ImageImageImageImageImage

Should the Knicks Draft by position of need?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,604

Re: Should the Knicks Draft by position of need? 

Post#41 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:43 am

if we end up with 8th it's gonna be monk vs frank
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#42 » by malik959 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:06 am

Meat wrote:
Blockwatcher wrote:Wonder what happens if the Knicks end up with the 3rd pick , fultz and ball are off the board and the Kings offer the 7th & 8th for the 3rd , lee, Oquinn and the higher 2nd rounder

id do that, but id also **** 2 4's over a 9

:lol: Don't know about that, but I'd definitely go for that trade with Sac. in a heartbeat. :nod: Than get Monk and Bridges or Isaac and Frank
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#43 » by seren » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:14 am

Of course we should. Here is what we need: Talent.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#44 » by PeoplesChamp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:33 am

N8isScofield wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:Portland, with the #2 pick and Clyde Drexler on the roster, passed on Michael Jordan and drafted Sam Bowie instead.

Always draft the best player available. Especially when every position is a position of need.

Yeah except when they were drafted Bowie was the BPA. Nobody saw Michael Jordan becoming the GOAT and in what was at the time a big man driven league the BPA between 2 comparable college talents was the big man. In fact the Bulls front office was disappointed at the time because they wanted Bowie.

That just simply isn't true. The Blazers had Drexler, who was already an All-Star. Bowie & Jordan we're pretty close as prospects. The tie breaker was the Blazers feeling they needed to fill a need. And the Rockets were even tempted to pick Jordan, but Hakeem was a can't miss pick for them, even though they had Ralph Sampson already at C. Jordan was also National Player of The Year, so it's not like he didn't appear to be a blue chip talent.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,954

Post#45 » by Capn'O » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:39 am

If there's a guy they feel can be that much better than the other available players - say they feel Lauri can be Dirk
Spoiler:
Hi GONYK
- they need to hit the home run.

I don't see it in this draft at our position. If we win a top 3 pick it's a different ball of wax but the only boom/bust guy that clearly stands out is Frank. He could be the best player in the draft or not amount to much. Workouts and interviews should be critical to determining who among the available players to go with. Getting a sense of players' disposition could be the difference between a great player and a not so good one.

Fortunately, by this criteria BPA will likely be a guard. I don't see the forwards/bigs being that much better that you would have to take one.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#46 » by Capn'O » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:50 am

Here's an example - say the Knicks pick #7 and top 6 were (in no particular order):

JJ
Ball
Fultz
Tatum
DSJ
Fox

This leaves Monk, Bridges, Isaac, Frank, Lauri, and let's say Robert Williams.

Who's the best player among those players and how do you determine that? The guy with the best PER is actually Williams. Lauri or Monk have the best single skill (shooting). Bridges might have the best all around game. Athletic tools and potential would point to Frank or Isaac.

What is the measure for BPA and why?
BAF Clippers

vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,049

Post#47 » by vallen » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:51 am

we need everything..
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#48 » by whocares1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:59 am

Capn'O wrote:Here's an example - say the Knicks pick #7 and top 6 were (in no particular order):

JJ
Ball
Fultz
Tatum
DSJ
Fox

Who's the best player among those players and how do you determine that? The guy with the best PER is actually Williams. Other production evaluation tools would point to Lauri or Monk. Pure potential would point to Frank or Isaac.

Ouch. In that group I'd choose Isaac or Frank depending on who impressed me more during workouts. Work ethic is key.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 4,902

Post#49 » by Jeffrey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:03 am

This isn't the NFL. The NFL is probably the only draft that needs to balance BPA and position.

Go BPA, no matter the position. There is a reason why we are top 10 in the draft. We suck.
QueensG718
Pro Prospect
And1: 688

Post#50 » by QueensG718 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:05 am

monk looks like the type of explosive scorer we might need. I think he will have a better nba career then college the way the nba spaces the floor. ide be very happy with monk as our shooting goaurd of the future

Sent from my SM-G920T using RealGM mobile app
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#51 » by dakomish23 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:12 am

god shammgod wrote:for the future, the knicks need every position but center. this aint really a problem. just don't take a center.

And the excuses defending PJax will be glorious
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#52 » by dakomish23 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:16 am

Depends where we pick.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#53 » by Capn'O » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:27 am

PeoplesChamp wrote:Portland, with the #2 pick and Clyde Drexler on the roster, passed on Michael Jordan and drafted Sam Bowie instead.

Always draft the best player available. Especially when every position is a position of need.

Truth be told, they also passed on Charles Barkley. Had they picked him, it wouldn't be a story and they would've had somebody to complement Drexler.
BAF Clippers

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#54 » by Capn'O » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:30 am

3toheadmelo wrote:if we end up with 8th it's gonna be monk vs frank

I agree. And that's possible even at 7.
BAF Clippers

aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,167

Post#55 » by aq_ua » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:53 am

Capn'O wrote:Here's an example - say the Knicks pick #7 and top 6 were (in no particular order):

JJ
Ball
Fultz
Tatum
DSJ
Fox

Who's the best player among those players and how do you determine that? The guy with the best PER is actually Williams. Lauri or Monk have the best single skill (shooting). Bridges might have the best all around game. Athletic tools and potential would point to Frank or Isaac.

I think it's entirely about which player is most likely to get to time in the rotation, thus gaining experience and becoming an asset.
That player is most likely Monk or Frank, given we're so thin in the back court and heavy in the front court.

Isaac would need to keep Thomas, Kuz, O'Quinn and potentially Noah on the bench to get more than 20+ mpg.

Meanwhile, Monk and Frank would need to beat out Baker, Randle, and Vujacic. If Rose leaves, then they could potentially get a starting role. That seems like the rational thing to do.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#56 » by Coeur » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:00 am

Blockwatcher wrote:Wonder what happens if the Knicks end up with the 3rd pick , fultz and ball are off the board and the Kings offer the 7th & 8th for the 3rd , lee, Oquinn and the higher 2nd rounder

Sounds like a huge overpay for Jackson or Tatum but? I'd say add lance thomas and that would be really tough to turn down. 15-20 mill more to spend and something like markkanen and monk would be pretty huge value. (Unless the kings were right and there was a superstar there)
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#57 » by Coeur » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:10 am

Capn'O wrote:If there's a guy they feel can be that much better than the other available players - say they feel Lauri can be Dirk
Spoiler:
Hi GONYK
- they need to hit the home run.

I don't see it in this draft at our position. If we win a top 3 pick it's a different ball of wax but the only boom/bust guy that clearly stands out is Frank. He could be the best player in the draft or not amount to much. Workouts and interviews should be critical to determining who among the available players to go with. Getting a sense of players' disposition could be the difference between a great player and a not so good one.

Fortunately, by this criteria BPA will likely be a guard. I don't see the forwards/bigs being that much better that you would have to take one.

Pretty spot on. I think markkanen could easily be viewed by Phil as a teir above a Kentucky guard or frank.

This order isn't nearly as set in stone as everyone thinks right now. I think fultz is the only lock for top 2. Tatum, Jackson, Lonzo, dsj could all go anywhere from 2-6 or 7. Markkanen, fox, monk, and maybe Isaac could all go anywhere 4- late lottery

I feel the knicks will win a spot. 2&3 would be tough picks. 6-7-could be tough picks as well. Definitely have the chance to get a very good player. But also the chance to miss the best one
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#58 » by Oscirus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:22 am

Position. The Knicks need a young guard something bad. I don't want to wind up like the sixers with ten million big men and nobody to trade them to. :noway:
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,445

Post#59 » by Gravy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:39 am

The top ten look all look to have nice talent this year. It will be hard to really know who is BPA until 2-3 years from now. What if Bridges becomes better than Fox or Fox is better than J.Jackson? We did a good job picking KP and Willy so I'll ride with whoever we pick this time and hope we develop him into a good player.

Maybe Fultz and Ball are the two can't misses. Then there's the whole can they play in the triangle stuff that might influence who we take.
NYKnicks6
Senior
And1: 399

Post#60 » by NYKnicks6 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:49 am

Gravy wrote:The top ten look all look to have nice talent this year. It will be hard to really know who is BPA until 2-3 years from now. What if Bridges becomes better than Fox or Fox is better than J.Jackson? We did a good job picking KP and Willy so I'll ride with whoever we pick this time and hope we develop him into a good player.

Maybe Fultz and Ball are the two can't misses. Then there's the whole can they play in the triangle stuff that might influence who we take.

The thought of this really bothers me :-?

Return to New York Knicks