ImageImageImageImageImage

How Long Do We Give Hornacek?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Anotha Knicks fan
Head Coach
And1: 1,333

Re: How Long Do We Give Hornacek? 

Post#61 » by Anotha Knicks fan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:52 pm

All I'm going to say is easy to **** on a guy when the team he's coaching is **** the bed. As others have said, he was given a shamshod mix of parts to coach, and the situation was less than primal for any foundation of sort.

Too quick to start discarding coaches. Give him a little more time with something resembling a little more of a team.

Although, there needs to be a dramatic uptick in either wins, or player's cohesiveness.
Join me in welcoming in the new Era of our basketball team:

The New York Mediocrebockers!
NYKnicksTAPE
RealGM
And1: 13,426

Post#62 » by NYKnicksTAPE » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:58 pm

Phil does NOT get to pick another head coach. How many coaches is Dolan gonna be paying at once? Who is gonna want to come here if Hornacek gets fired by Phil so quickly? Nobody. If Hornacek is gone, then prepare yourself for a Kurt Rambis promotion.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#63 » by Greenie » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:07 pm

malik959 wrote:
Greenie wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Was offense the problem this season?

Yes.
All we really ran were P&R and Iso.
When Lance snd Kyle are in Iso sets I have a problem.

When they Iso the team just sits around waiting and the movement becomes very stagnant. Than they feel that hero ball has to happen, and they can never hold a lead because they're so inconsistant . But the major problem is defense because they're lazy, unmotivated, or saving themselves for offense.

I don't like any of it.
Our defense is next level garbage and our offense is trash too. I thought Jeffe had this large playbook. His **** is a page long.
Anotha Knicks fan
Head Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#64 » by Anotha Knicks fan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:55 pm

All I'm going to say is easy to **** on a guy when the team he's coaching is **** the bed. As others have said, he was given a shamshod mix of parts to coach, and the situation was less than primal for any foundation of sort.

Too quick to start discarding coaches. Give him a little more time with something resembling a little more of a team.

Although, there needs to be a dramatic uptick in either wins, or player's cohesiveness.
Join me in welcoming in the new Era of our basketball team:

The New York Mediocrebockers!
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,273

Post#65 » by DOT » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:02 am

Greenie wrote:
malik959 wrote:
Greenie wrote:Yes.
All we really ran were P&R and Iso.
When Lance snd Kyle are in Iso sets I have a problem.

When they Iso the team just sits around waiting and the movement becomes very stagnant. Than they feel that hero ball has to happen, and they can never hold a lead because they're so inconsistant . But the major problem is defense because they're lazy, unmotivated, or saving themselves for offense.

I don't like any of it.
Our defense is next level garbage and our offense is trash too. I thought Jeffe had this large playbook. His **** is a page long.

Holy hyperbole Batman
Didn't realize that 16th in offensive efficiency was "trash"

What I want to know is how much of our woes on offense are due to Jeff's system vs players just not doing what he says.
I think a lot of it has to do with Rose not being nearly the facilitator Bledsoe is, and Lee is nowhere close to Dragic
I think Phil went with the old "get as much talent as you can and let the coach figure out how to put it all together" cause that's how it was back in the day, but Jeff is nowhere near the coach Phil was, and needs players to fit his system.
Maybe he gets better as a coach and learns to adapt his system to different players, maybe he doesn't (a la D'antoni), but it's clear we need a defensive coordinator not named Kurt Rambis, then we can worry about our offense
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#66 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:09 am

The question here is, can the triangle be successful?
Greenie
RealGM

Post#67 » by Greenie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:31 am

K-DOT wrote:
Greenie wrote:
malik959 wrote:

I don't like any of it.

Holy hyperbole Batman
Didn't realize that 16th in offensive efficiency was "trash"

What I want to know is how much of our woes on offense are due to Jeff's system vs players just not doing what he says.
I think a lot of it has to do with Rose not being nearly the facilitator Bledsoe is, and Lee is nowhere close to Dragic
I think Phil went with the old "get as much talent as you can and let the coach figure out how to put it all together" cause that's how it was back in the day, but Jeff is nowhere near the coach Phil was, and needs players to fit his system.
Maybe he gets better as a coach and learns to adapt his system to different players, maybe he doesn't (a la D'antoni), but it's clear we need a defensive coordinator not named Kurt Rambis, then we can worry about our offense

16th when you have Melo, Rose and KP is trash. Our best players are very good offensive players. Not average. Theoretically they should be much better than what Jeff has pulled out of them. The lack of plays is alarming. Melo and KP don't strike me as too stupid to pick up his offense when they both play just fine in the damn triangle. Lets be real,

Jeff couldn't/can't fuse the triangle with what he was running in PHX(that was the plan) and thus our offense was dumbed-down. That was mistake number one. I could care less if a damn role player picks up the offense. Role players can be moved easily. I care about what our best thrive in. Dad Melo and KP was a thing of beauty last year in the triangle and we should have simply built around that. Both PG's brought in was a mistake. Baker fits better... :lol:

If you really sit back and look at it most of our players fit the triangle. We should go back to that and call it a day. Phil should really just go get a defensive coach that needs a offensive scheme and is willing to learn and teach the triangle himself.

Dolan shouldn't care if Phil has full control and immunity...
Greenie
RealGM

Post#68 » by Greenie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:33 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:The question here is, can the triangle be successful?

With players iike KP and Melo playing in it? Yes.
KP is a different offensive player in it. He looked like a jackass half the time in whatever Jeff was running.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#69 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:23 am

Greenie wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:The question here is, can the triangle be successful?

With players iike KP and Melo playing in it? Yes.
KP is a different offensive player in it. He looked like a jackass half the time in whatever Jeff was running.

I don't know if I am convinced of that. The last couple seasons are indicative of that.

If Melo was "ok" with playing in the triangle, I do not believe Hornacek would have been hired and allowed with incorporating plays the players perferred during the first half of the season. Phil would never have gone with a coach who is not a disciple of his system nor played under him.

As for KP, I'm not entirely convinced of either. I think, KP is a young player and maybe malleable while Melo is at that age, where he knows who he is and what he can/can't do.

Basically, Noah was the key to the triangle with this team. No one could have predicted his lateral movement was so atrocious that within 20 games into the season, every one was wondering if he's last.

Now, I'm wondering. How many pieces do the Knicks need to make this system work?

Point guard. Center or power forward? Small Forward? shooting guard? I think the Knicks definitely need at least 2 defensive pieces in order to become a contender.

It's not going to happen via free agency: 1. Free agents asking too much. 2. They don't like the triangle. 3. Don't like front office.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,357

Post#70 » by NoStatsGuy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:16 am

poor knicks coaches, have to work with this gabage. kerr and all the other coaches who decided to not come here were pretty smart.

woody was the best one we had in a long time and im not even talking basketball. he enabled the mentality together with the vets kidd, kurt, sheed, etc.

its chemistry over everything. except u have lebron. but all the other successful teams had great chemistry. and thats underestimated by so many people
im bout dat action boss

Return to New York Knicks