2/16 | Thursday Game Thread | NBA on TNT

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Game of the Night

WAS at IND
50%
BOS at CHI
50%

Total votes: 22

KnightofHyrule
Sixth Man
And1: 1,929

Re: 2/16 | Thursday Game Thread | NBA on TNT 

Post#101 » by KnightofHyrule » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:01 am

JustWin wrote:The one time where the refs call a foul to decide the game, on a phantom call none the less... Funny how Derozan was hammered at the end of the Pistons game yet there was no foul called...

While I do agree that DeRozan's no call was 10x worse than this, DeRozan deserved it. Butler actually tried to score...DeRozan tried to draw a foul. That's weak.
casey_glory7 wrote:Raptors vs GS finals 2018 confirmed. I'll pay every realgm member 50 bucks if im wrong.

Thanks for ruining everything, KD....
KnightofHyrule
Sixth Man
And1: 1,929

Post#102 » by KnightofHyrule » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:03 am

KHRICH wrote:I hate how in the nba people think at certain points a call shouldnt be made if its called in the first quarter it needs to be called in the 4th a foul is a **** foul

But that's because the refs make it that way. They are inconsistent with that call.
casey_glory7 wrote:Raptors vs GS finals 2018 confirmed. I'll pay every realgm member 50 bucks if im wrong.

Thanks for ruining everything, KD....
lakerhater
General Manager
And1: 1,887

Post#103 » by lakerhater » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:19 am

zimpy27 wrote:
G Buckets wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Yeah I thought it was a bad call but you can see him touch his elbow at 1:15. :-?

Ball don't lie I guess.

It was a foul, and it's was the right call.

(Not a reply towards you)

Who cares about the situation of the game. It's a foul, and should be called that. End of story.

Yeah technically it' a foul and I don't think you can argue against it but they never call touch fouls like that at the end of games (Bulls fans should know that :wink:) so I can see why Celtic fans are angry.

Looked like he fouled him twice, one with the right hand on the hip as Butler drives from right to left and then the elbow hit.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#104 » by Mylie10 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:22 am

John Havlicek 45 minutes per game average in 1970/71

Stop whining kids!
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,479

Post#105 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:33 am

Read on Twitter

One last thing and i am out
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#106 » by GreenBloodedC » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:36 am

If you have to watch it in the replay N times in slowmo, take a picture of the actual contact, doubt should be resolved in favor of a no call.

The fact that it has been controversial means it was a wrong call.

And assuming arguendo that it should be a foul, refs should never decide the outcome of games. Aaaand that late call is what makes it worse.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,626

Post#107 » by Dez » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:55 am

GreenBloodedC wrote:If you have to watch it in the replay N times in slowmo, take a picture of the actual contact, doubt should be resolved in favor of a no call.

And assuming arguendo that it should be a foul, refs should never decide the outcome of games. Aaaand that late call is what makes it worse.

Well good thing it wasn't controversial and there's clear footage of contact being made with Butler's elbow while he's shooting.
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#108 » by GreenBloodedC » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:30 am

Dez wrote:
GreenBloodedC wrote:If you have to watch it in the replay N times in slowmo, take a picture of the actual contact, doubt should be resolved in favor of a no call.

Well good thing it wasn't controversial and there's clear footage of contact being made with Butler's elbow while he's shooting.

Yup. Definitely not. :-?

PS, I used the wrong term. The call may be right, but IMO the judgment of the ref was not. But, meh. One game. We can live with this.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,134

Post#109 » by Edrees » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:56 am

Dez wrote:

lmao not controversial? is that why every neutral fan is calling bull on this? What's controversial is making that call to end a game, and whether he had any effect on the shot. yes he grazed the elbow that's not the controversial part.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#110 » by DaddyCool19 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:36 am

If it's a foul call it when it happens and don't wait if Jimmy makes the shot... That shouldn't influence their call. If its a foul call it right away and if he makes the shot it should give the player the chance for an and 1
Dez
Head Coach

Post#111 » by Dez » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:02 am

Edrees wrote:
Dez wrote:

lmao not controversial? is that why every neutral fan is calling bull on this? What's controversial is making that call to end a game, and whether he had any effect on the shot. yes he grazed the elbow that's not the controversial part.

It appears every neutral fan is blind, he hit Butler in the elbow while he was shooting and the foul was called before the ball missed.

The ref was on the baseline and couldn't see if the ball was off or not which is still irrelevant because it was a foul.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#112 » by bondom34 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:31 am

Dez wrote:
Edrees wrote:
Dez wrote:Well good thing it wasn't controversial and there's clear footage of contact being made with Butler's elbow while he's shooting.

It appears every neutral fan is blind, he hit Butler in the elbow while he was shooting and the foul was called before the ball missed.

The ref was on the baseline and couldn't see if the ball was off or not which is still irrelevant because it was a foul.

Nope, I missed the game but just saw replay, he got him. Barely, but hit the elbow.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,044

Post#113 » by queridiculo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:47 am

Not a lot of contact, but he does catch him and it's obvious that he's going for the shooters elbow.

Not sure what Smart was thinking to be honest.
DTP
General Manager
And1: 6,765

Post#114 » by DTP » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:50 am

It was the right call. Lol at Celtics fans crying about it after clear evidence that it was a foul. There's no such thing as a ticky tack foul when its hitting the shooter's elbow.
Dez
Head Coach

Post#115 » by Dez » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:25 am

bondom34 wrote:
Dez wrote:
Edrees wrote:

Nope, I missed the game but just saw replay, he got him. Barely, but hit the elbow.

I did say appears :D
Blackfyre
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,498

Post#116 » by Blackfyre » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:31 am

Clearly a foul. It was hard to tell at first but they made the right call.
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#117 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Good, because Smart plays trash D anyhow. Anytime he is guarding someone who is try to drive he hand checks and holds player so not to let them blow by him when they turn the corner on him.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,857

Post#118 » by 24istheLAW » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:54 pm

KnightofHyrule wrote:
KHRICH wrote:I hate how in the nba people think at certain points a call shouldnt be made if its called in the first quarter it needs to be called in the 4th a foul is a **** foul

But that's because the refs make it that way. They are inconsistent with that call.

Yep, what people who are bringing stills that show contact at a level that's one step above scanning tunneling microscopy are missing is that consistency is the crucial element of refereeing. If you're going to call that once, you better call it every other time. Not just randomly call it once.
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,479

Post#119 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:05 pm

queridiculo wrote:Not a lot of contact, but he does catch him and it's obvious that he's going for the shooters elbow.

Not sure what Smart was thinking to be honest.

Its one of the oldest tricks in the book to slightly tap the elbow hoping refs don't catch it...Smart knew what he was doing
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,044

Post#120 » by queridiculo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:31 pm

BeatDaCavs420 wrote:Its one of the oldest tricks in the book to slightly tap the elbow hoping refs don't catch it...Smart knew what he was doing

It was dumb, he played great defense and forced Butler into a tough shot.

Return to The General Board