If OKC wins title this year

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

If OKC wins title this year 

Post#1 » by nurseryc » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:12 pm

If OKC wins a title this year and Westbrook wins MVP and ends up averaging a triple double in the regular season and playoffs including finals on 30ppg, 10 assists and 10 Rebs minimum, will this be the best overall season of any player all time? Reasons why or reasons why not?
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Re: If OKC wins title this year 

Post#2 » by Pillendreher » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:20 pm

I think the more interesting question is: Would Durant retire before or after the parade?
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#3 » by Slava » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:22 pm

If he leads that OKC team to a title over 5 or so better teams he can have every accolade in the book.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#4 » by eminence » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:24 pm

If it happened, then yeah, it'd likely be the greatest season of all time. Barring Sabonis suddenly becoming his daddy the only way OKC wins a title is if Russ is absolutely superhuman through the playoffs, to levels pretty clearly above where he's at right now. Almost no chance it happens though.

(Ignoring the scenario where the league is ravaged by injuries and OKC is the last man standing)
I bought a boat.
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,123

Post#5 » by AdagioPace » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:36 pm

He would need to smash Lebron 09 (in that east) playoff run to go through THIS West

something like, bringing OKC' Ortg to 7-8 more points x 100 ps. Basically another gear as an offensive player, unless Adams becomes Hakeem....I don't see it
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
nurseryc
Analyst

Post#6 » by nurseryc » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:44 pm

AdagioPace wrote:He would need to smash Lebron 09 (in that east) playoff run to go through THIS West

something like, bringing OKC' Ortg to 7-8 more points x 100 ps. Basically another gear as an offensive player, unless Adams becomes Hakeem....I don't see it

Hakeem now or Hakeem MVP years?
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,123

Post#7 » by AdagioPace » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:45 pm

nurseryc wrote:
AdagioPace wrote:He would need to smash Lebron 09 (in that east) playoff run to go through THIS West

:D mvp years?
I mean, another great second option at least
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
nurseryc
Analyst

Post#8 » by nurseryc » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:55 pm

AdagioPace wrote:
nurseryc wrote:

:D mvp years?
I mean, another great second option at least

If Adams morphed into Hakeem the dream, that would clearly deminish Westbrooks GOAT season
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,349

Post#9 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:07 pm

Slava wrote:If he leads that OKC team to a title over 5 or so better teams he can have every accolade in the book.

Yup. That would literally be unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Post#10 » by Joao Saraiva » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:26 pm

I think he would have to do A LOT to win it all. So probably it would be the best season ever.

I wouldn't put my money on that to happen. Even playing at great level like he is he probably doesn't win the 1st series... let alone the championship.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
mischievous
General Manager
And1: 3,482

Post#11 » by mischievous » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:39 pm

That team is not winning it all, so it's pointless to even talk about.
DoubleO8
Rookie
And1: 308

Post#12 » by DoubleO8 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:39 pm

Impossible lol. If that were to happen the way you describe Westbrook would be vaulted up to around top 25-15 range.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,890

Post#13 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:44 pm

Well, now I kinda want this to happen. And I don't even like Westbrook and generally hate OKC. But this would turn the NBA, or at least RealGM, completely on its head.

No matter what, I'm looking forward to Russell's assault on the playoffs. I think the Thunder can win a first-round series against anybody but full-strength GSW. Just not four series against everybody.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#14 » by SlowPaced » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:01 pm

It's not going to happen, but if it did, yes, it would be the greatest individual season ever. Catapults him to Top 20 all-time level straight away, gives him Top 10 all-time upside in the long run.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,584

Post#15 » by penbeast0 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Yeah, assuming everyone else plays roughly at regular season level, you have to make Russ the GOAT peak or very very close at worst. Of course, if the Wizards do the same thing, does that make Wall the GOAT peak?
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,517

Post#16 » by sp6r=underrated » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:20 pm

Slava wrote:If he leads that OKC team to a title over 5 or so better teams he can have every accolade in the book.

It would honestly be more shocking than the 95 Rockets winning the title which is the most shocking occurrence of my basketball life.
penbeast0

Post#17 » by penbeast0 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:29 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:

It would honestly be more shocking than the 95 Rockets winning the title which is the most shocking occurrence of my basketball life.

For me it was the 75 Warriors . . . in 25 years, no one had ever won without a HOF caliber big and they had just traded away theirs for Cliff Ray. (And no one won again without a HOF big until Bill Laimbeer and the Bad Boys . . . another 14 years later.) And, to add insult to injury they beat my team, the Bullets, with 2 HOF bigs in Hayes and Unseld.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,517

Post#18 » by sp6r=underrated » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:15 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

For me it was the 75 Warriors . . . in 25 years, no one had ever won without a HOF caliber big and they had just traded away theirs for Cliff Ray. (And no one won again without a HOF big until Bill Laimbeer and the Bad Boys . . . another 14 years later.) And, to add insult to injury they beat my team, the Bullets, with 2 HOF bigs in Hayes and Unseld.

It would definitely be a generational level upset. Also it is nearly impossible to overstate what would happen to Westbrook's reputation if he outplayed some combination of Harden, Curry and Irving in a run to the title. It would have the exact same reputational effect as 95 WCF. No one would ever look at Russ the same.
ThaRegul8r
Head Coach
And1: 3,019

Post#19 » by ThaRegul8r » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:22 pm

mischievous wrote:That team is not winning it all, so it's pointless to even talk about.

Saves me the trouble of basically saying this.
I remember your posts from the RPOY project, you consistently brought it. Please continue to do so, sir. This board needs guys like you to counteract ... worthless posters

Retirement isn’t the end of the road, but just a turn in the road. – Unknown
penbeast0

Post#20 » by penbeast0 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:33 pm

ThaRegul8r wrote:
mischievous wrote:That team is not winning it all, so it's pointless to even talk about.

Saves me the trouble of basically saying this.

Do you really think it would be that much more shocking than the 75 Warriors (almost the same win%, similar 1 star system, just lost their 2nd star in the offseason)? If so, why?

Return to Player Comparisons