ImageImage

Offseason 2016/17 Thread - Scooter Cut

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,845

Re: Offseason 2016/17 Thread (Feliz and Joba signed) 

Post#381 » by coolhandluke121 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:53 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:So Jesus Aguilar is making this team right? Dude has been mashing this spring.

Not sure there's much reason to hope that can continue. I'll bet Perez is the back-up 1b this year. I would rather they get rid of Scooter and start giving Perez more reps in the middle infield, but I'm guessing Scooter is considered more of a priority than Aguilar.

I'm guessing Kirk gets the call over guys like Reed and Wren, too. Would really be nice if Kirk and Scooter aren't there on day 1, but I'm not sure the Brewers want to bring up anyone who has a long-term future with the team to replace them yet so the main issue is just that their combined 2.03 WAR or whatever the hell it ends up being just screws them out of a few draft slots.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Re: RE: Re: Offseason 2016/17 Thread (Feliz and Joba signed) 

Post#382 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:40 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:So Jesus Aguilar is making this team right? Dude has been mashing this spring.

Not sure there's much reason to hope that can continue. I'll bet Perez is the back-up 1b this year. I would rather they get rid of Scooter and start giving Perez more reps in the middle infield, but I'm guessing Scooter is considered more of a priority than Aguilar.

I'm guessing Kirk gets the call over guys like Reed and Wren, too. Would really be nice if Kirk and Scooter aren't there on day 1, but I'm not sure the Brewers want to bring up anyone who has a long-term future with the team to replace them yet so the main issue is just that their combined 2.03 WAR or whatever the hell it ends up being just screws them out of a few draft slots.

Why wouldn't it continue? Dude has hit for power his whole minor league career. IMO Might as well give him a look, its not like thames is some sure thing. If Aguilar flames out in April/may then no big deal just cut him and give someone else a shot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#383 » by wichmae » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:29 pm

Yeah he kind of has too. Might even think about a straight platoon at first. Wish he had at least some ability to play elsewhere. I think they could get tricky with Thames and move him out to left occasionally if they wanted to play both. Aguilar really has to make this team. Theres no chance he sneaks through waivers.
miamiflashfan
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#384 » by miamiflashfan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:31 pm

Almost wishing we didn't sign Thames just so we wouldn't have this problem. I'd feel just as comfortable with Aguilar as the everyday guy as I would with Thames, but it is what it is. The fact that we have a few who are ultimate utility players probably makes it manageable to hold onto two guys who can only play first. Perez can play anywhere but catcher, Gennett can play outfield now on top of 2B, Villar can play 3B/2B/SS, and Kirk can play all 3 outfield spots.

12 pitchers
2 catchers
Braun/Broxton/Santana/Kirk
Shaw/Arcia/Villar/Perez/Thames/Aguilar/Gennett

That'd be my bet.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#385 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:02 am

miamiflashfan wrote:Almost wishing we didn't sign Thames just so we wouldn't have this problem. I'd feel just as comfortable with Aguilar as the everyday guy as I would with Thames, but it is what it is. The fact that we have a few who are ultimate utility players probably makes it manageable to hold onto two guys who can only play first. Perez can play anywhere but catcher, Gennett can play outfield now on top of 2B, Villar can play 3B/2B/SS, and Kirk can play all 3 outfield spots.

12 pitchers
2 catchers
Braun/Broxton/Santana/Kirk
Shaw/Arcia/Villar/Perez/Thames/Aguilar/Gennett

That'd be my bet.

Thames was a reasonable gamble but only has 16m in guaranteed money so its not a huge commitment especially when you look at the brewers overall payroll. If by july Aguilar is outplaying him its not that big of a deal if he loses his spot. Aguilar has hit in the minors but hasnt done a thing at the mlb level so who knows how he will pan out but his play this spring has probably earned him the chance to fail. Hell if Aguilar takes the job its actually a better thing because the brewers would have multiple years of control on him. Having to pay thames as a bench guy at 4m per year isn't the end of the world.

It probably comes down to keeping 3 of kirk, Aguilar, scooter, de jesus, or rivera.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#386 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:01 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:

Not sure there's much reason to hope that can continue.

Why wouldn't it continue? Dude has hit for power his whole minor league career. IMO Might as well give him a look, its not like thames is some sure thing. If Aguilar flames out in April/may then no big deal just cut him and give someone else a shot.

Why wouldn't it continue?? He's OPS'ing over 1.3 this spring and his OPS in the minors was about .800; of course it's not going to continue. I'm not going to pretend I followed his minor league career or know what kind of ballparks he played in, but for comparison Kirk had a minors OPS of around .830. Yeah, Aguilar bopped a lot of homers, but Chris Carter led the NL in homers last year and was not tendered so I'm not sure how much the Brewers care about that.

Of course I support giving him a shot if stays productive through the rest of spring training, but I don't think he's won a spot yet. Wren, Kirk, and Reed are hitting well too. Versatility matters, or they could even decide to keep a 13th pitcher or a 5th outfielder (give Braun some reps at 1b?) instead of a 7th infielder.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#387 » by tski1972 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Read on Twitter
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#388 » by Thunder Muscle » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:41 pm

I never really understood the big secret about opening day starter. In most cases teams have film on the guy, have good idea who it will be anyway, etc.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#389 » by El Duderino » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:59 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:

I want Aguilar kept, but agree on Scooter. Trade him for anything. Perez should be the backup at 2nd/3rd/SS. If an injury hits at any of those positions to where Perez needs to play everyday, the team can call up someone else to be the utility infielder.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#390 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:30 pm

El Duderino wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:

I want Aguilar kept, but agree on Scooter. Trade him for anything. Perez should be the backup at 2nd/3rd/SS. If an injury hits at any of those positions to where Perez needs to play everyday, the team can call up someone else to be the utility infielder.

I would rather keep Aguilar than Scooter too. I'm just predicting it won't happen and explaining what their reasoning might be. I hope Jesus stays hot because even though I don't think he's likely to pay off much in the grand scheme of things, there's nothing to gain from keeping Scooter IMO.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#391 » by M-C-G » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:07 am

tski1972 wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is certain to be one of those super random trivia answers 15 years from now
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,958

Post#392 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:36 pm

There is the utter lack of a front-end pitching market beyond Quintana. The A’s Sonny Gray is expected to miss at least the first month of the season with a strained lat and is coming off a disappointing season. Tampa Bay hopes to contend this season, so Chris Archer, Jake Odorizzi and Alex Cobb aren’t going anywhere yet. The best available pitcher beyond Quintana, surmised two sources, is Junior Guerra, the Milwaukee Brewers starter who had a standout rookie season last year – as a 31-year-old.

Hope JG comes fast out of the gate, looks like a low 3s ERA guy, and Stearn's is quick to sling 'em.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,868

Post#393 » by Turk Nowitzki » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:00 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
There is the utter lack of a front-end pitching market beyond Quintana. The A’s Sonny Gray is expected to miss at least the first month of the season with a strained lat and is coming off a disappointing season. Tampa Bay hopes to contend this season, so Chris Archer, Jake Odorizzi and Alex Cobb aren’t going anywhere yet. The best available pitcher beyond Quintana, surmised two sources, is Junior Guerra, the Milwaukee Brewers starter who had a standout rookie season last year – as a 31-year-old.

Hope JG comes fast out of the gate, looks like a low 3s ERA guy, and Stearn's is quick to sling 'em.

I think that's what the Brewers are banking on, in my cynical mind they are doing everything they can to boost his value, even giving him the "Opening Day starter" treatment. I'm hoping(and I'm certain Stearns is too) that he has a great first half and brings us a nice haul.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,168
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#394 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:53 pm

The value of Guerra is a complete ****. The assumed value is "pretty good" pitcher that has 6 years of control but you know he's a bit older.

Is a team going to give up a top 100 prospect? Probably not, but maybe?

Once you get beyond that, you're basically proposing getting a guy that you hope is a "pretty good" player with 6 years of control but is no sure thing for...a guy that is more of a sure thing just a bit older.

I'm obviously a fan of trading him, but the value offered in return will be the fascinating part of this.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#395 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:The value of Guerra is a complete ****. The assumed value is "pretty good" pitcher that has 6 years of control but you know he's a bit older.

Is a team going to give up a top 100 prospect? Probably not, but maybe?

Once you get beyond that, you're basically proposing getting a guy that you hope is a "pretty good" player with 6 years of control but is no sure thing for...a guy that is more of a sure thing just a bit older.

I'm obviously a fan of trading him, but the value offered in return will be the fascinating part of this.

I think the reason he wasn't traded this winter is because even with his play last year teams still don't know what to make of him. Was he just a flash in the pan that teams will figure out or is he a legit mid of the rotation guy? Now if he can duplicate his performance this year by deadline time I would bet teams start to take him seriously and might be willing to part with a top prospect for him.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#396 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:38 pm

Joba cut. Mildly suprising but they have plenty of mediocre relievers to choose from so whatever.

wichmae
RealGM

Post#397 » by wichmae » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:39 pm

Read on Twitter
wichmae
RealGM

Post#398 » by wichmae » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:43 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Joba cut. Mildly suprising but they have plenty of mediocre relievers to choose from so whatever.

I dont know if I would agree with that. He wasnt lights out on ST and was on a MiLB deal. They would have had to DFA someone off 40 to get him on. Which I guess isnt a very big deal considering Blazek for some reason is still on 40. The pen as of right now looks very weak on paper. Hopefully we repeat the successes of last season with a few lightening in a bottle resurgences.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#399 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:40 pm

I expect the bullpen to suck. You can only hope for people to emerge out of nowhere so many times before the law of averages catches up with you.

As far as I care, they can trade Guerra tomorrow if they get anything worthwhile in return, even if it's just bullpen prospects. Roll with Peralta, Nelson, Garza, Anderson, and Davies in the rotation and see if any of them can have a good couple of months and be flipped at the trade deadline.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,370

Post#400 » by trwi7 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:17 pm

Love posters on bf.net freaking out when I say spring training stats mean nothing because I don't think like 6 of our players are going to hit like Mike Trout in the regular season like they have in spring training.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers