3/20 | Monday Game Thread | NBA on TNT

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Game of the Night

UTA at IND
4%
ATL at CHA
2%
WAS at BOS
34%
DEN at HOU
6%
GSW at OKC
51%
Other (specify below)
4%

Total votes: 53

RRFB
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,247

Re: 3/20 | Monday Game Thread | NBA on TNT 

Post#221 » by RRFB » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:50 am

Michael Malone completely botched a sideline out of bounds play, with the game on the line, in two consecutive games. His late game decision making is absolutely awful.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,691

Post#222 » by DowJones » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:50 am

Flash Falcon X wrote:Really hope Curry can stay healthy in the Playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Was he healthy in 2015?
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Re: RE: Re: 3/20 | Monday Game Thread | NBA on TNT 

Post#223 » by K_chile22 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:54 am

Coxy wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hate to nitpick, but that looked like an offensive holding foul on Nene.

Oh it 100% was lol
vet move, they will never call that in that situation
xsatyr01
Freshman
And1: 44

Post#224 » by xsatyr01 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:56 am

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
xsatyr01 wrote:
samfisher83 wrote:Denver played some terrible D at the end. I don't know why refs give harden FTs when Harden comes off the screen and just throws up a 3.

Bc they are fouling... He shoots threes when he comes off the screen quite a bit. Are refs suppose to let defenders hand-check him when they are fighting through screens to prevent him from shooting??? The fact is defenders need to stop reaching bc it's foul.

Yes, but they are not doing that. It's not handchecking if Harden shots/throws arms into them

Bs... they are putting their hands on him or reaching in over his arm. After that he just raises up.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#225 » by K_chile22 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:57 am

xsatyr01 wrote:
Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
xsatyr01 wrote:
Bc they are fouling... He shoots threes when he comes off the screen quite a bit. Are refs suppose to let defenders hand-check him when they are fighting through screens to prevent him from shooting??? The fact is defenders need to stop reaching bc it's foul.

Yes, but they are not doing that. It's not handchecking if Harden shots/throws arms into them

Bs... they are putting their hands on him or reaching in over his arm. After that he just raises up.

Yup, the argument should be "these need to be called as on the floor fouls, not shooting fouls" not "these aren't fouls at all". I can understand the 1st argument, but the second is just because Harden isn't on their team lol
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#226 » by BallerTalk » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:59 am

samfisher83 wrote:Denver played some terrible D at the end. I don't know why refs give harden FTs when Harden comes off the screen and just throws up a 3.

I've said it before, I'll say it again; James Harden has mastered the art of exploiting undisciplined defenders.
Too many defenders like to push and grab their way through screens instead of using their feet. Harden uses that against them.
These youngsters better get some Shane Batttier tapes. :lol:

"You reach, I teach." - The BEARD of Education
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
xsatyr01
Freshman

Post#227 » by xsatyr01 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:01 am

K_chile22 wrote:
xsatyr01 wrote:
Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:Yes, but they are not doing that. It's not handchecking if Harden shots/throws arms into them

Yup, the argument should be "these need to be called as on the floor fouls, not shooting fouls" not "these aren't fouls at all". I can understand the 1st argument, but the second is just because Harden isn't on their team lol

The thing is that it's not like a rip through move where the defender has their hand to the offensive player's side. They call that on the floor bc it's not a natural shooting motion to sway your hands to the side to create contact. Harden is raising straight up on those fouls though, natural shooting motion.

I have no problem if people want to complain about that arm bar move he does on drives. Although he doesn't do that as much this season.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#228 » by Roy The Natural » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:05 am

K_chile22 wrote:
xsatyr01 wrote:
Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:Yes, but they are not doing that. It's not handchecking if Harden shots/throws arms into them

I didn't watch the game, but I must admit that the NBA has troublingly begun to lax it's interpretation of the classic "ripthrough"... I've seen multiple times this year where players rip through a defenders arm to go up for a shot and it was rewarded with free throws. Those calls are incredibly lame and absolute game killers when they're rewarded with free throws. I think the NBA really needs to try to avoid free throws as best they can when it comes to a shooter. Reward players for attacking the rim, not jumpshooting.

I'd also move to make fouls on follow throughs side outs. If the ball has left a players hand, nothing that happens after that point will changes the trajectory of the ball, I want player safety to be paramount so it is still a foul, but it would be nice to nip the flop shooting happening all over the league in the butt.

xsatyr01 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
xsatyr01 wrote:

The thing is that it's not like a rip through move where the defender has their hand to the offensive player's side. They call that on the floor bc it's not a natural shooting motion to sway your hands to the side to create contact. Harden is raising straight up on those fouls though, natural shooting motion.

I have no problem if people want to complain about that arm bar move he does on drives. Although he doesn't do that as much this season.

It's the same premise, and it's boring basketball. I wouldn't ask them not to call it, because it is a foul. I would however suggest that revisions should be made to incorporate the motion into the same ruleset as the ripthrough. It's not fun basketball, and it's annoying as ****.

I think it's high tide that the NBA started to ACTUALLY enforce fouls on offensive players for their shanningans as well. Leg kicks need to be called all the time, and they should be tech's, under the unnatural basketball move section. Flopping needs to be a tech as well, and encouraged to be called. You can call a flop, and within some guidelines you may review it. This has nothing to do with Harden for me, I want to make that clear, but I think it's time to change some of the way the game is being officiated.

I can't be the only one tired of seeing jumpshooters attempting to do the splits after each shot, and purposefully falling over... or driving to the bucket and headwhipping and falling on purpose.
xsatyr01
Freshman

Post#229 » by xsatyr01 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:07 am

Roy The Natural wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
xsatyr01 wrote:

I didn't watch the game, but I must admit that the NBA has troublingly begun to lax it's interpretation of the classic "ripthrough"... I've seen multiple times this year where players rip through a defenders arm to go up for a shot and it was rewarded with free throws. Those calls are incredibly lame and absolute game killers when they're rewarded with free throws. I think the NBA really needs to try to avoid free throws as best they can when it comes to a shooter. Reward players for attacking the rim, not jumpshooting.

I'd also move to make fouls on follow throughs side outs. If the ball has left a players hand, nothing that happens after that point will changes the trajectory of the ball, I want player safety to be paramount so it is still a foul, but it would be nice to nip the flop shooting happening all over the league in the butt.

What kind of rip through move? The one where an offensive player shoots by moving his arms to the side to create contact or just raising straight up after a defender reaches in?
ChiCityHoops34
Sixth Man
And1: 1,796

Post#230 » by ChiCityHoops34 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:12 am

"ohhhhhhhhh'

KG everytime anyone says anything.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#231 » by pelifan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:14 am

you forget how tall NBA players are sometimes. Kevin Garnett totally dwarfs Larry Fitzgerald. KG looks a clear 7'1" to me.
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#232 » by Roy The Natural » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:15 am

xsatyr01 wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:Yup, the argument should be "these need to be called as on the floor fouls, not shooting fouls" not "these aren't fouls at all". I can understand the 1st argument, but the second is just because Harden isn't on their team lol

What kind of rip through move? The one where an offensive player shoots by moving his arms to the side to create contact or just raising straight up after a defender reaches in?

Bringing their arm from the side, to under the defenders arms and then straight up... all in one extremely rapid motion. It may not technically be a ripthrought, but it should be... and the NBA should change it this offseason. No one wants to see these faux fouls pulling free throws. I have no problem with Harden's FTr, I hate watching his aesthetically ugly game, but the guy earns most of his free throws. This is just my overall issues with the NBA letting WAY too many shooters get away with murder, while completely **** the defender.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,859

Post#233 » by 510TWSS » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:26 am

BallerTalk wrote:

I've said it before, I'll say it again; James harden has mastered the art of exploiting undisciplined defenders.
Too many defenders like to push and grab their way through screens instead of using their feet. Harden uses that against them.

Or Kawhi, that dude can reach for days and still be in perfect position to D you up.
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,011

Post#234 » by rockmanslim » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:34 am

Shaq needs to put himself on Shaqtin' a Fool for this!

Read on Twitter
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#235 » by BallerTalk » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:43 am

510TWSS wrote:
BallerTalk wrote:

I've said it before, I'll say it again; James harden has mastered the art of exploiting undisciplined defenders.

Or Kawhi, that dude can reach for days and still be in perfect position to D you up.

True.
Plus he has awesome footwork on the defensive end. He's great at crowding shooters on the screen and forcing them into uncomfortable situations.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#236 » by andrewww » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:47 am

Griffin is such a frustrating player to watch sometimes. He's a good all around player but absolutely not quite elite at any one skillset imo. An average shooter and defender, but at times a poor decision maker.
xsatyr01
Freshman

Post#237 » by xsatyr01 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:53 am

Roy The Natural wrote:It's the same premise, and it's boring basketball. I wouldn't ask them not to call it, because it is a foul. I would however suggest that revisions should be made to incorporate the motion into the same ruleset as the ripthrough. It's not fun basketball, and it's annoying as ****.

I think it's high tide that the NBA started to ACTUALLY enforce fouls on offensive players for their shanningans as well. Leg kicks need to be called all the time, and they should be tech's, under the unnatural basketball move section. Flopping needs to be a tech as well, and encouraged to be called. You can call a flop, and within some guidelines you may review it. This has nothing to do with Harden for me, I want to make that clear, but I think it's time to change some of the way the game is being officiated.

I can't be the only one tired of seeing jumpshooters attempting to do the splits after each shot, and purposefully falling over... or driving to the bucket and headwhipping and falling on purpose.

It's not the same premise though bc offensive players are entitled to that space when they raise up and shoot. Unlike a rip through move which is unnatural. The NBA apparently agrees. If you had it your way then defenders will always keep their hands above a shooter's shooting motion to not allow them to shoot. So agree to disagree.
bigpimpatl
Veteran
And1: 1,213

Post#238 » by bigpimpatl » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:09 am

Lisa Leslie looks great for 45 :D
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#239 » by RaptorsLife » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:15 am

Blake struggles so much against finishing over length