2,Cr7
3,Neymar Jr
CharlieTO
Sophomore
And1: 225

Re: Top 15 players in the world? 

Post#623 » by CharlieTO » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:15 pm

J-Mezzy wrote:Bale is massively overrated

Bale was Real's best player last year. I'm NOT a Real Madrid fan. I actually despise them as I am a Barca fan, but Bale was their best player last year. Because of his injury struggles this year he would have a tougher time cracking this list, but when healthy he's legit and I have no qualms with him being included.
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#624 » by shawn_hemp » Wed Mar 1, 2017 3:02 am

I haven't been following soccer for very long, but isn't it somewhat hard to compare midfielders and strikers?

For example, it seems to me that someone like Kevin De Bruyne has more impact on a game than someone like Sergio Aguero, yet it seems like strikers are always ranked higher than midfielders.

Is it solely because they score the goals? Are assists not really valued that much in soccer?

Seems kind of backwards tbh
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,623

Post#625 » by Baphomet » Thu Mar 2, 2017 6:22 pm

shawn_hemp wrote:I haven't been following soccer for very long, but isn't it somewhat hard to compare midfielders and strikers?

For example, it seems to me that someone like Kevin De Bruyne has more impact on a game than someone like Sergio Aguero, yet it seems like strikers are always ranked higher than midfielders.

Is it solely because they score the goals? Are assists not really valued that much in soccer?

You're right, it's hard to quantify the perceived output of goalkeepers vs. defenders vs. midfielders vs. strikers when compiling rankings like this. There's also the issue of the quality of different leagues, and advanced stats to measure rankings are very flawed in this sport. However, with the example you gave it's clear to anyone who has watched much of City this season that De Bruyne has been the more impactful player. Aguero has been given the benefit of the doubt lately because of just how elite he's been in the past few years despite countless injury setbacks.
shawn_hemp
Starter

Post#626 » by shawn_hemp » Thu Mar 2, 2017 7:05 pm

Baphomet wrote:
shawn_hemp wrote:I haven't been following soccer for very long, but isn't it somewhat hard to compare midfielders and strikers?

You're right, it's hard to quantify the perceived output of goalkeepers vs. defenders vs. midfielders vs. strikers when compiling rankings like this. There's also the issue of the quality of different leagues, and advanced stats to measure rankings are very flawed in this sport. However, with the example you gave it's clear to anyone who has watched much of City this season that De Bruyne has been the more impactful player. Aguero has been given the benefit of the doubt lately because of just how elite he's been in the past few years despite countless injury setbacks.

Another thing, why does Anthony Martial not get more playing time?

any Man U game I watched last year he was the most talented playmaker on the field, yet he seems to not really play as much this year.

Is it because Jose Mourinho just doesn't see him as a fit for his system? Or are Zlatan and Marcus Rashford really that much better than Martial?

Soccer seems incredibly wasteful sometimes in that super teams buy all these players knowing full well they won't use them enough and losing millions of dollars is a drop in the bucket compared to what they make in revenue

And people complain about the Warriors in the NBA, that is like half as egregious as the disparity in soccer teams. Makes the Leicester title that much more impressive
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,623

Post#627 » by Baphomet » Thu Mar 2, 2017 7:45 pm

A couple things:

Zlatan is better than Martial, for sure, even at 35. Martial has great potential, but United's attack is so much more balanced with Zlatan playing. They are VERY different players, though. Rashford is hyper-talented but still raw, I think he could benefit from a loan to a lower Premier League team, assuming United could acquire someone more suited to being Zlatan's backup.

I watch United frequently (second only to Spurs) because I have family who support them. Martial still plays a lot, I would say that he's Jose's #1 choice at the left wing position. He's roughly on-pace to play the same amount of matches as last season, though his numbers have dropped a little (but are still pretty solid for an attacking LW). With Zlatan's unshakable position at striker in the starting XI, Rashford has been relegated to the bench. Given Zlatan's ubiquitous presence up front, Rashford has been converted into something more resemblant of a winger, which means that Rashford and Martial are sharing time where they previously didn't last season. Of the two, it's Rashford's time on the pitch that has dropped off the most.

United's focal point in attack has switched to Zlatan. Most of the time when the ball is in United's attacking third, Zlatan is the target and focal point (rightly so). Zlatan gets others involved in play with a lot more ease thanks to his stature and technical ability, and the attack flows considerably better. So, Martial has become more of a supplementary player rather than the focal point of United's attack as he was last season. I think it's better this way. Under Mourinho, United bring the ball up the pitch with far more pace, and Martial is being used more as a versatile counter-attacking threat with his pace rather than someone who's expected to score goals out of nothing. Don't get me wrong, he has good goalscoring ability but hoofing the ball to the left so that Martial can beat three players on his own (as we frequently saw under Van Gaal), is not an efficient way to score goals.
shawn_hemp
Starter

Post#628 » by shawn_hemp » Fri Mar 3, 2017 4:24 am

That makes sense. I haven't been watching pro soccer for a long time but there's some guys who you can just tell are special players and Martial seemed like one of them.

Same thing with Leroy Sane, FS1 airs Bundesliga games and I remember him on Schalke 04 and thought "wow this kid is that young and that good"

Now he's on Man City and hopefully continues to get better.

I remember catching a random Vfl Stuttgart game as well (want to say they were playing Darmstadt) and Timo Werner really stood out. Now he's on Leipzig and they are looking like they will be in Champions league at worst.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,214

Post#629 » by J-Mezzy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:21 am

Ronaldo is not playing like a top 3 player right now
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
lipstickonface
Junior
And1: 153

Post#630 » by lipstickonface » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:52 am

Saw a GIF of Suarez flop versus PSG. God lord what a shameless scrub. Only on a club featuring so many South Americans would this be permitted.
twosevenstreet
Senior
And1: 168

Post#631 » by twosevenstreet » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:00 pm

How long until Pulisic starts becoming an honorable mention for these lists? Kid is straight baller
Spread Em and Dead em.
-Sad DLO is gone
-Allen will become LobCity DJ
-Kyrie will be top 3 for MVP if we get to 50+ wins, he will average 27ppg, 7apg, shooting 50-40-90
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,256

Post#632 » by Shaazzam » Mon Apr 3, 2017 8:15 pm

No idea where to put this.
http://wallgif.com/gif/613
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,456

Re: AW: RE: Re: Top 15 players in the world? 

Post#633 » by Foye » Mon Apr 3, 2017 8:41 pm

twosevenstreet wrote:How long until Pulisic starts becoming an honorable mention for these lists? Kid is straight baller

Only Dortmund player who has top 15 potential is Dembele
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#634 » by HIF » Tue Apr 4, 2017 5:55 pm

Wilfried Ndidi
Demarai Gray
NGolo Kanté
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,233

Re: RE: Re: Top 15 players in the world? 

Post#635 » by ardee » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:43 am

J-Mezzy wrote:Ronaldo is not playing like a top 3 player right now

You were saying?

Sent from my SM-J700F using RealGM mobile app
Kyle_Connor
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#636 » by Kyle_Connor » Wed May 3, 2017 1:31 pm

Of the current football players, I'd put them in the following order in their best day:
1. Suarez
2. Ronaldo
3. Messi
4. Da'Gea
5. Alaba
6. Coutinho
7. Gabriel Jesus
8. Bale
9. Neymar
10. Hazard
11. Ozil
12. Van Dijk
13. Aguero
14. Reus
15. Cavani
mas1977
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#637 » by mas1977 » Thu May 11, 2017 6:30 am

1 Messi
2 Ronaldo
3 Suarez
4 Neuer
5 Ramos
6 Kroos
7 Robben
8 Neymar
9 Zlatan
10 Iniesta
11 Buffon
12 Modric
13 Dybala
14 Griezman
15 Bale
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,233

Post#638 » by ardee » Sat May 20, 2017 5:13 am

Ronaldo is very clearly no. 1 at the moment. He is having a two month stretch possibly better than anyone ever has IMO

Sent from my SM-J700F using RealGM mobile app
itsallaboutme
Freshman
And1: 55

Post#639 » by itsallaboutme » Mon May 22, 2017 5:15 am

1. Dele Ali
2. Harry Kane
3. Toby Alderweireld
4. Hugo llois
5. Christen Eriksen
6. Ronaldo
7. Messi
8. Neymar
9. Jan Vertongen
10. Cavani
Fou Diamant
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#640 » by Fou Diamant » Wed May 31, 2017 1:21 am

Kanté, Neymar, Messi, Suárez, Piqué, Cristiano, Modric, Kroos, Griezmann, Pogba, Chiellini, Sandro, Buffon, Lewandowski, De Bruyne. No particular order.

Return to The General Soccer Board