ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets PG: I don't know what I expected

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,745

Re: Nets PG: I don't know what I expected 

Post#281 » by Adelheid » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:44 am

jwise44 wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:
I'm telling you people are not used to a strong black man talking like this. People act like lavar is out there on the court shooting jumpshots. Lonzo is the one that has to make ish happen on that court not Lavar. If you don't like what Lavar is saying stop putting a mic infront of him. The guy supposedly has been talking this way all his life. His sons are used to this. It's just people in the media that are the problem.

Nah, this should hurt the draft stock of Ball. Especially in big media markets where dad will be disagreeing with the coaches play calls whenever his kid struggles.

Agreed...if he goes to a losing situation and Lonzo looks bad and media questions him I seriously think lavar is going to cause serious problems

Or even if he just goes to a losing team, his dad is going to go nuts blaming all his teammates IMO

Yeah but wat is LaVarr gonna do if Lakers draft his boy as what he wanted and they still end up having bad RSes?
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#282 » by jwise44 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:48 am

I think he's going to cause a problem...I don't think he is a bad father and I think he loves his kids and they love him

But I think he believes in them so much that they will do no wrong, and if they have a bad stretch as players or the team is losing that he will complain about the team or his teammates (already downplayed his sons teammates at ucla when saying he should be the first pick)

And god forbid if he gets benched for not playing well...coach and front office will come under fire

And again it's just IMO and I believe it's coming from a good place albeit misguided
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#283 » by EchelonNYK » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:47 pm

He's definitely going to a losing situation. I don't think Boston would take him over the "cleaner" Fultz.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#284 » by Sprewell4Three » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:29 pm

Kampuchea wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:
EchelonNYK wrote:
I doubt that's a universal opinion. There might be legit red flags with this kid and his family.

I'm telling you people are not used to a strong black man talking like this. People act like lavar is out there on the court shooting jumpshots. Lonzo is the one that has to make ish happen on that court not Lavar. If you don't like what Lavar is saying stop putting a mic infront of him. The guy supposedly has been talking this way all his life. His sons are used to this. It's just people in the media that are the problem.

Nah, this should hurt the draft stock of Ball. Especially in big media markets where dad will be disagreeing with the coaches play calls whenever his kid struggles.

You would be freaking stupid if you pass up on ball because of his dad. Lonzo doesn't have a problem with his dad talking to raise the profile of their brand. Lonzo is arguably the best prospect coming out this year. Lavar is just talking, you dudes act like he's out there shooting jumpshots with Lonzo.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager

Post#285 » by Sprewell4Three » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:31 pm

jwise44 wrote:I think he's going to cause a problem...I don't think he is a bad father and I think he loves his kids and they love him

But I think he believes in them so much that they will do no wrong, and if they have a bad stretch as players or the team is losing that he will complain about the team or his teammates (already downplayed his sons teammates at ucla when saying he should be the first pick)

And god forbid if he gets benched for not playing well...coach and front office will come under fire

And again it's just IMO and I believe it's coming from a good place albeit misguided

Simple stop putting a mic infront of him
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,174

Post#286 » by Kampuchea » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:39 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:You would be freaking stupid if you pass up on ball because of his dad. Lonzo doesn't have a problem with his dad talking to raise the profile of their brand. Lonzo is arguably the best prospect coming out this year. Lavar is just talking, you dudes act like he's out there shooting jumpshots with Lonzo.

Not necessarily to pass on him but it's a negative piece of the overall puzzle. You put the puzzle together and decide at what spot you are willing to draft him.

Off court noise does create a distraction we don't need and it does wear on players, some more than others.
Kampuchea
RealGM

Post#287 » by Kampuchea » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:Simple stop putting a mic infront of him

Weird comment. Fans aren't holding the mic, that's done by the media who will keep bringing the mic if they keep getting soundbites off the fool.

Berm and Isola salivating.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager

Post#288 » by Sprewell4Three » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:42 pm

Kampuchea wrote:

Weird comment. Fans aren't holding the mic, that's done by the media who will keep bringing the mic if they keep getting soundbites off the fool.

His 'foolish' comments have gotten his sons this far. It's just now there's a mic infront of him. Listen to more interviews and you will see that his sons have been hearing his dad talk like this their whole life. It doesn't bother them. It bothers people like yourself when you hear somebody talks like Lavar. I bet you hate Floyd Mayweather as well lol.
Kampuchea
RealGM

Post#289 » by Kampuchea » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:01 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:

His 'foolish' comments have gotten his sons this far. It's just now there's a mic infront of him. Listen to more interviews and you will see that his sons have been hearing his dad talk like this their whole life. It doesn't bother them. It bothers people like yourself when you hear somebody talks like Lavar. I bet you hate Floyd Mayweather as well lol.

You have contradicted yourself rather greatly. In one instance you suggest we are taking his comments too seriously and state "Lonzo is the one that has to make ish happen on that court not Lavar" but now you state "His 'foolish' comments have gotten his sons this far." Either his comments are impactful or they are not, let's stop mincing words.

To be clear, I am definitely not a fan of his comments and the potential distraction but I think the talents of the Kid are extreme and that's much more important in terms of rating. I think I need to move Ball to #2 on my list and just hope his pops can cool it if we did get lucky to draft his son.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#290 » by NYKAL » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:31 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:

You would be freaking stupid if you pass up on ball because of his dad. Lonzo doesn't have a problem with his dad talking to raise the profile of their brand. Lonzo is arguably the best prospect coming out this year. Lavar is just talking, you dudes act like he's out there shooting jumpshots with Lonzo.

I saw him interviewed this morning and he said something that has stayed with me. IF he was a woman and was vocal and supportive of her son like...say Iversons or many, many other players it would be a non-issue. But, because he's a strong MALE figure, its and issue..and I believe there is truth to this. The image of the masculine male (of color) is under attack in this country and if you are portrayed as Strong, Vocal Figure, you are seen as a potential "Problem." They rather you look weak while the female standing next to you does all the talking and makes all the decisions. Its proven in nearly every commercial, sitcom and movie.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,018

Post#291 » by moocow007 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:21 pm

jwise44 wrote:I think he's going to cause a problem...I don't think he is a bad father and I think he loves his kids and they love him

The problem is if he continues to mouth off about how great his son is and, as you indicated, if that mouthing off happens at the expense of the team and his teammates you can bet that things can get real ugly. He's extremely talented but unless he really lives up to the hype I can see thing turning real ugly fast especially in NY if things don't go well next season. His personality says he should be able to handle NY, but it's also the same personality (or the extension thereof to his dad) that could make things brutal. Dad LaVar will try to outduel the NY media and that's just a losing prosposition that can take everything else down with him.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,018

Post#292 » by moocow007 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:24 pm

NYKAL wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:

I saw him interviewed this morning and he said something that has stayed with me. IF he was a woman and was vocal and supportive of her son like...say Iversons or many, many other players it would be a non-issue. But, because he's a strong MALE figure, its and issue..and I believe there is truth to this. The image of the masculine male (of color) is under attack in this country and if you are portrayed as Strong, Vocal Figure, you are seen as a potential "Problem." They rather you look weak while the female standing next to you does all the talking and makes all the decisions. Its proven in nearly every commercial, sitcom and movie.

What other players mom has said the things he's said? And the thing is it doesn't matter what he thinks or what might be idealistically right, the reality of the situation is that the media has zoned in on him and will continue to do so with every statement he makes. Great if you give the media no ammunition to fire back with (i.e. help the team he gets drafted to instantly become a playoff contender) but the media (especially the NY media) is merciless and will take every opportunity to fire back if he really wants to initiate that type of relationship. And there is no winning a fight against the NY media. Every little mistake they will blow out, every innocent statement will be re-interpreted to be the words of the devil, every move, every step, everything.
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#293 » by jwise44 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:38 pm

moocow007 wrote:
NYKAL wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:

What other players mom has said the things he's said? And the thing is it doesn't matter what he thinks or what might be idealistically right, the reality of the situation is that the media has zoned in on him and will continue to do so with every statement he makes. Great if you give the media no ammunition to fire back with (i.e. help the team he gets drafted to instantly become a playoff contender) but the media (especially the NY media) is merciless and will take every opportunity to fire back if he really wants to initiate that type of relationship. And there is no winning a fight against the NY media. Every little mistake they will blow out, every innocent statement will be re-interpreted to be the words of the devil, every move, every step, everything.

EDIT---sorry moocow meant to quote the guy you quoted, too

Actually he is wrong

It was a problem in philly with kj McDaniels mom when she spoke out against the team to the point they traded him early (he hasn't had the opportunity to do that yet, but I think it's headed that way), but it seems like she learned her lesson because she quit talking

Also, as someone's wife that it caused such problems he was cut from 2 teams in the NFL (granted she is way worse and probably legit insane) Brent grimes wife

This isn't a strong male issue, he is talking WAYYYYYY more than any parent I've heard of and on camera to the media none the less
Sprewell4Three
General Manager

Post#294 » by Sprewell4Three » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:01 am

moocow007 wrote:

The problem is if he continues to mouth off about how great his son is and, as you indicated, if that mouthing off happens at the expense of the team and his teammates you can bet that things can get real ugly. He's extremely talented but unless he really lives up to the hype I can see thing turning real ugly fast especially in NY if things don't go well next season. His personality says he should be able to handle NY, but it's also the same personality (or the extension thereof to his dad) that could make things brutal. Dad LaVar will try to outduel the NY media and that's just a losing prosposition that can take everything else down with him.

The NY Media can go kick rocks ,dude. Just because the Knicks play in the same city as the Yankees, doesn't mean you have to treat them like the Yankees. Honestly, its just a couple of NY reporters that rile up controversy. We all know who they are.

Return to New York Knicks