ImageImageImageImageImage

Should the Knicks Draft by position of need?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,671

Re: Should the Knicks Draft by position of need? 

Post#81 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:49 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:if we end up with 8th it's gonna be monk vs frank

if philly ends up with their pick and the lakers', monk won't be there. depending on where philly picks themselves they might go with monk.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#82 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:52 pm

Capn'O wrote:If there's a guy they feel can be that much better than the other available players - say they feel Lauri can be Dirk
Spoiler:
Hi GONYK
- they need to hit the home run.

I don't see it in this draft at our position. If we win a top 3 pick it's a different ball of wax but the only boom/bust guy that clearly stands out is Frank. He could be the best player in the draft or not amount to much. Workouts and interviews should be critical to determining who among the available players to go with. Getting a sense of players' disposition could be the difference between a great player and a not so good one.

Fortunately, by this criteria BPA will likely be a guard. I don't see the forwards/bigs being that much better that you would have to take one.

BPA is super relative. our thoughts vary here. the sites will vary. and who knows what the front offices are thinking.

philosophically, eschewing BPA for need is usually a bad idea. only elite teams can afford to even consider it.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#83 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:54 pm

NYKnicks6 wrote:
Gravy wrote:The top ten look all look to have nice talent this year. It will be hard to really know who is BPA until 2-3 years from now. What if Bridges becomes better than Fox or Fox is better than J.Jackson? We did a good job picking KP and Willy so I'll ride with whoever we pick this time and hope we develop him into a good player.

Maybe Fultz and Ball are the two can't misses. Then there's the whole can they play in the triangle stuff that might influence who we take.

The thought of this really bothers me :-?

we don't really have any evidence of this having happened. KP isn't a triangle prototype player.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,602

Post#84 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:00 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:

if philly ends up with their pick and the lakers', monk won't be there. depending on where philly picks themselves they might go with monk.

if that's the case then hopefully dennis smith falls to us
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#85 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:21 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

if that's the case then hopefully dennis smith falls to us

i think it's very possible DSJ is on the board at 6 or 7.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#86 » by BeagleBoss » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:40 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
BeagleBoss wrote:BPA, which shouldn't be too difficult. We're kind of fortunate there aren't a lot of tempting bigs in the top 8.

not where we pick... but i kinda like bam. he looks like he will be good.

At 6-8 range, only Laurie Markkanen is a true big. Isaac and Miles are more of 3s. I like Bam too but not with a top 8 pick.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#87 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:49 pm

BeagleBoss wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
BeagleBoss wrote:BPA, which shouldn't be too difficult. We're kind of fortunate there aren't a lot of tempting bigs in the top 8.

not where we pick... but i kinda like bam. he looks like he will be good.

At 6-8 range, only Laurie Markkanen is a true big. Isaac and Miles are more of 3s. I like Bam too but not with a top 8 pick.

agreed.

that said, i would not be shocked if when all was said and done he had a top 8 career of all players drafted.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#88 » by malik959 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:57 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:The Knicks have a need at EVERY position so they should definitely draft the best player available.

Ok name a player in this draft that can take the center spot from Willy, than tell me who could take the PF spot from KP. Heck there's nobody in the FA that can take those positions. So it would be best to get some one to fit 1-3
camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#89 » by camillepd » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:11 pm

Phil loves bigs and I expect him to use a 2nd rounder on a Center, Look out for the Knicks to draft Anzejs Pasecniks out of Latvia.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,306

Post#90 » by DrCoach » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:18 pm

malik959 wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:The Knicks have a need at EVERY position so they should definitely draft the best player available.

Ok name a player in this draft that can take the center spot from Willy, than tell me who could take the PF spot from KP. Heck there's nobody in the FA that can take those positions. So it would be best to get some one to fit 1-3

What a stupid comment

During the Draft nobody knew if KP or Willy would be good, now all of a sudden , nobody in this draft can be better than them?
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#91 » by malik959 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:58 pm

DrCoach wrote:
malik959 wrote:

What a stupid comment

During the Draft nobody knew if KP or Willy would be good, now all of a sudden , nobody in this draft can be better than them?

How is it a dumb question? Can you tell me a better Center or PF coming out in this draft. Your saying that we have a need at every position right, who can feel a need at the 4 or 5. To me it would be idiotic to grab a player in this draft to play Center or PF and if a player like Giles, Leaf, Collins, or Adebayo were picked (even if we traded down) NY would no longer have Knicks fans because they are not needed and Don't seem to be better than what we currently have, so yeah we don't have a need at every position. Picking any of these players would be like Philly picking Okafor, Embred, and Noel knowing we need a guard or a SF.
melo mvp 15
Assistant Coach
And1: 393

Post#92 » by melo mvp 15 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:46 am

I used to always be an advocate for drafting best player available, although I don't think the Knicks can afford to draft another big unless they absolutely fall in love with someone or someone falls in the draft and we KNOW we can get good value for him. So I'd say the Knicks should be focused on a wing or PG. Even though we need a PG a lot more, we should take the wing if he's clearly the better prospect.

The Sixers have really scared me off from being committed to doing BPA. I used to believe you go BPA all the time if you're in the top of the lottery because odds are you need as much high-quality talent as you can get. However, the way the Sixers DESTROYED the value of Okafor and Noel because of how many bigs they drafted really diluted those picks. They sold dangerously low on Noel and destroyed Okafor value before that.

The reason I don't want NY to draft another big is because KP deserves 35 mpg next year and hopefully Willy can prove himself to maintain the starting spot. Then behind them we have Noah, O'Quinn, Lance, and Melo (at the 4)- I don't want us to draft someone that won't play. I'm a firm believer that sitting on the bench for most of your rookie year is terrible for development.

I think this a discussion that should be held off until after the lottery because this conversation is very different if we're picking at #10 instead of #4.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#93 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:42 am

moocow007 wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:I think theres not a player in the top ten of draft express I wouldn't take. And Im not saying they're the best site but just as a point of reference. Now I might have different rankings but for a team like ours who needs everything and should assume that Anthony could waive his clause, we should go with BPA. In terms of need the only guy who Id question is Markennan but I could still dig it if we drafted him. Most of us can agree that without more strength KP is never gonna hit the next level, at that point he might be a C. Markannen would play PF. But thats why Im saying thats my worst case scenario. Probably not the best fit but still two pretty solid lotto bigs on the same team. But theres guys everywhere Id take.

Markkanen doesn't have the athleticism or footspeed to play PF in the NBA.

I think people overrate the necessity to be basically a SF at Pf in today's nba. You got guards who can penetrate and set the table and a system like the triangle that want playmaking at every position and Markanen should be fine. I can't see how he'd be any worse than Love in his role now on Cleveland.

But still he's my worst case scenario. I prefer guys like you describe myself. At PF id prefer a guy like Robert Williams but Im just saying I disagree that Markanen couldn't play pf in the nba.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#94 » by N8isScofield » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:48 am

PeoplesChamp wrote:
N8isScofield wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:Portland, with the #2 pick and Clyde Drexler on the roster, passed on Michael Jordan and drafted Sam Bowie instead.

Always draft the best player available. Especially when every position is a position of need.

Yeah except when they were drafted Bowie was the BPA. Nobody saw Michael Jordan becoming the GOAT and in what was at the time a big man driven league the BPA between 2 comparable college talents was the big man. In fact the Bulls front office was disappointed at the time because they wanted Bowie.

That just simply isn't true. The Blazers had Drexler, who was already an All-Star. Bowie & Jordan we're pretty close as prospects. The tie breaker was the Blazers feeling they needed to fill a need. And the Rockets were even tempted to pick Jordan, but Hakeem was a can't miss pick for them, even though they had Ralph Sampson already at C. Jordan was also National Player of The Year, so it's not like he didn't appear to be a blue chip talent.

Buddy Hield is the current national player of the year and it is an award that has been won by such esteemed names as Jameer Nelson, Danny Ferry, TJ Ford, Jimmer Fredette, etc. so let's not act like it's any evidence of you being a blue chip prospect. Jordan of course actually was and I understand given that we have the benefit of hindsight it's tough to imagine that Bowie was the better prospect but he just simply was. It's not like it isn't something that has been debated repeatedly over the years. The overwhelming majority of GMs viewed Bowie as the better player because the golden rule of drafting in basketball is that you can't teach size. It's why Portland took Oden and not Durant. It's why Detroit took Darko and not Melo. In NBA circles if the talent is close the BPA is the bigger guy.
Knicklyn718
Sophomore
And1: 115

Post#95 » by Knicklyn718 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:25 am

Whoever performs well for them during workouts will be selected. I'm not impressed by Dennis or Monk

Fultz
Lonzo
Josh
Tatum
Fox
Ntilikina
ImageImage
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,758

Post#96 » by spree2kawhi » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:00 pm

Best player available, no ****.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#97 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:34 pm

malik959 wrote:

Any player who can post up and play interior defense can take Center from Hercule Hernangomez.

Any player who can rebound 10 per game can take PF from KP.

Essentially there are holes to the game that a healthy unproven kid can demonstrate.
sims
Bench Warmer
And1: 442

Post#98 » by sims » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:54 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:

am i the only one who thinks that monk is basically a rich man's chasson randle?
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#99 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:26 pm

sims wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

am i the only one who thinks that monk is basically a rich man's chasson randle?

probably. but i don't want him either. too one-dimensional of a player for my liking.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#100 » by whocares1 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:34 pm

sims wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

You're disrespecting Monk with that comparison. He's probably a rich man's J.R Smith.

Return to New York Knicks