Should the NBA eliminate back-to-backs on their national television schedule?

RealGM Polls
Veteran
And1: 10

Should the NBA eliminate back-to-backs on their national television schedule? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:17 pm

1. Yes
2. No
streets talking
Senior
And1: 31

Re: Should the NBA eliminate back-to-backs on their national television schedule? 

Post#2 » by streets talking » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:41 am

they are paid millions they have nothing to complain about
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Re: Should the NBA eliminate back-to-backs on their national television schedule? 

Post#3 » by luss54321 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:51 pm

streets talking wrote:they are paid millions they have nothing to complain about

They're not complaining. The fans are.
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#4 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:02 pm

What's the issue?
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#5 » by arasu » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:14 am

Through all of NBA history most players have been able to play most of, if not all of, the regular season, so why would it suddenly be a problem? Some star players have been rested on occasion as well, going back even before Gregg Popovich made it more popular. If you paid tickets only to see one or two star players, you're not a real fan anyway.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#6 » by Barcs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:19 pm

I don't get why this has gotten so popular. You never heard of Jordan being rested or complaining about back to backs. He never broke down in a finals series. If I remember correctly, they used to have back to backs in the playoffs and even NBA finals. Is that correct? I agree that they should get rid of back to backs where 1 game is home and 1 game is on the road. That's flat out stupid, but nothing wrong with back to backs.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
Milo1661
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#7 » by Milo1661 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:11 am

Barcs wrote:I don't get why this has gotten so popular. You never heard of Jordan being rested or complaining about back to backs. He never broke down in a finals series. If I remember correctly, they used to have back to backs in the playoffs and even NBA finals. Is that correct? I agree that they should get rid of back to backs where 1 game is home and 1 game is on the road. That's flat out stupid, but nothing wrong with back to backs.

Says the guy that plays zero back to backs
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,914

Post#8 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:51 pm

It's pretty simple the way to do this. Cut the exhibition season in half including number of exhibition games and the length of preseason. That would add about 2 weeks to the calendar for games to be scheduled. Also if a team has to have 2 games back to back they should both be home games. Back to backs on the road are murder and a back to back when the 2nd game is at home is very much like adding a road game and taking away a home game.

If that is not enough they could start the training camp and preseason a week or 2 earlier for the same reasons.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#9 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:54 pm

Barcs wrote:I don't get why this has gotten so popular. You never heard of Jordan being rested or complaining about back to backs. He never broke down in a finals series. If I remember correctly, they used to have back to backs in the playoffs and even NBA finals. Is that correct? I agree that they should get rid of back to backs where 1 game is home and 1 game is on the road. That's flat out stupid, but nothing wrong with back to backs.

The game is more physical now and the dollar figures are so much bigger. Lengthening the season in # of days would add to revenue by having more TV games and more competitive games.
Barcs
Veteran

Post#10 » by Barcs » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:51 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:

The game is more physical now and the dollar figures are so much bigger. Lengthening the season in # of days would add to revenue by having more TV games and more competitive games.

The game is MORE physical now? Really? Flagrant fouls today use to be common fouls in the 80s and 90s. No way the game is more physical today.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#11 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:15 pm

Barcs wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

The game is MORE physical now? Really? Flagrant fouls today use to be common fouls in the 80s and 90s. No way the game is more physical today.

Ok yeah you're right on the physicality of the game, what I was looking at was the number of high end athletes, you're right that there were more rugged players in the past, Karl Malone, Moses Malone, Larry Bird, Wilt, Kareem.

Other than a few teams that were run and gun like the 1980's Denver Nuggets. We don't see 183-165 point games anymore. Now you have to play some defense even if you're a run and gun team. It's a lot easier to just play offense, but now you have to play both.

Take a look at how many guys are injured. Back to back games contribute to injury's.
Barcs
Veteran

Post#12 » by Barcs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:22 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Barcs wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

Ok yeah you're right on the physicality of the game, what I was looking at was the number of high end athletes, you're right that there were more rugged players in the past, Karl Malone, Moses Malone, Larry Bird, Wilt, Kareem.

Other than a few teams that were run and gun like the 1980's Denver Nuggets. We don't see 183-165 point games anymore. Now you have to play some defense even if you're a run and gun team. It's a lot easier to just play offense, but now you have to play both.

Take a look at how many guys are injured. Back to back games contribute to injury's.

You are seriously trying to tell me that defense wasn't a big part of the game in the 80s and 90s? They were allowed to handcheck back then, Defense was a much BIGGER factor then. There were some exceptions, but teams were mostly built on defense back then, you didn't have so many 1 way players like you have today. Players like Steph Curry, James Harden, etc who barely play defense would have never made it in the 90s NBA. They had higher PPG back then for the most part, but that's because the rules were much different, not because they didn't play defense. The game has just changed so much. You can't really compare the previous eras to today. They have watered down the game quite a bit.

It's not that we have more high caliber players, it's that defense isn't nearly as rugged as it used to be, so 1 way players offensive players are much more common today. I can't think of a single top tier player from the 80s or 90s that didn't play decent defense, but in today's NBA, I could probably list 10 off the top of my head without even looking at stats.

Plus how can you say back to backs are the reason for all the injuries today, when it wasn't a problem in the old era, in fact the schedule was more harsh, especially in the playoffs, and it seems there are much more injuries today than there used to be.

Return to Polls Discussion