:

I am saying I know we need a replacement for Sean but hope we didn't overpay for BP still.

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#104 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:16 am

TheKingofSting wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
TheKingofSting wrote:

I am saying I know we need a replacement for Sean but hope we didn't overpay for BP still.

And I'm saying the last post on page 5 of this thread, I posted a tweet from Ken Rosenthal, that says the Reds will get a minimal return for Phillips.
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#105 » by TheKingofSting » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:20 am

Nemesis21 wrote:
TheKingofSting wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

And I'm saying the last post on page 5 of this thread, I posted a tweet from Ken Rosenthal, that says the Reds will get a minimal return for Phillips.

Gotcha, it just now showed up for me on tapatalk. I don't know if it's tapatalk, my older iPhone or what that caused the delay. It was still showing up you asking wonder what we would give up as the last post on page 5. I'm glad we didn't have to give much though. Good move by Coppy.

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#106 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:40 am

The two sides are likely to complete the trade Sunday, per Rosenthal, who adds that the Reds will eat most of Phillips’ salary but won’t get much in return (Twitter link). The Braves enticed Phillips to accept the move by making some minor changes to his deal, tweets Zach Buchanan of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

- From MLB trade rumors
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#107 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:29 pm

Trade is complete, Reds receive P Andrew McKirahan and P Carlos Portuondo.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18670405/cincinnati-reds-agree-trade-brandon-phillips-atlanta-braves
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#108 » by ATL Boy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:39 pm

The Braves take my mind off the still fresh SB loss by making a good move.

Reds will also cover $12.5 mil of Brandon's $14 mil salary (based off reports I saw on Twitter). Phillips hit .291 last year, 11 HRs and still plays some solid defense, although the advance stats don't look that great.

He should slot in the 6-hole. No need to rush Albies back from his injury, no need to rush Sean back from his injury.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#109 » by Ruzious » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:47 pm

ATL Boy wrote:The Braves take my mind off the still fresh SB loss by making a good move.

Reds will also cover $12.5 mil of Brandon's $14 mil salary (based off reports I saw on Twitter). Phillips hit .291 last year, 11 HRs and still plays some solid defense, although the advance stats don't look that great.

He should slot in the 6-hole. No need to rush Albies back from his injury, no need to rush Sean back from his injury.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Now it makes at least some sense. I was gonna say Why pay Brandon 14 mil when his OPS+ of 94 last season was the exact same as Jace Peterson's. And why block Albies? But with the Braves paying only 1.5 mil, gotta figure Albies isn't going to get blocked. He'll play when they think he's ready.

Kinda ironic that the move by Cincy makes room for Jose Peraza - who had a 102 OPS+ in the bigs at age 22 last season.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#110 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:34 pm

I think this team can fight to hover around .500, win 80 games or so. Just need no major injuries. :D
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#111 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:45 pm

Phillips is second only to Robinson Cano, for most hits by a second baseman since 2006.

Cano -2,055
Phillips - 1,774
Kinsler - 1,696
Pedroia - 1,683
BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Post#112 » by BeesWax » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:29 pm

Solid low cost pickup.
Spoiler:
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#113 » by TheKingofSting » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:06 am

Nemesis21 wrote:Trade is complete, Reds receive P Andrew McKirahan and P Carlos Portuondo.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18670405/cincinnati-reds-agree-trade-brandon-phillips-atlanta-braves

Is that the reliever we got in the Rule 5 draft and then he got suspended for illegal substances?

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#114 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:11 am

TheKingofSting wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:Trade is complete, Reds receive P Andrew McKirahan and P Carlos Portuondo.

Is that the reliever we got in the Rule 5 draft and then he got suspended for illegal substances?

Yes
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#115 » by TheKingofSting » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:13 am

Nemesis21 wrote:
TheKingofSting wrote:

Yes

He had some nasty stuff but the Braves have plenty of young RP. I like the deal and can't say I'm surprised Atlanta didn't want to be associated with cheating or perceived cheating, depending on point of view.

Welcome home, BP!

ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#116 » by ATL Boy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:23 am

Correction to Brandon Phillips' salary: The Reds are actually going to pay off $13 mil of it, not $12.5 mil. So we're only on the hook for $1 mil. If we trade him, however (and he still has a no trade list of around 12 teams) we owe him $500K more.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#117 » by Ruzious » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:36 pm

I can't say I'm impressed with the Christian Walker acquisition. He's strictly a 4A type. Living in MD most of my life, I grew up a Braves and O's fan - so I've followed Walker. He's about to turn 26, so he's at the expiration point as a prospect. He lost out as far as 1Bman prospects battle to Mancini in the O's system. He played some LF last year to differentiate himself, but he's a 1Bman. He did well in AA and has some power, but he struck out too much and was so-so in AAA. He's not even a pinch hitting prospect, imo. Organizational depth.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#118 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:00 pm

John Heyman gives the Braves an A- for the offseason. http://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/inside-baseball-jon-heyman-final-offseason-grades/ He seems very high on "Luiz Gohara, the youngest pitcher in the Arizona Fall League, and promising Alex Jackson who will be converted back to catcher."
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#119 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 1, 2017 3:36 pm

Gotta figure Angel Pagan would be an excellent fit for Atlanta. He's maybe the biggest loser and last man standing in this year's crop of name free agents. The Braves need a 4th OFer who can play a little CF, and he's available for pennies on the dollar. Sign him.
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#120 » by TheKingofSting » Thu Mar 2, 2017 10:27 pm

Ruzious wrote:Gotta figure Angel Pagan would be an excellent fit for Atlanta. He's maybe the biggest loser and last man standing in this year's crop of name free agents. The Braves need a 4th OFer who can play a little CF, and he's available for pennies on the dollar. Sign him.

In an interview Coppy said he is fine with Chase backing up CF. I wouldn't be against adding Pagan personally.

Return to Atlanta Braves