ImageImageImageImageImage

KP to workout with Dirk

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

cayuck
Junior
And1: 262

KP to workout with Dirk 

Post#1 » by cayuck » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:41 pm

http://nypost.com/2017/03/14/theres-a-silver-lining-coming-for-kristaps-porzingis/

In the darkness of this miserable Knicks season, Kristaps Porzingis at least sees some daylight at the end: summer workouts with Dirk Nowitzki, the freshly minted 30,000-point scorer.

The Porzingis-Nowitzki offseason workout plans appeared in danger on Jan. 25, when Dallas owner Mark Cuban said about their workout plans: “F—k no. You know how much money I pay Dirk? Unless [Dirk] teaches [Porzingis] how to shoot like me, then I’ll be really excited about it.’’

When asked if he was joking, the eccentric Cuban said, “Take me literally, but not seriously.’’

Porzingis, who after Sunday’s brutal loss in Brooklyn candidly stated the Knicks were in “confusion from top to bottom,” told The Post he hasn’t heard from Nowitzki recently, but assumes their plan for a summer session is on. Last summer’s workout plans with the German basketball pioneer were squashed due to scheduling reasons.

“I’m sure it will help me out and improve my game, hopefully, unless Mark Cuban says no,’’ Porzingis told The Post. “Dirk is a guy who can really help my game. Hopefully I’ll have a chance to work with him, a few days to get on the court with him and pick his brain.”

Contacted by The Post, Cuban said he won’t stand in the way of the Euro get-together.

“It was all in fun,’’ Cuban wrote in an email. “It’s up to Dirk.’’

Porzingis has unicorn skills that exceed Nowitzki’s, such as blocking shots or going coast-to-coast for a dunk. But the 7-foot-3 Latvian can only hope he one day can emulate Nowitzki’s scoring or reach the 30K benchmark.

“It’s an unbelievable achievement,’’ Porzingis said. “One of six to do that in history. It’s unbelievable – coming from Europe. What he did for all the European players who come in now. It’s unbelievable. It’s an honor to play against each other and hopefully a chance to learn from him.’’

Nowitzki also did that with just one franchise – Dallas. Could that be Porzingis, too? It’s not as clear any longer. He once had been enamored with New York’s bright lights, but his despondency has reached new levels during the Knicks’ massive collapse, cratering in Brooklyn.

“In the moment we were four games out of .500, I said it — I don’t see ourselves as that good of a team yet,’’ Porzingis said Jan. 7 in Indiana. “We were winning games, but we still had a lot to learn. It was a good moment based on our talent, but we weren’t there yet and now it’s showing. We got to figure this out and keep growing. It’s not coming together yet. It’s frustrating.’’

On Feb. 11, after a home loss to Denver, Porzingis said he wasn’t having any fun.

“I wasn’t enjoying basketball today — I wasn’t,” he said after that contest. “And I think that’s important for every time you step on the court.”

During All-Star weekend one week later, before he won the Skills Challenge, Porzingis admitted he had little on-court chemistry with Derrick Rose and that the Knicks had regressed in the triangle.

“We don’t really know it as well as we did last year,” Porzingis said. “We played it the whole time. We knew it much better than this year. For the triangle to really work, everybody needs to be on the same page.’’

The Brooklyn loss was devastating to Porzingis because he saw further regression in teamwork. According to Charley Rosen’s analysis for FanRag Sports, the Knicks didn’t run the triangle in Brooklyn as much as in previous outings, reporting the Knicks had 55 shots off 1-on-1 sequences, scoring 51 points.

“A lot of times it’s basically 1-on-1,’’ Porzingis said Sunday. “Whoever, myself, Carmelo [Anthony], Courtney [Lee], we try to make something happen and that’s not how it’s supposed to be.‘’

Porzingis then paraphrased Franklin Delano Roosevelt: “A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.”

Porzingis, who will return to Latvia after the season for a long break, hopes Nowitzki will serve to calm the stormy waters roiling within him.
Kinglee
Analyst
And1: 1,177

Re: KP to workout with Dirk 

Post#2 » by Kinglee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:48 pm

Like I said, he doesn't need Dirk. Make him work out with Yao or someone that actually believed in doing a post move besides a fadeaway. Maybe it was mostly due to height, who knows, who cares, but Yao was efficient down low. Doesn't matter if it didn't require a lot of skill and it was all height, he made it work and used his length to his advantage. I want KP doing turnaround baby hooks and turnaround dunks down low. He plays soft and shoots fadeaways against guards, I don't want Dirk teaching him anything that's going to keep KP playing the way he is or even the way Dirk played.

Dirk is an accomplished player, accomplished a lot more than Yao, but let's not forget he was viewed as a "soft international player" until he won a championship. I'm tired of seeing 7 footers that are soft. Get ya behind in the paint. Work with Yao and just because you're an international player don't mean you can't work with a Karl Malone or Tim Duncan. Put some weight on and work in the paint.

I'm not the highest on KP and one of the reasons is he because he doesn't play like his height. He dunks the ball, clearly isn't afraid of the paint, so stay in there. Be a guy that can work dos low and step outside and hit a 3 pointer like Towns has shown, with elite rim protection. Grab a rebound. It's so much more he can be then a Dirk. And it's not a knock on Dirk, just don't think Dirk is the type of players people should aim to be.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,196

Post#3 » by Wolfgang630 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:50 pm

Dang. And lol at Cuban would ever stop Dirk from doing what he wants. Dirk made the Mavs so Cuban couldn't override Dirk.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,556

Post#4 » by ctorres » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:54 pm

Is Dirk gonna charge money?
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,364

Post#5 » by Polk377 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:54 pm

Kinglee wrote:Like I said, he doesn't need Dirk. Make him work out with Yao or someone that actually believed in doing a post move besides a fadeaway. Maybe it was mostly due to height, who knows, who cares, but Yao was efficient down low. Doesn't matter if it didn't require a lot of skill and it was all height, he made it work and used his length to his advantage. I want KP doing turnaround baby hooks and turnaround dunks down low. He plays soft and shoots fadeaways against guards, I don't want Dirk teaching him anything that's going to keep KP playing the way he is or even the way Dirk played.

Dirk is an accomplished player, accomplished a lot more than Yao, but let's not forget he was viewed as a "soft international player" until he won a championship. I'm tired of seeing 7 footers that are soft. Get ya behind in the paint. Work with Yao and just because you're an international player don't mean you can't work with a Karl Malone or Tim Duncan. Put some weight on and work in the paint.

I'm not the highest on KP and one of the reasons is he because he doesn't play like his height. He dunks the ball, clearly isn't afraid of the paint, so stay in there. Be a guy that can work dos low and step outside and hit a 3 pointer like Towns has shown, with elite rim protection. Grab a rebound. It's so much more he can be then a Dirk. And it's not a knock on Dirk, just don't think Dirk is the type of players people should aim to be.

No way dude Yao played a completely different game and had the bulk to bang down low. What Dirk can help KP learn is how to get good position and how to use his length to get good clean shots. That is how Dirk reached 30k.
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#6 » by Yankeeknickfan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:55 pm

Fuq

Nothing is set in stone yet
Imageceltics
Kinglee
Analyst

Post#7 » by Kinglee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:57 pm

Polk377 wrote:
Kinglee wrote:Like I said, he doesn't need Dirk. Make him work out with Yao or someone that actually believed in doing a post move besides a fadeaway. Maybe it was mostly due to height, who knows, who cares, but Yao was efficient down low. Doesn't matter if it didn't require a lot of skill and it was all height, he made it work and used his length to his advantage. I want KP doing turnaround baby hooks and turnaround dunks down low. He plays soft and shoots fadeaways against guards, I don't want Dirk teaching him anything that's going to keep KP playing the way he is or even the way Dirk played.

No way dude Yao played a completely different game and had the bulk to bang down low. What Dirk can help KP learn is how to get good position and how to use his length to get good clean shots. That is how Dirk reached 30k.

And KP needs to put on the bulk and play center because power forward isn't for him. Him bulking up and playing center would be an advantage, not a disadvantage.
Wolfgang630
RealGM

Post#8 » by Wolfgang630 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:58 pm

Kinglee wrote:
Polk377 wrote:

And KP needs to put on the bulk and play center because power forward isn't for him. Him bulking up and playing center would be an advantage, not a disadvantage.

And Yao has a short career and Dirk didn't. He needs someone like Dirk to help him. Jeff mentioned Karl Malone to which is great.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#9 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:00 pm

It's like the post wants KP to leave...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,180

Post#10 » by DOT » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:03 pm

Kinglee wrote:
Polk377 wrote:

Kareem lasted 20 seasons at 7'2 245 lbs
KP is 7'3 240
I think he'll be fine, just needs to add 10-15 lbs
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Kinglee
Analyst

Post#11 » by Kinglee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:05 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
Polk377 wrote:

KP is 7'3 240

We're in a different league today.
Huey Freeman
General Manager
And1: 878

Post#12 » by Huey Freeman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:07 pm

This will help BUT.....KP needs to shore up some semblance of post moves and learn how to consistently punish the opposition when they put guys under 6'8 on him.
Revolution starts in the mind...
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#13 » by EchelonNYK » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:08 pm

Cool.
sushibear
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,984

Post#14 » by sushibear » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:09 pm

To workout? Sounds like a stealth recruit to me. I see what you're doing mavs.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by DOT » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:11 pm

Kinglee wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Kinglee wrote:

KP is 7'3 240

Yeah, you're right
KP doesn't have to play against Wilt Chamberlain, Nate Thurmond, Moses Malone, Willis Reed, Dave Cowens, Wes Unseld, Bob Lanier, Spencer Haywood, Darryl Dawkins, you know, bums
He has to play against all-time great Centers like DeMarcus Cousins, Steven Adams, and Hassan Whiteside
Truly we live in the golden age of big men
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Kinglee
Analyst

Post#16 » by Kinglee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:13 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Kareem lasted 20 seasons at 7'2 245 lbs
KP is 7'3 240

Yeah, you're right
KP doesn't have to play against Wilt Chamberlain, Nate Thurmond, Moses Malone, Willis Reed, Dave Cowens, Wes Unseld, Bob Lanier, Spencer Haywood, Darryl Dawkins, you know, bums
He has to play against all-time great Centers like DeMarcus Cousins, Steven Adams, and Hassan Whiteside

Him putting on weight has nothing to do with how good the players are. I don't even know why you're trying to turn this into an argument when I stated was he should put on more weight to play center. This isn't even something that's deniable, this is a widely stated opinion.

You, yourself went and stated he should put on 10-15 pounds, what exactly are you debating?
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#17 » by GONYK » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:13 pm

Dirk won a championship and shed the soft label by developing a post game...

He's got plenty to teach KP
Kinglee
Analyst

Post#18 » by Kinglee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:16 pm

GONYK wrote:

Dirk won a championship and shed the soft label by developing a post game...

He's got plenty to teach KP

Dirk had the post fadeaway jumper for years and him playing in the mid post isn't what shedded him the soft label. That's something he had always done. Perspective changes with winning and though he didn't exactly change his game from his MVP year to the year he won the championship, difference is he won a championship. He has always been known as the typical soft euro player and has always been criticized for being poor on defense and rebounding, and only known for being a good scorer, and his solid passing ability was always overlooked.

Once again, winning a championship changed his perspective. When they lost to the Heat, he was still known as soft. Be be the Heat, he wasn't known as tough, just the word soft got detached from his name.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by DOT » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Kinglee wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Kinglee wrote:

Yeah, you're right

Him putting on weight has nothing to do with how good the players are. I don't even know why you're trying to turn this into an argument when I stated was he should put on more weight to play center. This isn't even something that's deniable, this is a widely stated opinion.

You, yourself went and stated he should put on 10-15 pounds, what exactly are you debating?

Because Kareem only weighed 5 pounds more than KP and was able to take on all of those legends, and even outplay them, any of which would take the lunch money of centers today
My point was KP doesn't need to put on much more weight to be effective today
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Wolfgang630
RealGM

Post#20 » by Wolfgang630 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:18 pm

Huey Freeman wrote:This will help BUT.....KP needs to shote up some semblance of post moves and learn how to consistently punish the opposition when they put guys under 6'8 on him.

Wtf do you think Dirk was doing when a 6'8 guy was put on him in the post??

Return to New York Knicks