ImageImageImageImageImage

Official New York Rangers Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,401

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#61 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sun Jan 1, 2017 4:11 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:The coach who called out Hank and was fired.

That's ok....CBJ wont do anything in the playoffs.....Torts' teams are setup for the regular season...don't do s**t in tournaments...
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#62 » by N8isScofield » Sun Jan 1, 2017 4:29 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:
N8isScofield wrote:Yeah it's not looking good for poor Hank. Honestly it will be good for the team when his contract is off the books. You just don't need a goalie making huge money to win a cup. That money is much better spent on an elite center or defenseman or spread around to give raises to the kids as they become arbitration eligible. I still think that we're a team desperately in need of a true star who can carry the scoring the load in the playoffs. We've got 4 good lines but ever team that wins has at least one and usually 2 absolutely elite forwards.The positive thing about the Rangers though is that because of the history, current success and fanbase it actually is a true destination for free agents in their primes if we've got cap space.

You make a GREAT point about goalies. This is not the days of every day goaltender being the "closer" to win a Cup as it was with Mike Vernon, Patrick Roy, Ron Hextall, Martin Brodeur, Dominik Hasek, Curtis Joseph, and Mike Richter. Teams often utilize a two goalie system, making sure their #1 is WELL-RESTED for the playoffs. Think about the goalies on the Stanley Cup winning teams, they were very good but they weren't dominating. It was the system which utilized quicker, deeper 4 lines and big athletic defensemen who can shove guys out of the way.

I'll be overjoyed when ridiculous contracts of Staal, Girardi, and Lundqvist are off the books. I LOVE the youth the Rangers have and in a couple seasons, they'll be hitting their prime as the Rangers can re-load their roster via free agency.

Exactly. I mean it's more than understandable that we've kept Henrik as long as we have. He's pretty consistently been top 5 and usually top 2 or 3 for his entire career as a Ranger. Some years he was the only good thing we had going so I don't necessarily blame the front office for giving him the money his performances warranted. I just don't know that it was the best way to go about winning the cup. I think we wasted the last year of him being truly in his prime when we lost to the Kings. That was the year to get it done. I agree, it will be great to have Staal and especially Girardi off of the books too. They also had some really good years for us but unfortunately as so often happens their prime came on rosters that couldn't contend and we're stuck paying them for what they did years ago which hinders our ability to sign premium talent. The hope is that kids likes Graves pan out so that we do have some big physical defensemen to where we can build like a modern team. Raanta is certainly a nice start in the goalie department so hopefully we can be players when some of the top forwards become available in free agency over the next couple of years. Most pressing though is that we've got to get poor McD some help. He has to do the job of 2 men out there every single night. He'd be an even better player with a semi capable partner.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#63 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Jan 3, 2017 7:18 pm

Hockey night, Rangers have a chance to win their 4th straight against the Buffalo Sabres. Pretty much the Rangers are keeping pace and it's really good team contribution without Rick Nash, Pavel Buchnevich, and Mika Zibanejad. Raata has a 2.28 GAA. You really can't be upset.

Think the upcoming Philly game will be an acid litmus test.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#64 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Jan 4, 2017 3:37 am

Wow. Henrik Lundqvist allowed 4 goals on just 19 shots. He let in 3 goals in the first period. Ladies and gentlemen, this guy is really looking like he's facing an epic collapse in performance.

I don't know where the Rangers go from here but it's evident that this team will NOT get out of the first round IF they get play like this.

Anyone know how much longer they have on Hank's contract?
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,964

Post#65 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Jan 4, 2017 4:23 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:Wow. Henrik Lundqvist allowed 4 goals on just 19 shots. He let in 3 goals in the first period. Ladies and gentlemen, this guy is really looking like he's facing an epic collapse in performance.

I don't know where the Rangers go from here but it's evident that this team will NOT get out of the first round IF they get play like this.

20/21 with a No Movement Clause.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#66 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Jan 4, 2017 9:17 am

Manhattan Project wrote:20/21 with a No Movement Clause.

Ah, man. Terrible contract. This guy is already nearing his mid 30s. *shakes head*
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#67 » by N8isScofield » Wed Jan 4, 2017 11:36 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Wow. Henrik Lundqvist allowed 4 goals on just 19 shots. He let in 3 goals in the first period. Ladies and gentlemen, this guy is really looking like he's facing an epic collapse in performance.

20/21 with a No Movement Clause.

Yikes. It's so sad too. The guy is class personified and has carried this franchise for years so it's really hard to see him struggling like this.Maybe there's hope though. Didn't Brodeur have one or 2 really bad seasons followed by a couple of really good ones in the twilight of his career?
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#68 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Jan 4, 2017 9:27 pm

Brodeur's worst season came during 2005-6 season where his GAA was 2.57 with 43 wins and lost in the Semi-Finals. He was 34 if I am reading this right. We're roughly the same age. Then in 2010-11 and 2011-12 he had mortal seasons with 2.45 and 2.41 respectively at age 38 and 39 respectively. Devils missed the playoffs in 2010 and in 2011-12 lost in the Finals to the Kings (sounds familiar).

From that point on, he couldn't really stay healthy from that point on and eventually retired in St. Louis where most hockey players go to die.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#69 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Jan 5, 2017 7:08 am

Rangers bounced back and destroyed the Flyers 5-2 in Philly. That's more like it.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#70 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:43 pm

Last night I attended the Rangers-Kings game, section 114 row 12 seats 19, 20 and witnessed a tired Ranger team carried by their goaltender in back to back victories: 1-0 OT win in Detroit, 3-2 Win against LA at MSG. The Kings had shelled Lundqvist 12 times before the Rangers had their 1st shot. Henrik stood tall and the league quaked as the old indomitable goaltender has emerged from his slumber.

48 games into the season, the Rangers are 4th in the division with 63 pts...

2nd best offense

12th goals against

10th power play

11th penalty kill.

That's about right. Despite Kevin Hayes being out for 2-3 weeks, the Rangers are getting healthier with Nash, Buchnevich, Zibanejad are back.

If the Playoffs started today, the Rangers would be playing the Penguins whom they have not been successful against during this season.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#71 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Feb 7, 2017 9:16 pm

Last Sunday, I attended the Rangers-Calgary Flames matinee game at MSG Section 110 Row 9. Really good up and down game. Flames are a FAST team. Similar to Florida, they don't really have a style so much as they have young guys who just tie on their skates and go end to end till the period ends. In the first period, they shocked the Rangers going 1-0 until Nash tied it up 1-1 and Ranger fans saved themselves from a trip to the Cardiac module of Lennox Hill Hospital. Then Grabner knocked one in to go 2-1 but the Flames kept coming back. Rangers held on to win 4-3.

That said, the Rangers cannot make up ANY ground as they sit 4th in the Metro-sexual division. I don't like their chances of getting out of the first round. Henrik's play has been up and down. Defenseman Kevin Klein has been invisible for the entire season: One goal and eleven assists over 48 games and a +/- of +1. Yes, the Rangers NEED an upgrade at the defensive position with Staal and Girardi looking a little long in the tooth. THAT said, the forwards are younger, faster and deeper than they have ever been. As a glass half full, the Rangers will be a contending team in the years to come but that ONE defining piece eludes them.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#72 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:12 pm

Last night, I attend the Rangers-Predators game, section 115 Row 22. Great back and forth game. Predators raced out to a 2-0 lead in the first. Rangers took control, tying the game 2-2 in the second period. Third period raced out to 4-2 lead, hung on to win 4-3. The Oakley chants were amusing.

Defenseman PK Subban is still an offensive force (2 assists) but a TERRIBLE skater backwards. Once the Rangers got the puck, they just streaked right past him as he can't position himself. Subban's contract is unreal. $11M per season.

Trade rumor talk...The Rangers have $10M to play with. They want to pair someone with McDonagh. Kevin Shattenkirk, Dougie Hamilton, Jacob Trouba, Ryan Ellis, and Brandon Montour are possibilities IF the price is right.

I just hope the Rangers don't give up all the young talent they have right now.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#73 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:26 am

Ok, people. While the Knicks have been in turmoil the OTHER Dolan team, the New York Rangers have taken 7 of the last 8, last win 2-1 vs Capitals at the Garden. They are now in a dog fight locked in a 2-2 tie against Mount-Real.

Rangers trying to ascend from 4th in the deadly Metropolitan Division: Caps, Pens, Blue Jackets.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#74 » by poeman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:49 am

They just lost a tough shootout. Their division is like the western conference of the NBA
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#75 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:10 am

poeman wrote:They just lost a tough shootout. Their division is like the western conference of the NBA

Zibanejad made two bone headed mistakes, the high sticking with under 5 minutes left. Then on the shoot out, he tried to stuff it on Price, which is impossible.

I realize he is still getting into a rhythm after breaking his leg but it's nerve racking. :banghead:
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#76 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:11 am

After an OT win in Toronto, Rangers win in NJ. They are in 3rd place, neck and neck with the Pens but should they want it? I mean, 4th place would line them up against the Canadians, an easier team than say Columbus or Pittsburgh.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#77 » by magnumt » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:24 pm

Nice trade for the Rangers & Red Wings today:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#78 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Mar 1, 2017 1:29 am

Yeah a steep price for a guy who has only 5 pts total all season long. Rangers LOST out to Shattenkirk who is the PERFECT defenseman to compliment McDonagh. He went to the Caps. UGH! *shakes head* Dolan!!!! :banghead:

Rangers 2 Capitals 1 in the 2nd.

Check that.

It was waived off.

1-1....
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#79 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Mar 1, 2017 2:21 am

Capitals 3 Rangers 1. Yup, that's what happens when you don't go after Shattenkirk.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,964

Post#80 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Mar 1, 2017 2:32 am

I have no problem with the Rangers not going after Shattenkirk at THAT price especially since the Yandle trade fizzled on them. With the way Gorton has done thus far, why trade for Shattenkirk. If he really wants to come here then come at the end of the year, it's similar to the Melo situation, I rather wait. Maybe see what you can get for Grabner, cash in on him possibly.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones

Return to New York Knicks