ImageImageImageImageImage

Media projections for 2017 (and your predictions, too)

Moderator: JaysRule15

wamco
Junior
And1: 46

Re: Media projections for 2017 (and your predictions, too) 

Post#41 » by wamco » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:28 am

Interesting. Thanks.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,174

Post#42 » by LLJ » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:38 pm

I think the pitching will regress too. Don't think we make the playoffs. But then again, this is baseball. One thing's for sure, we're gonna need a lot of luck this time.
Raps_Swingman
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#43 » by Raps_Swingman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:56 pm

I think Happ and Estrada probably regress a bit, but we will see a very strong season from Liriano/Stroman/Sanchez. The bullpen is a wildcard, as they usually are, but I like the arms we have and the versatility of styles.

Baltimore and Tampa look terrible to me, Yankees are young and I'm not sure what to expect. Red Sox are the favourite and the Jays will be right there for the playoffs, most likely a Wild Card spot.
That's what she said.
wamco
Junior
And1: 46

Post#44 » by wamco » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:49 pm

I still wish a bit more of a raise from 152 to 160 ish after leading the league in attendance. A bit more spent now would tighten the lineup more or made more of a shutdown bullpen.

And I know I know, it'll be there later for stretch run moves. As it is for our other competition as well. Unless we stink though, then the money will be pocketed instead of spent and other salary traded off. That's the kicker.

It's really too bad tellez, Alford and SRF arent a year further in their progression. They would be perfect fits in areas of current need.
Sifu
Veteran
And1: 1,005

Post#45 » by Sifu » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:25 am

I want to be wrong, but I think this is the year of the fire sale. There are a lot of tradeable assets that can net many prospects...
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#46 » by The_Hater » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:20 pm

Sifu wrote:I want to be wrong, but I think this is the year of the fire sale. There are a lot of tradeable assets that can net many prospects...

I'm in this boat too. The SP may have played over their heads last season and the roster is a bit old and thin. Things could easily fall off the rails and there isn't as much of a safety net this season. They could make the playoffs or the bottom could fall out. I'm open to anything.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
phillipmike
Rookie
And1: 1,229

Post#47 » by phillipmike » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:54 pm

I am the exact opposite. Unless we get hurt then i dont think the AL East is out of the question at all.

What did the Rays do? Lost Forsythe and traded Smyly. They sign Rasmus and their other biggest signing was Ramos who will miss most of the season with a torn ACL and Eovaldi who will miss the entire season. Duffy, Rasmus, Boxberger and Morrison all questionable to start the season. Pitching will be their strength but their 4th and 5th starter have a combined 280 MLB innnings. They got worse.

Baltimore got worse or stayed the same losing Wieters, Pearce, Hunter and Gallardo and only picking up Smith, and Castillo. They are bring back the 2nd worst rotation among playoff teams and the worst defense among playoff teams. They played over their head too as their run differential suggested that they were a 84 win team not an 89 win team. Tillman is expected to start the season on the DL. They got worse or at best stayed the same.

Yankees moved Tex, A-rod, McCann, Beltran, Eovaldi, and Miller. They will have 3 rookies in their starting lineup in Bird (coming off shoulder surgery), Judges and Sanchez. Sanchez could be a huge improvement so i will give them that. But Didi hurt his shoulder this week and is likely to miss the start of the season. They are relying on rookies in their lineup and an old CC or an unproven rotation outside of Tanaka. They had the 21st ranked offense, 16th ranked rotation and 15th ranked defense. Their top 5 bullpen lost Andrew Miller. Betances is disgruntled and inferred he may not pitch multiple innings for them after the arb fiasco and Chapman was overworked last season. Four of their top 5 hitters from last year based on OPS+ wont start the season with them; McCann and Beltran gone, Didi and Austin hurt. The Holliday, Ellesbury, Headley and Gardner are 32-33. They could be worse or they could be better but enough to be in the playoff discussion? The were a 84 win team but their run differential suggests they were a 79 win team.

Then it brings me to my favorite team the Red Sox. Boston was a great team last season... a really good one but they lost a lot of their strengths. Gone is the 2nd best bat in baseball from 2016 in Ortiz and replace him with Mitch Moreland (a slightly better Justin Smoak). Their shaky bullpen at least had depth but they lost Uehera, Tazawa, Ziegler, and Bucholz. Carson Smith is still recovering from Tommy John, their prized pen addition Thornburg has been dealing with a dead arm all spring. And the guy they traded for Thornburg was their starting 3B in Shaw last season and traded his expected replacement in Moncada. So that leaves Panda... has had a good spring but we will see how that translates. We will see how Benintendi's surgically repaired knee holds up as an everyday player too. Lineup is losing a lot in Oritz but could be getting some production from Panda and Benintendi though i doubt anywhere near as good. Bullpen lost 4 of their top 10 producers last season and their replacements are hurt (Thronburg, Smith and Elias). Now it brings me to their biggest weakness starting pitching. They added the best available starter in Sale to an already productive rotation in 2016. Porcello and Sale will be studs for them. But after that the next 4 guys have question marks. Price will miss at least the 1st month of the season with an elbow injury that could be more serious. Pomperanz left his last ST start with forearm tightness, the team says its nothing but he got an experimental stem cell injection after the playoffs due to elbow discomfort. Wright is back and is pitching well but he is coming off a shoulder injury that made him miss most of August and the rest of the season. His MLB innings went from 13, 21, 72 and 156. Rodriguez has his far share of injuries too and only throw for the first time in February... He looks good in the spring though. If Price and Pomeranz start the year on the DL then their 3-4-5 spots are Wright, Rodriguez and potentially Henry Owens.

All i am saying is that as many question marks people have for the Jays we should have for other teams as well. Many would agree we are better than the Yankees and Rays. And we are a better built team than the O's. Everyone had Boston on a pedestal after the Sale trade but losing Ortiz, pen depth and add in the starting pitching injuries... this division is wide open for the Jays. Like 2016 we should only be talking about contending not selling off assets until there is a reason to.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/if-the-red-sox-lose-david-price/
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,799

Post#48 » by Steelo Green » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:14 am

The_Hater wrote:
Sifu wrote:I want to be wrong, but I think this is the year of the fire sale. There are a lot of tradeable assets that can net many prospects...

I'm in this boat too. The SP may have played over their heads last season and the roster is a bit old and thin. Things could easily fall off the rails and there isn't as much of a safety net this season. They could make the playoffs or the bottom could fall out. I'm open to anything.

I agree. We have good young pitching and could move on the fly. We are similar to the Red Sox before they broke it apart to build it back up for a long term young contender.

I doubt we do though. The money they made, they will milk the cow for as long as possible.

I trust Shatkins though with the talent they are capable to build from drafting, so even though we will probably try to keep this core for 1-2 years, I would imagine we find some drafting gems.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,461
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#49 » by SharoneWright » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:06 pm

Would have said 91, but after Spring Training,,,, 90. :wink:

-I've got to believe I'm not wasting 400 hours this summer watching a non-playoff team... and thus am wilfully ignoring our bullpen :no:
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,046

Post#50 » by Schad » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:14 pm

**** your asterisk.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#51 » by polo007 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Read on Twitter
Raps_Swingman
Analyst

Post#52 » by Raps_Swingman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:57 pm

Baltimore is such a dog pile and I can't see Tampa even getting to 80 wins.

We will be in the mix for the WIld Card and I'm not so sure Boston is actually that good, but the numbers look promising for them.
That's what she said.
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#53 » by zilby » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:01 am

78. Less depending on if a fire sale happens at the deadline or not.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,046

Post#54 » by Schad » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:03 am

Raps_Swingman wrote:

It's Baltimore. They're always a trashpile that inexplicably wins 85+ games.
**** your asterisk.
Raps_Swingman
Analyst

Post#55 » by Raps_Swingman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:40 am

Schad wrote:
Raps_Swingman wrote:

It's Baltimore. They're always a trashpile that inexplicably wins 85+ games.

I hope you're wrong this time.

Machado is all world and they can hit the long ball but my god that rotation is gross. Showalter is also the biggest pile of garbage among them.
That's what she said.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,359

Post#56 » by Lateral Quicks » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:36 pm

Barring a total implosion, we should be in the hunt for the wild card. I agree with philipmike above: the Rays and Orioles aren't in the same class, and the Yankees are likely the third place team. The Red Sox are most likely better, but like us have serious question marks in the bullpen. We have a great infield, they have a great outfield. Should be fun :)

I doubt we blow it up if we're above .500 at the trade deadline, and with this roster it's hard to see why we wouldn't be. A devastating injury (thinking Martin or Donaldson) could do it, but the same is true of most teams.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,101

Post#57 » by duppyy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:41 pm

Who's getting the honor of making the first series thread?
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 119,974

Post#58 » by JaysRule15 » Sat Apr 1, 2017 5:29 am

duppyy wrote:Who's getting the honor of making the first series thread?

Should be HangTime. He'd start us off on the right note.
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#59 » by zilby » Sat Apr 1, 2017 5:47 pm

I want to see the Jays sign Pagan before the season starts and trade Melvin's contract away. Use Zeke as a backup OF and bat Angel leadoff. He's exactly what we missed all year last year at the top of the lineup.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,448

Post#60 » by dagger » Sun Apr 2, 2017 3:53 pm

Bowden has pencilled in the Jays for a wildcard
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER

Return to Toronto Blue Jays