ImageImageImageImageImage

Kristaps Porzingis says there’s confusion ‘from top to bottom’ with Knicks’ game plans

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,313

Kristaps Porzingis says there’s confusion ‘from top to bottom’ with Knicks’ game plans 

Post#1 » by duetta » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:44 am

The Knicks have operated this season under a haze of confusion, alternating between different schemes, different identities and a weak triangle.

That's according to Kristaps Porzingis, who described the confusion in his organization as all-encompassing.

"From top to bottom, everybody," he answered. "So it's hard to play like that."

Porzingis' candid comments were spoken in front of his locker following the latest Knicks' debacle, a 120-112 defeat to the Nets that underscored, yet again, Jeff Hornacek's squad is awful on defense. It probably hurts defensively that anchor Joakim Noah is out for the season, but Porzingis also pointed to the inconsistencies in the game plans.
Earlier in the season, the Knicks placed assistant Kurt Rambis in charge of the defense and stopped switching on pick and rolls. They then re-emphasized the triangle offense because, among other reasons, it put them in a better position to thwart transition baskets on the other end.

Nothing has worked. The Knicks are allowing 108.7 points per game.

"We've been switching things up. Never at any point in this season, we played like we wanted to. So it was always like, 'Maybe this will work. Maybe this will work,'" Porzingis said. "So we were kind of looking for stuff and coaches they obviously try to do the best job they can and giving us as much as they can so we have the information. But we never really got it together and were able to execute the way we should have. It's been a lot of confusion."

Porzingis, who has applauded the increased focus on the triangle, is also not impressed with the Knicks knowledge of Phil Jackson's system.

"First of all, we don't really know the triangle that well. We're really basic with what we do," he said. "So a lot of times, it's basically one-on-one. Whoever it is. Me, Carmelo, Derrick, Courtney. We just try to make something happen. And that's not how it's supposed to be. It's very random."

The good news for Knicks fans is that the team's best prospect since Patrick Ewing remains optimistic and committed to getting better. Despite the concern about how this dysfunction might cause Porzingis to stray, the NBA is set up so that teams can keep their first-round draft picks by matching any offers following their rookie contracts.

So odds are that Porzingis will remain a Knick, and he views this dreadful season as a stepping stone.

"I think this is really good experience for me, actually. It's a tough year, it's a tough everything. There's a quote, 'If the sea is smooth, you're never going to become a great sailor,'" Porzingis said, invoking Franklin D. Roosevelt. "So that's how I always take it. As a challenge."
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Re: Kristaps Porzingis says there’s confusion ‘from top to bottom’ with Knicks’ game plans 

Post#2 » by Bill Pidto » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:56 am

Gotta love KP. This speaks volumes.

Kid will be back with a vengeance next year. So long as the ball-stoppers are GONE
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Re: Kristaps Porzingis says there’s confusion ‘from top to bottom’ with Knicks’ game plans 

Post#3 » by GONYK » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:19 am

KP really showing some alpha traits by speaking up like that.

Between that and his play of late, he's looking like a guy who knows he'll be leading the pack soon.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#4 » by xNewYorkMadex » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:20 am

I was saying this the other day (in real life, not on the board)

Even though im happy with all the losing, the Knicks as a franchise need to know what the gameplan is. We essentially scrapped the triangle earlier in the season. We ran a good amount of PnR. Then after the all-star break, we once again go back to running much more triangle sets. Which is the exact same story that happened last year after the Fisher firing around the same time.

Phil goes to the players himself to teach the triangle last year (did it in practices, held a triangle seminar after the season ended) and is now doing it once again. But im willing to bet at least half of the players on the roster will be gone next yr, and we will bring in a new crop of players who are uncomfortable running the system and are slow learning it. Which we will then scrap the triangle and the cycle begins again.

And the defense has been a complete disaster from the very beginning. We didnt even bother hiring at least an assistant who knows how to run and teach defensive sets. Instead we scrambled and decided Rambis will be our defensive guru.

Our roster was flawed and inconsistent. But we still need better preparation from our coaching staff and front office. We need an identity. Teams like the Nets might absolutely suck, but they know what the deal is at game time and thats to play fast and launch up 3s. Marc Cuban couple days ago said he knows the mavs are far from a title contender, but their identity is a team who shows up every night and plays hard. And they have certainly proven that.

The Knicks need an identity. Whether its defense first, or heavy triangle, or whatever.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,555

Post#5 » by Capn'O » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:24 am

GONYK wrote:KP really showing some alpha traits by speaking up like that.

BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 16,163

Post#6 » by Im Coming Home » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:27 am

"I think this is really good experience for me, actually. It's a tough year, it's a tough everything. There's a quote, 'If the sea is smooth, you're never going to become a great sailor,'" Porzingis said, invoking Franklin D. Roosevelt. "So that's how I always take it. As a challenge."

Beautiful. This is going in my sig.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,335

Post#8 » by Phish Tank » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:47 am

KP is right

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#9 » by Sark » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:10 am

So odds are that Porzingis will remain a Knick, and he views this dreadful season as a stepping stone.

What does this mean? Who wrote this article? Does the writer not know that he still has 2 more years on his rookie contract, and even then he would be a restricted free agent?
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,787

Post#10 » by Adelheid » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:22 am

duetta wrote:
The Knicks have operated this season under a haze of confusion, alternating between different schemes, different identities and a weak triangle.

That's according to Kristaps Porzingis, who described the confusion in his organization as all-encompassing.

Porzingis' candid comments were spoken in front of his locker following the latest Knicks' debacle, a 120-112 defeat to the Nets that underscored, yet again, Jeff Hornacek's squad is awful on defense. It probably hurts defensively that anchor Joakim Noah is out for the season, but Porzingis also pointed to the inconsistencies in the game plans.
Earlier in the season, the Knicks placed assistant Kurt Rambis in charge of the defense and stopped switching on pick and rolls. They then re-emphasized the triangle offense because, among other reasons, it put them in a better position to thwart transition baskets on the other end.

"We've been switching things up. Never at any point in this season, we played like we wanted to. So it was always like, 'Maybe this will work. Maybe this will work,'" Porzingis said. "So we were kind of looking for stuff and coaches they obviously try to do the best job they can and giving us as much as they can so we have the information. But we never really got it together and were able to execute the way we should have. It's been a lot of confusion."

Porzingis, who has applauded the increased focus on the triangle, is also not impressed with the Knicks knowledge of Phil Jackson's system.

"First of all, we don't really know the triangle that well. We're really basic with what we do," he said. "So a lot of times, it's basically one-on-one. Whoever it is. Me, Carmelo, Derrick, Courtney. We just try to make something happen. And that's not how it's supposed to be. It's very random."

The good news for Knicks fans is that the team's best prospect since Patrick Ewing remains optimistic and committed to getting better. Despite the concern about how this dysfunction might cause Porzingis to stray, the NBA is set up so that teams can keep their first-round draft picks by matching any offers following their rookie contracts.

Well I'Il be damned if it isnt a shot at the coaching staff and management.
13ringsruling
Senior
And1: 264

Post#11 » by 13ringsruling » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:29 am

Adelheid wrote:
duetta wrote:

Well I'Il be damned if it isnt a shot at the coaching staff and management.

to me it sounded more like a shot at the guys who were totally resistant to the triangle (we know at least rose and jennings were, i wonder who else was. i cant imagine melo was, he thrives in it. and kp obviously loves it. i can imagine lee probably isnt too thrilled with some of the actions but meh if hornacek was more creative thered already be wrinkles in the offense for lee to get open 3s etc.)
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,556

Post#12 » by ctorres » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:31 am

The way KP mentioned Melo, Rose, and Lee by name makes me think he genuinely likes those guys and doesn't truly have a problem with them on or off the court.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#13 » by whocares1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:38 am

ctorres wrote:The way KP mentioned Melo, Rose, and Lee by nane makes me think he genuinely likes those guys and doesn't truly have a problem with them on or off the court.

I think he was referring to the players that are allowed to consistently isolate. His relationship with them wasn't his point. He's saying it doesn't matter who's isolating there's no actual gameplan to those isolations. He's calling out the coaching staff.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#14 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:18 am

The 21 year old is learning now what Dirk learned under Rick Carlisle, you earn your spot before you get called superstar.

Obviously none of these starters took seriously the off season Triangle camps Phil Jackson and Kurt Rambis held BOTH Summers....

I think a kid like KP didn't take that seriously because well, the stars you idolize as a young player paid it no mind.

Every one is learning something I learned from my first job to my current one, IF you don't work for yourself then your boss has the right to put a boot up your arse.

Again I don't blame Melo, he's kind of dense. I blame Lebron and his NBA inner circle of players that plant these seeds that they're the ones who call the shots.

I give Pat Riley mad credit for holding his ground, losing Wade and Lebron and here is the make shift team on the cusp of the playoffs.

You take money, you HAVE an employer. Only Dan Gilbert is that stupid to think he works for Lebron but then again, Cleveland is not the Mecca for America's best and brightest...just burning Jerseys.
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,714

Post#15 » by JBreezeNY » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:14 am

I like this from KP, keep it up unicorn.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#16 » by Oscirus » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:31 am

I think this is really good experience for me, actually. It's a tough year, it's a tough everything. There's a quote, 'If the sea is smooth, you're never going to become a great sailor,

That's the most impressive thing about what he said. So remarkably mature.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,197

Post#17 » by Wolfgang630 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:59 am

I think I'll call KP "KDR" from now on.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#19 » by N8isScofield » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:20 am

If you don't love KP there's something wrong with you. Seriously he's a great kid.
AndriPerdhian93
Pro Prospect
And1: 249

Post#20 » by AndriPerdhian93 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:03 pm

He was right,knick need identity
What

Return to New York Knicks