Who are the top 5 worst coaches in the league

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,510

Re: Who are the top 5 worst coaches in the league 

Post#41 » by Bergmaniac » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:37 am

Donovan should be on the list. He's just a terrible coach all around.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#42 » by Pillendreher » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:45 am

Bergmaniac wrote:Donovan should be on the list. He's just a terrible coach all around.

Dude is just terrible.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Pjax4Prez
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#43 » by Pjax4Prez » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:24 am

To be fair, some of the guys are either in rebuilding situations, or incredibly difficult ones.

1. Hoiberg - The only reason he still has his job is because he was the FO's "guy". To be fair he used to coach an uptempo team that shot a lot of threes in a spread court and he's never even had a PG that can shoot since he's been there, not to mention some of the shooting of the surrounding players. Even so, he MISSED the playoffs in the east with that roster last year. He's had inconsistent rotations with a lot of players, and his star players essentially criticize him every couple months are so.

2. Kidd - The only reason i have Kidd here is based on in game performance because it seems he has been developing players out there. His play calling has been unimaginative since his Nets days, and in Milwaukee he seems prone to always play lineups, that to any decent basketball mind, would not work. Also whats with Thon playing the first few mins then never seeing the court again. Like play him, or just bring him off the bench

3. Gentry - To be fair, Gentry has had constant roster turnover since he has been there, with injuries or trades. That being said he has changed style of play a multiple of times, even before the Boogie trade. In my honest opinion he deserves another year (training camp) to see if he can really work in Boogie, but i could see the team getting rid of him, not having faith he could make it work.

4. Hornacek - Might be too early to put him here but his season has gone awfully. Expectations were modest for most (8th-10th seed), but now most are discussing drafting prospects at this point. We obviously don't know how strong the hand of Phil Jackson is, but we at least know it's strong enough to make Jeff coach a system he has never coached or played in before. Offense i could give him a pass, but our defensive system (or lack there of) is a big red flag to me with Hornacek as even when his Suns teams were succeeding, they weren't much on defense. Utilizing players has had mixed results (some role players shining, while some core players struggle), and another guy that has inconsistent roatations

5. Vogel - Might be kind of a hater pick, but he has disappointed me recently. Back when his Pacers teams were at the tops of the eastern conference, i didn't believe he was a very good coach but i used to say at least he coached defense. His offenses were always at the bottom of the league, even during the ascension of Paul George (and Lance Stephenson for a short while). Last year in the playoffs i believe he directly lost them game 5 with some bad lineup choices allowing the Raptors to over take the game. He truly didn't enter my bottom 5 until this year in which he went to a pretty bad Magic team no doubt, but with the reputation as a defensive coach, how was this team in the bottom in the league on defense when they started the season with personnel like Ibaka, Biz, Payton, and Gordon. Two of which have defensive resumes, and the other two very young players that have athletic profiles (ones a defensive coach should be able to take advantage). Saying things like he would use Aaron Gordon like Paul George didn't help his case with me.

To be real, the only coach i think that needs to be fired is Hoiberg, and thats not even really based on basketball knowledge, mostly due to situation (losing respect of players). Coaching is hard and we really only see so little of what they do every day. For every coach mentioned above, I could probably find a few reason they shouldn't be on this list
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,621

Post#44 » by Green89 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:27 am

DarkHawk wrote:Watson being on this list means you don't watch or follow the Suns at all. To say they aren't progressing solidifies that. Looking at the standings isn't a good way to judge who is a good coach and who is not.

His postgame comments where he basically challenged everyone to fight him over the Booker stat padding game says enough.
3Diamantidis
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,300

Post#45 » by 3Diamantidis » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:58 am

Read on Twitter
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#46 » by The_Hater » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:21 pm

JudBuchler wrote:In your honest opinion?

1. Alvin Gentry , This guy has had Anthony Davis and all start caliber PG jrue holiday , even now with Cousins the team is garbage and has been all of gentrys tenure there.

2. Nate Mcmillan , A talented roster from top to bottom, yet every time they play it looks a mess, they have a very pedestrian record. this guy is not a good coach

3. Doc Rivers , Hes made the clippers a bad team, this was a perenial top 3 team in the league and ever since hes been there its been downhill and choking. the guy is a pure idiot head coach, an even worse GM

4. Tyron Lue, he won with Lebron - Irving And Love all healthy and playing, the cavs are playing terrible basketball right now, If it was anyone else theyd be axed but its Lebrons Buddy and someone Lebron can bully

5. Earl Watson, Pheonix suns are not progressing at all, extremely talented young players but no movement or progression at all.

Honarable mention - Coach for Orlando (Although i suspect tanking ) Fizdale in memphis , Coach for Charlotte , Stan van gundy (Although that roster reeks)

The 'coach for Charlotte', who's name it would have taken you 5 seconds to google (Steve Clifford) is one of the best coaches on the league. Sounds like you know a lot about him. SVG is a terrible GM but an elite coach. And Fizdale has been nothing short of incredible this season winning game with d league players. He's awesome and deserves some COY votes.

And I'm not sure how you missed Fred Hoiberg who would be on everyone's 'worst coach' list.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater

Post#47 » by The_Hater » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:32 pm

JudBuchler wrote:
Hindenburg wrote:Jason Kidd needs to be on the list

hes probably deserving of a spot in the 6-9 range

but these 5 are the worst, there is no doubt in my mind

look at what they are working with

Not even up for debate huh? This coming form a guy who doesn't even know the names of the coaches on some teams...
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater

Post#48 » by The_Hater » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:34 pm

Green89 wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:Watson being on this list means you don't watch or follow the Suns at all. To say they aren't progressing solidifies that. Looking at the standings isn't a good way to judge who is a good coach and who is not.

His postgame comments where he basically challenged everyone to fight him over the Booker stat padding game says enough.

I love how Celtic fans are all salty over 'stat padding' in a game that they ultimately won. How dare the Suns feed the hot hand as they try to get back in the game!
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
thegreenlife
Pro Prospect
And1: 648

Post#49 » by thegreenlife » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:44 pm

WigginsNation wrote:
Noobslife wrote:Casey, Casey, Casey, Casey, and Casey.

I agree Casey is a bad coach. He's very lucky to have very talented players that make him look good. The raptors are not a good team because of Casey, rather their a good team despite Casey. For the raptors to take it to the next level, Casey needs to go.

It makes me wonder if Steve Kerr and MDA are actually good coaches, or they've been riding the success of their players
Green89
RealGM

Post#50 » by Green89 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:48 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Green89 wrote:

I love how Celtic fans are all salty over 'stat padding' in a game that they ultimately won. How dare the Suns feed the hot hand as they try to get back in the game!

Get back in the game? It never even got down to a 10-12 point game until the final minute. It was over in the 3rd yet Watson rode him for 45 minutes. Even his scoring 28 points alone in the 4th quarter couldn't cut the lead down to single digits.
The_Hater

Post#51 » by The_Hater » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:56 pm

Green89 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
Green89 wrote:

Get back in the game? It never even got down to a 10-12 point game until the final minute. It was over in the 3rd yet Watson rode him for 45 minutes. Even his scoring 28 points alone in the 4th quarter couldn't cut the lead down to single digits.

It was within 11 with 9 minutes left and stayed around that gap for most of the 4th quarter. Unless you don't follow the NBA you already clearly know that's not a safe lead. And then there's always this:

On top of everything else, it was incredible how the Celtics didn't double team him even once.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,204

Post#52 » by King4Day » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:57 pm

Green89 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
Green89 wrote:

He supported his players in that postgame interview. How does that negatively reflect his entire season?

Reggie Miller scored 8 points in 9 seconds. Crazy thing can happen.
Even if Watson decided to pull the plug, he still scored 60+. That doesn't excuse Boston's defense. The Suns sored 43 points playing team ball in the first half. Booker, almost single handedly, brought the team back.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,137

Post#53 » by Froob » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:01 pm

I don't think the Magic are tanking, they just suck.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#54 » by shangrila » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:19 pm

Fizdale? Seriously?

OP clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Post#55 » by bon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:31 pm

Any combination of Gentry, Kidd, Hoiberg, Lue, and Watson works
Green89
RealGM

Post#56 » by Green89 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:34 pm

DarkHawk wrote:
Green89 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

He supported his players in that postgame interview. How does that negatively reflect his entire season?

Even if Watson decided to pull the plug, he still scored 60+. That doesn't excuse Boston's defense. The Suns sored 43 points playing team ball in the first half. Booker, almost single handedly, brought the team back.

The dude's won 31 games as a head coach, and lost 76, and challenged people to a fight in a post game interview. There's nothing positive about his coaching career yet.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#57 » by Hoopz Afrik » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:37 pm

TheBigSlow wrote:Agree with Alvin Gentry--even pre-cousins, the pelicans have no business being a lottery team.

Jason Kidd shouldn't even be a coach IMO. I think he'd be a better personality on screen and dissect the game that way.

Doc Rivers is a good coach and players love and respect him. His roster just can't get it done. Those guys aren't good fits next to each other.

I disagree 100%. His roster can't get in done and a lot of the onus falls square on Doc's shoulders
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,376

Post#58 » by bwgood77 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:16 pm

Green89 wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:
Green89 wrote:

The dude's won 31 games as a head coach, and lost 76, and challenged people to a fight in a post game interview. There's nothing positive about his coaching career yet.

There are lots of positives. He took over a team last year, that was extremely disgruntled, instilled a new atmosphere, finally played Markieff, who played the best he ever played, and the team then traded him for a lottery pick. Then even a guy like Chandler wanted to stay after the summer because he loved the approach that Watson was instilling, and even when asked if he wanted to be traded to a contender or stay, he stayed.

The team is very close and love playing together, despite being one of the younger teams in the league, after watching trainwrecks and disgruntled players the last two years. He has coached about 1 season in total, and made an enormous difference, while starting a rookie, a two young guys for the first time in their career (Booker and Warren). Len had never started a season as the starter either. They were expected to be terrible this year based on their roster.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,204

Post#59 » by King4Day » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:13 pm

Green89 wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:
Green89 wrote:

This goes back to my original post. If you don't watch the games or follow the behind-the-scenes stuff, you will naturally just look at the standings and assume it's the coaches fault.
There are plenty of former Suns coaches I say could have been on this list (during those years). I won't defend someone if they don't deserve it.
Watson, however, doesn't belong on this list. Maybe a year or 2 from now things will change but as of now, he's getting the best out of his players and has their ear. Thy are competing for him and that's all you can ask for right now.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
The_Hater

Post#60 » by The_Hater » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:12 pm

Green89 wrote:
DarkHawk wrote:
Green89 wrote:

This is the lower end version of the 'Stevens hasn't won a playoff series yet so he sucks' argument that some people use.

Using Won-Lost records to judge the coach of a young team that is clearly rebuilding is narrow minded.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to The General Board