ImageImageImageImageImage

KP to workout with Dirk

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Re: KP to workout with Dirk 

Post#121 » by Billy Goat » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Would prefer he worked out with someone like KG.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,236

Post#122 » by gavran » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:57 pm

I'd rather him work out with God himself.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,180

Re: RE: Re: KP to workout with Dirk 

Post#123 » by DOT » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:08 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:Porzingis needs to gain muscle this offseason. As much as he can. He should be in the weight room all summer because last summer he did jack. I'm not sure if the Knicks instructed him not to lift weights but the dude looked exactly the same from his rookie season. He needs to become stronger if he wants to become better.

He can work with Michael Jordan and Patrick Ewing and it won't make a difference if he is not physically capable. He also needs to improve stamina and defensive positioning to avoid fouling as much.

Baby steps. Work on those things first and the rest will come along slowly.

Ask Ben Simmons how that worked out for him
Like I said earlier, Kareem was only 5lbs heavier and played against much better opponents
KP doesn't need to get swole, just work on his core

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Re: RE: Re: KP to workout with Dirk 

Post#124 » by whocares1 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:11 pm

K-DOT wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:Porzingis needs to gain muscle this offseason. As much as he can. He should be in the weight room all summer because last summer he did jack. I'm not sure if the Knicks instructed him not to lift weights but the dude looked exactly the same from his rookie season. He needs to become stronger if he wants to become better.

He can work with Michael Jordan and Patrick Ewing and it won't make a difference if he is not physically capable. He also needs to improve stamina and defensive positioning to avoid fouling as much.

Baby steps. Work on those things first and the rest will come along slowly.

Ask Ben Simmons how that worked out for him
Like I said earlier, Kareem was only 5lbs heavier and played against much better opponents
KP doesn't need to get swole, just work on his core

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

He should at least get cut. He doesn't have to bulk up. Just cut as **** like Giannis.
Hemispheres
Veteran
And1: 981

Post#125 » by Hemispheres » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:16 pm

Other than a few little tricks and words of wisdom Dirk might provide I always thought these X player works out with X mentor were bogus fluff hype pieces like Camby putting on 15 pounds of muscle every summer he was here. Otherwise you'd have a league of 30 Hakeem's going against each other every night. God knows he's trained every big man in the Association.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#126 » by NYKAL » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:36 pm

Hemispheres wrote:Other than a few little tricks and words of wisdom Dirk might provide I always thought these X player works out with X mentor were bogus fluff hype pieces like Camby putting on 15 pounds of muscle every summer he was here. Otherwise you'd have a league of 30 Hakeem's going against each other every night. God knows he's trained every big man in the Association.

Well Amare working with Hakeem DEFINITELY paid dividends. He would have been even MORE useless if he hadn't worked with Hakeem.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#127 » by F N 11 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:42 pm

If he learns how to just rise and use that height he will be amazing. Dirk had great footwork and a array of fade away moves. should be good for KP.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#128 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:01 pm

He would benefit much more from learning Hakeem's foot work and post game than dirks game but I'm happy he's working on his game at all

Dirks influence can't be a negative
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#129 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:33 pm

Dirk is known for his work ethic and heavy training throughout the years, so I see him as an ideal workout partner for a young player like KP.
pastis
Junior
And1: 84

Post#130 » by pastis » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:08 pm

Its hard to believe what i've just read in this thread about Dirk Nowitzki. To reduce him to a jump shooter is just absolute nonsense. Everyone who followed Dirks career closely would shake his head. DIrk Nowitzki was the full package in his prime between 2002-2011 and escially from 2004-2011. He had EVERYTHING in his repartoire and this as 7footer. Driving, Dunking, Post up, Post moves, Turn around, cross over, spinning, pump fake etc. pp. Im really shocked to hear this on realgm. I tell you what. If KP will have in HIS PRIME Dirks mobility and Post game at age 33 (2011) then he will be an ATG.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#131 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Dirk transformed the game and he was the best player in the world for a year or two at least

He relied on talent and craftiness over athleticism or strength.

There really isn't a bad part of this story
Paija
Junior
And1: 305

Post#132 » by Paija » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:16 pm

I believe Dirk is good role model for Kristaps. Kristaps can become much more skilled, but he will never be a mean guy - like Draymond kicking nuts or Lebron stepping over Draymond (and so changing whole series outcome). Warriors nice guys need Draymond and Knicks should find some mean player to play alongside Kristaps (and Melo who also is a nice guy).
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,196

Post#133 » by Wolfgang630 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:39 pm

So many people saying he should work with some other player not named Dirk is pathetic. Like Dirk is some scrub ass player all of a sudden. He carried a team to a championship and is one of a handful of players to score 30K. He has a move you see many young players are copying and would be great for KP in the post.
13ringsruling
Senior
And1: 264

Post#134 » by 13ringsruling » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:58 pm

literally lolling at "miami lost that series more than dallas won it"
miami blew a 15 point lead in under 7 minutes of game time.
dallas won that series, miami didnt lose it. dallas was the better team.
carlisle outcoached spoelstra. he basically laid the blueprint for the spurs.
hard double lebron in the post and let him shoot 22 footers the rest of the time.
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#135 » by EchelonNYK » Wed Apr 5, 2017 5:21 pm

Read on Twitter
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#136 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Apr 6, 2017 2:36 pm

NYKAL wrote:
Hemispheres wrote:Other than a few little tricks and words of wisdom Dirk might provide I always thought these X player works out with X mentor were bogus fluff hype pieces like Camby putting on 15 pounds of muscle every summer he was here. Otherwise you'd have a league of 30 Hakeem's going against each other every night. God knows he's trained every big man in the Association.

Well Amare working with Hakeem DEFINITELY paid dividends. He would have been even MORE useless if he hadn't worked with Hakeem.

I actually disagree but not based on him, based on trends in the nba. It's crazy to me that Amare was first bashed for using a very dumbed down game, basically pick and roll attack the rim. By the time Shaq got to the Suns he had added a jumpshot that extended out to 20ft but even still, when you look at other bigs he was considered lacking in post skills.

If I remember the whole Hakeem training started as he came to the Knicks and I'd argue he got pretty good at it, however the nba changed. Now all of a sudden post up Amare looked like a slow black hole.

But anyway, this post was less about Amare than it is to show that its really hard to compare players in different eras. Amares a great example cuz is not like we're talking a decade apart, more like a 3 yr span. In year one he's not ideal cuz he lacks a post game and by year 3 he's not ideal cuz he's got a post game. How's that happen?
BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Post#137 » by BKAY » Thu Apr 6, 2017 5:27 pm

Love me some Holger Geschwindner. Really under rated basketball mind. Very excited to have KP working with him this summer.
BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Post#138 » by BKAY » Thu Apr 6, 2017 5:28 pm

Return to New York Knicks