Are DeMarcus Cousins & Anthony Davis even a good fit?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man
And1: 793

Re: RE: Re: Are DeMarcus Cousins & Anthony Davis even a good fit? 

Post#401 » by GlenRiceARoni » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:34 am

Jon1798 wrote:Pelicans are 5-4 in March

Yeah, they are 2-0 when Cousins doesn't play.

1-0 when they play the Lakers.

1-0 when their opponent shoots THIRTY percent from the field. (granted I will attribute positive marks to their defense that night).

And MOST importantly 1-0 vs the Hornets in a 53 minute overtime game in which Cousins only played 25 minutes.

As I've noted several times I'm fully on board with them staggering their minutes so they have either Davis or Cousins on the court at all times. That's a great way to feast on weaker backups, particularly during the regular season. Someone tries to steal minutes with Spencer Hawes or Mike Muscala and wham you just roast them straight through the daisy patch.

Then you find a few lineups and sets where you can play them together in spurts and look for specific opponent matchups/pairings when you can utilize the Twin Towers. Playing the Spurs with Aldridge/Gasol? Sure. The Jazz with Gobert/Favors? Sounds good. The hornets with Zeller/kaminsky? I'm in. Memphis thinks it's 2011 and still playing Gasol/Randolph? Give 'em the business cowboy.

But I'm not of the opinion this is going to work well in long spurts. And I find it somewhat unlikely Cousins accepts a lesser role, particularly on a team that's not that good.

I say they run 12-15 minutes together most nights and that's it.

Again I still don't mind the trade. Like at all. I think Hield is a fairly low end prospect who has pretty much maxed out his potential. And a late lotto selection for Cousins is a win.

Seriously check out the history of the late lotto picks I yinka Dare you. See how many more Etan Thomas, Jason Thompson, Rafael Araujo, and Meyers Leonard's there are than Myles Turner's. Holy Tsikitishvilli there's a lot of busts.

Heck even if you get upgraded to the big boy table you still might end up at an all you can eat Emmanuel Mudiay buffet. Is that you calling Stanley Johnson? Speak up I can barely Herzonja.

Anyway, what was I loOkafor? Oh yeah the point is I think the trade was fine from a value standpoint. That said I don't think the Twin Towers are gonna work and id try to flip Cousins for a better return. Maybe a team desperate to make a splash like Chicago, Phoenix, or the Lakers would swing a deal.

Would phoenix give up an expiring Bledsoe and expiring TJ Warren? I could get behind the 'Boogie Dragan'.

Jumping Jack Flash, did Framptom just Come Alive??? Eric Bledsoe, TJ Warren, and Anthony Davis would be an interesting lineup even if Miss Mary Muffet was their shooting guard and you put little Jack Horner in the Corner as a 3&D guy. And this is just me quickly flippin' the ole beans around here.

By the time they clog this cap up with Cousins and Davis max contract. Jrue's contract is about to be Cash Money Millionaire status. We all know Solomon Hill is already "getting paper" as the kids say. Asik is a robbing everybody. Ajinca already got paid in straight cash homie. And no draft pick...Where the heck is the money for a supporting cast gonna come from? Certainly not from the deep pockets of the citizens in the beautiful XXXdumpXXX errr CITY of New Orleans.

How is this roster seriously supposed to compete with a top 4 Western Conference seed like a healthy GSW, SAS,HOU, LAC, or Utah?

I mean for years people have been putting band aids on wounds, RIGHT?!

Well now there's this company making a gel out of a plant based polymer. And it binds with your blood AND skin tissue to quickly stop severe bleeding. Anyway you get my point. We gotta think outside the box here.

Are we even sure they can win more regular season games than Denver and Minnesota?

I mean you say Stalactites, I say Stalagmites but we're talking about the same thing here. It's all just frozen water, RIGHT?!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Excited about the Playoffs now that Durant has given other teams a fighting chance
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,720

Re: Are DeMarcus Cousins & Anthony Davis even a good fit? 

Post#402 » by G35 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:50 pm

Nice rant...

I am I record saying that It's a shot in the dark with Cousins in ANY situation, perfect, not perfect, rebuilding, going for a title. He has not shown stability, and you need that from your best players.

This is not the ideal situation. The league does not cater to big men and it certainly is going to be difficult deploying two high usage big men.

I think New Orleans is going to blink sometime next year when it comes to resigning Demarcus and are likely to trade him or let him go in FA....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using RealGM mobile app
I'm so tired of the typical......
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man

Post#403 » by GlenRiceARoni » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Cousins needs to be surrounded by shooters so he can dominate on the inside. That's the one thing Sacramento never tried.

He needs a stretch 4 and other guys who can shoot. That opens up the inside and let's him pig out on offensive boards.

Davis as a stretch 4 is a complete waste of his skill. That's like making Wonder Woman your secretary. Sure She can file papers but she can't wear that suit to the office. Total waste.

Excited about the Playoffs now that Durant has given other teams a fighting chance
wojoaderge
Veteran
And1: 1,492

Post#404 » by wojoaderge » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:18 pm

GlenRiceARoni wrote:That's like making Wonder Woman your secretary. Sure She can file papers but she can't wear that suit to the office. Total waste.

Yes but the JSA was still very successful
"Coach, why don't you just relax? We're not good enough to beat the Lakers. We've had a great year, why don't you just relax and cool down?"
TacoBell
Sophomore
And1: 86

Post#405 » by TacoBell » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:57 pm

Cousins lazy defense is a big hole for any team. His constant refusal to hustle on the defensive end is gonna be a big hole to cover when you go up against a playoff team, if you can manage to win enough games with that gaping hole.
evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,760

Post#406 » by evilpimp972 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:53 am

TacoBell wrote:Cousins lazy defense is a big hole for any team. His constant refusal to hustle on the defensive end is gonna be a big hole to cover when you go up against a playoff team, if you can manage to win enough games with that gaping hole.

He doesn't run back because he lacks stamina, I agree, but he looks great on defense since being a Pelicans, tonight he was great in the 4th.
Looks like he'd have to play the playmaker role in this team, last night they looked really good together, IMO their best game since the trade.
If Hill can become a decent starter on offense, watch out
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient
freewhitemoon
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,351

Post#407 » by freewhitemoon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:53 am

they looked great v the timberwolves because Minnesota is one of the few teams that play two bigs
lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 764

Post#408 » by lordjeff05 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:01 am

GlenRiceARoni wrote:
You notice that Solomon Hill scored 30 points in that game? That's about 23 points over his season average.

I dont see how this helps your argument.

When the Pelicans used a more traditional Iineup due to Cousins injury they scored 128 points and unlocked a 30 point, six treys, 9 FTA game game out of Solomon Hill. You really think he's going to often uncork one of those games playing with a frontcourt of Hill, Davis AND Cousins? Not likely.

You notice too when the Pels beat a red hot Blazers team by 25 points with Demarcus starting?

The Blazers shot 30% from the field and played Napier, Connaughton, Aminu, Vonleh, and Layman a combined 88 minutes. I'd say this was a good win but might be one of those "fluky" off nights you were referring to.

My bigger question is whether the great defense they are playing together will hold over the course of a season

I haven't reached your conclusion that this is a great defensive team. Like at all.

And I looked into the nylon calculus article. I drew the exact opposite conclusions you did. To me the numbers show the pelicans are taking more 3s and more shots near the rim but converting a FAR lower percentage. Certainly outside any comfortable margin of error. It certainly looks like they arent getting the same quality looks.

Solomon Hill has been playing better but the Houston game was a fluke. It's a horrible example to use because a player scored 24 points over his yearly average. You can't argue that Demarcus is the reason that Solomon has played
played poorly on offense when Solo was bad before Demarcus got there even when we were playing small.

While I'm not sure they can sustain their defense, the Portland game was not a one off defensive showing.

The argument you drew from that Nylon Calculus article is the opposite from the one the author made. It also doesn't correlate with the amount of open shots that are created when they are on the floor.

The missed shots were fluky, and the team is shooting better. Thats probably why they are also 4 and 1 in their last 5.
lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 764

Post#409 » by lordjeff05 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:12 am

freewhitemoon wrote:they looked great v the timberwolves because Minnesota is one of the few teams that play two bigs

They've looked better in general the last couple of games versus smaller teams like Portland and Charlotte and larger teams like Sota.

One of their best games may have been a loss to San Antonio in ot.
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#410 » by Alonzo_Morning » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:06 pm

lordjeff05 wrote:
GlenRiceARoni wrote:
You notice that Solomon Hill scored 30 points in that game? That's about 23 points over his season average.

I dont see how this helps your argument.

When the Pelicans used a more traditional Iineup due to Cousins injury they scored 128 points and unlocked a 30 point, six treys, 9 FTA game game out of Solomon Hill. You really think he's going to often uncork one of those games playing with a frontcourt of Hill, Davis AND Cousins? Not likely.

You notice too when the Pels beat a red hot Blazers team by 25 points with Demarcus starting?

The Blazers shot 30% from the field and played Napier, Connaughton, Aminu, Vonleh, and Layman a combined 88 minutes. I'd say this was a good win but might be one of those "fluky" off nights you were referring to.

My bigger question is whether the great defense they are playing together will hold over the course of a season

I haven't reached your conclusion that this is a great defensive team. Like at all.

And I looked into the nylon calculus article. I drew the exact opposite conclusions you did. To me the numbers show the pelicans are taking more 3s and more shots near the rim but converting a FAR lower percentage. Certainly outside any comfortable margin of error. It certainly looks like they arent getting the same quality looks.

Solomon Hill has been playing better but the Houston game was a fluke. It's a horrible example to use because a player scored 24 points over his yearly average. You can't argue that Demarcus is the reason that Solomon has played
played poorly on offense when Solo was bad before Demarcus got there even when we were playing small.

While I'm not sure they can sustain their defense, the Portland game was not a one off defensive showing.

The argument you drew from that Nylon Calculus article is the opposite from the one the author made. It also doesn't correlate with the amount of open shots that are created when they are on the floor.

The missed shots were fluky, and the team is shooting better. Thats probably why they are also 4 and 1 in their last 5.

Solo got 13 points v Timberpups. That's the 4th time in his CAREER that he's had consecutive games of double figures.

When he stays aggressive, he is a 300% better player. You don't need 30 points out of him every game with Boogie, AD and Jrue. 10-20 points is what you want, plus everything else he brings.

I smell a trend appearing and lots of optimism for next season
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant

Post#411 » by Alonzo_Morning » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Nothing concrete, but hearing some rumblings that DMC is already rubbing teammates up the wrong way.

I looked at the play leading up to the Boogie Tim exchange (8:08 minute mark in the third of the wolves game) - Boogie got the d-reb, and wanted to bring it up. Tim took it off him flew up, quick pass to AD, pass to Solo open 3 sinks. cousins barely made it into three point range. hard to see what was said as none of the league pass cameras show much other than a few words said, tim taps him on the chest with back of hand, Diallo trying to intervene early and then Boogie clearly oversteps the line with what he says timmy turns around says something and then AD turns around and starts to go back at Boogie.

Counter-intuitively, this may be having a solidifying effect on the rest of team leading to a lift in pretty much every player, as you saw with things like the Houston game and Solo's much better play lately.
Kingshadaine
Junior
And1: 224

Post#412 » by Kingshadaine » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:56 am

5-1 last 6 games, dmc 41-17 tonight
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#413 » by Jkam31 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:39 am

Kingshadaine wrote:5-1 last 6 games, dmc 41-17 tonight

What's your point it was decided weeks ago that they can't co exist remember

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,760

Post#414 » by evilpimp972 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:48 am

Damn last game they gave gasol the business , and ad was sick !

Sent from my SM-G920F using RealGM mobile app
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,770

Post#415 » by JJ_PR » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:17 am

Do DeMarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis even lift?
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man

Post#416 » by GlenRiceARoni » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:41 am

This is getting Monotonous. Cousins sits out and the Pelicans annihilate a good Denver team.

Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant

Post#417 » by Alonzo_Morning » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:45 am

GlenRiceARoni wrote:This is getting Monotonous. Cousins sits out and the Pelicans annihilate a good Denver team.

Come back Buddy and 1st rounder :( (and Gallo)
EasternHeretic
Bench Warmer
And1: 290

Post#418 » by EasternHeretic » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:37 am

Monotonous
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#419 » by RaptorsLife » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:39 am

First
30/10

30/10
Raptors til death
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#420 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:43 am

8 of the last 11 now, and the 3 losses have been close.

tonight it was

Cousins 29-16-6
Davis 30-13-2

They can clearly play together. Just not going to be able to catch Portland this season, and will need roster tuneups over the summer to make it sing.

Return to The General Board