Is Durant now the Savior?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,864

Re: Is Durant now the Savior? 

Post#41 » by Tacoma » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:56 pm

I think the biggest fall is Curry. He deferred to Durant and that has adversely impacted his rhythm and his play. Green has also taken a step back. It should not have been this way.

This was Curry's team that he led to a Championship one year and 73 wins the next. Durant has never led his team to these heights. So, to me, it should've been Durant being integrated to fit the team, but instead what happened was the team integrated to fit Durant, and that's why this team is struggling now sans Durant.

The sum of the parts does not equal the whole describes today's GSWs to a tee. Adding Durant has been offset by reductions of performances of Curry and Green. In a hypothetical match of this year's Durant-led GSW team and GSW of the prior 2 years led by Curry, I think the Curry-led GSW teams win. On paper, they have better players now but they are not a better team.

So to me, Durant is more the home wrecker than savior.
Torchmode
Pro Prospect
And1: 719

Post#42 » by Torchmode » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:00 pm

Tacoma wrote:I think the biggest fall is Curry. He deferred to Durant and that has adversely impacted his rhythm and his play. Green has also taken a step back. It should not have been this way.

This was Curry's team that he led to a Championship one year and 73 wins the next. Durant has never led his team to these heights. So, to me, it should've been Durant being integrated to fit the team, but instead what happened was the team integrated to fit Durant, and that's why this team is struggling now sans Durant.

The sum of the parts does not equal the whole describes today's GSWs to a tee. Adding Durant has been offset by reductions of performances of Curry and Green. In a hypothetical match of this year's Durant-led GSW team and GSW of the prior 2 years led by Curry, I think the Curry-led GSW teams win. On paper, they have better players now but they are not a better team.

I still feel like this years team is better.

In the playoffs, if Curry and Klay arent hitting shots, they can go to KD to generate offense. Last year the splash brothers couldnt score when it mattered down the stretch. KD should help with that in a huge way if it happens again. Hes the best offensive player in the league, im confident he will be able to have his way in the playoffs.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,073

Post#43 » by Patches Perry » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:17 pm

Tacoma wrote:I think the biggest fall is Curry. He deferred to Durant and that has adversely impacted his rhythm and his play. Green has also taken a step back. It should not have been this way.

This is how I would describe it as well. I wouldn't call Durant a homewrecker, but I would say that he has become the only solution to the problem he created. Had they spent the money allocated to him on more fitting pieces, they would still be getting better mileage out of Curry and would be a better team.

The 2016 Warriors were really a well-built team to accentuate everyone's strengths. This Warriors team is more top heavy and not as balanced, so they are not getting the same mileage out of Curry and Green because Durant has assumed some of their responsibilities, and since they're so top heavy now, when one of the top guys goes down, the really suffer.
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,470

Post#44 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:22 pm

Haha We all know how Durant does in the playoffs

In fact he prolly hates having this pressure now.. He was thinking it be smooth sailing
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,276

Post#45 » by Jedi32 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:39 pm

But but but I thought the Warriors were super stacked? Smh
msr999
Sophomore
And1: 145

Post#46 » by msr999 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:41 pm

Curious, Would you say Wade shouldn't have yielded to Lebron because Wade led his team to a Championship and Lebron to none?

Yes Curry is no.2 because KD is clearly the better player. Curry is a very good PG with one historically elite skill. When those shots aren't going in you are left with a very good PG, nothing more.
msr999
Sophomore

Post#47 » by msr999 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:48 pm

Torchmode wrote:

I still feel like this years team is better.

In the playoffs, if Curry and Klay arent hitting shots, they can go to KD to generate offense. Last year the splash brothers couldnt score when it mattered down the stretch. KD should help with that in a huge way if it happens again. Hes the best offensive player in the league, im confident he will be able to have his way in the playoffs.

I completely agree. Depth is more valuable during regular season. But come playoffs they are much better.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#48 » by ALL HAIL » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:49 pm

phanman wrote:
wonkrazyz28 wrote:Hogwash.

The reason why the Warriors stink right now is because their team is gutted.You have 3 guys who are good, and the rest are bottom bench trash. It was only inevitable that this would happen. They gutted their 2nd unit in order to get Durant. Now its being exposed.

What a wild statement. Even though they lost some depth, they still did a pretty good job at replacing them. Obviously the addition of Durant would have depleted a bit, but it wasn't gutted or "trash"

Iggy =/= Iggy
Livingston =/= Livingston
McAdoo =/= McAdoo

Clark =/= Barbosa
Zaza/McGee =/= Bogut/Ezeli

Speights > West (side note: crazy how much he has fallen off since leaving Indiana)
Durant >> Barnes

Clark isn't equal to Barbosa, and Zaza/McGee are not equal to Bogut/Ezeli.

Also, what was their reasoning for letting Speights go again? It wasn't money (he signed to Clips for the minimum).
J Shuttlesworth
Rookie
And1: 1,601

Post#49 » by J Shuttlesworth » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:49 pm

Jedi32 wrote:But but but I thought the Warriors were super stacked? Smh

They have 4 all NBA players, 2 MVPs, FMVP off the bench.

Yes, they are super stacked. Don't get it twisted
msr999
Sophomore

Post#50 » by msr999 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:52 pm

wonkrazyz28 wrote:
msr999 wrote:

The reason why the Warriors stink right now is because their team is gutted. You have 3 guys who are good, and the rest are bottom bench trash. It was only inevitable that this would happen. They gutted their 2nd unit in order to get Durant. Now its being exposed.

That and Curry coming back to normal levels after the last 2 years isn't helping either.
Everybody was on Kerr's jock as the greatest new phenomenon coach in the league. I noticed now he slowly is turning into the scapegoat.

Who didn't see this happening?

Are you kidding me? They got 4 legit all stars and 2 are MVPs. Yes they lost some depth but the big reason for their troubles is the play of Curry. He is playing at an all star level instead of MVP level.

Without Durant they don't. That was my point.
That and even then, I would say Draymond is highly overrated

Ahh got it about 3 stars.
I am surprised many still think Draymond is overrated after all evidence shows otherwise (esp after last year finals)!!! I personally can't stand that guy and he is not your typical no. 5 but he is the glue that runs that team
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,073

Post#51 » by Patches Perry » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Durant should have stayed with OKC. They're probably going to win close to 50 games. Warriors are 3-5 without him, which is a 30 win pace, soooo that pretty much settles it.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Re: RE: Re: Is Durant now the Savior? 

Post#52 » by RSCD3_ » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:16 pm

IG2 wrote:From The Servant to the Savior :noway:

Kev'thulu Durmigod

Sent from my SM-T550 using RealGM mobile app
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#53 » by RSCD3_ » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:19 pm

NBAWOWY for Steph and KD

Normal 116.2 ORTG / 105.4 DRTG

Steph 121.8 ORTG / 105.3 DRTG
Without Steph 103.6 ORTG / 105.6 DRTG

Durant 121.1 ORTG / 105.8 DRTG
Without Durant 108.4 ORTG / 104.7 DRTG

Steph On KD Off 116.0 ORTG / 105.5 DRTG
KD on Steph Off 109.9 ORTG / 108.0 DRTG

With Both 124.7 ORTG / 105.5 DRTG
Without Both 100.5 ORTG / 103.3 DRTG

Sent from my SM-T550 using RealGM mobile app
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#54 » by JonFromVA » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:25 pm

Torchmode wrote:KD is probably loving the warriors right now. They cant win a game without him.

Did he go from "riding the splash bros coattails to the savior"?

They won 73 without him last year, seems like the devil is in the details...
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,285

Post#55 » by phanman » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:29 pm

ALL HAIL wrote:
phanman wrote:

The reason why the Warriors stink right now is because their team is gutted.You have 3 guys who are good, and the rest are bottom bench trash. It was only inevitable that this would happen. They gutted their 2nd unit in order to get Durant. Now its being exposed.

What a wild statement. Even though they lost some depth, they still did a pretty good job at replacing them. Obviously the addition of Durant would have depleted a bit, but it wasn't gutted or "trash"

Iggy =/= Iggy
Livingston =/= Livingston
McAdoo =/= McAdoo

Clark =/= Barbosa
Zaza/McGee =/= Bogut/Ezeli

Speights > West (side note: crazy how much he has fallen off since leaving Indiana)
Durant >> Barnes

Clark isn't equal to Barbosa, and Zaza/McGee are not equal to Bogut/Ezeli.

Also, what was their reasoning for letting Speights go again? It wasn't money (he signed to Clips for the minimum).

Clark is having himself a very good season and has filled in admirably for Barbosa's absence putting up identical #'s, but much more efficiently.

Clark - 6.6pts/1.5reb/1.1ast on 50/42/74 with a 59.4%TS and 112ORTG & 108DRTG
Barbosa - 6.4pts/1.4reb/1.2ast on 44/36/89 with a 54.5%TS and 103ORTG & 114DRTG

In regards to the Zaza/McGee vs Bogut/Ezeli debate, i'd say they made off much better considering Ezeli is out and hasn't played all season and likewise with Bogut now out for the season too. Zaza has done a great job filling in for the starting line-up and McGee is one of the feel good stories of the entire season with him bouncing back to become a servicable NBA player again.

With Speights, I believe it was because of the lack of potential playing time after they went out and got David West to fill his position. With the Clippers lacking quality bigs after BG and Jordan, there was just more opportunity in Clipper land
Flight33
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,887

Post#56 » by Flight33 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:13 pm

Warriors gave up a lot of depth to get KD. Of course they'd be losing without him.
Torchmode
Pro Prospect
And1: 719

Post#57 » by Torchmode » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:21 pm

I look at it like this.

If the warriors had brought back the same core, they would have had these 3 players available. Bogut/Ezili are out for the season, they would not be playing.

Speights
Barnes
Barbosa

Are the warriors really missing these 3 players? Barbosa and Speights are on minimum deals, and Barnes needed to go, he was useless in the playoffs, many Dubs fans did not want to resign him, even if they werent going to get KD.

I feel like David West, Matt Barnes, Durant, and Zaza will be a much better core for the PLAYOFFS. But thats just me.
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,238

Post#58 » by CS707 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:28 pm

ALL HAIL wrote:Zaza/McGee are not equal to Bogut/Ezeli.

(Bogut > Zaza) + (McGee > Ezeli) = wash.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#59 » by Scalabrine » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:36 pm

nurseryc wrote:
Torchmode wrote:KD is probably loving the warriors right now. They cant win a game without him.

Did he go from "riding the splash bros coattails to the savior"?

No. Confirms just how important Bogut and Barnes were to the Warriors in the regular season.

They essentially swapped Barnes, Bogut, Speights (who they could have resigned but chose not to), Rush, Ezeli (who hasn't played but was still important for them), and Barbosa for Durant, Zaza, McGee, West and McCaw, outside of Durant it's pretty much a downgrade across the board.

Obviously the risk any team runs when consolidating depth for a star is; if that star gets hurt you get neither, and right now that's whats happening.

It's looking like Durant will be back before the playoffs to try to get a few games to shake any rust and get his wind back, and he will certainly be well-rested, and then they will go back to being the without question number 1 team in the league.
Go Knicks!
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM
And1: 4,648

Post#60 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:36 pm

What depth exactly did they give up to get him? Ezeli is done, Bogut was already breaking down and missed games last year, including finals games, Speights is a defensive sieve, Barnes missed a huge chunk of the regular season, and Barbosa I admit was nice but cmon man he's so old. They picked up Zaza and David West and now Matt Barnes...The primary difference this year is that Steph just isn't as good and isn't putting as much pressure on opposing defenses and, overall, with KD, they have been better this year compared to last year based on net rtg but just lost a few coin toss games that they won last year. The decision was a good one and, until Steph gets back to himself, they won't be as good. KD is their best player and, frankly, I think the Warriors are lucky that they got him becasue STeph is clearly running on fumes and the same team last year would have serious difficulty this year after that Finals loss.

Return to The General Board