Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

genius-
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,173

Re: Should One-and-Done Be Changed to Two Years? 

Post#21 » by genius- » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:37 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:There's no need to help the NCAA rip off even more athletes. I wish more athletes went to Europe over playing with the NCAA.

this.
HotTubMike
Veteran
And1: 4,166

Post#22 » by HotTubMike » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:44 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:There's no need to help the NCAA rip off even more athletes. I wish more athletes went to Europe over playing with the NCAA.

I disagree in that, if you are voluntarily taking part in a system knowing there are viable alternatives out there, you're not being "ripped off."

There are lots of basketball leagues around the world that will pay an 18 year old money to play there if they are good enough. Nobody is making anyone play NCAA basketball...

The NCAA and Football is a different issue though.
Stadium5
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,556

Post#23 » by Stadium5 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:46 pm

1 year of college is a joke. They pretend the kids are getting an education, when in reality its strictly exploiting talented kids to generate money and marketing for the school. Many aren't ready for the big leagues yet, but they should have the choice at least.

I couldn't imagine being the next LeBron James that comes along, is forced to play a year in college..and then suffers a Shaun Livingston type injury in school. That would be complete bull for the player and his family. If someone is gifted enough to go straight to the pros and make millions, more power to them
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#24 » by youngcrev » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:49 pm

I say yes. Switch it 2 or even 3 years. BUT pay the student athletes.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#25 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:52 pm

Nah, let them draft when they want and make sure the DLeague pays them more.

NCAA is a revenue raising machine that doesnt need or deserve any more support. European teams will not easily take a chance on a raw teenager either.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,070

Post#26 » by tidho » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:57 pm

Doesn't make sense to force them to stay in school when some don't want to be there to begin with. Maybe the solution is to make it easier for teams to send guys to the d-league and keep them there until they're actually ready for the NBA.

Maybe they could add a provision to the CBA so that teams can stash a guy for up to a year in the d-league at a reduced salary. Then they become restricted free agents or something if the team isn't ready to commit to the full contract.

That takes a lot of the guessing away from teams, and puts a better product on the court.
BucksPackers
Analyst
And1: 599

Post#27 » by BucksPackers » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:03 pm

NCAA isn't paying players so you can't make people stay. If they would pay these guys then yes make it 2 years.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,700

Post#28 » by Warriorfan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Should be straight out of high school they can go pro or 4 yrs to honor their free education. College basketball will have less stars but team oriented
More will wash out without lucrative contracts play in Europe or D League.

Plus scholarship is not open until student retires for basketball. Plus part of scholarship should be insurance for injury.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,462

Post#29 » by Saints14 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:15 pm

Get rid of one-and-done altogether. Plenty of players are talented enough to play in the league straight out of HS, and if they aren't, then they still get a fat paycheck from the team that drafted them. College ball would be better without so much turnover of the top players every year
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#30 » by HurricaneKid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:23 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
Ripp wrote:The NCAA cabal already is exploiting athletes enough, no reason to allow them to extract more undeserved revenue from them

See, I dont think it does. You make the rule that if you go to college, you will not be eligible to be drafted until after your sophomore year. This still allows players to go to the D-League, Europe, or straight out of highschool. To me, this will make the D-League far more interesting, allow generational talents to leave after highschool, and college basketball to be higher quality in regards to team defense, ball movement, etc.

Except, of course, that you can't. The real reason they haven't gone to 2 years is that they could easily lose an age discrimination challenge in a number of states (NY, for example). That's a REALLY bad look for a league that has long championed its players.

I'd like to make an arbitrary rule that blocks you from doing what you are good at for 2 years so you could see how absurd it is to make such demands of others.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#31 » by pcbothwel » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:37 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
Ripp wrote:The NCAA cabal already is exploiting athletes enough, no reason to allow them to extract more undeserved revenue from them

See, I dont think it does. You make the rule that if you go to college, you will not be eligible to be drafted until after your sophomore year. This still allows players to go to the D-League, Europe, or straight out of highschool. To me, this will make the D-League far more interesting, allow generational talents to leave after highschool, and college basketball to be higher quality in regards to team defense, ball movement, etc.

Except, of course, that you can't. The real reason they haven't gone to 2 years is that they could easily lose an age discrimination challenge in a number of states (NY, for example). That's a REALLY bad look for a league that has long championed its players.

I'd like to make an arbitrary rule that blocks you from doing what you are good at for 2 years so you could see how absurd it is to make such demands of others.

I dont get why there would be an issue. Players would be allowed to go wherever they like after HS, including the NBA. The only caveat would be, if you go to college, you cant be in the draft until after your sophomore year. So if you elect to go to college, but then want to leave after you Freshman year. You're welcome to play in the D-League or Europe for a year until the following year.

Again, every league get better talent (NBA and D-League), while slight reduction in talent to the NCAA is mitigated by better quality basketball.
immortalone23
Bench Warmer
And1: 416

Post#32 » by immortalone23 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:39 pm

why don't 4 year players dominate the nba more if they're so "nba ready?"
"what am I going to do with all these picks? :lol:
lamscott
Analyst
And1: 3,036

Post#33 » by lamscott » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:41 pm

You should not have to go to college as a stepping stone to the NBA.

The "not ready" argument is useless if there is a market for young players.

YOU are messing with people's livelihoods and forcing your ideas on how a person or a child can make money. That.. is unamerican.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#34 » by Rapcity_11 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:45 pm

Tiesto_Lakers wrote:Guys like Draymond Green and Damian Lillard are great examples. Even Steph Curry.

None of those guys would be who they are if they didn't develop in College.

Why can't they still develop in College?
HurricaneKid
General Manager

Post#35 » by HurricaneKid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:45 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

I dont get why there would be an issue. Players would be allowed to go wherever they like after HS, including the NBA. The only caveat would be, if you go to college, you cant be in the draft until after your sophomore year. So if you elect to go to college, but then want to leave after you Freshman year. You're welcome to play in the D-League or Europe for a year until the following year.

Again, every league get better talent (NBA and D-League), while slight reduction in talent to the NCAA is mitigated by better quality basketball.

Well the NBA isn't going back to HS kids until a court makes them. And if a kid blows the doors off NCAA comp and wants to leave to the NBA and the NBA wants him he should be able to go. Especially given that coaches are essentially paid for recruiting players and they can leave with 6 years left on their contracts.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#36 » by Rapcity_11 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:47 pm

Also, the idea that College is a better place to develop basketball skills is based on what?
HurricaneKid
General Manager

Post#37 » by HurricaneKid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:52 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Tiesto_Lakers wrote:Guys like Draymond Green and Damian Lillard are great examples. Even Steph Curry.

When you are young your game needs development. You can do that in college where you have massive numbers of hours dedicated to class, homework, studying, booster events, when your practice time is literally legally limited, or you can learn with the best trainers in the world working one on one to improve your game while dietitians plan your meals, playing against the best competition the world has to offer while making 1M+ per season guaranteed.

Its no wonder why even the best college players just get further and further behind developmentally to the guys developing in the NBA.

Literally, the longer you stay in college the further behind you are. Which isn't to say there aren't exceptions to the rule. Just that there is a RULE.
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#38 » by Rapcity_11 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:55 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

When you are young your game needs development. You can do that in college where you have massive numbers of hours dedicated to class, homework, studying, booster events, when your practice time is literally legally limited, or you can learn with the best trainers in the world working one on one to improve your game while dietitians plan your meals, playing against the best competition the world has to offer while making 1M+ per season guaranteed.

Its no wonder why even the best college players just get further and further behind developmentally to the guys developing in the NBA.

Literally, the longer you stay in college the further behind you are. Which isn't to say there aren't exceptions to the rule. Just that there is a RULE.

Yup, I agree.

My point was nobody would be forcing guys NOT to go to or stay in college.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#39 » by pcbothwel » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:00 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

The problem is that nowadays these kids are getting worshiped at 15 on AAU teams. The difference between that and the NBA lifestyle is huge. These kids dont have the life skills necessary to be professionals (In general). A lot of highly recruited players have made statements about how their college experience, if even for 1 year, helped them prepare for the demanding schedule and professionalism required in the NBA.
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#40 » by Throwback24 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:06 pm

Yes it should be changed back to letting HS players declare. The NCAA is exploiting these young athletes, use the G-league as a farm system and forego collegiate basketball altogether.

Garbage product. And why do people think NBA teams don't have more resources to help young athletes develop? They'd have more time to work on mastering their craft instead of faking the funk with this 'I'm getting a valued education' BS colleges feed people.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.

Return to The General Board