Kyle Korver is Back

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

RatherUnique
Analyst
And1: 1,431

Kyle Korver is Back 

Post#1 » by RatherUnique » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:24 pm

60 win season w/ ATL - 32 mins, 12 ppg, 49% FG, 49% 3FG, 70% TS, 67% eFG

Now with w/ CLE - 25 mins, 11 ppg, 51% FG, 51% 3FG, 70% TS, 70% eFG.

JR gets back soon & has been around 40% from 3 on very high volume before a minor slump this year, Frye is deadeye, Love will be back by the playoffs.

How are these Eastern teams gonna get enough stops to beat Cleveland?

How entertaining are the finals going to be? :lol:
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,134

Re: Kyle Korver is Back 

Post#2 » by Froob » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:26 pm

This is why I think it's silly for Boston to talk about giving up Brooklyn picks and Brown for Jimmy Butler, Cleveland is going to be really really good and Boston's defense has been real bad. Won't be nearly enough, keep Brown and make those picks and build for a post LeBron contender.

If Love is healthy, I think the Cavs are going to win it. The 3 point shooting is off the chart. This will be a fun finals. LeBron wins this and he has a fair stake to the GOAT title.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,683

Post#3 » by Johnny Firpo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:30 pm

Froob wrote:This is why I think it's silly for Boston to talk about giving up Brooklyn picks and Brown for Jimmy Butler, Cleveland is going to be really really good and Boston's defense has been real bad. Won't be nearly enough, keep Brown and make those picks and build for a post LeBron contender.

If Love is healthy, I think the Cavs are going to win it. The 3 point shooting is off the chart. This will be a fun finals. LeBron wins this and he has a fair stake to the GOAT title.

You guys are in a great position, but probably not in the greatest of times. There is no available difference maker that would put you over the top. You could draft two young studs back to back, but you have a handful of role players who are in their peak, and cannot wait 4-5 years until the two studs turn into great players.

So it almost feels like you have to trade the two Brooklyn pick, but they are too valuable to give up for one player! I would probably try to get both Butler and Cousins for a combination of the two picks, Brown, and Smarts. Is it not enough? I think it should be.

I mean, both Butler and Cousins are great, but the are not Lebron James, or even a Kevin Garnett to warrant multiple top 3 picks. If that's the price, I would rather just trade my role players and go into full-rebuild, trade Thomas, Crowder, Horford, everybody.
Sisqo
Analyst
And1: 2,267

Post#4 » by Sisqo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:31 pm

Froob wrote:This is why I think it's silly for Boston to talk about giving up Brooklyn picks and Brown for Jimmy Butler, Cleveland is going to be really really good and Boston's defense has been real bad. Won't be nearly enough, keep Brown and make those picks and build for a post LeBron contender.

So rather than try and compete which is the point of sports you would rather wait till the better team's best player leaves and than try? Where is the fun and competitive spirit in that?

I completely understand being careful with trading picks to plan for the future but if you have a chance to get butler why wouldn't you do it?? He's likely better than anything you get in the draft and its not like he's old. You are currently the second seed in the east, you're supposed to challenge for the title not just be like Meh lets just let that other really good player win since he probably will anyways.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM

Post#5 » by Johnny Firpo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:31 pm

But back to Korver, the guy is legitimately an all-time great spot up shooter. It's a pleasure to watch him play next to someone like Lebron. If Irving buys in as well, they could make the guy average 14-15 just on spot up shots, over 60%TS. He is that good when he has that kind of space. And if they run him off or double him, Lebron, Irving or Love uses the space he created. Such a good trade.
XPeak
Sophomore
And1: 160

Post#6 » by XPeak » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:32 pm

Kyle Korver is back or The LeBron James effect?
Johnny Firpo
RealGM

Post#7 » by Johnny Firpo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:33 pm

XPeak wrote:Kyle Korver is back or The LeBron James effect?

Probably both. He is obviously more motivated to play on a top 2 team.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#8 » by Froob » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:

You guys are in a great position, but probably not in the greatest of times. There is no available difference maker that would put you over the top. You could draft two young studs back to back, but you have a handful of role players who are in their peak, and cannot wait 4-5 years until the two studs turn into great players.

So it almost feels like you have to trade the two Brooklyn pick, but they are too valuable to give up for one player! I would probably try to get both Butler and Cousins for a combination of the two picks, Brown, and Smarts. Is it not enough? I think it should be.

I mean, both Butler and Cousins are great, but the are not Lebron James, or even a Kevin Garnett to warrant multiple top 3 picks. If that's the price, I would rather just trade my role players and go into full-rebuild, trade Thomas, Crowder, Horford, everybody.

Whole league is in a really difficult spot, KD to Dubs really screwed things up. I don't mind waiting it out, sucks for guys like Horford and IT that would like to win now but if you blow your load of Brooklyn picks and give up Jaylen, I think you look really dumb down the road. If we were playing defense like last year it'd be far more believable we could beat Golden State. I think Cavs take us in 5 and Warriors probably sweep..

You can't really go full rebuild mode, there's talk that Celtics brass is concerned that Stevens could eventually bail for the NCAA if things were to totally fall apart. We're in a spot where we will win a lot of games maybe get the 1st seed and make some noise in the playoffs but not a real contender. Which is okay and it's fun but we will also have a shot at being a true contender in about 5 years. Key to the next title is patient. I'd rather be in our spot though than like 90% of the league. Like I said KD to Dubs reeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly raised the bar on what it takes to have a true contender. It sucks.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#9 » by blazeyo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:35 pm

Kyle Kover is a joy to watch even if he doesn't make his shots. He is my favourite player and I have no idea why.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#10 » by Froob » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:36 pm

Sisqo wrote:

So rather than try and compete which is the point of sports you would rather wait till the better team's best player leaves and than try? Where is the fun and competitive spirit in that?

I completely understand being careful with trading picks to plan for the future but if you have a chance to get butler why wouldn't you do it?? He's likely better than anything you get in the draft and its not like he's old. You are currently the second seed in the east, you're supposed to challenge for the title not just be like Meh lets just let that other really good player win since he probably will anyways.

Because Brown is a stud in the making (Presti likes him a lot and Presti might be the best in the draft business) and those two picks are going to be great. It's not as much as the Cavs though as it is the Warriors. If Warriors hadn't gotten KD I'd be down to give it a go. Hope I didn't derail this thread too much btw my bad :lol: .

RIP The_Hater
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#11 » by Froob » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:37 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:
XPeak wrote:Kyle Korver is back or The LeBron James effect?

Probably both. He is obviously more motivated to play on a top 2 team.

Really happy for him, for a guy who was traded for money that became a fax machine, this is great to see him become a real player and now on a true contender at long last.

RIP The_Hater
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,314

Post#12 » by The High Cyde » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:51 pm

Korver went unconscious yesterday against the Pacers, he hit a stand alone three like 6 ft beyond the line, and he has the confidence to take those. That's huge. In the playoffs he won't have looks that open but it just reinforces the notion that you can not leave the guy open at all. Dude was playing solid defense too, even blocked a shot. Cavs might break the record for threes made this year again in the playoffs. You have Kyrie, Shump, Frye, JR, Korver, even LeBron hitting them at a good clip now.
laploutocratie
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,273

Post#13 » by laploutocratie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:55 pm

That is awesome. Seems like his confidence and comfortableness with the Cavs are there too; he's been launching without hesitation from long (long!) distances and has been making them.
x XVII

6ixth_Man wrote:When I die, I want the Raptors to lower me into my grave, so they can let me down one last time
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,293

Post#14 » by xBulletproof » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:59 pm

I'll tell you what, I grew up watching Reggie Miller. Also, I can shoot myself. I'm in my 30's and don't play for weeks at a time anymore, but when I have my gym has the NBA 3 point lines because some of the Pacers work out there. Occasionally I'll take 100 NBA 3's just to see how many I hit. I'm usually between 70-75. I can shoot. So I'm rarely in awe of watching a shooter. It's usually a "bah, I can shoot like that", reaction.

I get to games early, and sit in the bottom bowl. Very early. I watch guys workout and shoot around from up close. I've only been in awe with 2 people. Steph Curry and Kyle Korver, and in that setting, more so Korver. It was 30-45 minutes before the game and dude was WORKING. He was sweating all over, running around picks set by coaches and just never missed. He was probably only hitting the rim occasionally. If he works that hard right before games, I can't imagine how hard he works the rest of the time. He's been one of my favorite players since that day. He always seems to crap all over the Pacers too. :lol:
Nightperzon
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,514

Post#15 » by Nightperzon » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:00 pm

8 games in February so far and he's making 64% of his 3's on 6 attempts a game. :oops:
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#16 » by yoyoboy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:04 pm

His defense has been surprisingly solid, as well.
BasketballFan7
Analyst
And1: 2,344

Post#17 » by BasketballFan7 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:51 pm

xBulletproof wrote:I'll tell you what, I grew up watching Reggie Miller. Also, I can shoot myself. I'm in my 30's and don't play for weeks at a time anymore, but when I have my gym has the NBA 3 point lines because some of the Pacers work out there. Occasionally I'll take 100 NBA 3's just to see how many I hit. I'm usually between 70-75. I can shoot. So I'm rarely in awe of watching a shooter. It's usually a "bah, I can shoot like that", reaction.

I get to games early, and sit in the bottom bowl. Very early. I watch guys workout and shoot around from up close. I've only been in awe with 2 people. Steph Curry and Kyle Korver, and in that setting, more so Korver. It was 30-45 minutes before the game and dude was WORKING. He was sweating all over, running around picks set by coaches and just never missed. He was probably only hitting the rim occasionally. If he works that hard right before games, I can't imagine how hard he works the rest of the time. He's been one of my favorite players since that day. He always seems to crap all over the Pacers too. :lol:

I don't get to go to games often. The first Hawks game I went to, I was sitting in the first row behind the players' bench. Watching Korver warm up (he was very close to me) was surreal. It, more so than the game or anything else, made me realize how ridiculously good NBA players are.
FGA Restricted All-Time Draft

In My Hood, The Bullies Get Bullied
PG: 2013 Mike Conley, 1998 Greg Anthony
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili, 2015 Khris Middleton
SF: 1991 Scottie Pippen
PF: 1986 Larry Bird, 1996 Dennis Rodman
C: 1999 Alonzo Mourning
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,167

Post#18 » by mademan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Impressive or embarrassing, he's also been one of the better perimeter defenders for the Cavs
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#19 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:02 pm

blazeyo wrote:Kyle Kover is a joy to watch even if he doesn't make his shots. He is my favourite player and I have no idea why.

:lol:
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,618

Post#20 » by bmurph128 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:21 pm

If LeBron continues his 3 point shooting and we stay healthy...

The only stoppable thing about LBJ was his jumper..

I don't see how we lose.

Return to The General Board