ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: NYU Sports

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

OT: NYU Sports 

Post#1 » by NYKHardKnock » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:22 am

Just a question because I'm aware of the excellence in terms of academics, but why when it comes to sports they're division III? They could easily attract the nations best athletes especially in bball. Why? Always wondered why NYC college sport team never had a team competing in the best competition
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Re: OT: NYU Sports 

Post#2 » by Phish Tank » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:41 am

Few reasons:

1). They're better off spending endowment money (i.e. money provided to them by wealthy alums) on scholarships toward academics instead of athletics since that's their competitive advantage

2). Part of becoming division 1 is playing in your own arena, I think, that holds a certain amount of people . They're not going to build a stadium in manhattan for NYU.

3). Why bother? The college basketball powerhouses are already way too huge that there's no chance to even catch up to them

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,065

Post#3 » by Jeffrey » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:14 am

Phish Tank wrote:Few reasons:

1). They're better off spending endowment money (i.e. money provided to them by wealthy alums) on scholarships toward academics instead of athletics since that's their competitive advantage

2). Part of becoming division 1 is playing in your own arena, I think, that holds a certain amount of people . They're not going to build a stadium in manhattan for NYU.

3). Why bother? The college basketball powerhouses are already way too huge that there's no chance to even catch up to them

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

This is somewhat not true. CCNY was a powerhouse Division 1 school until the 1951 point shaving scandal. When the point shaving scandal happened, a lot of NYC schools didn't want to go near Division 1 competition.

At this point, it's too late. Kids would rather be on campus or programs that has 100 million dollar facilities.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#4 » by Greenie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:39 am

NYU is academic. The end.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#5 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:59 am

Division One: Lining outside of Supreme and other trendy sneaker or fashion shops.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#6 » by DrCoach » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:17 am

I don't understand all this "Academic" stuff.

All the Ivy Leagues are D1

Hell, Northwestern is D1

LIU Brooklyn and St. Francis BK are D1.

No reason why NYU can't be D1, in fact, it hurts their legacy because they are not
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#7 » by Greenie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:48 am

DrCoach wrote:I don't understand all this "Academic" stuff.

Hell, Northwestern is D1

No reason why NYU can't be D1, in fact, it hurts their legacy because they are not

NYU's legacy is in no way, shape or form being hurt. It's NYU...
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#8 » by br7knicks » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:54 pm

Hell, Northwestern is D1

when people think of NYU, at NO point do they wonder about their sports, sans the OP and you. when anyone thinks of NYU, they assume they're talking about academics, and think highly of it.

my cousin's grandfather is a professor there. i can't stand him (or his son, my cousin's father), but he's an incredibly intelligent man. trust me, their legacy will be just fine without going to DI or DII

edit: sorry. he stopped teaching there in 2008.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#9 » by Phish Tank » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:24 pm

Per the NCAA website, a Division 1 program must meet the following requirements:

1) sponsor at least seven sports for men and seven for women (or six for men and eight for women) with two team sports for each gender. Each playing season has to be represented by each gender as well.

2) For sports other than football and basketball, Division I schools must play 100 percent of the minimum number of contests against Division I opponents -- anything over the minimum number of games has to be 50 percent Division I. Men's and women's basketball teams have to play all but two games against Division I teams; for men, they must play one-third of all their contests in the home arena.

3) Schools that have football are classified as Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) or NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA). Football Bowl Subdivision schools are usually fairly elaborate programs. Football Bowl Subdivision teams have to meet minimum attendance requirements (average 15,000 people in actual or paid attendance per home game), which must be met once in a rolling two-year period.

4) NCAA Football Championship Subdivision teams do not need to meet minimum attendance requirements.

5) Division I schools must meet minimum financial aid awards for their athletics program, and there are maximum financial aid awards for each sport that a Division I school cannot exceed.

I don't think NYU would qualify for some of these requirements.
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#10 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:00 pm

Hell, Northwestern is D1

It doesn't hurt the school's legacy, maybe its lure, but focusing on academics and being an athletic powerhouse aren't mutually eclusive.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#11 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:54 pm

I believe nyu, city College, and a few other cunys were very competitive in bball eons ago before a gambling scandal changed the landscape.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#12 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:58 pm

Also btw St johns was a powerhouse in the 80s up into the 90s. They are trying to get there again currently.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
twosevenstreet
Senior
And1: 168

Post#13 » by twosevenstreet » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:59 pm

There have been rumors that NYU is looking to buy / merge with LIU

They want Liu pharmacy program

Sent from my LG-H811 using RealGM mobile app
Spread Em and Dead em.
-Sad DLO is gone
-Allen will become LobCity DJ
-Kyrie will be top 3 for MVP if we get to 50+ wins, he will average 27ppg, 7apg, shooting 50-40-90
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Jeffrey » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:00 pm

On top of meeting the criteria of a D1 school, the current board will not put a single dollar in D1. Students will also fight against it.

Unless a Saudi Prince that wants to drop a nice donation for only athletics then I don't see how that will be possible.
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Jeffrey » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:02 pm

twosevenstreet wrote:There have been rumors that NYU is looking to buy / merge with LIU

They want Liu pharmacy program

Sent from my LG-H811 using RealGM mobile app

And that could happen. I'm not sure if they merged with Polytechnic to boost up their meager engineering program
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#16 » by magnumt » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:25 pm

St Johns and Cornell have been the only real NYC ones focusing on this. On NY as a WHOLE, there's obviously Syracuse. :D

--Mags
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#17 » by DrCoach » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:08 am

FirePjax wrote:

Hell, Northwestern is D1

It doesn't hurt the school's legacy, maybe its lure, but focusing on academics and being an athletic powerhouse aren't mutually eclusive.

I disagree, a huge part of a school and alumnis legacy is sports. how many schools that are ranked top in the US don't have a D1 sports program? MIT??
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#18 » by DrCoach » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:10 am

magnumt wrote:St Johns and Cornell have been the only real NYC ones focusing on this. On NY as a WHOLE, there's obviously Syracuse. :D

--Mags

It's a shame, it's embarrassing actually.

Stony Brook, Albany, LIU, Iona and Manhattan and been to the tourney more than St. John's and Cornell..

SMH
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#19 » by DrCoach » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:12 am

Jeffrey wrote:On top of meeting the criteria of a D1 school, the current board will not put a single dollar in D1. Students will also fight against it.

Unless a Saudi Prince that wants to drop a nice donation for only athletics then I don't see how that will be possible.

They would have to be D2 for 5 years first.

NYU is one of the most Expensive schools in he USA. I don't want to hear it's not possible.
ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,714

Post#20 » by ccvle » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:55 am

the students don't really give a **** about sports. alot of the people go to NYU because they want the experience of manhattan. if they want to paint their face and go to a football/basketball game they can just stay home.

Return to New York Knicks