Kyle Korver is Back

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

JohnnyNightrain
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,049

Re: Kyle Korver is Back 

Post#21 » by JohnnyNightrain » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:33 pm

Korver always owns Indiana, too. I want to see a "30 for 30: Kyle Korver vs. The Pacers."

Birdie
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,516

Post#22 » by Birdie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:43 pm

Froob wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:
Froob wrote:This is why I think it's silly for Boston to talk about giving up Brooklyn picks and Brown for Jimmy Butler, Cleveland is going to be really really good and Boston's defense has been real bad. Won't be nearly enough, keep Brown and make those picks and build for a post LeBron contender.

If Love is healthy, I think the Cavs are going to win it. The 3 point shooting is off the chart. This will be a fun finals. LeBron wins this and he has a fair stake to the GOAT title.

You guys are in a great position, but probably not in the greatest of times. There is no available difference maker that would put you over the top. You could draft two young studs back to back, but you have a handful of role players who are in their peak, and cannot wait 4-5 years until the two studs turn into great players.

So it almost feels like you have to trade the two Brooklyn pick, but they are too valuable to give up for one player! I would probably try to get both Butler and Cousins for a combination of the two picks, Brown, and Smarts. Is it not enough? I think it should be.

I mean, both Butler and Cousins are great, but the are not Lebron James, or even a Kevin Garnett to warrant multiple top 3 picks. If that's the price, I would rather just trade my role players and go into full-rebuild, trade Thomas, Crowder, Horford, everybody.

Whole league is in a really difficult spot, KD to Dubs really screwed things up. I don't mind waiting it out, sucks for guys like Horford and IT that would like to win now but if you blow your load of Brooklyn picks and give up Jaylen, I think you look really dumb down the road. If we were playing defense like last year it'd be far more believable we could beat Golden State. I think Cavs take us in 5 and Warriors probably sweep..

You can't really go full rebuild mode, there's talk that Celtics brass is concerned that Stevens could eventually bail for the NCAA if things were to totally fall apart. We're in a spot where we will win a lot of games maybe get the 1st seed and make some noise in the playoffs but not a real contender. Which is okay and it's fun but we will also have a shot at being a true contender in about 5 years. Key to the next title is patient. I'd rather be in our spot though than like 90% of the league. Like I said KD to Dubs reeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly raised the bar on what it takes to have a true contender. It sucks.

Well said Froob. A little part of me wants to fully agree with you cuz BOS, as a team/franchise, right now, reminds me of the Pacers run from 2012-2014 where they gradually improved and eventually was the #1 seed in 2014 but MIA bounced them all 3 years while IND gave them a fight each and every year.

BOS just some stark parallels to what IND experienced except in BOS case, they got mad assets to play with both on the roster and future stuff as opposed to IND who completely combusted after Lance smashed Roy's girl or PG13 got at Lance's jumpoff or whatever happened to make that team full of talent fall off a cliff, make D West turn down 10mil to leave, Roy Hibbert getting the big man yips, etc...Crazy how that team just imploded after '14.

If BOS can somehow balance prepping for a post-LBJ future in 2-3 years time while also surrounding their rooks with the kind of complimentary/great contracts like they've had in IT4/Crowder/Bradley with old head Horford mentoring the babies, BOS could be in a nice position to assume the East throne cuz I think once we start getting 1-2 year rounds of these supermax contracts doled out, some teams are just gonna be salary cap hamstrung to dramatically improve when they got 1-2 guys taking up 50% of their cap while BOS gonna be sitting there with 4-5 under 25's on rookie deals.

Personally, if I were BOS and I could get Jimmy Buckets/PG13 while only having to give up only 1 or other BK picks, I'd do it cuz I think those 2 could put BOS over the top of CLE especially with how wounded we are right now.

A IT4/Bradley/Jimmy or PG13/Crowder/Horford lineup would be real nice against us just from a competitive standpoint, imo. Do it Ainge! :lol:
Come at the king, you best not miss...
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,788

Post#23 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:45 pm

Froob wrote:This is why I think it's silly for Boston to talk about giving up Brooklyn picks and Brown for Jimmy Butler, Cleveland is going to be really really good and Boston's defense has been real bad. Won't be nearly enough, keep Brown and make those picks and build for a post LeBron contender.

If Love is healthy, I think the Cavs are going to win it. The 3 point shooting is off the chart. This will be a fun finals. LeBron wins this and he has a fair stake to the GOAT title.

Getting jimmy butler would never be silly. He would be legitimately the best player on a team that's looking to move forward and compete.

But the more the Celtics dither... I'm good with that.
Wraps_fan
Analyst
And1: 5,735

Post#24 » by Wraps_fan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:49 pm

I'd put a healthy Cleveland team over the Warriors right now.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#25 » by TheOUTLAW » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:

You guys are in a great position, but probably not in the greatest of times. There is no available difference maker that would put you over the top. You could draft two young studs back to back, but you have a handful of role players who are in their peak, and cannot wait 4-5 years until the two studs turn into great players.

So it almost feels like you have to trade the two Brooklyn pick, but they are too valuable to give up for one player! I would probably try to get both Butler and Cousins for a combination of the two picks, Brown, and Smarts. Is it not enough? I think it should be.

I mean, both Butler and Cousins are great, but the are not Lebron James, or even a Kevin Garnett to warrant multiple top 3 picks. If that's the price, I would rather just trade my role players and go into full-rebuild, trade Thomas, Crowder, Horford, everybody.

But OMG look at that pick too. It's unbelievable that a team as talented as Boston will end up with a great pick as well. I knew it at the time but boy was Brooklyn stupid.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Re: RE: Re: Kyle Korver is Back 

Post#26 » by King Ken » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:59 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:
XPeak wrote:Kyle Korver is back or The LeBron James effect?

Probably both. He is obviously more motivated to play on a top 2 team.

Stop it. He was very motivated in Atlanta but we don't have someone who can make it easier for everyone else and we couldn't protect him on defense anymore once Al Horford left.

Don't **** on the Hawks. Believe me, he gave his all. We aren't a charity case, we just don't have the right pieces collectively.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#27 » by King Ken » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:01 pm

yoyoboy wrote:His defense has been surprisingly solid, as well.

He's always been a good team defender. We told you guys that as well. The issue with Kyle is he's a terrible man defender but with LeBron and Kyrie, defense use so much energy, that guys like Kyle don't have to do as much.

EastBayBoy
Senior
And1: 618

Post#28 » by EastBayBoy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:01 pm

bmurph128 wrote:If LeBron continues his 3 point shooting and we stay healthy...

The only stoppable thing about LBJ was his jumper..

I don't see how we lose.

I don't know, maybe the Cavs defense which is in the bottom half of the league trying to stop one of the best offences of all time?
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by TheOUTLAW » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:07 pm

I don't see how we lose.

Stay healthy? We're missing 40% of our starting team. I think you mean get healthy
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,690

Post#30 » by Johnny Firpo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:10 pm

King Ken wrote:Stop it. He was very motivated in Atlanta but we don't have someone who can make it easier for everyone else and we couldn't protect him on defense anymore once Al Horford left.

Don't **** on the Hawks. Believe me, he gave his all. We aren't a charity case, we just don't have the right pieces collectively.

I don't think I did that, but fair enough, it could have been interpreted that way, sorry for it, my intention wasn't to crap on the Hawks, you guys have a much better team than my Mavs, had for years.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by TheOUTLAW » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:10 pm

What's a trip is that the 50/50 that he's shot with Cleveland is actually an understates how well he's actually been shooting the ball. The last 5 games he's shot .707 from the floor and .742 from 3. That's ridiculous.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by TheOUTLAW » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:10 pm

What's a trip is that the 50/50 that he's shot with Cleveland is actually an understates how well he's actually been shooting the ball. The last 5 games he's shot .707 from the floor and .742 from 3. That's ridiculous.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,690

Post#33 » by Johnny Firpo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:12 pm

Wraps_fan wrote:I'd put a healthy Cleveland team over the Warriors right now.

I wouldn't. I don't think the net rating will fail us two years in a row. The Warriors have just as much scoring, shooting, playmaking, and a much better defensive team this year, and their net rating destroys Cleveland's. I mean, I'm not writing Lebron off, but if that final matchup happens, they will be the underdogs for sure.
blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Post#34 » by blazeyo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:14 pm

Cleveland with Bogut's illegal screens and Korver spotting up for 3's would be unfair imo.
I hope they get him.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#35 » by bmurph128 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:22 pm

EastBayBoy wrote:

I don't see how we lose.

I don't know, maybe the Cavs defense which is in the bottom half of the league trying to stop one of the best offences of all time?

Defense will get better in the playoffs. Half court defense is pretty good...transition defense is horrific, which is basically just effort. You think guys would be dogging it in the finals?
bmurph128
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by bmurph128 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:23 pm

TheOUTLAW wrote:

I don't see how we lose.

Stay healthy? We're missing 40% of our starting team. I think you mean get healthy

Yes I was thinking in terms of the playoffs if and when we get everyone back, then staying healthy from there.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#37 » by Kabookalu » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:26 pm

King Ken wrote:
yoyoboy wrote:His defense has been surprisingly solid, as well.

He's always been a good team defender. We told you guys that as well. The issue with Kyle is he's a terrible man defender but with LeBron and Kyrie, defense use so much energy, that guys like Kyle don't have to do as much.

His defense was solid even before Atlanta.
Read on Twitter
bmurph128
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by bmurph128 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:26 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:
Wraps_fan wrote:I'd put a healthy Cleveland team over the Warriors right now.

I wouldn't. I don't think the net rating will fail us two years in a row. The Warriors have just as much scoring, shooting, playmaking, and a much better defensive team this year, and their net rating destroys Cleveland's. I mean, I'm not writing Lebron off, but if that final matchup happens, they will be the underdogs for sure.

The Cavs not playing defense, resting guys, JR and Love hurt for so long...trading for Korver trying to incorporate him.

All reasons why we've struggled, which will reflect poorly on net rating.

But most if not all of these will be rectified in the playoffs.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,155

Post#39 » by Edrees » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:27 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
EastBayBoy wrote:

I don't see how we lose.

Defense will get better in the playoffs. Half court defense is pretty good...transition defense is horrific, which is basically just effort. You think guys would be dogging it in the finals?

You can't just turn on defense like that. Offense yet, but defense is a season long habit that's built.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by bmurph128 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:29 pm

Edrees wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:
EastBayBoy wrote:

You can't just turn on defense like that. Offense yet, but defense is a season long habit that's built.

I would agree except for the Cavs it's transition defense, which is just effort. Half court defense is good.

Return to The General Board