Packers 2017 NFL Draft Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,967

Re: Packers 2017 NFL Draft Thread 

Post#361 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:14 pm

I still can't believe Watt may go in the 1st. I thought his brother should have been a high pick in his draft, but I don't really see it with TJ.
bdpecore
Assistant Coach
And1: 573

Post#362 » by bdpecore » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Dandridgefav wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:
Dandridgefav wrote:Too busy this year to get specific with players but I'd like to see

TO me A quality Pass rusher is more valuable than a equally talented cover guy. Matthews has been hurt a lot. Perry is no guarantee. So I target a pass rusher 1st. If both Clay & Nick are doing great - rookie does not have to sit - you move Matthews inside where he had as many sacks as he did outside and now you have real heat coming.

IF a quality pass rusher is not available in 1st - then I look at CB to see if any of the CBs available are clearly the caliber to stay with the opponents #1 WR. If that is not clearly the case that means to me we will have to get lucky to emerge with such a player - so we need more shots - so if top pass rusher or CB is not clearly available at 1st I trade down to increase opportunities and again have a year of multiple CBs. But if we can get a pass rusher in 1st then

1st = OLB
2nd = CB
3rd = G
4th = DE
5th = CB
6th = RB
7th = G-C

I'd swap 3&6 but otherwise looks good. I don't think G is as big of a need, but I also believe Bulaga would be an elite guard.

I do not want to move Bulaga - but there is a far greater chance for Spriggs or Murphy to excel at RT than RG - so I suppose would do it (move Bulaga) if one those 2nd yr dudes grade out at RT.

so if we move bulaga and drop drafting an OL from the 3rd round as you suggest - for me it then becomes a defensive draft taking double dips at OLB & CB. I think we can still get a decent RB in 6th round and in FA.

1st = OLB
2nd = CB
3rd = DE
4th = CB
5th = OLB
6th = RB
7th = G-C

I like your thinking of doubling up on OLB and CB if they have decided to move Bulaga to RG but they also need to be convinced Patrick and Murphy can be solid back up options because I don't want to be depending on Barclay unless we have 3 starting linemen down at the same time. If not, then we still need to draft an OL but we can wait until our comp 5th to do so.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#363 » by crkone » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:50 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I still can't believe Watt may go in the 1st. I thought his brother should have been a high pick in his draft, but I don't really see it with TJ.

Decent 40, fastest 20 yard and 60 yards shuffle, 2nd fastest 3 cone drill, tied for 2nd best long jump, tied for 4th best vert, good arm length, good height, and good stats. He's right where he should be.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,493

Post#364 » by Profound23 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:59 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I still can't believe Watt may go in the 1st. I thought his brother should have been a high pick in his draft, but I don't really see it with TJ.

Same thing with Clay Matthews brother when he came out, everyone wanted to draft him in the 2nd round a few years ago and started freaking out when we didn't. Add into that he played for Wisconsin and most Packer fans would want him even if we had the #5 pick in the draft.

I am fine (depending on who else is out there) with him if he falls to the 2nd, but no way am I spending my first on him. Heck, I would take your guy McCaffrey over him and that is saying a lot.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#365 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:59 pm

crkone wrote:

Decent 40, fastest 20 yard and 60 yards shuffle, 2nd fastest 3 cone drill, tied for 2nd best long jump, tied for 4th best vert, good arm length, good height, and good stats. He's right where he should be.

The difference is his brother was looking like a freak at 290 lbs.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#366 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:00 pm

Mays on the Ringer:

It’s what he can do on passing downs, though, that makes him an enticing option toward the back of the first round. As a receiving target, McCaffrey should be able to step onto the field and contribute immediately. He catches the ball with ease and is supremely gifted as a route runner. Stanford deployed him in a variety of ways, and McCaffrey looked comfortable doing every one. Whether he was cooking a defensive back on a double move or slicing up a linebacker on an option route, he proved dynamic; creative play designers can and should salivate over his versatility.

As the NFL grows increasingly pass-happy, teams are relying on shotgun formations, sub packages, and personnel mismatches more than ever before. That makes backs with McCaffrey’s skill set exceedingly valuable. Even if his appeal is primarily tied to the passing game, McCaffrey is a surefire playmaker. He can be used as a runner in certain formations and as a wideout who can pick apart coverage in others.

I bag on McCarthy, but at least he's shown he can use guys like CM in a variety of roles. I want him on the Packers in the worst damn way.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,938

Post#367 » by BUCKnation » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:50 pm

I think TJ will be a good player but I mainly worry about his durability.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#368 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:23 am

Durability and experience are the only real knocks on TJ. Other than that he's every bit a first round prospect.
Do it for Chuck
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#369 » by El Duderino » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:59 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
crkone wrote:

The difference is his brother was looking like a freak at 290 lbs.

Those are still good measurables for a guy weighing 250 pounds. Sometimes these other edge rushes who time well are smaller.

Watt was very productive on the field, had a good showing at the combine, and has high character traits. Guys who have all of that going for them get drafted high.

As for comparing TJ to his brother, JJ Watt went 11th overall, TJ is projected bottom of the first round to early 2nd round. Seems about right to me.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#370 » by Profound23 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:38 pm

Another projected 1st round corner, Fabian Moreau from UCLA hurt himself today torn pectoral muscle.

I definitely didn't want him in the first, but if he free falls would consider him later depending on who is still there. Would still rather get Sidney Jones in the 2nd if possible.
bdpecore
Assistant Coach
And1: 573

Post#371 » by bdpecore » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:35 am

Profound23 wrote:Another projected 1st round corner, Fabian Moreau from UCLA hurt himself today torn pectoral muscle.

I definitely didn't want him in the first, but if he free falls would consider him later depending on who is still there. Would still rather get Sidney Jones in the 2nd if possible.

Sidney Jones in at the end of the 2nd would be a huge steal. If he's already gone, I'm a big fan of Ahkello Witherspoon in the 2nd. At 6'3" and 198 with a 4.45 40 time, he should have no trouble covering any receivers on the outside. His two biggest issues are adding muscle and playing against the run.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,223

Post#372 » by HKPackFan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:39 am

Profound23 wrote:Another projected 1st round corner, Fabian Moreau from UCLA hurt himself today torn pectoral muscle.

Reminds me of Myles Jack situation UCLA last year's draft.

Looks like he didn't have a great year, but may have been playing out of position for Jax.
#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#373 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:45 pm

Read on Twitter

Sure.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,478

Post#374 » by neiLz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:38 pm

Kiper's latest mock write up on the Packers' Pick:

29. Green Bay Packers

Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State | Watch highlights

Cook's stock is dropping a little bit. He didn't test amazingly at the combine, a couple of shoulder injuries at FSU have worried teams and not many teams in the first round need running backs. But falling to Green Bay here would be considered a great value pick. Green Bay needs a back and will take one at some point -- converted receiver Ty Montgomery is really all it has now -- and Cook (5-10, 210) is one of the best home run hitters out there. Cook gives Aaron Rodgers and the offense some help in the passing game, too.

I came close to giving Green Bay another player here: Oklahoma's Joe Mixon, who is surging up draft boards and might be the most talented back in the entire class. Mixon has notable off-field issues, and some teams will take him off their boards because of that, but I expect him to be picked by end of the second round.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#375 » by Profound23 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:45 pm

HA, I just said last week watch Ted reach on Bowser.....shooting up from round 4 within the last few weeks, guys like that scare me.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#376 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:05 pm

ArodpwnsFavre wrote:Kiper's latest mock write up on the Packers' Pick:

29. Green Bay Packers

Cook's stock is dropping a little bit. He didn't test amazingly at the combine, a couple of shoulder injuries at FSU have worried teams and not many teams in the first round need running backs. But falling to Green Bay here would be considered a great value pick. Green Bay needs a back and will take one at some point -- converted receiver Ty Montgomery is really all it has now -- and Cook (5-10, 210) is one of the best home run hitters out there. Cook gives Aaron Rodgers and the offense some help in the passing game, too.

I came close to giving Green Bay another player here: Oklahoma's Joe Mixon, who is surging up draft boards and might be the most talented back in the entire class. Mixon has notable off-field issues, and some teams will take him off their boards because of that, but I expect him to be picked by end of the second round.

Yea, I hate myself for it, but I've come around on Mixon. I don't think you can take him in the 1st, but if McCaffrey and Cook are gone I'd be fine with Ted moving up in the second to grab him. I guess the way I see it some team is going to take him and after initial blow back, they're gonna have a very, very good runningback on their hands. Might as well be Green Bay.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,478

Post#377 » by neiLz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:26 pm

wouldn't mind mixon if they can trade back. maybe trade out of the 1st pick up a 2nd and 3rd. take mixon towards the end of 2nd if available and take Sidney jones with your other 2nd.. then you have two 3rds to work with.

Also - wouldn't mind cook in the 1st. I think he'd be awesome catching passes out of the backfield and has the big play ability this team lacks from a RB.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Re: RE: Re: Packers 2017 NFL Draft Thread 

Post#378 » by RRyder823 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:49 pm

ArodpwnsFavre wrote:Kiper's latest mock write up on the Packers' Pick:

29. Green Bay Packers

If the Packers pass on Cook in favor of Mixon I'm jumping on the fire TT bandwagon. Hell I'll start driving it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#379 » by Mags FTW » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:28 pm

Cook is one of few offensive players I would be happy with us taking in the 1st.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#380 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:01 pm

This guy in the 4th, please.

Return to Green Bay Packers