heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Mike Glennon 

Post#101 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:26 pm

Betta Bulleavit wrote:
chitownsports4ever wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:[
And what was his strategy? Overpay on two or three guys so they can't address the other 7 or 8 needs?

Sent from my SM-G920P using RealGM mobile app

How would paying Gilmore stop him from picking up any of these other guys ?

He couldve picked up Gilmore and still had space to grab everyone else hes grabbing now.

the excuse you are trying to make for him does not really apply so this situation

If he grabbed jefferson and Gilmore they are 25 years old and he fills two major holes for the next 5 years instead he has Demps and Price who both may not be here next year and we are right back in the situation again ?

Going into the draft if you take a DB in the first rd then WR and OT are very much open to you in that scenario.

but even if you believe that Glennon has upside the question comes well why didnt Pace put any money besides helping him bring that talent to fruition .

You sign a starting tackle

You sign Alshon

If you dont want Alshon fine you grab another starting quality receiver for the guy to throw the ball too. Heck GO GET Pryor but this risk adverse philosophy has backfired right now .

I see what you are saying Chitown and I don't want to dismiss your view. Having said that, "missing out" on the top guys from a weak class on day 1 doesn't equate to a failed off-season. To start, I wouldn't count us out just yet on Pryor. Obtaining him along with Wheaton could actually give us an even stronger receiving core than what we've had considering the number of games that Jeffery was bound to miss.

Secondly, there is a ton of wheeling and dealing that could happen at the draft. For example, I've got my eye really close on the Titans and seeing what they want to do at the top of the draft. If they really like someone, they may be inclined to deal 5 and 18 to us for 3 and our third rounder. Not saying it WILL happen. But there are things like that out there that could still give us an opportunity to fill actual needs without shelling out a bunch of money that we may regret later on down the road.

Exactly.

The best signings of free agency are usually on days 2, 3, 4. That's when guys just as good as players who sign contracts on day 1, sign for about half the price.

Bouye and Gilmore are better than Amukamara. Jefferson is better than Demps (although I'd argue Demps is a better fit since he's a ballhawk and a veteran when we have all young safeties who are good tacklers. Jefferson would be the same type of guy as wveryone we already have just better.) But signing Glennon to 14.5, Gilmore to 14.5, Jefferson to 9 puts you at 38 million dollars used. Then the bears only have 24 million to get starters at DE, WR, OT; and key role players QB, WR, TE, RB, OLB, KR, OT and K. They would all be bottom of the barrel guys. Instead you spread the money and wait for the right guys to come to you.

Based in what you wanted wed have 11 glaring needs and 24 million to spend.

Based on what Pace has done we have 7 needs and about 30 million to spend (WR, DE, OT, QB, RB, OT, OLB). As things stand now we will probably take a starting WR, DE or OT in round 1 and backup QB in round 2.

Pace has send he wants to build through the draft. That means he expects the best players on the roster to come through the draft, not through big contract spending in free agency.

We're right where we need to be. We just have to wait and see if we can add at least two out of our 4 biggest needs (Starting WR, OT and DE, and development QB).

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Mike Glennon 

Post#102 » by heir_jordan22 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:29 pm

Betta Bulleavit wrote:
chitownsports4ever wrote:
heir_jordan22 wrote:[
And what was his strategy? Overpay on two or three guys so they can't address the other 7 or 8 needs?

How would paying Gilmore stop him from picking up any of these other guys ?

He couldve picked up Gilmore and still had space to grab everyone else hes grabbing now.

the excuse you are trying to make for him does not really apply so this situation

If he grabbed jefferson and Gilmore they are 25 years old and he fills two major holes for the next 5 years instead he has Demps and Price who both may not be here next year and we are right back in the situation again ?

Going into the draft if you take a DB in the first rd then WR and OT are very much open to you in that scenario.

but even if you believe that Glennon has upside the question comes well why didnt Pace put any money besides helping him bring that talent to fruition .

You sign a starting tackle

You sign Alshon

If you dont want Alshon fine you grab another starting quality receiver for the guy to throw the ball too. Heck GO GET Pryor but this risk adverse philosophy has backfired right now .

I see what you are saying Chitown and I don't want to dismiss your view. Having said that, "missing out" on the top guys from a weak class on day 1 doesn't equate to a failed off-season. To start, I wouldn't count us out just yet on Pryor. Obtaining him along with Wheaton could actually give us an even stronger receiving core than what we've had considering the number of games that Jeffery was bound to miss.

Secondly, there is a ton of wheeling and dealing that could happen at the draft. For example, I've got my eye really close on the Titans and seeing what they want to do at the top of the draft. If they really like someone, they may be inclined to [bold]deal 5 and 18 to us for 3 and our third rounder[/bold]. Not saying it WILL happen. But there are things like that out there that could still give us an opportunity to fill actual needs without shelling out a bunch of money that we may regret later on down the road.

That would be amazing. I'd also take a top 10 pick plus a top 10 in the second round for #3. Probably won't happen though.

CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Re: Mike Glennon 

Post#103 » by CjayC » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:45 pm

City of Trees wrote:Every Bucs fan or even player I've heard talk about Glennon has nothing but positive things to say. All say he has potential. So, in my mind, this is no worse than signing Hoyer.

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app

Way more upside, in terms of actual upside and if they go through with the plan of drafting a rookie QB early if Glennon works out you have a nice problem on your hands. You couldn't do that if you went out and seeked the RG3's, Hoyer's, and Foles of the world to hold the QB position down until whatever rookie is ready.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#104 » by CjayC » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:47 pm

I'd be on the lookout for a trade down to a team like the Jets or Bills who don't seem to be very keen about what they have at QB. A trade down with the Jets could net us their 2nd and 3rd round pick. If we traded down to the Bills we could probably squeeze a future 1st+ more out of them.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,407

Post#105 » by transplant » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:51 pm

Just listened to Glennon's press conference. For me, it made it easier to understand why Pace chose Glennon over Cutler. Cutler had all the physical tools and was a tough guy as well, but despite the fact that I was a Cutler defender, I never got the impression that he was ever "all in" to anything. Glennon gives the impression that you're not only getting the physical package, but also his heart and soul. He's all in. Will it make a difference? I wish I knew.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,575
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#106 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:23 pm

Apparently he's great when not pressured. I think that's why we gave Dion Sims so much. It was the biggest upgrade we could make to our line without making a huge deal for a OT. The good thing about Glennon is that there is enough tape on him to know his strengths and weaknesses, which will help Pace build an offense around him. I don't think you could say the same for Osweiler.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#107 » by RedBulls23 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:04 am

mlitney01 wrote:Apparently he's great when not pressured. I think that's why we gave Dion Sims so much. It was the biggest upgrade we could make to our line without making a huge deal for a OT. The good thing about Glennon is that there is enough tape on him to know his strengths and weaknesses, which will help Pace build an offense around him. I don't think you could say the same for Osweiler.

That video with Gruden shows him being able to make passes under pressure.

Really need an upgrade at LT so you can move Leno to RT.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,206

Post#108 » by fleet » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:55 am

transplant wrote:Just listened to Glennon's press conference. For me, it made it easier to understand why Pace chose Glennon over Cutler. Cutler had all the physical tools and was a tough guy as well, but despite the fact that I was a Cutler defender, I never got the impression that he was ever "all in" to anything. Glennon gives the impression that you're not only getting the physical package, but also his heart and soul. He's all in. Will it make a difference? I wish I knew.

I like his upside as a leader FWIW
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#109 » by City of Trees » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:37 am

patryk7754
Head Coach
And1: 1,093

Post#110 » by patryk7754 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:01 pm

City of Trees wrote:Image

This man is too ugly. But im becoming more ok with this signing every day. After his contract details came out and it was compared to other QB contracts it turns out its not that bad of a deal.
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#111 » by Axxo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:46 am

He sucs....
stl705
Senior
And1: 152

Post#112 » by stl705 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:19 am

Nothing against Glennon but this is a 3-4 win team with Glennon and much better team with Trubisky. Time to throw in the kid after last nights game.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#113 » by Axxo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:57 pm

Just some basic stats. Career QB rating and total yards:

Glennon: 84.6, 4,100 yards
Hoyer: 84.8, 8,608 yards (career), 7377 yards (counting from 2013)

So question is, why pay Glennon when Hoyer would have been cheaper for 1 year and stats abit better?

Anybody have the insider info on this decision?
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,953

Post#114 » by chitownsports4ever » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Axxo wrote:Just some basic stats. Career QB rating and total yards:

So question is, why pay Glennon when Hoyer would have been cheaper for 1 year and stats abit better?

Well you know this was my argument against Glennon from day one and even moreso after drafting Mitch because you at least have someone who fully knows the system for Mitch to learn from Instead of having THREE qbs learning the system .

Hoyer started and was the qbs for receiver Kevin Whites best games before injury(also several of Meredith's best games as well) so by choosing Glennon over Hoyer you reboot your entire passing game which makes no sense considering you are not changing your OC.
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,206

Post#115 » by fleet » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:50 pm

This franchise simply does not know how to handle quarterbacks. Fox is still making mistakes, and I guess Pace, who isn't bold enough to stand by his draft. Inexplainable over decades
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#116 » by Red Larrivee » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:05 am

I agree. Also, I was surprised we didn't go after someone like Josh McCown, who would be cheaper and unphased if he's benched for a rookie.

It's a weird situation, but what's done is done. The hope right now should be that the Bears move as if there's a real competition. It looks bad on Fox and Pace to annoint this guy, and then he goes out and falls flat on his face in two preseason games. The whole thing is bogus.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#117 » by Axxo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:13 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:

I agree. Also, I was surprised we didn't go after someone like Josh McCown, who would be cheaper and unphased if he's benched for a rookie.

It's a weird situation, but what's done is done. The hope right now should be that the Bears move as if there's a real competition. It looks bad on Fox and Pace to annoint this guy, and then he goes out and falls flat on his face in two preseason games. The whole thing is bogus.

Browns are already giving Kizer the keys. He has already played with the 1's and is starting the 3rd preseason game.
patryk7754
Head Coach
And1: 1,093

Post#118 » by patryk7754 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:55 am

Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,952

Post#119 » by Chi town » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:20 am

Red Larrivee wrote:

It would have shown our hand and we wouldn't have Money Mitch right now. I also think bears thought Glennon would be much better and Money Mitch not as far a long.

I don't care about the money at all. Just play the kid. Glennon is a fail. Rinse and move on. Don't compound the failure by playing him. You could see in the last game the body language from White and Meredith that they weren't pleased they were t getting the ball on target or being completely missed.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#120 » by Axxo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:51 pm

Chi town wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

It would have shown our hand and we wouldn't have Money Mitch right now. I also think bears thought Glennon would be much better and Money Mitch not as far a long.

I don't care about the money at all. Just play the kid. Glennon is a fail. Rinse and move on. Don't compound the failure by playing him. You could see in the last game the body language from White and Meredith that they weren't pleased they were t getting the ball on target or being completely missed.

IDK Chitown, the Bears said they wanted a bridge QB while developing a rook. Granted they masked which rook they were going after, but everyone knew they wanted a 1-2 year rental to start unless that guy blew them away.

Josh or Brian could have served this purpose and been better mentors. I dont see what MT could learn from MG other than what not to do.

Return to Chicago Bears