ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets PG: I don't know what I expected

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,654

Re: Nets PG: I don't know what I expected 

Post#241 » by shtolky » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:24 pm

EchelonNYK wrote:
kane2021 wrote:Not going to bother talking about fultz or ball seeing as we got no realistic shot.

Tatum and monk climbing could drop smith right in our lap if we ended up 6th.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

LaVar's big mouth might Kill Lonzo's stock. The quotes from NBA players and coaches art starting to surface.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245333/LaVar-Ball-Not-Hurting-Lonzo-Balls-Draft-Stock-With-NBA-Teams
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#242 » by EchelonNYK » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:25 pm

shtolky wrote:
EchelonNYK wrote:
kane2021 wrote:Not going to bother talking about fultz or ball seeing as we got no realistic shot.

LaVar's big mouth might Kill Lonzo's stock. The quotes from NBA players and coaches art starting to surface.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245333/LaVar-Ball-Not-Hurting-Lonzo-Balls-Draft-Stock-With-NBA-Teams

I doubt that's a universal opinion. There might be legit red flags with this kid and his family.
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#243 » by kane2021 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:26 pm

EchelonNYK wrote:

LaVar's big mouth might Kill Lonzo's stock. The quotes from NBA players and coaches are starting to surface.

I'm glad you mentioned it because I been dying to say this. I appreciate that ball has a proud father that's active in his kids lives. But dude needs to fall back a little bit. Enjoy your child's success without feeling the need to want to "photo bomb" the spotlight. He's talking way too much about stuff he shouldn't be talking about. That could cause some trouble on the pro level. We got no shot at him obviously. But dude would be an issue if he was talking so much with this media we got here.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,654

Post#244 » by shtolky » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:27 pm

EchelonNYK wrote:
shtolky wrote:
EchelonNYK wrote:

I doubt that's a universal opinion. There might be legit red flags with this kid and his family.

I highly doubt it. The NBA is a multi-billion dollar business, not some kiddie league. No way Lavar's stupid comments affect Lonzo's stock at all. If anything, the executives just laugh him off and focus on his kid and how he can help their team. It's not like Lavar is a criminal or some terror, he's just a sports parent who is trying to drum up interest in his kids and his business. He wants to get paid too.
EchelonNYK
RealGM

Post#245 » by EchelonNYK » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:28 pm

We have seen outspoken wives and girlfriends in sports before. But LaVar seems to take all of that to a new level.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#246 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:37 pm

EchelonNYK wrote:
shtolky wrote:
EchelonNYK wrote:

I'm telling you people are not used to a strong black man talking like this. People act like lavar is out there on the court shooting jumpshots. Lonzo is the one that has to make ish happen on that court not Lavar. If you don't like what Lavar is saying stop putting a mic infront of him. The guy supposedly has been talking this way all his life. His sons are used to this. It's just people in the media that are the problem.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager

Post#247 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:39 pm

EchelonNYK wrote:We have seen outspoken wives and girlfriends in sports before. But LaVar seems to take all of that to a new level.

If you listen to his recent interviews. He's trying to get a billionaire deal for the ball family. Some of the stuff he's been saying is crazy but people are talking about him. He's increasing the profile of His boys. Now only thing they have to do is prove it on court. A billionaire deal is not a long shot if Lamelo and lonzo become great players
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#248 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:40 pm

KnicksGod wrote:Duke or whatever school isn't a puppy mill lol. These are all individual human beings with different parents and backgrounds. I don't really buy it. Duke may teach these guys XYZ but it's for what, 1 single year of their playing lives and their lives in general?

For whatever reason, they do seem to have a kind of boring and unspectacular player. Eh. That's just one factor. We could use a guy who can get 18-22 PPG for sure. Duncan was boring as hell too.

Duke wouldn't stop me from taking Tatum.

Yeah, pretty much. In the modern era, for the top players college is mostly just a year-long scouting combine, and the school they attend doesn't have a major impact on their development.

Duke does seem to recruit certain types of players, so there may be some type of consistent theme, but they also have the second most active NBA players, so they are clearly doing something right.

Duke shouldn't be a deterrent any more than any other school. Vince Carter is the last true star to come from UNC, nearly 20 years ago, and no one really talks about being weary of a guy because he played there.
EchelonNYK
RealGM

Post#249 » by EchelonNYK » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:40 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:
EchelonNYK wrote:

I'm telling you people are not used to a strong black man talking like this. People act like lavar is out there on the court shooting jumpshots. Lonzo is the one that has to make ish happen on that court not Lavar. If you don't like what Lavar is saying stop putting a mic infront of him. The guy supposedly has been talking this way all his life. His sons are used to this. It's just people in the media that are the problem.

There's a difference between confidence and being a big mouth idiot who doesn't think before speaking. LaVar has zero humility.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager

Post#250 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:43 pm

EchelonNYK wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:
EchelonNYK wrote:

There's a difference between confidence and being a big mouth idiot who doesn't think before speaking. LaVar has zero humility.

Having zero humility has helped them get this far. Why stop now?
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#251 » by whocares1 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:52 pm

I disagree about tying Jayson Tatum to the Duke program and their lack of "perennial superstar alum". Jayson Tatum looks like a star plain and simple.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 37,856

Post#252 » by KnicksGod » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:52 pm

Still think size matters so Tatum goes 4 is what I will predict. I'll say it goes Fultz, Jackson, Ball, Tatum, DSJ.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager

Post#253 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:54 pm

The Lakers are not passing up on Ball if they get a top 2 or 3 pick. I wouldn't be surprised if they take him over Fultz.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 37,856

Post#254 » by KnicksGod » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:The Lakers are not passing up on Ball if they get a top 2 or 3 pick. I wouldn't be surprised if they take him over Fultz.

You could be right on that. But it's not at all easy to predict where they'll be. Still a significant chance they have to cough up the pick.

Not at you but just in general, I find it really interesting how people read odds. If you have a 56% chance of keeping your pick, then you're going to keep your pick. Whut. Would you be confident in a 56% free throw shooter taking a free throw to win a game?

Also people look to the past to try to figure it out -- how many teams dropped, or moved up, etc. Odds have nothing to do with the past.

People are trying to simplify it and come up with some certainties. Also when we move up a spot or two, it is exciting because we're fans. But the odds aren't changing much folks. 10-15% with each spot up. Significant but not a sea change at all.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,351

Post#255 » by F N 11 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:59 pm

EchelonNYK wrote:
Read on Twitter

Old man defense.

Yo he did him dirty
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
sushibear
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,984

Post#256 » by sushibear » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:45 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:The Lakers are not passing up on Ball if they get a top 2 or 3 pick. I wouldn't be surprised if they take him over Fultz.

It makes no sense if lakers draft a point gaurd. They have a pg prospect in russel. Same goes to Boston and philly. Teams dont just pick out of the blue like that. I say if boston or lakers gets 1 or 2 they are going to avoid a point gaurd esp with a deep draft class. We are going to get a legit pg no matter what.
sushibear
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,984

Post#257 » by sushibear » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:54 pm

EchelonNYK wrote:
Read on Twitter

Old man defense.

This is what I don't like about melo. He's supposedly the best player on the team yet his defense is laughable to the point where it's just sad. And his offense is so inconsistent this year yet people still defend him as if he was still in his denver years. Dude is done and should not be the staple of the team. Dude is lee nailon now. A corvette with an old buick engine
EchelonNYK
RealGM

Post#258 » by EchelonNYK » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:17 pm

sushibear wrote:
EchelonNYK wrote:
Read on Twitter

Old man defense.

This is what I don't like about melo. He's supposedly the best player on the team yet his defense is laughable to the point where it's just sad. And his offense is so inconsistent this year yet people still defend him as if he was still in his denver years. Dude is done and should not be the staple of the team. Dude is lee nailon now. A corvette with an old buick engine

Yeah man, this team isn't going anywhere if he's our best player.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager

Post#259 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:18 pm

sushibear wrote:

It makes no sense if lakers draft a point gaurd. They have a pg prospect in russel. Same goes to Boston and philly. Teams dont just pick out of the blue like that. I say if boston or lakers gets 1 or 2 they are going to avoid a point gaurd esp with a deep draft class. We are going to get a legit pg no matter what.

I've seen enough of Russell and he's a combo guard. Doesn't make anybody better. Takes bad shots and turns the ball over. He would be best served being a 2 guard. Lonzo is a pure pg in the sense he pass first , shoot 2nd.
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#260 » by kane2021 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:22 pm

If you genuinely feel Jackson is a better prospect than ball then that's one thing. But I'm not passing up on a prospect like ball because I have Russell. Russell just hasn't looked like that type of player.

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.

Return to New York Knicks