Interesting article on Black Players In Utah

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Re: Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#181 » by KDBG » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:08 pm

KDBG wrote:Being a minority born and raised in Utah, it is definitely a culture shock to most people, including black people for sure. Most of this is article is true, but one of the truest things of all is that people fall in love with the area once they actually experience it. Thurl Bailey is right too, it's not a racist place. I've only experienced true racism here a few times in my life (twice accused of stealing when I hadn't). I'm sure I would have experienced a lot more in other places around the country.

What people don't understand though is that Utah is way more diverse than it gets credit for. Being one of the reddest states in the country, Salt Lake City hasn't had a conservative mayor since the 60s I believe. The current mayor is a lesbian woman. Salt Lake City was actually named "gayest city" one year recently. Former gay NBA player John Amaechi said something along the lines of that Salt Lake City was the gayest city east of San Francisco.

Yup, not a lot of black people here, that's true. But there is a big Latino and Pacific Islander population. A lot of interracial families (including my own) are here, a good chunk of the time because Mormon missionaries go to different countries, or big cities and fall in love with the people there, and start dating women from that culture when they come back home.

One thing I can say is there are some really damn naive white people here. Almost in an adorable way. One time, at a salon I used to go to get my braids done, where Mormon white women were most of the clientele, this really funny thing happened. I noticed one day that all these chicks were huddled near me, whispering and giggling. I was like wtf? I went to the bathroom and came back, and my stylist says to me, "those girls were asking if that hot black guy played football for BYU". They were talking about me. Just because I had light brown skin and was getting my braids done, they assumed I was black and that the only way a black male was in Provo, Utah, was because he played sports. So yeah, if any of you are black and single and love white women, come to Provo and you will get the most beautiful white women in the world. No joke, you could be cock-eyed and overweight and smell like ass, it won't matter. They will treat you like a king.

Just bumping this. Cause you know, I'm a minority in Utah. I gotta protect my turf from falsehoods, and I have a unique perspective, k, bye. Yes, I'm being selfish. I just rep where I'm from, and I'll defend it till the day I die.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,476

Post#182 » by sikma42 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:12 pm

GobertReport wrote:
sikma42 wrote:
I Hate Manure wrote:SLC is a beautiful city. Utah is kind of like the Alderran of the United States.

Only uninteresting people can't find happiness wherever they go. This is the problem facing our country. We are a melting pot but we are turning into a self-interested, self-obsessed group of people. If you move to Salt Lake City, learn to appreciate the local culture, the uniqueness of Mormonism, and the beauty of the American frontier. If you move to Atlanta or New Orleans, check out the jazz, the gospel choirs, the soul/Creole food, and black culture. If you have to play in Europe, appreciate the opera, the masterpieces in their museums, and architecture.

I'm a black man who is attracted to black women. The population has basically no black women. I want to raise my children around a critical mass of black people. I want to pursue my career (Utah is a second rate city to do that). I guess that all falls under being uninteresting.

I enjoy Portland. Even considered eventually going there if I ever decided to slow down. But, Portland and SLC seem a bit different. At least my perception.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Utah has attractive black women, maybe not as many as other areas but we do, also what do you know about the Utah economy? I guess I should ask what your career is to determine that Utah is second rate for said career, it seems like you have a prejudice against white people or Utah.

I'm an attorney. It's second rate for what I do.

I have nothing wrong with any people. I'd just rather not live in a place with such a low % and a reputation for racism.

G35
RealGM
And1: 7,704

Post#183 » by G35 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:20 pm

I Hate Manure wrote:
sikma42 wrote:
Regardless of situation I wouldn't want to live in SLC. You have to pay me a lot of money to make t worth while.

I wouldn't be miserable anywhere because by nature I'm optimistic and make the best of situations.

SLC isn't a new thing. It's not moving to a different country. At least if I'm moving to Seoul or Tokyo I'm learning about a different culture and can immerse myself in the language. I don't think I'm getting the same degree of that in SLC. And regardless, that is not an "adventure" I'd ever seek out in ANY situation.

Btw...I've traveled a fair amount and would love to work in other global cities.

I think every place has new things to see or do. Utah is completely unique in terms of religion and history in the U.S. It's not exotic or sexy but interesting enough. The rest of the non-Mormon stuff strikes me as being similar to other healthy, outdoorsy Western cities.

Personally, I think I would get more out of that than playing in Miami or L.A. and being constantly drawn/pressured into the whole club scene (got to keep up with the Joneses) filled with women trying to milk you of every dime you earned. If I was a young player who grew up with those expectations, I would think living in Utah would be freeing and relaxing. There is always the road trips to do your partying on.

I agree, I think being an NBA player in general is rife with danger i.e. people trying to take advantage of you.

There are so many of these scams going on particularly now with technology. People recording you, starting fights hoping to get a court settlement, club/groupies trying get you in a compromising position. I'm not with that; I'm not going to lie, I would love to have the opportunities that the NBA life has to offer but so many players seem to not end up well. Personally, I'm also a big proponent of being a big fish in a little bowl. I have had more fun in smaller, local clubs, strip clubs, restaurants, etc than the touristy, trendy, corporate type situations.

If you win big in some of these smaller cities aka SLC, Sacramento, Milwaukee, Memphis, OKC, Seattle, Atlanta you would be a god among men. Look at how Dominique Wilkins gets treated in ATL, Gary Payton in Seattle, Karl Malone in Utah, Tim Duncan in San Antonio. The appreciation is that much higher for the loyalty you give to a smaller town; look at the Lakers and how they fired Mitch Kupchak. That guy brought in Pau Gasol, Trevor Ariza, Ron Artest/MWP, Andrew Bynum, Steve Nash (knew that was a mistake), Dwight Howard (doubled down on mistakes) and two titles, three finals appearances. But now he is persona non grata when the Lakers are clearly in a rebuilding situation. If you bring Utah one title, I bet you get your jersey up in the rafters.......
I'm so tired of the typical......
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,907

Post#184 » by chrismikayla » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:20 pm

As long as the people are fairly accepting and open minded I'm open to living places even if outside my comfort zone. Salt Lake is a beautiful city and low key.

Sent from my Z981 using RealGM mobile app
[gfycat][/gfycat]
KDBG
Starter

Post#185 » by KDBG » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:22 pm

sikma42 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
sikma42 wrote:
I'm a black man who is attracted to black women. The population has basically no black women. I want to raise my children around a critical mass of black people. I want to pursue my career (Utah is a second rate city to do that). I guess that all falls under being uninteresting.

I enjoy Portland. Even considered eventually going there if I ever decided to slow down. But, Portland and SLC seem a bit different. At least my perception.

Utah has attractive black women, maybe not as many as other areas but we do, also what do you know about the Utah economy? I guess I should ask what your career is to determine that Utah is second rate for said career, it seems like you have a prejudice against white people or Utah.

I have nothing wrong with any people. I'd just rather not live in a place with such a low % and a reputation for racism.

Utah? Racism? Give me examples. I LIVE here. Minority to minority. No hard feelings, just respectfully want your opinion.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#186 » by AingesBurner » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:29 pm

G35 wrote:
I Hate Manure wrote:
sikma42 wrote:
Regardless of situation I wouldn't want to live in SLC. You have to pay me a lot of money to make t worth while.

I wouldn't be miserable anywhere because by nature I'm optimistic and make the best of situations.

SLC isn't a new thing. It's not moving to a different country. At least if I'm moving to Seoul or Tokyo I'm learning about a different culture and can immerse myself in the language. I don't think I'm getting the same degree of that in SLC. And regardless, that is not an "adventure" I'd ever seek out in ANY situation.

Btw...I've traveled a fair amount and would love to work in other global cities.

I think every place has new things to see or do. Utah is completely unique in terms of religion and history in the U.S. It's not exotic or sexy but interesting enough. The rest of the non-Mormon stuff strikes me as being similar to other healthy, outdoorsy Western cities.

Personally, I think I would get more out of that than playing in Miami or L.A. and being constantly drawn/pressured into the whole club scene (got to keep up with the Joneses) filled with women trying to milk you of every dime you earned. If I was a young player who grew up with those expectations, I would think living in Utah would be freeing and relaxing. There is always the road trips to do your partying on.

I agree, I think being an NBA player in general is rife with danger i.e. people trying to take advantage of you.

There are so many of these scams going on particularly now with technology. People recording you, starting fights hoping to get a court settlement, club/groupies trying get you in a compromising position. I'm not with that; I'm not going to lie, I would love to have the opportunities that the NBA life has to offer but so many players seem to not end up well. Personally, I'm also a big proponent of being a big fish in a little bowl. I have had more fun in smaller, local clubs, strip clubs, restaurants, etc than the touristy, trendy, corporate type situations.

If you win big in some of these smaller cities aka SLC, Sacramento, Milwaukee, Memphis, OKC, Seattle, Atlanta you would be a god among men. Look at how Dominique Wilkins gets treated in ATL, Gary Payton in Seattle, Karl Malone in Utah, Tim Duncan in San Antonio. The appreciation is that much higher for the loyalty you give to a smaller town; look at the Lakers and how they fired Mitch Kupchak. That guy brought in Pau Gasol, Trevor Ariza, Ron Artest/MWP, Andrew Bynum, Steve Nash (knew that was a mistake), Dwight Howard (doubled down on mistakes) and two titles, three finals appearances. But now he is persona non grata when the Lakers are clearly in a rebuilding situation. If you bring Utah one title, I bet you get your jersey up in the rafters.......

You take us to the Finals you get bronze statues in front of the stadium, car dealerships, streets named after you, and I believe a state holiday as well...
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#187 » by AingesBurner » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:32 pm

sikma42 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
sikma42 wrote:

I have met some really successful lawyers in Utah and the fact that the cost of living is so much lower here as well. less pay equals out to property values.
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#188 » by AingesBurner » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:34 pm

I would also like to point out that this reporter fails to mention that Dr. J had a home in Utah up until the 2000's and Michael Jordan and Will Smith currently have homes in of the most prestigious areas in Park City.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=36973453&nid=1268
Ingles is cooked.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,476

Post#189 » by sikma42 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:35 pm

KDBG wrote:
sikma42 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

Utah? Racism? Give me examples. I LIVE here. Minority to minority. No hard feelings, just respectfully want your opinion.

Throughout this thread I've said perceived racism and reputation for racism. I'm out now, but I can post some links when I'm back.

I have nothing against Utah. Not trying to poo poo it. Just surprised some people are acting like this reputation doesn't exist and there are legit reasons some might not want to live there

KDBG
Starter

Post#190 » by KDBG » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:36 pm

I hate the fact that some people think if you live in a place with a lot of white people, you must be ****ing racist. Such lazy thinking. Be a true intellectual damnit, and think! Without your damn agendas. **** that, I'm mixed raced. I don't care, just be a damn human.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#191 » by AingesBurner » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:42 pm

KDBG wrote:I hate the fact that some people think if you live in a place with a lot of white people, you must be ****ing racist. Such lazy thinking. Be a true intellectual damnit, and think! Without your damn agendas. **** that, I'm mixed raced. I don't care, just be a damn human.

Freakin A bro, when it comes down to it our blood is all the same color.
Ingles is cooked.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#192 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:20 pm

GobertReport wrote:I would also like to point out that this reporter fails to mention that Dr. J had a home in Utah up until the 2000's and Michael Jordan and Will Smith currently have homes in of the most prestigious areas in Park City.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=36973453&nid=1268

MJ? Mary Jane ? 8-)
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Re: Black Players In Utah 

Post#193 » by babyjax13 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:38 pm

Cyrusman122000 wrote:I've been to Utah and honestly other than there very strict alcohol rules and weed laws (I smoke) I'd like to live there. It has all the things any big city has just not as much. What do you need 1000 nightclubs and different restaurants for? As long as it has the basics your good restaurants, some good bars, id be good. I wouldn't need to live in a zoo like how New York and LA are. Utah is very clean, safe, beautiful in nature and has a true 4 seasons.
Maybe not salt lake but I'd way rather live in a place like Portland or Denver over LA.
I'm from Southern California and for the life of me I don't understand why so many people love LA
It's dirty, crime rate is high, over populated, has the worst traffic of any US city, and is overpriced
I mean look at this picture and how dirty the air looks in LA would you wanna live there?

To be fair, Salt Lake has the worst air quality in the nation when the inversion gets going (which is like...40% of the year).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Re: RE: Re: Interesting article on Black Players In Utah 

Post#194 » by E-Balla » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:01 pm

Winglish wrote:
KDBG wrote:I love that my home is getting this attention. Some views are on point, and some are so damn far off. But this creates discussion, and I love it.

Agreed. Some of the perceptions of Salt Lake City are funny to read because they are so far from the reality of the situation. Some are real issues to discuss.

The poster above who mentioned how they wanted their kids to date within the same race resonated with me. That can be a real issue for black kids. I am a school principal and I see that one firsthand from time to time. We get some black kids who only want to date black kids but the other black kids at school just are not right for them. Meanwhile, there might be a white kid or Asian kid or Latino kid or an islander who is good looking and shares the same interests and they get along great, but the kids just won't cross that racial line a lot of times. It does make me sad to see the kids keep trying to force the proverbial square peg into the round hole just because they share skin color and have literally nothing else in common.

Sent from my SM-N900T using RealGM mobile app

You black? If not you probably don't get it but being black in America means you have tons in common with each other no matter what background you personally have. That's just the way the country is. In my personal experience I'll flat out say 90% of white people I've met are racist. Not that they notice it or are consciously racist but that's just life growing up in the US - it's conditioning.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,590

Post#195 » by Nate505 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:37 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Winglish wrote:
KDBG wrote:I love that my home is getting this attention. Some views are on point, and some are so damn far off. But this creates discussion, and I love it.

Agreed. Some of the perceptions of Salt Lake City are funny to read because they are so far from the reality of the situation. Some are real issues to discuss.

The poster above who mentioned how they wanted their kids to date within the same race resonated with me. That can be a real issue for black kids. I am a school principal and I see that one firsthand from time to time. We get some black kids who only want to date black kids but the other black kids at school just are not right for them. Meanwhile, there might be a white kid or Asian kid or Latino kid or an islander who is good looking and shares the same interests and they get along great, but the kids just won't cross that racial line a lot of times. It does make me sad to see the kids keep trying to force the proverbial square peg into the round hole just because they share skin color and have literally nothing else in common.

You black? If not you probably don't get it but being black in America means you have tons in common with each other no matter what background you personally have. That's just the way the country is. In my personal experience I'll flat out say 90% of white people I've met are racist. Not that they notice it or are consciously racist but that's just life growing up in the US - it's conditioning.

So what's your definition of racist, and what separates the 10% of whites who are not?
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#196 » by AingesBurner » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:54 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Winglish wrote:

So if we are making generalizations does that mean 90% of black people I meet will be racist?
Ingles is cooked.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#197 » by E-Balla » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:21 pm

Nate505 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
Winglish wrote:Agreed. Some of the perceptions of Salt Lake City are funny to read because they are so far from the reality of the situation. Some are real issues to discuss.

So what's your definition of racist, and what separates the 10% of whites who are not?

My definition of racist goes as far as you treating someone differently or acting differently around people of different races. What separates the other 10% is that they act comfortable, don't really change up when they're around different people, and if they did and you said something about it they actually listen and don't respond with hostility like the poster right after you. That's not something easy to achieve when you're raised in the US and constantly taught to be hostile towards people of color in all situations.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,122

Post#198 » by GopherIt! » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:28 pm

ocelot17 wrote:You're missing the point. Anybody could've committed grand theft auto, but you went out of your way to call it an "illegal immigration problem, particularly with regard to crime."

You could've just said "LA has high crime rate" and left it at that.

But you lumped crime in as another "problem with illegal immigration."

lol. im the one making the point.

and my point is about the incentive attached to legal status. because of how our laws are written, a legal citizen has a much stronger incentive to not commit a crime than someone who is in our country illegally. LA has a higher crime rate due to this fact.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#199 » by SK21209 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:30 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Nate505 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:You black? If not you probably don't get it but being black in America means you have tons in common with each other no matter what background you personally have. That's just the way the country is. In my personal experience I'll flat out say 90% of white people I've met are racist. Not that they notice it or are consciously racist but that's just life growing up in the US - it's conditioning.

My definition of racist goes as far as you treating someone differently or acting differently around people of different races. What separates the other 10% is that they act comfortable, don't really change up when they're around different people, and if they did and you said something about it they actually listen and don't respond with hostility like the poster right after you. That's not something easy to achieve when you're raised in the US and constantly taught to be hostile towards people of color in all situations.

That's a pretty ridiculous statement.
shoefly1
Junior
And1: 396

Post#200 » by shoefly1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:38 pm

GopherIt! wrote:
ocelot17 wrote:You're missing the point. Anybody could've committed grand theft auto, but you went out of your way to call it an "illegal immigration problem, particularly with regard to crime."

You could've just said "LA has high crime rate" and left it at that.

But you lumped crime in as another "problem with illegal immigration."

lol. im the one making the point.

and my point is about the incentive attached to legal status. because of how our laws are written, a legal citizen has a much stronger incentive to not commit a crime than someone who is in our country illegally. LA has a higher crime rate due to this fact.

This is demonstrably false and has been proven to be false by countless studies, please don't continue to perpetuate this blatant falsehood.

http://thehill.com/latino/324607-reports-find-that-immigrants-commit-less-crime-than-us-born-citizens

Return to The General Board