Indiana Media on Paul George (UPDATE: Pg 4)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,304

Re: Indiana Media on Paul George 

Post#21 » by boomershadow » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:44 pm

J-Ves wrote:This is the classic "the team isn't doing well so assign blame to the one guy who doesn't deserve it" move.

I think he's correct to resist the move to power forward. He's one of the premiere perimeter defenders in the league and should be guarding the Jimmy Butlers, Demar Derozans, Wades, Lebrons, Hardens, etc. etc. of the league and not, say, the Kevin Love, Davis, Favors, Ibaka, type of players. I also think some of the criticisms of the Pacers roster are justified. Much of this year we were starting Thad Young and Monta Ellis and wondering why couldn't rebound or defend.

But I don't think it's correct to say he doesn't deserve any of the blame for our current situation. There are plenty of games this season where he hasn't played with the fire, the competitiveness, or elite scoring ability that you need from the supermax star player of the team. That example has to start with him, first and foremost. He came into this year wanting to demonstrate that he belongs in the same MVP conversation as the Lebrons, KDs, Westbrook, Hardens of the league. And he hasn't.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,395

Post#22 » by reload141 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:47 pm

Will Larry REALLY let him leave for nothing? Seems like a pretty stupid move if PG has indicated he won't re-sign.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#23 » by magnumt » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Every city does this. ESPECIALLY the bigger ones.

When you're the star of the team you bear the brunt of the criticisms in bad times. Sometimes it runs players out of town, other times, things turn around.

They're still (for now), Playoffs bound. The writers just need something to wrote about (quotas and all :lol: ), so they stir controversy. Heck, we have some of the biggest controversy stirrers in NYC (Isola, Steven A Smith, Michael Kay, Stefan Bondy, etc). :lol: :nonono:

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
Warchant
Analyst
And1: 1,265

Post#24 » by Warchant » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:56 pm

KnightofHyrule wrote:Joseph, Carroll, Sullinger, Bebe + pick to Indiana for George and Seraphin.

Starters:
PG Lowry
SG DeRozan
SF George
PF Ibaka
C Valanciunas

Bench:
PG Wright
SG VanVleet
SF Powell
PF Patterson/Poeltl
C Seraphin

The chip?

That wuld b a pretty sick team w depth...not sure Ind wuld go for that trade though
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,304

Post#25 » by boomershadow » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:59 pm

reload141 wrote:Will Larry REALLY let him leave for nothing? Seems like a pretty stupid move if PG has indicated he won't re-sign.

He can't be a free agent until his PO for 2018-19. I highly doubt we let him go this season. We're still heading for the playoffs and we'll see how the rest of this year goes. Any hypothetical deal to just get something in return because he doesn't intend to resign likely wouldn't happen until this summer or next season before the deadline.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#26 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:05 pm

Good for Paul George. What Bird has done there is a travesty.

Bad for some local asshat reporters. I have started to develop a healthy disdain.
Wraps_fan
Analyst
And1: 5,735

Post#27 » by Wraps_fan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:05 pm

Read on Twitter
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,395

Post#28 » by reload141 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:06 pm

Wraps_fan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Shame Toronto has no assets for him! Haha
Wraps_fan
Analyst

Post#29 » by Wraps_fan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:07 pm

reload141 wrote:
Wraps_fan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Shame Toronto has no assets for him! Haha

Haha
RasheedTupac
Senior
And1: 451

Post#30 » by RasheedTupac » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:15 pm

Drummond + 2017 pick for George

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Wraps_fan
Analyst

Post#31 » by Wraps_fan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:15 pm

RasheedTupac wrote:Drummond + 2017 pick for George

I think you overestimate how much value Drummond has
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#32 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:18 pm

PG needs to come home and play for his favorite team growing up. The team that should have drafted him to begin with.

Riko
Rookie
And1: 685

Post#33 » by Riko » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:25 pm

Denver should make an offer.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,128

Post#34 » by jbk1234 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:35 pm

I don't get how any criticism of a star constitutes *pushing him out.* These players are human. They make mistakes. Sometimes they need to hear it. Small forwards play power forwards in small ball line ups all the time. It's one thing to ask him to play that position for 40 mpg. But if they're asking him to play PF in certain rotations, I don't get what the problem is.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#35 » by pacers33granger » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:39 pm

OptionZero wrote:Indiana really FUBAR'd themselves lately. Not upgrading from Vogel (i don't think he's great, he's ok, but McMillan ain't the guy), the Monta deal, letting Solomon Hill walk (who would be a pretty nice option at PF on his option year they declined), letting Mahinmi walk, trading Hill for Teague (lateral move at best), signing worthless Al Jefferson . . .

Mcmillan isn't great, but he's been an upgrade from Vogel. Burke has run the same defense just fine, but the personnel is different. The offense is much better under Mcmillan.

The Monta deal was meh, but it hasn't hurt us. We don't sign free agents. Monta was one of the biggest ones we've ever signed (which is sad).

We couldn't pay Solo more than the option we declined, which was declined because he had a poor attitude and showed up to camp out of shape. Would have been nice to have him cheap for another year, but no one is losing sleep over missing out on retaining him.

Not sure how letting Ian walk is an issue. He's barely played at all this year. At least Big Al has played. His defense is atrocious and his offense inconsistent but he's worth having around as a mentor for Turner (we've seen Turner start to use some of his post moves).

And Teague has been much better than Hill ever was for us while being younger (and healthy). He's consistently been our 2nd best guy on the court and sometimes our best guy. Hill was awesome, but was never that kind of player. Not sure how that's a lateral move and even if it is lateral, then it's not a bad move.

I mean what was Bird's other option? Hang on to Hibbert and beg David West to not go ring chasing? Give Lance another chance? Let Vogel employ the same grind it out strategy that goes .500 and gets knocked out in the 1st round? That team was done and needed to be rebuilt around PG.

The problem right now is injuries started to hit right when the team began to gel. Thad isn't a great 3 point shooter, but was respectable this year. Now our spacing is trash starting Seraphin and he and Turner occupy the same space in the mid range. We won't be a great team this year but improvement from Turner/GR3 and a solid bench signing or two along with continuity could make us an entirely different team next year.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#36 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:39 pm

PG was joking around with Wall and Beal during our last game. We would have to clear a lot of capspace in 2018 but would love to see PG13 teaming up with a real point guard

RasheedTupac
Senior
And1: 451

Post#37 » by RasheedTupac » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Wraps_fan wrote:
RasheedTupac wrote:Drummond + 2017 pick for George

I think you overestimate how much value Drummond has

That's why I added a 2017 pick

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,979

Post#38 » by Capn'O » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:40 pm

This trade deadline could be bananas. That said, Indy shouldn't trade him, imo. They'd end up regretting it.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#39 » by RaptorsLife » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:41 pm

I would trade him for derozan straight up I doubt pacers would do that though
Raptors til death
JAY DASH
Pro Prospect
And1: 455

Post#40 » by JAY DASH » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:44 pm

boomershadow wrote:
J-Ves wrote:This is the classic "the team isn't doing well so assign blame to the one guy who doesn't deserve it" move.

I think he's correct to resist the move to power forward. He's one of the premiere perimeter defenders in the league and should be guarding the Jimmy Butlers, Demar Derozans, Wades, Lebrons, Hardens, etc. etc. of the league and not, say, the Kevin Love, Davis, Favors, Ibaka, type of players. I also think some of the criticisms of the Pacers roster are justified. Much of this year we were starting Thad Young and Monta Ellis and wondering why couldn't rebound or defend.

But I don't think it's correct to say he doesn't deserve any of the blame for our current situation. There are plenty of games this season where he hasn't played with the fire, the competitiveness, or elite scoring ability that you need from the supermax star player of the team. That example has to start with him, first and foremost. He came into this year wanting to demonstrate that he belongs in the same MVP conversation as the Lebrons, KDs, Westbrook, Hardens of the league. And he hasn't.

100% agree with this. There's plenty of nights where he just doesn't bring it...and it's frustrating as a guy that enjoys watching him play because when he tries, he's one hell of a basketball player. Some times I do have to remember that he had a horrific leg injury and there's no guarantee that it doesn't bother him sometimes.

On another note, I wouldn't play the four if I was him either. Not unless the other team was going small (ie KD playing PF for GS). Just because he's 6'8 doesn't mean he should be guarding guys who play PF full time.

Return to The General Board