chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,953

Re: Free Agency 

Post#161 » by chitownsports4ever » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:42 am

Betta Bulleavit wrote:
Axxo wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:That's understandable. It sucks that we couldn't get something done with Alshon because losing him just creates another need to address. Having said that, Pace was at the helm of the building of a pretty good Saints team. As of today, just about everybody from the pre-Pace era is gone now. So I'm willing to sit back and see what he has in mind from this point forward. It would be very nice if we could work something out to get Cooks. But I know that's just a pipe dream.

Yeah, the anticipation of "the Saints Pace" we have all this cap space and then to see all the good players getting signed somewhere else and we only got Demps and Glennon has created some...disappointment. Mabe he can eat a bad contract for extra draft picks like the Browns.

Well I think that it's important that we keep this thing in perspective as well. This is (by most accounts) one of the weakest free agent classes in a while. And it just so happens that bad teams have money to spend. The combination of those two elements often leads to a ton of bad contracts. The problem for Pace though is that he's on the clock big time. So it's almost like he's being forced to be active in a free agent class that really doesn't warrant the money that's being given. So it could be that Pace is throwing the dice by not giving out insane contracts in the spirit of using fiscal responsibility as a talking point for keeping his job. Just a thought.

The cap and contracts are going up whether Pace likes it or not and thats where he seems to be lost . How can anyone look at the top corner market coming into this year and then be taken aback by the demands of the to corners on the market. pace is selling some of you a bill of goods and i cant believe people are falling for this . I read that Goodwin actually said he was disappointed that Pace and the bears were not serious with the offer

Josh Norman 14 mill
Richard Sherman 14 mil
Patrick Peterson 14 mill
Joe haden 13.5 mill
Janoris Jenkins 12.5

and those as of now are old db contracts so pace blew it trying to pay current fa's according to the market from a couple of years ago before the cap went up . Whats sad is that he didnt have to snag every top free agent he only needed to snag one of the top 2 corners and if he knew that Bouje wanted to stay in warm weather than Gilmore was a must get no matter what because at the end of end of the day the one thing he knew coming out of this offseason is that the bears if nothing else had a chance to put together an elite defense no matter who the qb was .

The patriots had Malcolm Butler and jumped at the chance to get Gilmore locked in at 14 million ? Why because they know with the cap increase that the numbers for corners will be even larger for Butler next season

Next year when its possible that Vontae Davis ,Kam Chancellor ,Butler are on the market you think any of these guys are gonna be signed at 14 million dollars ?

Im sorry but Pace blew this and Im not talking about Glennon .
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
patryk7754
Head Coach
And1: 1,093

Post#162 » by patryk7754 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:01 am

It's without a doubt be an underwhelming free agency so far (but we're only 6hours in) but you have to consider that we're not losing guys to just anyone. These FA are getting huge contracts from playoff teams. We lost out on Bouye to a team that might have the best defense next season and win their division. We lost Gilmore to the SB champs. We don't know what the Bears offered these guys but if we did offer Gilmore 14/15 like the Pats did he would still sign with the Pats. Things have to be put into perspective. So far, the only guys we've signed that I wanted are Sims and Wheaton. Everybody else is getting paid significantly more than expected (or at least more than I expected). Before we start freaking out we need to let some time pass before judging this offseason as a complete failure. If you just look at the guys we signed, we signed some pretty good guys even if you don't include Glennon. As for Glennon, when his contract is compared to other QB contracts, it's not that bad. There are still top tier FAs left and even if we don't sign them it doesn't mean it's been a complete disaster. Not great? Yes. But we're on pace to have a good FA. We're probably going to sign one of the plenty RT and CB since those seemed to be the main targets. If we add Bryan Bell and Logan Ryan to the guys we already signed then we end up with a pretty damn good FA. If we don't the we had a decent FA but that's ok since the past two have been great (despite what someone may think). All this panic and we're not even at the draft.
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#163 » by patryk7754 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:15 am

As of right now, I'd say our biggest needs are CB, RT, WR. I'd like to sign Logan Ryan, Byron Bell or Barclay, and Boldin. I doubt we sign another WR. If we sign Ryan and Bell, then these are our starters heading into the draft:

Defense
Bullard?, Goldman, Hicks
McPhee, Freeman, Travathan, Floyd
Ryan, Porter, Fuller
Amos, Demps

Offense
Leno, Sitton, Whitehair, Long, Bell (or Barclay)
Glennon
Howard
White, Wheaton, Meredith
Miller, Sims

That leaves us with two needs; DE and WR. You can throw in CB depth as well. It so happens that Allen (DE) will most likely be there for us at 3 and this is one of the deepest WR and CB drafts in recent memory.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,208

Post#164 » by fleet » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:19 am

I think O line is a major need now, with the type of quarterback we have. They say he has to have a clean pocket or he fails. I'd say a real OT is a priority
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#165 » by chitownsports4ever » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:20 am

patryk7754 wrote:It's without a doubt be an underwhelming free agency so far (but we're only 6hours in) but you have to consider that we're not losing guys to just anyone. These FA are getting huge contracts from playoff teams. We lost out on Bouye to a team that might have the best defense next season and win their division. We lost Gilmore to the SB champs. We don't know what the Bears offered these guys but if we did offer Gilmore 14/15 like the Pats did he would still sign with the Pats. Things have to be put into perspective. So far, the only guys we've signed that I wanted are Sims and Wheaton. Everybody else is getting paid significantly more than expected (or at least more than I expected). Before we start freaking out we need to let some time pass before judging this offseason as a complete failure. If you just look at the guys we signed, we signed some pretty good guys even if you don't include Glennon. As for Glennon, when his contract is compared to other QB contracts, it's not that bad. There are still top tier FAs left and even if we don't sign them it doesn't mean it's been a complete disaster. Not great? Yes. But we're on pace to have a good FA. We're probably going to sign one of the plenty RT and CB since those seemed to be the main targets. If we add Bryan Bell and Logan Ryan to the guys we already signed then we end up with a pretty damn good FA. If we don't the we had a decent FA but that's ok since the past two have been great (despite what someone may think). All this panic and we're not even at the draft.

Im sorry but this has not been a decent free agency at this point its a D+ . You go into this offseason knowing full well that finding a damn Shane falco is gonna be a long shot we all hope but we know the reality . But we all know damn well that the defense was a back end away from being elite and despite being flush with cap we balk at paying a 25 year old guy who plays the defenses biggest position of needed ?

Read on Twitter

Now the tweet before that says that Gilmore didnt even find out about the Patriots interest until this morning which means that Pace couldve probably locked locked Gilmore up last night 14 million .

Like I said earlier you add Gilmore you add Demps and you add Hooker or Adams and we are all talking about how weve won with defense and running game before we can go for a qb next season .

This is bout knowing your base and how to save your job while being able to continuing to build the team.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,208

Post#166 » by fleet » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:24 am

chitownsports4ever wrote:
Im sorry but this has not been a decent free agency at this point its a D+ . You go into this offseason knowing full well that finding a damn Shane falco is gonna be a long shot we all hope but we know the reality . But we all know damn well that the defense was a back end away from being elite and despite being flush with cap we balk at paying a 25 year old guy who plays the defenses biggest position of needed ?

Read on Twitter

Now the tweet before that says that Gilmore didnt even find out about the Patriots interest until this morning which means that Pace couldve probably locked locked Gilmore up last night 14 million .

Like I said earlier you add Gilmore you add Demps and you add Hooker or Adams and we are all talking about how weve won with defense and running game before we can go for a qb next season .

This is bout knowing your base and how to save your job while being able to continuing to build the team.

Just, wow. I hope the rest of the money is earmarked for something important. Major fail.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#167 » by chitownsports4ever » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:34 am

fleet wrote:I think O line is a major need now, with the type of quarterback we have. They say he has to have a clean pocket or he fails. I'd say a real OT is a priority

Ryan Clady ,Kelvin Beachum, Matt Kalil are the top choices of whats left . I think it will probably end up being Beachum if hes not gone already .
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#168 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:43 am

Not sure why people keep bringing up the injury excuse? Green Bay was depleted all season. Vikings had their issues too.

This is the NFL. Injuries are part of the game, and every team goes through them. Depth is the key in overcoming them. Bears don't have that. Bunch of unproven, inconsistent young guys on the bench.

It's still early, but they are still the worst team in the division.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#169 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:57 am

If they can get Watson without having to use the 3rd pick, they damn well better do it. Even if it means moving back up into the later end of 1st round. Even if you draft a QB this year, doesn't mean you can't do it again next season too.

This idea of always waiting til next year to address the QB position is what has this franchise in the position it's in. I remember so many people saying the same thing last year too. Dak Prescott sure has hell would be nice to have right now.

There is a reason why the Bears stink every year, and they have something in common with the other two teams in town that stink every year. Their FO/GMs aren't proactive. The Glennon signing is a pure reactionary move.
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#170 » by Axxo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:46 am

Well how much cap space is left?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#171 » by patryk7754 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:57 am

fleet wrote:I think O line is a major need now, with the type of quarterback we have. They say he has to have a clean pocket or he fails. I'd say a real OT is a priority

Ryan Clady ,Kelvin Beachum, Matt Kalil are the top choices of whats left . I think it will probably end up being Beachum if hes not gone already .

Reiff is the best available and i think Matt signed with the PAnthers.
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#172 » by patryk7754 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:02 am

RedBulls83 wrote:If they can get Watson without having to use the 3rd pick, they damn well better do it. Even if it means moving back up into the later end of 1st round. Even if you draft a QB this year, doesn't mean you can't do it again next season too.

This idea of always waiting til next year to address the QB position is what has this franchise in the position it's in. I remember so many people saying the same thing last year too. Dak Prescott sure has hell would be nice to have right now.

There is a reason why the Bears stink every year, and they have something in common with the other two teams in town that stink every year. Their FO/GMs aren't proactive. The Glennon signing is a pure reactionary move.

I think drafting Watson in the 1st or giving extra picks to trade up for him isn't worth it. I think he doesn't have the accuracy to be successful and he's to turnover prone. I'd much rather draft Davis Webb in the 3rd or 4th.

And why do you say Glennon was a reactionary move? Although I have my reservations about the signing, I don't think Pace was panicking about adding a QB. If that was the case, I think Jimmy G. would be a bear right now and the Pats would have half our picks.
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#173 » by patryk7754 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:09 am

Here's an out there idea.

This was supposed to the be season the Packers actually brought everyone back and spent a lot in FA. The opposite has happened. They lost Hyde and their center (one of the best). Probably going to lose Peppers and Cook. Barclay is still out there and longer he's not resigned the higher the chance he leaves. On top of that, I don't think they've added any significant FA.

Rogers looks at that gets angry doesn't resign with the Packers. Signs with us. Releases hell upon the world.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#174 » by chitownsports4ever » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:46 am

patryk7754 wrote:

Reiff is the best available and i think Matt signed with the PAnthers.

Reiff went to the Vikings as well :lol:
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#175 » by patryk7754 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:50 am

Logan Ryan signed with the titans. 3/30
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#176 » by chitownsports4ever » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:08 am

Matt Barkley is apparently signing with the Niners too.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#177 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:59 am

chitownsports4ever wrote:Matt Barkley is apparently signing with the Niners too.

Didn't they also sign Hoyer?
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Re: RE: Re: Free Agency 

Post#178 » by Axxo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:06 pm

chitownsports4ever wrote:Matt Barkley is apparently signing with the Niners too.

FA reflection on CSN echoed your concerns on Bears not obtaining one of the top available FAs knowing that it is a thin class. Waiting for the tail end of FA this year isn't the way get the most competitive roster.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#179 » by CjayC » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:25 pm

patryk7754 wrote:
RedBulls83 wrote:If they can get Watson without having to use the 3rd pick, they damn well better do it. Even if it means moving back up into the later end of 1st round. Even if you draft a QB this year, doesn't mean you can't do it again next season too.

I think drafting Watson in the 1st or giving extra picks to trade up for him isn't worth it. I think he doesn't have the accuracy to be successful and he's to turnover prone. I'd much rather draft Davis Webb in the 3rd or 4th.

And why do you say Glennon was a reactionary move? Although I have my reservations about the signing, I don't think Pace was panicking about adding a QB. If that was the case, I think Jimmy G. would be a bear right now and the Pats would have half our picks.

Agreed. Reactionary would have been giving the Pats 2 first rounders for Garoppolo just because he looks sexier(pause) on paper. Glennon's deal is essentially a 1-year prove it deal with them supposedly still hedging their bets with a QB in the draft. If Glennon becomes the franchise or possibly even a tier 2 starter great; we can potentially have trade bait with the other QB we draft early(Or Glennon himself). If he's Osweiler 2.0 they can cut him after this year and only have to eat 5 million in dead cap. The only asset the Bears have besides having high draft picks is a load of money(Which looks like they'll have a problem spending). Glennon's deal shouldn't be a problem as it pertains to this year.

I doubt Watson will be there late 1st also. He might not even make it to us given that the QB's on San Fran's roster were our backups. After the combine I feel the perception is that he's the best QB in the draft, so if San Fran doesn't take him, some desperate team behind us might trade up.
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#180 » by patryk7754 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:51 pm

Barclay resigned so it looks like Bell is our last hope of signing a legit RT. if we don't sign him, I'll be pretty upset since RT is probably our weakest position and the weakest position in the draft.

Return to Chicago Bears