Big Baby Davis goes off on ‘overrated’ Doc Rivers

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Big Baby Davis goes off on ‘overrated’ Doc Rivers 

Post#1 » by Pinkyring » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:03 pm

Davis: Because what Doc had in ’08 was special and he was lucky as hell … Lucky as hell. The year before that they was wearing trash bags … But then the next year they win it, now he is one of the best coaches ever? I’m just not feeling that. You know what I mean? You give credit to KG. You give credit to Paul Pierce. You give credit to Ray Allen. Those are the guys who made sure whatever Doc needed to be done, got done.

And see now it’s easy for Doc to do his job. And then you give credit to Danny Ainge. That’s the one you give credit to. Because I know multiple times [Ainge] had to talk to Doc, just to say “Hey Doc, leave em alone. Hey Doc, ease up.”

I’m off that Doc tip. He’s a great guy but as far as that basketball stuff but I try to …

Broussard: Is he overrated as a coach?

Davis: I think so.

Broussard: Really?

Davis: Yea.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/glen-big-baby-davis-goes-off-on-overrated-doc-rivers-021617
Pinkyring
RealGM

Re: Is DOC RIVER OVERRATED? BIG BABY THINKS SO 

Post#2 » by Pinkyring » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:10 pm

GLEN ON GLENN crime, I've always felt doc was extremely overrated, and a big step behind the elites, same way spo was grossly overrated, championships aint everything when u have great players that are leaders and buy in
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#3 » by Devassa » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:19 pm

Can't say he's lying... he was big time on the hot seat before being gifted 2 HOFers in 1 summer and then jumps ship to the same situation in LA
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#4 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:21 pm

Of course he's overrated. His inability to make even the simplest adjustments gets exposed every year in the playoffs. He refuses to develop young players. The quality of his "coaching" is entirely dependent on how loaded his roster is with talent. Meanwhile, you see guys like Rick Carlisle squeezing every ounce of production out of garbage rosters while getting paid less than Doc. On top of that, the media protects Doc and goes along with the excuses he makes for his failure.
sanitylaker
Senior
And1: 314

Re: Big Baby Davis goes off on ‘overrated’ Doc Rivers 

Post#5 » by sanitylaker » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:26 pm

Well he beat Popovich and the Spurs in the playoffs when they were the defending champions. I think he is fine as coach.

Davis is already out of the league :roll:
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#6 » by Pinkyring » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:20 pm

sanitylaker wrote:Well he beat Popovich and the Spurs in the playoffs when they were the defending champions. I think he is fine as coach.

So by that logic, carlisle is a better coach and phil Jackson?
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,618

Post#7 » by bmurph128 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:23 pm

Worst nickname in all of sports history. Just atrocious.
sanitylaker
Senior

Post#8 » by sanitylaker » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:30 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
sanitylaker wrote:Well he beat Popovich and the Spurs in the playoffs when they were the defending champions. I think he is fine as coach.

That's not the logic here son. I didn't say he is better than Popovich, I said he is a fine coach.

Baby said Doc was overrated. I simply disagree. Doc has his flaws, but he is a good coach.

He is 10-9 against Popovich since he joined the Clippers. How many coaches in the NBA can say that they have a winning record against the Spurs since 14 ? I bet this number is very low and i wouldn't even be surprised if Doc is alone here.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#9 » by cpower » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:33 pm

Big Baby Davis is smarter than most of the NBA legends
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Post#10 » by -Sammy- » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:35 pm

I wanted to believe in Doc for years after he beat Jackson in the Finals, but with everything that's happened in LA in recent years, I've come to agree with his naysayers. It's a shame, too, because I think he's probably a good motivator and 'people guy' and all that, but as a basketball coach, he should certainly have more than one title to his name for all the talent he's had (and that Clippers team should have seen at least one conference final by now). Overrated.
FlashFlare
RealGM
And1: 30,615

Post#11 » by FlashFlare » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:36 pm

sanitylaker wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:

That's not the logic here son. I didn't say he is better than Popovich, I said he is a fine coach.

Baby said Doc was overrated. I simply disagree. Doc has his flaws, but he is a good coach.

He is 10-9 against Popovich since he joined the Clippers. How many coaches in the NBA can say that they have a winning record against the Spurs since 14 ? I bet this number is very low and i wouldn't even be surprised if Doc is alone here.

being overrated and being a good coach aren't mutually exclusive
100% WADEaboo
clippertown
Veteran
And1: 934

Post#12 » by clippertown » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:40 pm

When Big Baby begged Doc for a job this last year, I doubt he was calling him overrated. Now he is out of the league, I smell major sour grapes.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#13 » by cpower » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:40 pm

If you are just talking about 2015, CP3, Blake and Jordan are better than Old duncan, young Kawhi. Spurs might have a better system but Kawhi struggled that year. The clippers were better team and had the better seed so I dont think it means anything.
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#14 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:41 pm

Doc is a great coach. He's having another great year this year
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst

Post#15 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:41 pm

Big baby is just butt hurt that doc chose not to sign him
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#16 » by Pinkyring » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:42 pm

sanitylaker wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:

Im not your son guy, my dads name is stephen clark not sanity laker
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst

Post#17 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:43 pm

cpower wrote:

If you are just talking about 2015, CP3, Blake and Jordan are better than Old duncan, young Kawhi. Spurs might have a better system but Kawhi struggled that year. The clippers were better team and had the better seed so I dont think it means anything.

That's funny. Beating the defending champs ment nothing
otwok
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,327

Post#18 » by otwok » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:43 pm

If you have star players, good role players that play within themselves, good assistant coaches that can really do the x's and o's then Doc Rivers is a good coach. If you don't have the above then there probably are better coaches to go with.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,648

Post#19 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:43 pm

All coaches are overrated if people think they are the difference makers, where they aren't making personnel decisions.
sanitylaker
Senior

Post#20 » by sanitylaker » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:44 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
sanitylaker wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:So by that logic, carlisle is a better coach and phil Jackson?

Im not your son guy, my dads name is stephen clark not sanity laker

My name is Stephen too :lol:

But yeah you got my point

Return to The General Board