ImageImageImageImageImage

KP to workout with Dirk

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Re: KP to workout with Dirk 

Post#81 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:00 pm

Kinglee wrote:Like I said, he doesn't need Dirk. Make him work out with Yao or someone that actually believed in doing a post move besides a fadeaway. Maybe it was mostly due to height, who knows, who cares, but Yao was efficient down low. Doesn't matter if it didn't require a lot of skill and it was all height, he made it work and used his length to his advantage. I want KP doing turnaround baby hooks and turnaround dunks down low. He plays soft and shoots fadeaways against guards, I don't want Dirk teaching him anything that's going to keep KP playing the way he is or even the way Dirk played.

Dirk is an accomplished player, accomplished a lot more than Yao, but let's not forget he was viewed as a "soft international player" until he won a championship. I'm tired of seeing 7 footers that are soft. Get ya behind in the paint. Work with Yao and just because you're an international player don't mean you can't work with a Karl Malone or Tim Duncan. Put some weight on and work in the paint.

I'm not the highest on KP and one of the reasons is he because he doesn't play like his height. He dunks the ball, clearly isn't afraid of the paint, so stay in there. Be a guy that can work dos low and step outside and hit a 3 pointer like Towns has shown, with elite rim protection. Grab a rebound. It's so much more he can be then a Dirk. And it's not a knock on Dirk, just don't think Dirk is the type of players people should aim to be.

Thats just silly. KP is averaging 18&10 and when he gets 18 shots or more he's over 50% from 2 and 40 from 2. What he needs is a good strength training program and someone who stretches his skillset, not reinvents it.

His skillset isn't the problem. The problem is one can easily get him out of his confort zone with alittle contact. You don't solve that in a summer, you just further frustrate yourself as a player, coaching staff and fanbase. Kps got skills that other bigs his height can't do. Id focus on getting him to the point where he dictates when he wants to do anything he's good at and it don't matter who's guarding him and that starts with getting stronger.

But Im not saying he shouldn't consider your plan as a longterm process. A player Id want training him is Garnett. Im more concerned with finding him a mentor who was equally lanky but played tough and fearless. Garnett also had a pretty good astray of moves from the high post, probably owed to Mchale. Time to pass on that knowledge.

But a pure back to the basket player in order to teach him to become a post player,....could've been copying Hernangomez the whole time.
cayuck
Junior
And1: 262

Post#82 » by cayuck » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:08 pm

GONYK wrote:
Capn'O wrote:He's facing some of the same issues Dirk did being defended by smaller players. Needs to learn to shoot over them without getting stripped. That will open up the rest of his offensive game.

Yup. Not only that, Dirk developed this killer move as a result of people respecting his fadeaway so much. He would pivot back, and drive hard, leaving the defender frozen.

If KP developed that move, with his athleticism, it would be unstoppable.

One of the things I remember about this series was how much Dallas truly utilized Dirk's ability to create mismatches. Miami was a good defensive squad too, but Dirk is just one of those players that its hard to decided whether to guard him with a big or a small. On that final play there Bosh looks like he is draped all over him and has more than enough quickness to stay with him, but the threat of Dirk's fade away opens up the entire lane for him. These are exactly the kinds of moves KP needs.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,556

Post#83 » by Capn'O » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:10 pm

GONYK wrote:
Capn'O wrote:He's facing some of the same issues Dirk did being defended by smaller players. Needs to learn to shoot over them without getting stripped. That will open up the rest of his offensive game.

Yup. Not only that, Dirk developed this killer move as a result of people respecting his fadeaway so much. He would pivot back, and drive hard, leaving the defender frozen.

Ok, I've gotta rip on you a little for this because if almost any big ever developed Dirk's moves it'd be unstoppable. That **** is hard!
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#84 » by Sprewell4Three » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:12 pm

We can never have a positive topic on KP these days because it turns into a back and forth discussion about his weight, size, injury etc. This kinglee dude is annoying lol
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#85 » by Yankeeknickfan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:18 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
No way dude Yao played a completely different game and had the bulk to bang down low. What Dirk can help KP learn is how to get good position and how to use his length to get good clean shots. That is how Dirk reached 30k.

And KP needs to put on the bulk and play center because power forward isn't for him. Him bulking up and playing center would be an advantage, not a disadvantage.

Kareem lasted 20 seasons at 7'2 245 lbs
KP is 7'3 240
I think he'll be fine, just needs to add 10-15 lbs

10 pounds at most imo. He can't put people on skates at 260. Remember, even with a post game, His perimeter game is what makes him a unicorn. The post game is just something else that he must have.
Imageceltics
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM

Post#86 » by Yankeeknickfan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:19 pm

Kinglee wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
And KP needs to put on the bulk and play center because power forward isn't for him. Him bulking up and playing center would be an advantage, not a disadvantage.

KP is 7'3 240

We're in a different league today.

A league with less intimidating centers?
Imageceltics
Shemy
Head Coach
And1: 460

Post#87 » by Shemy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:19 pm

Kinglee wrote:Like I said, he doesn't need Dirk. Make him work out with Yao or someone that actually believed in doing a post move besides a fadeaway. Maybe it was mostly due to height, who knows, who cares, but Yao was efficient down low. Doesn't matter if it didn't require a lot of skill and it was all height, he made it work and used his length to his advantage. I want KP doing turnaround baby hooks and turnaround dunks down low. He plays soft and shoots fadeaways against guards, I don't want Dirk teaching him anything that's going to keep KP playing the way he is or even the way Dirk played.

Dirk is an accomplished player, accomplished a lot more than Yao, but let's not forget he was viewed as a "soft international player" until he won a championship. I'm tired of seeing 7 footers that are soft. Get ya behind in the paint. Work with Yao and just because you're an international player don't mean you can't work with a Karl Malone or Tim Duncan. Put some weight on and work in the paint.

I'm not the highest on KP and one of the reasons is he because he doesn't play like his height. He dunks the ball, clearly isn't afraid of the paint, so stay in there. Be a guy that can work dos low and step outside and hit a 3 pointer like Towns has shown, with elite rim protection. Grab a rebound. It's so much more he can be then a Dirk. And it's not a knock on Dirk, just don't think Dirk is the type of players people should aim to be.

god forbid KP6 becomes a NBA MVP and a finals MVP and reaches 30k career points
"They scared now"
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM

Post#88 » by Yankeeknickfan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:19 pm

Huey Freeman wrote:This will help BUT.....KP needs to shote up some semblance of post moves and learn how to consistently punish the opposition when they put guys under 6'8 on him.

Yes, because Dirk can't do that at all
Imageceltics
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#89 » by Sprewell4Three » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:23 pm

Are we really arguing about JR freaking Smith? The guy has been in the league damn near 10+ years and has played under multiple coaches. The guy is who he is. He's a low IQ , volume shooter that didn't care alot about the game to become anything better then that. See, Dirk actually worked on his game religiously unlike JR. To say JR would be a superstar if he had better coaching is insane.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,189

Post#90 » by DOT » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:25 pm

Yankeeknickfan wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Kinglee wrote:

KP is 7'3 240

10 pounds at most imo. He can't put people on skates at 260. Remember, even with a post game, His perimeter game is what makes him a unicorn. The post game is just something else that he must have.

Yeah, I don't really see him as ever being more than 250, his main issue with strength comes from a weak core, which shouldn't add too much weight as he puts on muscle there
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,214

Post#91 » by KnicksGod » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:26 pm

Cuban trying to woo the Latvian.
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM

Post#92 » by Yankeeknickfan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:26 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Yankeeknickfan wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Kareem lasted 20 seasons at 7'2 245 lbs
KP is 7'3 240

Yeah, I don't really see him as ever being more than 250, his main issue with strength comes from a weak core, which shouldn't add too much weight as he puts on muscle there

Exactly. Any weight added has to be from muscle. Strength is more important than his weight.
Imageceltics
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Re: RE: Re: KP to workout with Dirk 

Post#93 » by GONYK » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:47 am

Capn'O wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Ok, I've gotta rip on you a little for this because if almost any big ever developed Dirk's moves it'd be unstoppable. That **** is hard!

Very true, but I think KP is one of the few bigs who even has a prayer of pulling something off like that at his size with that kind of handle.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#94 » by N8isScofield » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:47 am

The guy he should be working with is Sabonis who had all of KPs athleticism when he was young and then transitioned into being a great post player who could still make you pay from outside. If KP can learn to pass like Sabonis could he'll be lethal.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,105

Post#95 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:49 am

Kinglee wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:
Huey Freeman wrote:This will help BUT.....KP needs to shote up some semblance of post moves and learn how to consistently punish the opposition when they put guys under 6'8 on him.

Wtf do you think Dirk was doing when a 6'8 guy was put on him in the post??

Not punishing them. This is the reason Bruce Bown used to guard him.

Dirk is a great player, no one is arguing that. Just not exactly the type of player I want my franchise player to model his game after. Besides, him working with Dirk isn't exactly a bad thing. Just be uses you work with someone doesn't mean you're trying to mimic their game, so I jumped the gun by even making the comment that KP shouldn't work with Dirk. I just prefer he work with players that's going to show him how to better utilize his height.

Truth be told, who you workout with doesn't really matter. Basketball is about fundamentals. Just because you goto Lebron camp doesn't mean you're going to turn into Lebron. These players aren't exactly going to these players new things, as they have film for that. These workouts are basically a mental thing. Stars are stars because they practiced something and became really damn good at a particular thing. Carmelo isn't the first one with a jabatep, Iverson isn't the first player with a crossover, Jordan isn't the first player to have a fadeaway.

KP has similar physique with Dirk. He is already a good shooter.

Its not like we expect KP to mimic Lebron. We arent sending him to Iverson crossover camp.
Dirk is certainly a HOF player.
During his career he faced in many hard situations in NBA. He's probably the most similar player to KP.
KP can learn couple moves from him. Polishing some moves and developing some go-to moves would be great to.

B.Bowen didnt stop Dirk. He decreased his efficiency. Guarding Dirk with small players was a thing but he eventually find out how to beat that strategy. Dirk was a clutch player he scored in many hard situations. Opposing teams tried everything to stop him. He had such a great career. We can only wish KP to become a player like Nowitzki.
Trav_NYK
Pro Prospect
And1: 295

Post#96 » by Trav_NYK » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:09 am

I would love to see Porzingis work with Tim Duncan also... i think with his height that would be a nice game to steal from

But to be hinest i dont care who he is working out with i just want him to play in the post more
"This is Me7o"
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#97 » by King of Canada » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:25 am

I want to see KP get some arc in his shot first and foremost
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
AndriPerdhian93
Pro Prospect
And1: 249

Post#98 » by AndriPerdhian93 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:37 am

This scrublee need to be banned, his post are the reason why i hate this board for a few week already.
What
Fortune55
Junior
And1: 176

Post#99 » by Fortune55 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:56 am

I'm still high on KP cuz we suck, but I agree wit u 100%. It wouldn't hurt to learn a little from Dirk, but if I was him I'd be focused on doing it the same way. Use your hieght to its maximum advantage.
In the words of J.R. Smith "Get Chicks or Die Trying"
NEW YORK KNICKS

S.O.S my Knicks
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#100 » by Clyde Frazier » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:17 am

To put it nicely, if you think in any way dirk working with KP is a bad thing, you simply aren't familiar enough with dirk's career arc and player profile. Very happy to hear this, hope there aren't any hitches in them meeting up.

Return to New York Knicks