Deadline Chatter: Derrick Rose on his way out ? Teams interested

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,098

Deadline Chatter: Derrick Rose on his way out ? Teams interested 

Post#1 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:48 am

Looks like if Melo does not go, the Knicks might start a fire sale of sorts. How many teams can actually use
...one of the best lane penetrators in the NBA.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/66202/should-knicks-blow-it-up-or-pursue-playoffs-phil-jackson-needs-to-decide

Racking my brain to come up with what teams would actually pull a deal for D Rose? Detroit, Orlando... anybody else?
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Re: Deadline Chatter: Derrick Rose on his way out ? Teams interested 

Post#2 » by MotownMadness » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:49 am

What would we want him for?
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach

Post#3 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:50 am

MotownMadness wrote:What would we want him for?

He does things with the ball that your current general cannot do. And while he does not play make as much as we'd like, it is more than that broke Reggie Jackson.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#4 » by MotownMadness » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:55 am

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:

He does things with the ball that your current general cannot do. And while he does not play make as much as we'd like, it is more than that broke Reggie Jackson.

Pass, Reggie is still hurt but last year he was great at getting to the rim and finishing. Plus DRose is a player I just want to smack looking at him and wouldn't want on my team.
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:01 am

MotownMadness wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:

Pass, Reggie is still hurt but last year he was great at getting to the rim and finishing. Plus DRose is a player I just want to smack looking at him and wouldn't want on my team.

First of all guy, he's expiring at the end of the season. If you knew the first thing about anything, you would gladly be offering a Reggie/Rose swap. However, IPIT (IN PHIL I TRUST) he will not sabotage our future over someone broken.... so anyway, we'll take a future first rounder and ish smith for Derrick Rose thank you.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#6 » by MotownMadness » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:03 am

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:

First of all guy, he's expiring at the end of the season. If you knew the first thing about anything, you would gladly be offering a Reggie/Rose swap. However, IPIT (IN PHIL I TRUST) he will not sabotage our future over someone broken.... so anyway, we'll take a future first rounder and ish smith for Derrick Rose thank you.

Lol, pass but yeah I couldn't possibly see Phil Jackson sabotaging your future
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,134

Post#7 » by Hellcrooner » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:07 am

Would be good for knicks and wolves if they swapped Rose and Oquinn for Rubio and Shabazz.
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:08 am

Hellcrooner wrote:Would be good for knicks and wolves if they swapped Rose and Oquinn for Rubio and Shabazz.

OMG this is genius....
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,994

Post#9 » by Capn'O » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:15 am

It's unbelievable how fast he can switch directions. Here are some vintage highlights from last night's game.

Multiple suitors out there according to reports so get your offers in quick!
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
blitz41
Rookie
And1: 759

Post#10 » by blitz41 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:29 am

Capn'O wrote:It's unbelievable how fast he can switch directions. Here are some vintage highlights from last night's game.

Beware of knicks bearing gifts...
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,994

Post#11 » by Capn'O » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:43 am

blitz41 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:It's unbelievable how fast he can switch directions. Here are some vintage highlights from last night's game.

Beware of knicks bearing gifts...

I am taken aback by your insinuating comments, sir. I am but a simple Knick fan with magnanimity in my heart. If we can't have a good season, another team should be able to!
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#12 » by andyhop » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:56 am

Hellcrooner wrote:Would be good for knicks and wolves if they swapped Rose and Oquinn for Rubio and Shabazz.

Horrifically bad for the Wolves,
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,895

Post#13 » by DaGawd » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:59 am

God please no. I do not like Rubio
BaF
Washington Wizards
PeptoKlepto
Senior
And1: 702

Post#14 » by PeptoKlepto » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:00 am

Doubt they'll find any suitors. He's an expensive half-year rental that doesn't fit all schemes with some loose screws upstairs. I can't see a great fit that's realistic off the bat.
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,861

Post#15 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:43 am

PeptoKlepto wrote:Doubt they'll find any suitors. He's an expensive half-year rental that doesn't fit all schemes with some loose screws upstairs. I can't see a great fit that's realistic off the bat.

I wouldn't underestimate the value that having a big expiring deal come off the books, though. That's part of the value of an expiring contract. As a Knicks fan, I definitely don't want to take back any long-term salary, though, so it kind of negates that advantage.

Swapping a 3/4 year deal on a player you aren't enthralled with for a player that provides value on the court AND comes off the books increasing your cap flexibility and lowering your tax obligations is definitely a big + for a lot of teams. So the fact that he is just a half year rental could actually be seen as beneficial in some cases.

As for Rose as a player, I think what this year has demonstrated is that he does one thing very well and struggles in other facets of the game.

He gets into the lane and puts pressure on the defense, capable of creating a shot against even very tough defenses. With more usage, he'd easily be a 20ppg scorer. He just can't play D, rebound, or distribute the ball well.

The issue with Rose's offense is that he is shaky on 3's and doesn't get to the line much at all, which kills his efficiency, and he always looks to get his first. Instead of making the right play, he thinks "what can I do to score", which is fine if you're Westbrook, Harden. Lebron, etc, but not fine if you aren't an elite talent.

So yeah, Rose definitely still has value as a player. 17.7/4/5/4 and an 16.5 PER show that he can still get buckets and be an above-average contributor. It's about finding the right role for him, which to me seems like a 6th man at this point against most matchups. There are plenty of teams that could benefit from that, especially ones like LAC where their offense flounders when certain players aren't on the floor.

But will they want to trade for him? And what would they want to give up? Probably not much.

phil might also want to save face. He traded away a very high-value asset (in terms of the contract given) in Robin Lopez, a solid big at a below-market deal and an OK young prospect to get Rose just a few months ago it seems. Does he really want to deal him away with nothing to show.

The good thing is from the deal with Rose is we netted a second round pick and Justin Holiday, which itself always seems like solid value considering we got rid of Calderon's bum self and Lopez's long-term salary to clear up the books (which we spent on Noah for some reason :( )

But still, looking back, the deal wasn't so bad, though I'd have rather kept Lopez and tried to deal him for a first round pick (Korver got a first rounder, wouldn't be surprised if we got that for Lopez)

But yeah, Rose still has value. Almost every average or better NBA player can bring value in the right situation. There's definitely a place for him somewhere. Even somewhere like OKC where they struggle with offense when Westbrook isn't on the court would really benefit from him. They just won't want to give up much.
Jason_Todd
Junior
And1: 198

Post#16 » by Jason_Todd » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:43 am

I´ll offer the Knicks my copy of nba Live ´96 for psx. They´ll probably accept.
PeptoKlepto
Senior
And1: 702

Post#17 » by PeptoKlepto » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:46 am

TheDavinciCHODE wrote:He gets into the lane and puts pressure on the defense, capable of creating a shot against even very tough defenses. With more usage, he'd easily be a 20ppg scorer. He just can't play D, rebound, or distribute the ball well.

In that case teams would probably rather trade for a Lou Williams.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#18 » by RaptorsLife » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:47 am

Reggie Jackson for rose makes sense
Raptors til death
engelbert321
Head Coach
And1: 1,369

Post#19 » by engelbert321 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:51 am