Ranking the Kings prospects

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Alex DeLarge
Junior
And1: 318

Ranking the Kings prospects 

Post#1 » by Alex DeLarge » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:23 am

I ask this question not to assert a position, but to get a sense of how the NBA fan community rates the Kings' young guys.

As I don't particularly enjoy watching bad (and often belligerent) basketball, I have not been an avid watcher of the Kings over the past few seasons, and thus my familiarity with WCS and PapaG is fairly limited. I've seen the WCS highlights, but don't really have a sense of his feel for the game.

Skal, to me, looks like the clear #1 prospect on the roster. He is long, skilled, is confident putting the ball on the floor, and can finish with both hands. He obviously needs to develop physically, but he has all the tools.

Hield has looked better since joining the Kings, but I'm still struggling to see genuine star potential. I still think prime Jodi Meeks is a good comp. His ceiling is probably pre-ACL Wes Matthews, but he has a long way to go defensively. His shooting should ensure a long career as a rotation player; the question is whether it's as a starter on a good team, or as a backup.
raiderman4
Freshman
And1: 61

Re: Ranking the Kings prospects 

Post#2 » by raiderman4 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:05 am

It's the kings. I feel like it dosent matter they will always find a way to be bad no matter what.
Greek
Starter
And1: 447

Post#3 » by Greek » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:21 am

What about Papajohn? he is getting more time recently and he is producing, from the highlights his body looks much better, very nimble on his feet for such a big guy and his hookshots with both hands look unblockable too
bigpimpatl
Veteran
And1: 1,213

Post#4 » by bigpimpatl » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:29 am

I'd go WCS, Hield, Skal, PapaG, then Malachi, but the gap between WCS and Hield, to Skal isn't as big as the drop from Skal to PapaG and Richardson. i like their prospects for for different reasons. WCS and Skal I like because they are versatile, skilled big men. Hield I like as a future sixth man. I don't expect him to be better than the guards the team will pick up in the next draft. PapaG and Malachi are very, very raw and they probably aren't ready to contribute soon. They need more reps but if they pan out they could be effective role players while the team focuses their resources on a star talent. Or used in trades.

These five plus the two in the summer will require some planning. Too many prospects and not enough time.
Bologna Smasher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,180

Post#5 » by Bologna Smasher » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:32 am

Combing current skill level + potential, my rank would be:

1. Skal Labissiere
2. Georgis Papagiannis
3. Willie Cauley-Stein
4. Buddy Hield
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#6 » by Golabki » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:41 am

Alex DeLarge wrote:I ask this question not to assert a position, but to get a sense of how the NBA fan community rates the Kings' young guys.

As I don't particularly enjoy watching bad (and often belligerent) basketball, I have not been an avid watcher of the Kings over the past few seasons, and thus my familiarity with WCS and PapaG is fairly limited. I've seen the WCS highlights, but don't really have a sense of his feel for the game.

Skal, to me, looks like the clear #1 prospect on the roster. He is long, skilled, is confident putting the ball on the floor, and can finish with both hands. He obviously needs to develop physically, but he has all the tools.

Hield has looked better since joining the Kings, but I'm still struggling to see genuine star potential. I still think prime Jodi Meeks is a good comp. His ceiling is probably pre-ACL Wes Matthews, but he has a long way to go defensively. His shooting should ensure a long career as a rotation player; the question is whether it's as a starter on a good team, or as a backup.

I think Hield's probably #1... and worth maybe a pick in the late teens.

Skal has been stuffing stats on a garbage team in limited time... but also was doing NOTHING in the D league for most of the year. I/m not going to overreact to small sample size theater. I think he's worth a pick in the 20s.

WCS is still interesting enough to garner a pick in the 20s or a couple 2nds (and that might be generous if you look at what Noel was worth and Noel is basically a much better version of WCS).

Papa G isn't worth more than a second.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,046

Post#7 » by bwgood77 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:53 am

raiderman4 wrote:It's the kings. I feel like it dosent matter they will always find a way to be bad no matter what.

Please don't bait a fanbase. If you are not going to answer the topic question, don't contribute to the thread.
Alex DeLarge
Junior
And1: 318

Post#8 » by Alex DeLarge » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:16 am

bigpimpatl wrote:I'd go WCS, Hield, Skal, PapaG, then Malachi, but the gap between WCS and Hield, to Skal isn't as big as the drop from Skal to PapaG and Richardson. i like their prospects for for different reasons. WCS and Skal I like because they are versatile, skilled big men. Hield I like as a future sixth man. I don't expect him to be better than the guards the team will pick up in the next draft. PapaG and Malachi are very, very raw and they probably aren't ready to contribute soon. They need more reps but if they pan out they could be effective role players while the team focuses their resources on a star talent. Or used in trades.

These five plus the two in the summer will require some planning. Too many prospects and not enough time.

The issue is Skal just turned 21 a few days ago, whereas Hield turned 23 last year.

I feel like we pretty much know what Hield can do already, whereas Skal is an intriguing prospect.
MEGAQUIB
Junior
And1: 194

Post#9 » by MEGAQUIB » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:17 am

The only player that looks like he can be an average starter is Hield.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,227

Post#10 » by BadWolf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:25 pm

I'd go Hield and Skal as potential solid starters, with an outside chance Skal turns into a star.
WCS has the tools, but I'm just don't see it, could turn in a solid defensive guy.
PapaG is a wild card, but could be a solid third big.
Haven't seen much of Malachi.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,973

Post#11 » by PerkinsFor3 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Skal is too weak to defend most 5/4s. PapaG actually has shown most impressive stuff so far. Really impressive these past games, and has most Kings fans swaaloing their words about Divac.

Hield looks like he could be decent as well.

I'd go

Hield (capped ceiling)
PapaG
Skal
WCS (misses motor, cant teeach that)
Malachi
raiderman4
Freshman
And1: 61

Post#12 » by raiderman4 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:42 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
raiderman4 wrote:It's the kings. I feel like it dosent matter they will always find a way to be bad no matter what.

Please don't bait a fanbase. If you are not going to answer the topic question, don't contribute to the thread.

The kings have fans?

Strike 1 for baiting a fan base after being warned in thread.
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#13 » by SactoKingsFan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:21 am

Skal
WCS
Bogdanovic
Hield
Papagiannis
Richardson

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,762

Post#14 » by Upperclass » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:25 am

Richardson is their 2nd best prospect after WCS, PapaG 3rd, due to his rebounding and inside presence, Skal 4th. I think he'll be a scoring, bench big
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#15 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:50 am

Skal has been intriguing. The guy is putting up per 36 numbers of a high level starter, has been rebounding and scoring at a high rate with very good eficiency during this month

I would say he is their best prospect atm
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Post#16 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:21 am

Skal - Easily first. I think he has top 3 position potential. Hard to find kids at his young age possess the offensive game he has while also displaying the ability (though not strong or exactly there yet)

WCS - Man I love athletic bigs. The combo of he and Skal looks amazing. He does it all and has really matured over this season.

Hield - I wish he could make better decisions and pass stronger. I think with time that will come but hes 23 and his major weakness is dribbling and passing out of double teams, not sure if that will be a problem through his career. Kid can score with the best of them though, amazing 3pt shot.

Richardson - Man he was impressive when he got the chance. Young, length, shooting ability, taking guys off the dribble. Lets just say im not entirely convinced he wont be better than Hield.

Papa - Not bad by any means. Soft touch around the hoop and for being so out of shape hes pretty mobile. Also had a decent jumper and good rebounding.

I see Skal/WCS being long term starters on playoff worthy teams. Hield being a better JJ Reddick type of a player, probably want him to be your 4th or 5th best player but can be your 2nd or 3rd scorer. Richardson is likely 6th man fill it up quick type of a guy. Papa is tough to say, he could develop to be Marc Gasol or he could be a major bust, I tend to lean more towards WCS/SKal type of player than him.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#17 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:26 am

Hield and Skal are heads above the others in terms of potential. Malachi having strong finish to the year could help but it's clear to me right now that Hield and Skal are where it's at. I think both might become the Kings 1/2 punch offensively.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#18 » by jonjames » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:39 am

I think kings have a star in Buddy Hield. He's not the next steph curry but he will be along the lines of devin booker. Skal and WCS are valuable pieces for this franchise moving forward..if they hit on either one of their top picks or both they will make the playoffs within 2 years.

Hield
Skal
WCS
Richardson
Papagiannis
miamiheat319
Veteran
And1: 6,891

Post#19 » by miamiheat319 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:46 am

SKAL
WCS
Hield
Papagiannis
Richardson

The Kings seem to have a tough time accepting the fact that rookies actually need to play in the NBA and not just the D-League, but it seems recently they've been actually doing a pretty good job playing their rookies. And I like what I've seen so far.
NBA Jersey connoisseur
https://youtu.be/k-PaOWxvnz0
ppproniplayboy
Ballboy
And1: 74

Post#20 » by ppproniplayboy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:19 am

skal- got me most excited for the kings future based on his recent play the past few weeks. his mid-range/turn-around jumpshots are silky smooth and he's got the most fire in his game. has gotten bullied on the defensive side, but a few offseasons of strength and conditioning should do the trick. i think he has the highest potential of the group.

buddy- thought he was going to be a bust out of college, but boy have i been stoked on what I've seen since the trade. He's shot the ball excellently since he's been a king, and just needs to improve his ball handling skills to be quite the offensive stud.

wcs- inconsistency is the issue with WCS. has had some excellent games, post-cousins, but also games where he puts up 6 points and 2 rebounds in a buttload of minutes. dire need to improve on the boards, but i think he should be fine.

malachi and papa g as unknowns. they have both shown flashes in limited minutes, and both are super young, so anything can happen. Malachi looked like a solid veteran before his hamstring injury, and was already a solid shot creator. definitely excited to see more from him. Papa g, when i first saw him in the summer league, i admit, i didn't think he would be in the nba in a few years. he was this 300 pound stiff, that looked like he had NO game on both ends. major credit to the kings development staff/d league. He lost about 20 pounds since, and has looked like a valuable piece moving forward. Got 14/11 in his first game of meaningful minutes, and followed it up with another double digit rebounding game. He's only 19, and seems like he's got a solid work ethic.

I was definitely bummed after the cousins trade, and thought i lost all hope. but with these four kids, bogdanovic coming over in the summer, and 2 top ten picks in this draft, i'm ecstatic for what's to come.

Return to The General Board