ImageImage

Offseason 2016/17 Thread - Scooter Cut

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,188

Re: Offseason 2016/17 Thread (Feliz and Joba signed) 

Post#421 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:13 pm

It's going to be interesting to see how attendance is this season. They've gone from 2.8 to 2.5 to 2.3 million the past 3 years. The team does a good job marketing for the most part. 10 home games against the Cubs will be sellouts.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,158
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#422 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:42 pm

El Duderino wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:The Rangers have been looking into Wily Peralta. They need a starter and know we have too many [mediocre] pitchers for our rotation.

I feel like he'd be a gas can against lefties in Arlington...but I have some strange fear that under different tutelage, he will suddenly figure it out elsewhere...I don't even know why.

Well, he does have a great power arm, just to little ability to command his pitches.

Yeah, but we've known that here for several years and he can't get that 3rd pitch to work. Obviously if he does figure it out, having the power arm would be the main portion of it...but at this point it would be a bit of a surprise.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,926

Post#423 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:59 pm

I honestly don't understand why they haven't moved Wily to the bullpen. Let him come in and throw gas an inning at a time, then move him in July.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#424 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:18 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I honestly don't understand why they haven't moved Wily to the bullpen. Let him come in and throw gas an inning at a time, then move him in July.

I think if he falters early this season that it is probably time to do that.

I wonder if Wily resisted this for arbitration purposes. He had that solid year a few years back and has racked up some totals that get him a pretty nice number in arbitration. Had he been moved to the bullpen last year I wonder if it would have hurt his 2017 arby value (and he would have brought a player's union gripe along with it). Just totally guessing at that.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,056

Post#425 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:23 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I honestly don't understand why they haven't moved Wily to the bullpen. Let him come in and throw gas an inning at a time, then move him in July.

Yeah, I'm very intrigued to see that scenario too.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#426 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:29 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:It's going to be interesting to see how attendance is this season. They've gone from 2.8 to 2.5 to 2.3 million the past 3 years. The team does a good job marketing for the most part. 10 home games against the Cubs will be sellouts.

Going to be alot of empty week night games but expect to be around that 2.3 mark again unless they are God awful out of gates. But really Braun the only "name" for casuals. I'm hearing even more "who the (****) are these guys?!" amongst the fair weathers.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,188

Post#427 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:19 pm

I got Stubhub tix for the second home game (Tuesday night) about 10 rows behind the dugout for $27. All kinds of great deals out there and it should only get better.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#428 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:54 am

MickeyDavis wrote:I got Stubhub tix for the second home game (Tuesday night) about 10 rows behind the dugout for $27. All kinds of great deals out there and it should only get better.

Wow. Yeah going to be plenty of free/cheap tix by time August/September roll around.

I wonder how many season ticket holders they have lost in last couple years...?
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#429 » by El Duderino » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:56 am

I'm not against doing this, but i question how much it would help Peralta. He already throws in the mid-to to upper 90's and even with that he still struggles to miss bats because he lacks both command and reliable secondary pitches.

Zach Davies has about 8-9 less mph on his fastball, yet has a higher K rate. So does Chase Anderson.

MLB hitters are used to seeing pitchers who throw hard. Throwing 97 isn't effective if those pitches to often hit the heart of the plate. If the pitcher doesn't pitch ahead in the count enough and/or if quality secondary pitches aren't reliable enough to keep hitters off balance.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#430 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:06 pm

Hopefully Wily's velocity is back. I believe part of the issue was his fastball was in low 90s and when he came back later last season it was back in mid to high 90s.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,860

Post#431 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:52 pm

El Duderino wrote:

I'm not against doing this, but i question how much it would help Peralta. He already throws in the mid-to to upper 90's and even with that he still struggles to miss bats because he lacks both command and reliable secondary pitches.

I feel like you provided the answer here even though you framed it a negative. An upper 90's fastball with suspect secondary pitches is perfect for 1-2 innings at a time out of the bullpen. The lack of secondary pitches becomes more and more of a problem the more times you face hitters in a game.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#432 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:53 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

I feel like you provided the answer here even though you framed it a negative. An upper 90's fastball with suspect secondary pitches is perfect for 1-2 innings at a time out of the bullpen. The lack of secondary pitches becomes more and more of a problem the more times you face hitters in a game.

I also think it becomes a bigger advantage when our starters are sitting in the high 80s and low 90s.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#433 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:02 pm

El Duderino wrote:

Zach Davies has about 8-9 less mph on his fastball, yet has a higher K rate. So does Chase Anderson.

MLB hitters are used to seeing pitchers who throw hard. Throwing 97 isn't effective if those pitches to often hit the heart of the plate. If the pitcher doesn't pitch ahead in the count enough and/or if quality secondary pitches aren't reliable enough to keep hitters off balance.

There are a number of reasons:

1. Wade Davis averaged 93 MPH on his fastball as a starter and mixed in a bunch of other pitches (usually 5 of them). As a reliever, he averages 96 MPH and also throws his cutter with more heat. He mixes in a knuckle curve, but doesn't worry about the variety as much. You can put a lot more into your pitches when you know that you're only throwing 20-30 in a night. Peralta may be able to average 97 as a reliever. He also may be able to throw his slider a lot since he isn't throwing as many pitches. His slider is very hard to hit.

2. Peralta can't get lefties out. As a starter, the opposing manager can put 6 lefties in the lineup. As a reliever, you can put him in against the meat of the order with a RH dominant lineup. At the very least, you can force the manager to empty some lefties out of his bench.

3. Peralta's numbers don't jump too much as the order sees him a few times, but that's part of the problem for pitchers that only throw 2 pitches and he definitely does suffer from it. As a reliever he obviously only sees people once.

I can't imagine too many righties getting any sort of success facing Peralta throwing 98 when he wants to and throwing his slider 30-40% of the time. Lefties will struggle a bit more as well if he can amp up the average MPH by a few ticks in a relief role.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#434 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:22 pm

The Reds have claimed Scooter off of waivers.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#435 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:28 pm

A bit surprised, but not sad to see him go (if he does).
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#436 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:35 pm

I didn't even know the Brewers waived him.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#437 » by crkone » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:39 pm

Brewers weren't able to trade him and Sterns said he wasn't a good fit on this team. Farewell Scoots.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
BigDee
RealGM
And1: 1,349

Post#438 » by BigDee » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Didn't see this coming but, oh well.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#439 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:50 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:A bit surprised, but not sad to see him go (if he does).

I was gonna bring up the 5-page argument that we had about him about 3 years ago where I thought he'd be complete trash and you were on the Scooter bandwagon.

Oddly enough, I think we both were right. He surpassed my expectations to the point that I thought he was a good platoon hitter a year later yet he ended up being a forgettable piece in the end.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,597

Post#440 » by tski1972 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:54 pm

Seeing Will Smith and now Thornburg hurt makes me happy the Brewers sold high.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes

Return to Milwaukee Brewers