How should Silver deal with healthy scratches?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,026

Re: How should Silver deal with healthy scratches? 

Post#161 » by heatwillbeback » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:07 am

Mr. E wrote:DNP - Tightness in the back/back spasms.

Prove it, Mr. Silver!

Pretty much. And these could happen the day of, so this ample warning thing has no bite.

Im fine with the NBA trying to protect its product, but its not going to work when the numbers show rest is beneficial.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#162 » by theGreatRC » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:10 am

Nothing will change.

Instead of "resting" players, now teams will just say "sore ankle" "tightness" or any easy injury excuse to not play a guy.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,953

Post#163 » by chitownsports4ever » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:19 am

Prove it, Mr. Silver!

He doesn't have to prove anything and hes not going after the players hes going after management directly through the owners.

The only argument he needs is that the networks are gonna demand provisions put into place that reduce one of that multi billion dollar payouts based on star players being no shows . They will not want it to get to that point .
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
bs_and_cs
Analyst
And1: 2,843

Post#164 » by bs_and_cs » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:19 am

I'll never feel bad for these drama queens, at least until the 45 year old Jaromir Jagr doesn't go 71 for 71 in GPs played.

disclaimer: this is mostly sarcastic, Jagr is a savage human being
bs_and_cs
Analyst
And1: 2,843

Post#165 » by bs_and_cs » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:22 am

Prove it, Mr. Silver!

I don't think the issue is 1 guy missing a game to rest a bit on the guise of "soreness." This has been happening in sports forever and no one has cared.

The issue is teams decided to rest their entire starting lineups during one game. This is a new trend (only in the NBA) and it is affecting the actual product on the floor.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,877
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#166 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:40 am

What if guys play and get "injured" on the first possession?

This is a stupid thing to whine over. When you buy tickets you never know what you might get.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,843

Post#167 » by Shock Defeat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:48 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:What if guys play and get "injured" on the first possession?

This is a stupid thing to whine over. When you buy tickets you never know what you might get.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

and that's why the NBA will lose money and the players/owners will complain that their next TV deal isn't as big as the current one.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,760

Post#168 » by XtremeDunkz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:09 am

**** is so soft. People work construction 10 hours a day 6 days a week for years and years for a fraction of the pay. "Rest". Get that soft crap outta here.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Kmartshopper
Sophomore
And1: 109

Post#169 » by Kmartshopper » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:36 am

How about replacing rest with restricted minutes. Fans won't be much happier but the optics are much better. Oh, and no matcha chai lattes on the sidelines.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#170 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:55 am

theGreatRC wrote:Nothing will change.

Instead of "resting" players, now teams will just say "sore ankle" "tightness" or any easy injury excuse to not play a guy.

You got try few gimmicks and give them too many chances ..... Its a players league. 51%. Then bring the hammer down.
Skeezo
Analyst
And1: 2,737

Post#171 » by Skeezo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:16 am

Expand League by Two Teams (Seattle/Vancouver bring back the NorthWest): Players Union likes this more salaries, and the league makes up some additional revenue/games from being in two more markets...

32 Teams:

Cut schedules by about 6-8 which will ease about 2 weeks worth of scheduling that will help take away B2B and 4 in 5 nights...

Increase playoffs to 20 teams with 12 teams falling to the lottery (even out the odds a little bit more, to make tanking a little bit less favorable)...

Top 6 teams in each conference get about 5-6 days rest while the 7-10 seeds in each conference play a best 2 of 3 to see who moves on to play Top Two seeds in the East/West... Gives teams incentive to make it in Top 6

The extra round of playoff ball could help recoup some of the lost revenue from the 6-8 game shortened season. More young, upcoming inexperienced teams have a chance to make an appearance in the playoffs/national tv and make it past the wildcard round before likely bowing out to a 1st-2nd seed in the best of sevens start. This may provide more incentive for those teams to push forward at the end and make different decisions at the trade deadline to make playoffs rather than tank.

Just some thoughts... Either that or players/owners take the losses by playing less games... Stop expecting fans to pay premium dollars for a non-superior product.
9Rodman1
Freshman
And1: 136

Post#172 » by 9Rodman1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:23 am

It's no surprise all this bull (soft all star games, major flopping, colluding and now 'resting') started when Lebron became a powerhouse. Diva
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,517

Post#173 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:09 am

Resting players isn't going away. It's been proven to win games. Resting players extends careers. Silver should realize that it isn't a coincidence that San Antonio, the team that started resting players, has had numerous superstars play productively well into their late 30s. Due to resting fans got to see more games of David Robinson, Tim Duncan and Manu than they would have. Given that it is silly to kill resting players.

As I said before a rule about resting non-injured players could never be enforced because many legitimate basketball injuries don't show up on medical exams. Back pain, a real injury that impacted the career of many superstars often doesn't show up on injury reports.

The players and owners have a financial interest in preventing resting for nationalized televised games. Most nationally televised games are between playoff teams from the previous season. The league could adopt a points system for standings if you want to avoid coaches resting marquee players in prominent games. Wins over last years playoff teams are worth 2 points. Wins over all other teams are worth 1 point.

Teams would now have a greater incentive to go for the win in marquee games. There would be a lot more resting against the weaker teams.

Resting shouldn't go away. Resting leads to longer careers. We'll probably get more games and seasons out of Lebron than we would have absent resting.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,517

Post#174 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:13 am

bs_and_cs wrote:

Prove it, Mr. Silver!

I don't think the issue is 1 guy missing a game to rest a bit on the guise of "soreness." This has been happening in sports forever and no one has cared.

The issue is teams decided to rest their entire starting lineups during one game. This is a new trend (only in the NBA) and it is affecting the actual product on the floor.

Two points:

1. It makes sense resting all your players in 1 game. You maximize your team's chance of winning the most possible games over an 82 game schedule by limiting the rest games.

2. Resting 3-4 of your players in a game is a way to give your bench real experience. One reason SAS has an effective bench every year is the rest games
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#175 » by King of Canada » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:10 pm

The same goes for teams tanking to get better draft position. It's a problem, but this one could be more easily dealt with.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,109

Post#176 » by Dr Aki » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:33 pm

by disconnecting record to lottery chances
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#177 » by Trader_Joe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 pm

I posted this elsewhere but one option is to say there is a minimum number of games a player must sit out if rested/injured... say 2 or 3 games. Coaches will think twice about resting players if it would cost them 2-3 games of a player. Of course there is the issue of coaches simply inserting them for 5 minutes and taking them out, but that does hurt players per game averages if they do that and if the top players are chasing stats/awards/MVPs that might be a deterrent...so perhaps there is a minimum number of games/minutes required to win awards and make All-NBA teams which do have monetary incentives for players.

Personally, I think resting players is an unfounded science. I didn't see Stockton, Malone, Jordan, Kareem and others who played major minutes in every game they could having shortened careers due to injury or fatigue..they still played 82 games IIRC. Athletes are supposed to be better conditioned than ever these days. If the coaches need to rest their players, cut down on practice time and work more on conditioning, flexibility and other preventative measures. If athletes of the past could handle the grind, not sure why this generation can't.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,125

Post#178 » by The Duke » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Watch the game on TV and understand **** happens.
Teams will tank, teams will rest
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#179 » by Trader_Joe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:07 pm

The Duke wrote:Watch the game on TV and understand **** happens.
Teams will tank, teams will rest

The point is it's a newer and expanding trend and some teams seemingly do it as an intentional F U to the NBA/ABC/ESPN/Fans when they do it for marquee match-ups that people and advertisers paid much higher prices for.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#180 » by ALL HAIL » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:10 pm

I'm not sure if this hasn't already been mentioned, but baseball managers still rest their players, right?

Return to The General Board