ImageImageImageImageImage

KP to workout with Dirk

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,994

Re: KP to workout with Dirk 

Post#41 » by GONYK » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:39 pm

kane2021 wrote:I don't know about anyone else but I feel like Rasheed Wallace is a guy that could really help kp out. As far as height, weight, inside outside. Length. Range. Defense. That's about as close to similar as I can think of. I probably shouldn't say this but the similarities between dirk and kp really aren't all that basketball related. Sorry but that's just how I feel.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Rasheed would be a really good mentor for KP. I agree.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,228

Post#42 » by DOT » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:40 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
kane2021 wrote:I don't know about anyone else but I feel like Rasheed Wallace is a guy that could really help kp out. As far as height, weight, inside outside. Length. Range. Defense. That's about as close to similar as I can think of. I probably shouldn't say this but the similarities between dirk and kp really aren't all that basketball related. Sorry but that's just how I feel.

Or KG. Yes.

I hear Kevin McHale is free
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Kinglee
Analyst
And1: 1,177

Post#43 » by Kinglee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:40 pm

You know what? That's actually a perfect perfect player to work with. Like you said, there aren't many similarities between him and Dirk, but getting a post game and working down low, Sheed can be the perfect player to work with. He already has the jump shot and protecting the paint ability, just need a downlow game.

People will probably look down upon this because Dirk is a HOF player, but people don't realize Sheed is probably the most talented, but under accomplished player we've seen. He had so much talent, but for no reason never turned into the superstar he should've become despite having the ability and toughness to become that player.
battabing10
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#44 » by battabing10 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:40 pm

yeah good call he'd be good.
NOOB77
General Manager
And1: 3,288

Post#45 » by NOOB77 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:41 pm

I would be really curious to see what position a prime Dirk would play in this modern era basketball. Would he be more of a 5 now because he was the original stretch 4 who could still guard PFs in the post. But we really don't see many post 4s anymore
Kinglee
Analyst

Post#46 » by Kinglee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:42 pm

battabing10 wrote:great idea for kp to learn from dirk. dirk won against heat cause coach told him to pass out of doubles closing in. ball never stuck to dirk in those finals when they embarrass bron and wade so bad. he didn't put up numbers but he won cause that's how you win. ADAPT. boo hoo haha the cheat. anyway the ball always move faster than feet. kp will do that guaranteed once we get rid of dummies. also dirk always shoot on balance even off wrong foot and kp don't do that every time yet. i like his timmy banker though already he just needs more arc. oje more thing we always talk about shorter dudes crowding kps legs but kp already shown he can put the ball on the floor and take one dribble and crush it like he do on dray green last week. so he have a future two ways against short guys which is dirk fade and one dribble to cup. key word ADAPT.

The Mavericks won the championship because Lebron for some random reason lost interest in the damn NBA finals. Everyone who seen that series said it at the time, don't play revisionist history and pretend Dirk had some all world performance. Wade came to play, Lebron lost interest and everyone wondered why Lebron seem to be "out of it" in the NBA finals.
battabing10
Rookie

Post#47 » by battabing10 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:42 pm

or maybe he get similar to dirk by learning his moves??
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#48 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:43 pm

Kinglee wrote:

You know what? That's actually a perfect perfect player to work with. Like you said, there aren't many similarities between him and Dirk, but getting a post game and working down low, Sheed can be the perfect player to work with. He already has the jump shot and protecting the paint ability, just need a downlow game.

People will probably look down upon this because Dirk is a HOF player, but people don't realize Sheed is probably the most talented, but under accomplished player we've seen. He had so much talent, but for no reason never turned into the superstar he should've become despite having the ability and toughness to become that player.

Sheed's a quirky guy. His personality was his strength and weakness, very similar to Oakley in that regard. He also we have to admit was a bit lazy of a player. He never cared as much about the individual honors so at times he was bored with regular season basketball. Honestly if he was still playing I don't know if I'd want KP around him cuz Sheed had some bad habits but yeah now that he's retired he would be very helpful.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#49 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:44 pm

Kinglee wrote:
battabing10 wrote:great idea for kp to learn from dirk. dirk won against heat cause coach told him to pass out of doubles closing in. ball never stuck to dirk in those finals when they embarrass bron and wade so bad. he didn't put up numbers but he won cause that's how you win. ADAPT. boo hoo haha the cheat. anyway the ball always move faster than feet. kp will do that guaranteed once we get rid of dummies. also dirk always shoot on balance even off wrong foot and kp don't do that every time yet. i like his timmy banker though already he just needs more arc. oje more thing we always talk about shorter dudes crowding kps legs but kp already shown he can put the ball on the floor and take one dribble and crush it like he do on dray green last week. so he have a future two ways against short guys which is dirk fade and one dribble to cup. key word ADAPT.

The Mavericks won the championship because Lebron for some random reason lost interest in the damn NBA finals. Everyone who seen that series said it at the time, don't play revisionist history and pretend Dirk had some all world performance. Wade came to play, Lebron lost interest and everyone wondered why Lebron seem to be "out of it" in the NBA finals.

I seem to remember Dallas just played better. Lebron also hadn't gotten over some of his "mental demons" yet at that point.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
battabing10
Rookie

Post#50 » by battabing10 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:44 pm

Kinglee wrote:

yeah i saw the series i focus on what dirk and company did which is demoralize the heat but you know what your conspiracy theory is just alright too :roll:
Kinglee
Analyst

Post#51 » by Kinglee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:44 pm

NYKfan77 wrote:I would be really curious to see what position a prime Dirk would play in this modern era basketball. Would he be more of a 5 now because he was the original stretch 4 who could still guard PFs in the post. But we really don't see many post 4s anymore

He would still be a stretch 4. He has no defensive awareness on how to protect the paint. Actually, it's a chance Dirk wouldn't even had been groomed to be a star player if he was a rookie right now, being that he doesn't have defensive awareness and he's just a jump shooting big. Not to many people would attempt to build around him. KP shot blocking ability gives fans and the front office to do things with him such as experiment with him at center and that's something we wouldn't had been able to do or even had thought of with a rookie Dirk.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by DOT » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Kinglee wrote:

Dirk averaged 27 10 and 2, what a scrub

Giving no credit to the Mavs for coming up with a defense to stop LeBron, typical LeBron hater
Kind of like how Kobe choked the 2004 finals, had nothing to do with the Pistons gameplan at all
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,994

Post#53 » by GONYK » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Kinglee wrote:

This is the definition of revisionist history
Kinglee
Analyst

Post#54 » by Kinglee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:47 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
Kinglee wrote:

I seem to remember Dallas just played better. Lebron also hadn't gotten over some of his "mental demons" yet at that point.

No doubt Dallas balled. They had to, but it was combined with Lebron lack of play in the finals. As you said "mental demons". For some reason, Lebron just wasn't right for the finals and I don't want to say he was scared of the pressure. He had memorable playoff moments before that series. But for some reason his mental demons or something appeared in that series. I remember Wade constantly being questioned back then on what was going on with Lebron.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by DOT » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:47 pm

"Dirk wouldn't have been a star today, just another jump shooting big"
"I would trade KP for the 10th pick"

At this rate, Kinglee might just pass BnO for most ridiculous poster
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Kinglee
Analyst

Post#56 » by Kinglee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:49 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Kinglee wrote:

Giving no credit to the Mavs for coming up with a defense to stop LeBron, typical LeBron hater
Kind of like how Kobe choked the 2004 finals, had nothing to do with the Pistons gameplan at all

27/10/2 is Dirk in playoff mode. I'm not doubting how he played. Dirk played like Dirk. I'm clearly stating Dirk didn't do anything unusual, he played like the star player he is. But that team wasn't more talented than the Heat and flat out wasn't better than the Heat. The Heat loss that series more than Dallas won that series and I rooted for Dalla each game during that series. Just calling it like it is.

And he's Kobe choked that series away against Detroit because he wanted to go away from Shaq who was making Ben Wallace look like a puppy.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by DOT » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:54 pm

Kinglee wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Kinglee wrote:

27/10/2 is Dirk in playoff mode. I'm not doubting how he played. Dirk played like Dirk. I'm clearly stating Dirk didn't do anything unusual, he played like the star player he is. But that team wasn't more talented than the Heat and flat out wasn't better than the Heat. The Heat loss that series more than Dallas won that series and I rooted for Dalla each game during that series. Just calling it like it is.

And he's Kobe choked that series away against Detroit because he wanted to go away from Shaq who was making Ben Wallace look like a puppy.

I mean, it's not like the Pistons intentionally left Big Ben in single coverage on Shaq so as to limit uncontested perimiter shots that come from double teams, completely not the game plan
It's not like they knew that would irritate Kobe, making him hungry to take shots, they had no idea that would happen

And according to you, Shaq's 27/11/1.6 is "making Ben Wallace look like a puppy," but Dirk's 27/10/2 is "not an all world performance"
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Kinglee
Analyst

Post#58 » by Kinglee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:54 pm

K-DOT wrote:"Dirk wouldn't have been a star today, just another jump shooting big"

Stars become stars in this league based on a few things. Talent, coaching, right opportunity. JR Smith has talent, he never had the great coaching, and was never forced into a superstar role. Kawai Leonard, no one would've thought he'd become who he is right now. Has talent, but clearly no one seen all world talent in him. However he had great coaching, and was put in the right position to succeed. Now he's a superstar. James Harden has talent, if he stayed on OKC in which he was the 6th Man Of The Year, we would've never became this MVP guy that we are seeing now because he wouldn't have given that opportunity.

So yes, it's a chance Dirk wouldn't be a superstar if he came into the league today because be probably would've never got put into that position. It's possible if Carmelo went to Detroit he would've been a champion, but probably never would've bever been the superstar scorer he is today because he wouldn't had been put in that position.

Superstars aren't superstars just because they have talent. Talent and help from the organization and coaches putting that player in the right position helps make that player a superstar.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by DOT » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:00 pm

Kinglee wrote:
K-DOT wrote:"Dirk wouldn't have been a star today, just another jump shooting big"

Stars become stars in this league based on a few things. Talent, coaching, right opportunity. JR Smith has talent, he never had the great coaching, and was never forced into a superstar role. Kawai Leonard, no one would've thought he'd become who he is right now. Has talent, but clearly no one seen all world talent in him. However he had great coaching, and was put in the right position to succeed. Now he's a superstar. James Harden has talent, if he stayed on OKC in which he was the 6th Man Of The Year, we would've never became this MVP guy that we are seeing now because he wouldn't have given that opportunity.

So yes, it's a chance Dirk wouldn't be a superstar if he came into the league today because be probably would've never got put into that position. It's possible if Carmelo went to Detroit he would've been a champion, but probably never would've bever been the superstar scorer he is today because he wouldn't had been put in that position.

Superstars aren't superstars just because they have talent. Talent and help from the organization and coaches putting that player in the right position helps make that player a superstar.

Oh, so Dirk on any other team is JR Smith?
And can I borrow your alterante dimmension machine where you can see that Harden wouldn't have ever become a superstar in OKC?
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,920

Post#60 » by Capn'O » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:05 pm

Wait, people are upset that KP might work out with Dirk???

Wallace is, in general, a guy I think would make a good coach. He made up for his own laziness with a very high level understanding of the game.

There are a couple moves that KP and Dirk should have in common. The faceup game, in particular. I suspect that's the goal of those workouts. That and he's a guy KP specifically looks up to.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:

Return to New York Knicks