ImageImageImageImageImage

OT ** Chuck Berry dead at age 90....sad!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

DE FENSE
RealGM
And1: 2,629

Re: OT ** Chuck Berry dead at age 90....sad! 

Post#21 » by DE FENSE » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Greenie wrote:
DE FENSE wrote:
Greenie wrote:Real music huh?

Please don't turn this into a rap defense thread. Thanks in advance.

This is garbage. Respect all forms of art.

I could say metal isn't real music since that stuff sounds like noise to me. It would be false as all heck.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not music.

It just means you're not here for it.

I respect all forms of music. Just didn't want to see this thread get derailed.

On topic, this is one of my favorite Chuck Berry songs, having first been exposed to it on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack:

br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#22 » by br7knicks » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:05 pm

gavran wrote:
br7knicks wrote:Rest in Peace. as a guitarist, he is a guy i've learned a lot from. one of the absolute best. should be on the mount rushmore of guitarists.

You play as well?

yup. i do lead guitar. had a band in high school.

now i play with a band with older guys, so we play covers of metallica, black sabbath, alice in chains, etc.

i also play for the elementary school that i work at, haha.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#23 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:08 pm

I dunno if this is sad but rather a new appreciation of an artist that has been taken for granted.

I mean, the man lived a good long life defining music and changing the way we look/listen/appreciate the art form. Most mortals on this planet cannot claim 1/100th of his accomplishments. That's inspiring.

What have you done with your life?

The death of Chuck Berry makes me want to dig a little deeper, work a little harder, be a little better at something, ANYTHING in life.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,443

Post#24 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:26 pm

gavran wrote:
br7knicks wrote:Rest in Peace. as a guitarist, he is a guy i've learned a lot from. one of the absolute best. should be on the mount rushmore of guitarists.

You play as well?

You play too?

Tell me about your rigs. I got me a '52 Reissue Tele, a Gretsch 6120 and a Heritage semi-hollow; and a Ric 12-string along with a Vox AC15.

Getting back to Chuck, one of the most - if not THE most - influential guitarist in the history of rock and roll. Chuck's business dealings in the world of RnR were a little bit, um, different. He book his gigs for whenever/wherever but would insist on getting paid in cash UP FRONT and that the club would provide the back up that "knew" all of his music. The problem was that a lot of times, the story goes, that pull shyt on stage to see if he could screw up the band. If they did screw up, Chuck would stiff them on their take. But Chuck Berry was "Chuck Berry!" so the back-up bands would still take his gigs because they could say that they played with Chuck.

Chuck also had some bizarre fetishes that he got nailed for when a bunch of videotapes he had put out for trash got taken when the feds were investigating him for tax evasion. Oopsy. lol.

The thing about Chuck was not just his talent for playing the guitar (he was greatly influenced by T-Bone Walker and Charlie Christian) but his gift for lyrics. Those lyrics had a bounce and rhythm to them that has been mimicked a lot by other artists since. AND he was a great showman on stage.

Here's a clip of a young Chuck at the Newport Jazz Festival (1958) playing Sweet Little Sixteen (hmmm? ... lol). There will never be another Chuck.

Oh, and then there was the classic argument between Chuck and Keith Richards (who was once punched in the face by Chuck, lol) during rehearsal for Chuck's 60th birthday concert in his hometown of St. Louis, MO. Keith was soooooo pissed at him. :lol:

https://vimeo.com/18623223
Jim Dolan
Starter
And1: 470

Post#25 » by Jim Dolan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:40 pm

^^

Chuck was an interesting guy. Definitely a genius but also very eccentric. Most people know the stories of Chuck punching Keith Richards. He also refused to do encores and was generally hard to deal with in his old age. Most attribute this to him being ripped off by executives early in his career. Its a shame he was not awarded the Medal of Freedom by President Obama, like Bob Dylan. Heck, Dylan won a Nobel prize ffs.

favorite chuck tracks: Nadine, Brown Eyed Handsome Man
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#26 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:50 pm

Jim Dolan wrote:^^

Chuck was an interesting guy. Definitely a genius but also very eccentric. Most people know the stories of Chuck punching Keith Richards. He also refused to do encores and was generally hard to deal with in his old age. Most attribute this to him being ripped off by executives early in his career. Its a shame he was not awarded the Medal of Freedom by President Obama, like Bob Dylan. Heck, Dylan won a Nobel prize ffs.

favorite chuck tracks: Nadine, Brown Eyed Handsome Man

Good post. No doubt the record companies were notorious for ripping off a lot of the musicians back then and they ruined a lot of lives. LOVE Nadine. That's a great example of those syncopated lyrics Chuck would write to his music. No Particular Place To Go; Dear Dad; Sweet Little Rock and Roller; Come On; Living in the USA; Monkey Business are some of my favorites (off the top of my head).
br7knicks

Post#27 » by br7knicks » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:20 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
gavran wrote:

You play as well?

You play too?

Tell me about your rigs. I got me a '52 Reissue Tele, a Gretsch 6120 and a Heritage semi-hollow; and a Ric 12-string along with a Vox AC15.

Getting back to Chuck, one of the most - if not THE most - influential guitarist in the history of rock and roll. Chuck's business dealings in the world of RnR were a little bit, um, different. He book his gigs for whenever/wherever but would insist on getting paid in cash UP FRONT and that the club would provide the back up that "knew" all of his music. The problem was that a lot of times, the story goes, that pull shyt on stage to see if he could screw up the band. If they did screw up, Chuck would stiff them on their take. But Chuck Berry was "Chuck Berry!" so the back-up bands would still take his gigs because they could say that they played with Chuck.

Chuck also had some bizarre fetishes that he got nailed for when a bunch of videotapes he had put out for trash got taken when the feds were investigating him for tax evasion. Oopsy. lol.

The thing about Chuck was not just his talent for playing the guitar (he was greatly influenced by T-Bone Walker and Charlie Christian) but his gift for lyrics. Those lyrics had a bounce and rhythm to them that has been mimicked a lot by other artists since. AND he was a great showman on stage.

Here's a clip of a young Chuck at the Newport Jazz Festival (1958) playing Sweet Little Sixteen (hmmm? ... lol). There will never be another Chuck.

Oh, and then there was the classic argument between Chuck and Keith Richards (who was once punched in the face by Chuck, lol) during rehearsal for Chuck's 60th birthday concert in his hometown of St. Louis, MO. Keith was soooooo pissed at him. :lol:

https://vimeo.com/18623223

Agreed. That's why I feel he belongs on the Mount Rushmore of rock guitarists. He was essentially the godfather of blues rock. He followed those patotonic scales like a king. Master of that art. He and Toni iommi paved the way
RIP, magnumt '19

br7knicks

Post#28 » by br7knicks » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:22 am

I have

Jackson v wing
Jackson Kelly Explorer (my baby. Before Jackson company used crappy material for body and neck).
Gibson SG (iommi body)
Gibson epiphone
RIP, magnumt '19

gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,236

Post#29 » by gavran » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:31 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
gavran wrote:

You play as well?

You play too?

I actually started playing recently after years of thinking it was way too late to start, so i only have an acoustic, and saving some for a Les Paul.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#30 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:50 pm

gavran wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
gavran wrote:You play as well?

You play too?

I actually started playing recently after years of thinking it was way too late to start, so i only have an acoustic, and saving some for a Les Paul.

Congrats for jumping into the water. Looks like you got the bug. Les Pauls are great guitars. Some people complain about the quality of the guitars coming out of the new Gibson plant though I'm sure it would be fine for your purposes. But you might also want to check out the guitars being made out of the old Gibson plant in Kalamazoo Michigan where many of the old school Gibson employees stayed and started their own company, Heritage Guitars. They also make a Les Paul model as well os others. I have a Heritage semi-hollow body and love it. But I understand if you want a Gibson.

https://heritageguitar.com
gavran
RealGM

Post#31 » by gavran » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:35 pm

All I can afford is an Epiphone Les Paul, I'm not even looking at Gibsons TBH. :D
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,571

Post#32 » by Capn'O » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:12 pm

Respek to the King of Rock.

My personal fave:

I'm a sucker for songs listing geographic locations.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,571

Post#33 » by Capn'O » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:16 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
gavran wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
You play too?

Congrats for jumping into the water. Looks like you got the bug. Les Pauls are great guitars. Some people complain about the quality of the guitars coming out of the new Gibson plant though I'm sure it would be fine for your purposes. But you might also want to check out the guitars being made out of the old Gibson plant in Kalamazoo Michigan where many of the old school Gibson employees stayed and started their own company, Heritage Guitars. They also make a Les Paul model as well os others. I have a Heritage semi-hollow body and love it. But I understand if you want a Gibson.

A real life Nigel Tufnel

"Nigel Tufnel: The sustain, listen to it.
Marty DiBergi: I don't hear anything.
Nigel Tufnel: Well you would though, if it were playing."
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#34 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:16 pm

gavran wrote:All I can afford is an Epiphone Les Paul, I'm not even looking at Gibsons TBH. :D

Hey, not a bad way to go at all especially for your first electric. Make sure the guitar stays in tune after you test play it. You also may want to check out used gear that you can get a good/great deal on. Reverb.com is the most reputable site for used equipment. They have everything.

What style of music are you into playing?
gavran
RealGM

Post#35 » by gavran » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:30 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
gavran wrote:All I can afford is an Epiphone Les Paul, I'm not even looking at Gibsons TBH. :D

Hey, not a bad way to go at all especially for your first electric. Make sure the guitar stays in tune after you test play it. You also may want to check out used gear that you can get a good/great deal on. Reverb.com is the most reputable site for used equipment. They have everything.

Thanks for the suggestion, but living in Central Europe, these options aren't available for me. I'm most interested in blues/blusey rock. Just like Chuck or B.B.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#36 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:39 pm

Capn'O wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
gavran wrote:I actually started playing recently after years of thinking it was way too late to start, so i only have an acoustic, and saving some for a Les Paul.

A real life Nigel Tufnel

"Nigel Tufnel: The sustain, listen to it.
Marty DiBergi: I don't hear anything.
Nigel Tufnel: Well you would though, if it were playing."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

One of the great lines from that segment.

Here's another:

Nigel Tufnel: Look... still has the old tag on, never even played it.
Marty DiBergi: [points his finger] You've never played...?
Nigel Tufnel: Don't touch it!
Marty DiBergi: We'll I wasn't going to touch it, I was just pointing at it.
Nigel Tufnel: Well... don't point! It can't be played.
Marty DiBergi: Don't point, okay. Can I look at it?
Nigel Tufnel: No. no. That's it, you've seen enough of that one.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#37 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:40 pm

gavran wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but living in Central Europe, these options aren't available for me. I'm most interested in blues/blusey rock. Just like Chuck or B.B.

Cool! Have at it brother. I love that music too. Try and get a tube amp to go with it.
SoCalKnickFan
Rookie
And1: 325

Post#38 » by SoCalKnickFan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:58 pm

We need a video of Chuck duck walking across the stage! Great entertainer on top of musician. I was a little kid in Catholic school when MY DING A LING hit the air. Difference between that Gibson and Epi Les Paul is not big. Get a good setup on the Epi and you'll barely know the diff. Tons of good used gear on Craigslist and eBay. So many people take it up and quit. I play mostly prewar blues on resonator guitars. Lots of slide. Open G and D on old Nationals. Robert Johnson, Blind Willie Johnson, Blind Willie McTell on 12 string.
Fingerpicking on a 1936 Gibson L-00. Never did much strumming w a flat pick. Never too late to learn. Like learning to type. Repetition. Almost any song you like will have a handful of people on youtube teaching it. Must be a dozen Johnny B Goode tutorials. RIP Chuck, can't ask for much more than living 90 years and being famous!
SoCalKnickFan
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,145

Post#39 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:54 pm

SoCalKnickFan wrote:We need a video of Chuck duck walking across the stage! Great entertainer on top of musician. I was a little kid in Catholic school when MY DING A LING hit the air. Difference between that Gibson and Epi Les Paul is not big. Get a good setup on the Epi and you'll barely know the diff. Tons of good used gear on Craigslist and eBay. So many people take it up and quit. I play mostly prewar blues on resonator guitars. Lots of slide. Open G and D on old Nationals. Robert Johnson, Blind Willie Johnson, Blind Willie McTell on 12 string.
Fingerpicking on a 1936 Gibson L-00. Never did much strumming w a flat pick. Never too late to learn. Like learning to type. Repetition. Almost any song you like will have a handful of people on youtube teaching it. Must be a dozen Johnny B Goode tutorials. RIP Chuck, can't ask for much more than living 90 years and being famous!

Ask and you shall receive:

Also, you like fingerpicking blues? I never pass up an opportunity to promote one of my all time favorites:

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#40 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:06 am

SoCalKnickFan wrote:We need a video of Chuck duck walking across the stage! Great entertainer on top of musician. I was a little kid in Catholic school when MY DING A LING hit the air. Difference between that Gibson and Epi Les Paul is not big. Get a good setup on the Epi and you'll barely know the diff. Tons of good used gear on Craigslist and eBay. So many people take it up and quit. I play mostly prewar blues on resonator guitars. Lots of slide. Open G and D on old Nationals. Robert Johnson, Blind Willie Johnson, Blind Willie McTell on 12 string.

My man! I grew up on Delta blues, Rev. Gary Davis/Hot Tuna. I need to bone up on my slide playing which is pretty basic. Love Ry Cooder and Bonnie Raitt's slide playing.

I agree with you about the Epi and the LP, though I would go with a Tele instead. :D

Return to New York Knicks