ImageImage

Better "now" then last year?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,405

Re: Better "now" then last year? 

Post#21 » by Blazinaway » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:13 am

zzaj wrote:Last year the average age of the team was 24.3, which had them at 3rd youngest. With the Mason/Nurkic trade they are now at 24.7, which is the youngest team in the league.

I don't know if I'd call the post-Nurkic team 'better' than last year, but I am a lot more excited about the Center position. Having a high BBIQ, two-way player at 22 years old that is top 5 in blocks, steals and assists, and is a double-double threat every night widens the 'window' for team success, IMO.

I would like the Blazers to draft players that can fill the holes left by trading any of:

Meyers -- Zach Collins, if he declares. Barring that, Justin Patton or Pasecniks (who I think is a sleeper).
Crabbe -- Mikal Bridges
Turner -- Mikal Bridges
Aminu/Harkless -- Josh Jackson, Jonathan Isaac, OG Anunoby (first two ain't gonna happen).
Davis -- Motley, Swanigan, Adebayo
Napier -- Ntilikina

My realistic wishlist is: Zach Collins, Ntilikina & Bridges, after figuring out a way to jettison Meyers and Turner (which probably can't happen).

Lillard/Ntilikina
CJ/Crabbe/Bridges
Harkless/Aminu/Bridges
Vonleh/Davis/Aminu
Nurkic/Collins

I have been on Zach Collins for 2-3 weeks now, if he declares he is IMO the best big prospect in the draft and could be our of our reach if we get the 16 pick - might have to trade up using the Mem or Cle pick

I'd love to draft a bonafide, starter+ level talent at PF but I don't think there are any in this draft. The NBA PF position is really in flux right now. Bruising guys like Motley, Swanigan and Adebayo will be torched by stretch 4s and don't bring enough offensive firepower to dominate on the other side of the ball...like Davis or Biyombo.

A lot of people are high on Markkanen, but he's going to be a serious net negative on defense. Oregon simply switched on him defensively and it completely shut him down. No way he ends up a starter in the NBA, IMO.

Zach Collins is the real deal on both sides of the ball...the only C in this draft worth serious investment, IMO. He'll probably stay in school though and be a top 10 pick next year.

The point of my post is that I think this is a transitional year. I think NEXT year's team will be more well-rounded and consistently better than last year's team...depending on how they draft.

I have been on Zach Collins for 2-3 weeks now, if he declares he is IMO the best big prospect in the draft and could be our of our reach if we get the 16 pick - might have to trade up using the Mem or Cle pick
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,519

Post#22 » by zzaj » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:28 am

Blazinaway wrote:
zzaj wrote:Last year the average age of the team was 24.3, which had them at 3rd youngest. With the Mason/Nurkic trade they are now at 24.7, which is the youngest team in the league.

I don't know if I'd call the post-Nurkic team 'better' than last year, but I am a lot more excited about the Center position. Having a high BBIQ, two-way player at 22 years old that is top 5 in blocks, steals and assists, and is a double-double threat every night widens the 'window' for team success, IMO.

I would like the Blazers to draft players that can fill the holes left by trading any of:

Meyers -- Zach Collins, if he declares. Barring that, Justin Patton or Pasecniks (who I think is a sleeper).
Crabbe -- Mikal Bridges
Turner -- Mikal Bridges
Aminu/Harkless -- Josh Jackson, Jonathan Isaac, OG Anunoby (first two ain't gonna happen).
Napier -- Ntilikina

My realistic wishlist is: Zach Collins, Ntilikina & Bridges, after figuring out a way to jettison Meyers and Turner (which probably can't happen).

Lillard/Ntilikina
CJ/Crabbe/Bridges
Harkless/Aminu/Bridges
Vonleh/Davis/Aminu
Nurkic/Collins

I'd love to draft a bonafide, starter+ level talent at PF but I don't think there are any in this draft. The NBA PF position is really in flux right now. Bruising guys like Motley, Swanigan and Adebayo will be torched by stretch 4s and don't bring enough offensive firepower to dominate on the other side of the ball...like Davis or Biyombo.

A lot of people are high on Markkanen, but he's going to be a serious net negative on defense. Oregon simply switched on him defensively and it completely shut him down. No way he ends up a starter in the NBA, IMO.

Zach Collins is the real deal on both sides of the ball...the only C in this draft worth serious investment, IMO. He'll probably stay in school though and be a top 10 pick next year.

The point of my post is that I think this is a transitional year. I think NEXT year's team will be more well-rounded and consistently better than last year's team...depending on how they draft.

Blazinaway, you are taking this quoting yourself thing to a whole new level by inserting your quote into my post! lol
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,405

Post#23 » by Blazinaway » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:56 pm

zzaj wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:

Crabbe -- Mikal Bridges
Turner -- Mikal Bridges
Napier -- Ntilikina

Lillard/Ntilikina
CJ/Crabbe/Bridges
Harkless/Aminu/Bridges
Vonleh/Davis/Aminu
Nurkic/Collins

Blazinaway, you are taking this quoting yourself thing to a whole new level by inserting your quote into my post! lol

LMAO, yes I getting am quite good at that (and old) it seems!

Return to Portland Trail Blazers