Big Baby Davis goes off on ‘overrated’ Doc Rivers

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

bigpimpatl
Veteran
And1: 1,256

Re: Is DOC RIVER OVERRATED? BIG BABY THINKS SO 

Post#41 » by bigpimpatl » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:18 pm

Optms wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Of course he's overrated. His inability to make even the simplest adjustments gets exposed every year in the playoffs. He refuses to develop young players.

Unless that young player is Austin Rivers*

Austin Rivers has actually been pretty good this season, but I guess the father-son relationship will always cloud everyone's judgment.
davidfr94
Senior
And1: 500

Re: Big Baby Davis goes off on ‘overrated’ Doc Rivers 

Post#42 » by davidfr94 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:25 pm

Overrated by who ?

He is being criticized a lot. His teams always play well both offensively and defensively.
He had a lot of injuries to key players during the playoffs (Perkins, Garnett, Paul, Griffin). Without them he could have maybe won another championship.

The 3-1 debacle was more about the players choking than bad coaching.

He did not develop young players ? Who was he supposed to develop ? Reggie bullock ?
He certainly helped griffin and Jordan become good players.

The only thing that I can criticize him for is playing jamaal Crawford that much (why ??????).

In a way he seems a little underrated to me.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#43 » by LordBaldric » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:46 pm

bmurph128 wrote:Worst nickname in all of sports history. Just atrocious.

Let me introduce you to the former boxer Nate "The Galaxy Warrior" Campbell, which isn't even proper English (that would be Galactic Warrior).
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,062

Post#44 » by MrBigShot » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:05 am

Johnny Bball wrote:All coaches are overrated if people think they are the difference makers, where they aren't making personnel decisions.

Not true. Doc is president of basketball ops in LA on top of being coach, ditto is true for SVG in Detroit. Pop isn't a GM, but he too clearly has some say in personnel decisions.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Manute Lol
Sixth Man
And1: 2,252

Post#45 » by Manute Lol » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:08 am

Pinkyring wrote:
sanitylaker wrote:Well he beat Popovich and the Spurs in the playoffs when they were the defending champions. I think he is fine as coach.

Davis is already out of the league :roll:

So by that logic, carlisle is a better coach and phil Jackson?

In terms of Xs and Os, he might be.
antistrat wrote:What Golden State isn't realizing is that their offense has been neutralized. It isn't coming back. Cleveland is too long, too athletic, too fast, too gritty and too smart as a team.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,954

Post#46 » by Optms » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:14 am

bigpimpatl wrote:
Optms wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Of course he's overrated. His inability to make even the simplest adjustments gets exposed every year in the playoffs. He refuses to develop young players.

Austin Rivers has actually been pretty good this season, but I guess the father-son relationship will always cloud everyone's judgment.

He was given the chance to play through his mistakes to eventually develop into what he is today though. Doesn't matter what he's doing, its the leash that was given to him after being acquired by the Clippers that absurd.

If the Clippers hadn't traded for him, I'm almost certain he would have been given a shot elsewhere. Only instead been given a total of 15 minutes and be playing in China right now. A lot of players overseas and in the league right now would kill for the same opportunity. To play and produce like a D-leaguer time and time before eventually developing into a fill-in starter.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Post#47 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:22 am

Optms wrote:
bigpimpatl wrote:
Optms wrote:

He was given the chance to play through his mistakes to eventually develop into what he is today though. Doesn't matter what he's doing, its the leash that was given to him after being acquired by the Clippers that absurd.

If the Clippers hadn't traded for him, I'm almost certain he would have been given a shot elsewhere. Only instead been given a total of 15 minutes and be playing in China right now. A lot of players overseas and in the league right now would kill for the same opportunity. To play and produce like a D-leaguer time and time before eventually developing into a fill-in starter.

Went over this in the Austin Rivers thread. But Austin actually saw a decrease in minutes when he went from NOLA to the Clippers. This year is actually the first year Austin is getting more minutes compared to his final year in NOLA.

So this narrative that Doc gave him this long leash he wasn't getting before just is incorrect.

Final year in NOLA 22.1 mpg. 1st year in LA 19.3 mpg. 2nd year in LA 21.9 mpg. This year 28.3 mpg. I don't think too many people would argue the minutes he's getting this year either. CP3 has been out and he's actually been playing good basketball.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#48 » by jonjames » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:24 am

Doc Rivers is a decent coach but he is a horrible GM. I don't know what his love obsession is with Jamal Crawford but he is one of the biggest reasons why LAC will never win anything. IMO Crawford is one of the worst players in the NBA. Horrible efficiency on offense and horrible defender. Very weak rebounder as well.
Veyron
Senior
And1: 509

Post#49 » by Veyron » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:26 am

sanitylaker wrote:Well he beat Popovich and the Spurs in the playoffs when they were the defending champions. I think he is fine as coach.

Most stupid argument and logic ever.
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,468

Post#50 » by picc » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:39 am

He's absolutely right. Doc is a mediocre at best coach and a sniveling, delusional and whiny human being who would be assistant coaching the Nets if Gatnett and Allen werent traded to Boston.

The only redeeming quality about him at all is that these character traits also make him the GOAT gif maker. :usa:
sanitylaker
Senior
And1: 314

Post#51 » by sanitylaker » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:04 am

Veyron wrote:

Most stupid argument and logic ever.

Says the Croatian who thinks Hezonja is going to be a superstar :lol:
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#52 » by johanliebert » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:24 am

Optms wrote:
bigpimpatl wrote:
Optms wrote:

austin actually had more freedom in NO and PT. I dont think hes been giving anything in la his great effort and intensity on defense earned him PT and hes finally developed a reliable outside shot.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#53 » by johanliebert » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:25 am

didnt big baby having some things to say about cp3 as well? i think hes salty he wasnt resigned.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,782

Post#54 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:27 am

jonjames wrote:Doc Rivers is a decent coach but he is a horrible GM.

+1

Same as Pitino.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Re: RE: Re: Big Baby Davis goes off on ‘overrated’ Doc Rivers 

Post#55 » by Clay Davis » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:32 am

MrBigShot wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:All coaches are overrated if people think they are the difference makers, where they aren't making personnel decisions.

Not true. Doc is president of basketball ops in LA on top of being coach, ditto is true for SVG in Detroit. Pop isn't a GM, but he too clearly has some say in personnel decisions.

When Pop was G.M/VP, he fired the coach and made himself coach while naming RC Buford -- his head scout -- as GM
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#56 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:12 am

2011Champs wrote:I'm not sure anyone really rates Doc that high so I'm not sure that he is "overrated ". I wouldn't want him as my team's coach, I know that much.

I think he won Coach of the Year with two different teams, which is pretty unusual. So he's certainly eligible to be evaluated for overratedness.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#57 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:15 am

snoopdogg88 wrote:Doc gave him a job with Boston and LA

Punk should shut up

Ainge drafted him, but Doc used him very well, including as a surprisingly effective hopless-wonder of a post defender.

Or maybe not -- wasn't Davis a good post scorer in college? That never translated to the pros.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,953

Post#58 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:22 am

clippertown wrote:When Big Baby begged Doc for a job this last year, I doubt he was calling him overrated. Now he is out of the league, I smell major sour grapes.

Grapes are sour but it don't mean Mr. Baby is wrong
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,073

Post#59 » by og15 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:17 am

Don't think Doc is overrated by the general masses anymore. Maybe a couple of seasons ago, but most don't really look at him as "one of the best coaches in the league" like people used to do.

Overrated also doesn't mean "bad" it just means rated higher by most than what your true rating is, and that was true at some point in time, but right now probably not so much. I think right now some people are swinging too much in the opposite direction and acting like he's a terrible coach which just isn't true. The pendulum is always active.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,470

Post#60 » by Chinook » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:31 am

Doc deserves credit for outcoaching Pop. The 2015 series came down to Splitter being hurt, in my opinion. Dude was the best big-man defender the Spurs have had for years. He may have been better than Kawhi on that end, which is saying something. However, Tiago just couldn't keep his body together, so Blake went off. Even hobbled Splitter was the best Griffin-stopper on the team in that series.

What I would give to have Prime Golden God back on the roster.

Return to The General Board