ImageImageImageImageImage

Hypothetical: Knicks get Ball

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Hypothetical: Knicks get Ball 

Post#1 » by Bill Pidto » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:02 am

What do they do?

As good as this kid is, I say you def go ahead with the rebuild, and at least trade Melo. I'm all for trading C Lee as well. Between the two guys, hopefully you trim some salary and you pick up 2 mid-late firsts, or a first and some second rounders, or some combination of pick/young players with upside. Maybe that's a pipe dream in itself, maybe not. But either way-

Ball/Baker/Randle
Holiday/Lee?
Lance/Kuz
KP
Will/KO/Noah

Two 2nd rounders coming as well. As long as you shed Melo and Rose, who in the NBA will have a better situation in terms of youth/talent/flexibility? Definitely some, but not many.

Ball and KP is such a fantastic combination, you couldn't dream it up. If the Knicks pull it off, the dark days will immediately and finally be behind us. Instant championship? Hell no. A quantum leap from where the Knicks are now and where they were before KP was drafted? Forget about it..
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Re: Hypothetical: Knicks get Ball 

Post#2 » by Sprewell4Three » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:05 am

If the Knicks get ball, we have to surround him with shooters. I would probably keep Lee and possibly Melo as well. Remember how well Melo played when he actually played with a true point guard (Kidd).
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,352

Post#3 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:05 am

I think in that situation Phil wouldn't trade Melo and Melo wouldn't request a trade. I think he'd be fine staying in NY to play with Ball rather than ring chasing.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 37,856

Post#4 » by KnicksGod » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:07 am

He'll back up Ron Baker.
EnigmatiC
General Manager
And1: 1,435

Post#5 » by EnigmatiC » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 am

Keep building, trade Melo. we would be getting a good pick next year too this is our time to build a core of good homegrown players.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,616

Post#6 » by mpharris36 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 am

ibraheim718 wrote:I think in that situation Phil wouldn't trade Melo and Melo wouldn't request a trade. I think he'd be fine staying in NY to play with Ball rather than ring chasing.

I don't think our defense would be good enough to "ring chase"

Ball would make our offense run like clockwork but our defense would still be atrocious and Ball isn't changing that. I would rather have a 3/D guy then Melo in that situation.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Bill Pidto » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 am

ibraheim718 wrote:I think in that situation Phil wouldn't trade Melo and Melo wouldn't request a trade. I think he'd be fine staying in NY to play with Ball rather than ring chasing.

That would suck
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#8 » by MP4LIFE » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:13 am

Noah the $18 million third string center is just sad to see in a lineup sheet.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#9 » by whocares1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:14 am

At this point I still think a Melo trade is unlikely. He's not the type to ring chase.
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by MP4LIFE » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:17 am

whocares1 wrote:At this point I still think a Melo trade is unlikely. He's not the type to ring chase.

You're right.

He is the type to take 25 shots a game at 34 years old.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#11 » by Greenie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:33 am

Bill Pidto wrote:What do they do?

As good as this kid is, I say you def go ahead with the rebuild, and at least trade Melo. I'm all for trading C Lee as well. Between the two guys, hopefully you trim some salary and you pick up 2 mid-late firsts, or a first and some second rounders, or some combination of pick/young players with upside. Maybe that's a pipe dream in itself, maybe not. But either way-

Ball/Baker/Randle
Holiday/Lee?
Lance/Kuz
KP
Will/KO/Noah

Two 2nd rounders coming as well. As long as you shed Melo and Rose, who in the NBA will have a better situation in terms of youth/talent/flexibility? Definitely some, but not many.

Ball and KP is such a fantastic combination, you couldn't dream it up. If the Knicks pull it off, the dark days will immediately and finally be behind us. Instant championship? Hell no. A quantum leap from where the Knicks are now and where they were before KP was drafted? Forget about it..

You still have KP playing and chasing PF's?

:noway:
Greenie
RealGM

Post#12 » by Greenie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:35 am

MP4LIFE wrote:
whocares1 wrote:At this point I still think a Melo trade is unlikely. He's not the type to ring chase.

You're right.

This is what people are talking about. What's with the low blows at all times?
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by MP4LIFE » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:36 am

Greenie wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:

You're right.

Why is that a low blow? Is that not true?

A low blow would be something that isn't true.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#14 » by Greenie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:37 am

mpharris36 wrote:

I don't think our defense would be good enough to "ring chase"

Ball would make our offense run like clockwork but our defense would still be atrocious and Ball isn't changing that. I would rather have a 3/D guy then Melo in that situation.

Not even.

KP
Melo
?(Call Charlotte about MKG)
Lee
Ball

That's what I would do. It takes both KP and Melo off the perimeter, adds an elite perimeter defender to a solid one in Lee and has a floor general.

That team would actually do damage.
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Bill Pidto » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:38 am

Greenie wrote:

Ball/Baker/Randle
Holiday/Lee?
Lance/Kuz
KP
Will/KO/Noah

Don't turn this into one of your little sh*t shows about KP, please. Thank you.

We can play him wherever you'd like for the sake of this thread, K?

Everyone, KP is a center now.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#16 » by Greenie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:39 am

Sprewell4Three wrote:If the Knicks get ball, we have to surround him with shooters. I would probably keep Lee and possibly Melo as well. Remember how well Melo played when he actually played with a true point guard (Kidd).

Exactly.

He simply needs to be moved to PF. His SF days are done.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#17 » by Oscirus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:39 am

you have to go with the rebuild even if we don't get him. Get rid of all players over 30 that can be traded without giving up picks ( sorry we're stuck with Noah) , and rebuild accordingly.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Greenie
RealGM

Post#18 » by Greenie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:40 am

Bill Pidto wrote:
Greenie wrote:

Ball/Baker/Randle
Holiday/Lee?
Lance/Kuz
KP
Will/KO/Noah

Don't turn this into one of your little sh*t shows about KP, please. Thank you.

We can play him wherever you'd like for the sake of this thread, K?

Everyone, KP is a center now.

Watch it Bill. You can talk all the **** you want about Melo but people can't say stop playing KP at PF?

FOH
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,602

Post#19 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:43 am

Greenie wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:

You're right.

literally this is what i just said. ALL of his posts are about bashing carmelo. but i'm the crazy one here
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Greenie
RealGM

Post#20 » by Greenie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:44 am

MP4LIFE wrote:
Greenie wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:
You're right.

Why is that a low blow? Is that not true?

A low blow would be something that isn't true.

Right now you're in another thread arguing about what you say or don't about Melo on a regular basis with another poster. What you just posted was out of left field and helps prove 3Melo's point is all I'm saying.

At least own it. It's OK. We know you don't like Melo Mr. Perfect. Yoo haven't liked dude for years. Stop playing

Return to New York Knicks