ImageImageImageImageImage

KP to workout with Dirk

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,183

Re: KP to workout with Dirk 

Post#61 » by DOT » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:06 pm

Capn'O wrote:Wait, people are upset that KP might work out with Dirk???

kane2021 wrote:I don't know about anyone else but I feel like Rasheed Wallace is a guy that could really help kp out. As far as height, weight, inside outside. Length. Range. Defense. That's about as close to similar as I can think of. I probably shouldn't say this but the similarities between dirk and kp really aren't all that basketball related. Sorry but that's just how I feel.

Wallace is, in general, a guy I think would make a good coach. He made up for his own laziness with a very high level understanding of the game.

There are a couple moves that KP and Dirk should have in common. The faceup game, in particular. I suspect that's the goal of those workouts. That and he's a guy KP specifically looks up to.

No, it's just one guy that thinks he "needs to learn from someone that believes in more than just a fadeaway" or something stupid like that
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#62 » by GONYK » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:07 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Dirk averaged 27 10 and 2, what a scrub

Giving no credit to the Mavs for coming up with a defense to stop LeBron, typical LeBron hater
Kind of like how Kobe choked the 2004 finals, had nothing to do with the Pistons gameplan at all

27/10/2 is Dirk in playoff mode. I'm not doubting how he played. Dirk played like Dirk. I'm clearly stating Dirk didn't do anything unusual, he played like the star player he is. But that team wasn't more talented than the Heat and flat out wasn't better than the Heat. The Heat loss that series more than Dallas won that series and I rooted for Dalla each game during that series. Just calling it like it is.

And he's Kobe choked that series away against Detroit because he wanted to go away from Shaq who was making Ben Wallace look like a puppy.

I mean, it's not like the Pistons intentionally left Big Ben in single coverage on Shaq so as to limit uncontested perimiter shots that come from double teams, completely not the game plan
It's not like they knew that would irritate Kobe, making him hungry to take shots, they had no idea that would happen

And according to you, Shaq's 27/11/1.6 is "making Ben Wallace look like a puppy," but Dirk's 27/10/2 is "not an all world performance"

Not to mention Dirk basically hit 2 game winners that series too
Kinglee
Analyst
And1: 1,177

Post#63 » by Kinglee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:07 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
K-DOT wrote:"Dirk wouldn't have been a star today, just another jump shooting big"
"I would trade KP for the 10th pick"

At this rate, Kinglee might just pass BnO for most ridiculous poster

Stars become stars in this league based on a few things. Talent, coaching, right opportunity. JR Smith has talent, he never had the great coaching, and was never forced into a superstar role. Kawai Leonard, no one would've thought he'd become who he is right now. Has talent, but clearly no one seen all world talent in him. However he had great coaching, and was put in the right position to succeed. Now he's a superstar. James Harden has talent, if he stayed on OKC in which he was the 6th Man Of The Year, we would've never became this MVP guy that we are seeing now because he wouldn't have given that opportunity.

So yes, it's a chance Dirk wouldn't be a superstar if he came into the league today because be probably would've never got put into that position. It's possible if Carmelo went to Detroit he would've been a champion, but probably never would've bever been the superstar scorer he is today because he wouldn't had been put in that position.

Superstars aren't superstars just because they have talent. Talent and help from the organization and coaches putting that player in the right position helps make that player a superstar.

Oh, so Dirk on any other team is JR Smith?
And can I borrow your alterante dimmension machine where you can see that Harden wouldn't have ever become a superstar in OKC?

Who knows what Dirk would become? Who knows what JR Smith would become? There are all world talents like a Lebron and Shaq that is just to physically dominant to not become stars. There are all world talents like Kobe, Tmac, and JR Smith. Who all came out of high school, none were the number 1 pick, but their talent was clearly visible. Kobe was blessed to be given the chance to fail early on and was paired with a great coach and a dominant big who just left Penny Hardaway, so clearly the vision for Kobe was there. If you remember Tmac wasn't a star player on Toronto though clearly talented. Vince Carter was the star on that team and Carter and Tmac didn't become the duo they would've been had Tmac been bought to Toronto already as a star instead of being developed alongside him. Tmac went to Orlando and people were arguing he was better than Kobe Bryant. JR Smith? He never was put with the right coach as a young player or in the right situation, and now he's just a former 6th man of the year and role player, despite showing ability that had every coach and fan of the game disappointed that he isn't a star despite the talent.

Dude I understand basketball. If you can't comprehend that it takes talent and opportunity to becoming a superstar, then I can't help you. Demarcus Cousins is a great talent and an all star, but is known as a cancer because he gets emotional and his team sucks. Anthony Davis is a great talent and star, and people question how good he is because his team sucks, despite not having a good supporting cast around him AT ALL.

There's more to a player bring great then JUST THAT PLAYER. This isn't debatable, this is factual.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,553

Post#64 » by Capn'O » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:08 pm

He's facing some of the same issues Dirk did being defended by smaller players. Needs to learn to shoot over them without getting stripped. That will open up the rest of his offensive game.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by DOT » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:10 pm

Kinglee wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
Stars become stars in this league based on a few things. Talent, coaching, right opportunity. JR Smith has talent, he never had the great coaching, and was never forced into a superstar role. Kawai Leonard, no one would've thought he'd become who he is right now. Has talent, but clearly no one seen all world talent in him. However he had great coaching, and was put in the right position to succeed. Now he's a superstar. James Harden has talent, if he stayed on OKC in which he was the 6th Man Of The Year, we would've never became this MVP guy that we are seeing now because he wouldn't have given that opportunity.

So yes, it's a chance Dirk wouldn't be a superstar if he came into the league today because be probably would've never got put into that position. It's possible if Carmelo went to Detroit he would've been a champion, but probably never would've bever been the superstar scorer he is today because he wouldn't had been put in that position.

Superstars aren't superstars just because they have talent. Talent and help from the organization and coaches putting that player in the right position helps make that player a superstar.

Oh, so Dirk on any other team is JR Smith?
And can I borrow your alterante dimmension machine where you can see that Harden wouldn't have ever become a superstar in OKC?

Who knows what Dirk would become? Who knows what JR Smith would become?

Not gonna lie, stopped reading right there because you explicitly stated that you knew for a fact Harden wouldn't be a superstar in OKC
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Kinglee
Analyst

Post#66 » by Kinglee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:15 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Oh, so Dirk on any other team is JR Smith?

Not gonna lie, stopped reading right there because you explicitly stated that you knew for a fact Harden wouldn't be a superstar in OKC

You kept reading and stopped at that part because you couldn't actually debate what I stated which was all factually true.

Certain players minimalize other players. And this Knicks team is the perfect example with how this board thinks. KP is being held back by Carmelo and Rose according to this board, correct? So We want those two players gone so we can see what KP would become because the board agrees he won't become the star he could be if he stays alongside those players, right? Ok. Same can hold true for Harden. It's one basketball, it wasnt enough of an opportunity for Harden to become a superstar staying alongside Durant and Westbrook. Someone has to take the backseat. This is why Harden left. This is also why Durant left because he felt Westbrook was holding him back from a championship.

You're picking arguments with me just to argue. Have an intelligent discussion with me, disagree or agree, I can care less. But stop the nonsense. You're not getting another reply from me.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#67 » by GONYK » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:19 pm

Capn'O wrote:He's facing some of the same issues Dirk did being defended by smaller players. Needs to learn to shoot over them without getting stripped. That will open up the rest of his offensive game.

Yup. Not only that, Dirk developed this killer move as a result of people respecting his fadeaway so much. He would pivot back, and drive hard, leaving the defender frozen.

If KP developed that move, with his athleticism, it would be unstoppable.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#68 » by Marty McFly » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:30 pm

I can't believe there are actually people arguing against kp working with dirk. seriously? :lol:
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#69 » by whocares1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Marty McFly wrote:I can't believe there are actually people arguing against kp working with dirk. seriously? :lol:

It's just that one dude who's now the best troll on the boards. I applaud him and his terrible opinions.
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#70 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:52 pm

GONYK wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
battabing10 wrote:great idea for kp to learn from dirk. dirk won against heat cause coach told him to pass out of doubles closing in. ball never stuck to dirk in those finals when they embarrass bron and wade so bad. he didn't put up numbers but he won cause that's how you win. ADAPT. boo hoo haha the cheat. anyway the ball always move faster than feet. kp will do that guaranteed once we get rid of dummies. also dirk always shoot on balance even off wrong foot and kp don't do that every time yet. i like his timmy banker though already he just needs more arc. oje more thing we always talk about shorter dudes crowding kps legs but kp already shown he can put the ball on the floor and take one dribble and crush it like he do on dray green last week. so he have a future two ways against short guys which is dirk fade and one dribble to cup. key word ADAPT.

The Mavericks won the championship because Lebron for some random reason lost interest in the damn NBA finals. Everyone who seen that series said it at the time, don't play revisionist history and pretend Dirk had some all world performance. Wade came to play, Lebron lost interest and everyone wondered why Lebron seem to be "out of it" in the NBA finals.

This is the definition of revisionist history

Not really. If lebron had anything close to a Lebronlike performance miami would have won it easily.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#71 » by GONYK » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:57 pm

FirePjax wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
The Mavericks won the championship because Lebron for some random reason lost interest in the damn NBA finals. Everyone who seen that series said it at the time, don't play revisionist history and pretend Dirk had some all world performance. Wade came to play, Lebron lost interest and everyone wondered why Lebron seem to be "out of it" in the NBA finals.

Not really. If lebron had anything close to a Lebronlike performance miami would have won it easily.

That was what a Lebron like performance looked like back then. That is why he was ringless.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,400

Post#72 » by ibraheim718 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:58 pm

Kinglee wrote:
battabing10 wrote:great idea for kp to learn from dirk. dirk won against heat cause coach told him to pass out of doubles closing in. ball never stuck to dirk in those finals when they embarrass bron and wade so bad. he didn't put up numbers but he won cause that's how you win. ADAPT. boo hoo haha the cheat. anyway the ball always move faster than feet. kp will do that guaranteed once we get rid of dummies. also dirk always shoot on balance even off wrong foot and kp don't do that every time yet. i like his timmy banker though already he just needs more arc. oje more thing we always talk about shorter dudes crowding kps legs but kp already shown he can put the ball on the floor and take one dribble and crush it like he do on dray green last week. so he have a future two ways against short guys which is dirk fade and one dribble to cup. key word ADAPT.

You either didn't watch the finals or you couldn't comprehend what you were watching.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by DOT » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:04 pm

Kinglee wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Kinglee wrote:

You kept reading and stopped at that part because you couldn't actually debate what I stated which was all factually true.

Certain players minimalize other players. And this Knicks team is the perfect example with how this board thinks. KP is being held back by Carmelo and Rose according to this board, correct? So We want those two players gone so we can see what KP would become because the board agrees he won't become the star he could be if he stays alongside those players, right? Ok. Same can hold true for Harden. It's one basketball, it wasnt enough of an opportunity for Harden to become a superstar staying alongside Durant and Westbrook. Someone has to take the backseat. This is why Harden left. This is also why Durant left because he felt Westbrook was holding him back from a championship.

You're picking arguments with me just to argue. Have an intelligent discussion with me, disagree or agree, I can care less. But stop the nonsense. You're not getting another reply from me.

Says the guy that wants to trade KP for the 10th pick
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,400

Post#74 » by ibraheim718 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:05 pm

FirePjax wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Kinglee wrote:

Miami couldn't contain the Dallas penetration and they couldn't stop Dirk late in the game. They also had good smart veteran defenders (Marion, Kidd, Stevenson etc) that did a great job slowing LeBron down. And Carlisle severely out coached Spolestra.
Kinglee
Analyst

Post#75 » by Kinglee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:32 pm

GONYK wrote:
FirePjax wrote:
GONYK wrote:

That was what a Lebron like performance looked like back then. That is why he was ringless.

Lebron scored 20+ points straight to beat the Pistons. Lebron was putting up some spectacular statline like 35/10/10 against Orlando (numbers may have been better) when he lost to the Magic. Nothing about that performance was a Lebron like performance. Lebron was ringless at the moment because until then he didn't have a championship roster around him.
Kinglee
Analyst

Post#76 » by Kinglee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:36 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
FirePjax wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Miami couldn't contain the Dallas penetration and they couldn't stop Dirk late in the game. They also had good smart veteran defenders (Marion, Kidd, Stevenson etc) that did a great job slowing LeBron down. And Carlisle severely out coached Spolestra.

So how did Wade have his way if Miami couldn't penetrate? Was Wade hitting 3 pointers? Wade shot 49 free throws and had 108 shots in that series. Lebron had 92 shots and 20 free throws. Lebron was clearly out of it. Everyone who remembers that series remember everyone questioning what the hell Lebron was doing in that series. Had nothing to do with Spo getting out coached. His best player didn't attempt to win the damn game. That's what happened.

Lebron played 44 mpg and averaged 18 ppg and 7 apg. That's Lebron doing that to himself.
battabing10
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#77 » by battabing10 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:36 pm

FirePjax wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Kinglee wrote:

iirc the main thing the heat did was score in transition off steals in smothering halfcourt d. rest of their game was just ok. what dallas did was kept their turnovers pretty low and kept the ball moving. barea came up big on drives. mavs played good d too. that might have gotten in the heat heads. celtics got to lebron too.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,401

Post#78 » by BadNewsBarnes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:48 pm

ctorres wrote:Is Dirk gonna charge money?

I'm sure KP will send Dirk a Paypal to cover it....
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,556

Post#79 » by ctorres » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:52 pm

BadNewsBarnes wrote:
ctorres wrote:Is Dirk gonna charge money?

I'm sure KP will send Dirk a Paypal to cover it....

PayPal takes too long to transfer funds. KP could use the Cash app on the iPhone so Dirk can get the funds deposited into his account immediately.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#80 » by Oscirus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:58 pm

I have a feeling that Cuban' gonna low key make his way to this workout and start working on planting the dallas seed in his head.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid

Return to New York Knicks