Free Agency 2017

Moderator: bwgood77

bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Re: Free Agency 2017 

Post#321 » by bleu » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:02 am

Cactus Jack wrote:The rumor actually is that the team wants a "good player" & high draft pick.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article143077999.html

The Seahawks have let it be known they would consider trading Sherman, but only for “a very good player plus a high draft pick,” according to an NFL source.

Very little chance it happens, but both sides are listening,” Sherman told MMQB. “I honestly don’t have much more to say about it than what I’ve already said. We have a great relationship, . . . There is a lot of love and respect. There is no bad blood.

The media is spinning this thing out of control. I'd be shocked if he was dealt to a team like New England. They don't have the draft picks.

I don't see Sherm going anywhere. But they would be stupid not to shop him around. And if they can find a good deal for him (maybe get some o-line help or something) it may be a good move. This is a VERY VERY good draft for corners. The first two-three rounds are loaded at the position.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,438

Post#322 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:59 am

bleu wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:The rumor actually is that the team wants a "good player" & high draft pick.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article143077999.html

The Seahawks have let it be known they would consider trading Sherman, but only for “a very good player plus a high draft pick,” according to an NFL source.

Very little chance it happens, but both sides are listening,” Sherman told MMQB. “I honestly don’t have much more to say about it than what I’ve already said. We have a great relationship, . . . There is a lot of love and respect. There is no bad blood.

The media is spinning this thing out of control. I'd be shocked if he was dealt to a team like New England. They don't have the draft picks.

I don't see Sherm going anywhere. But they would be stupid not to shop him around. And if they can find a good deal for him (maybe get some o-line help or something) it may be a good move. This is a VERY VERY good draft for corners. The first two-three rounds are loaded at the position.

Yup. Which is why I think they're ok with the idea of shopping him. He's not going to the Patriots. They just spent a bunch of money on Gilmore & don't have a 1st or 2nd this year. Any deal would have to include that. Anything short of a 1st & another pick included (3rd or 4th) isn't good enough in my mind. That's how valuable he is to this team. Plus, our number 2 corner is coming off an ACL/MCL & the others are trash for the most part. Do we start two rookies this year? That would likely spell disaster. Pass.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#323 » by bleu » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:02 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
bleu wrote:

Yup. Which is why I think they're ok with the idea of shopping him. He's not going to the Patriots. They just spent a bunch of money on Gilmore & don't have a 1st or 2nd this year. Any deal would have to include that. Anything short of a 1st & another pick included (3rd or 4th) isn't good enough in my mind. That's how valuable he is to this team. Plus, our number 2 corner is coming off an ACL/MCL & the others are trash for the most part. Do we start two rookies this year? That would likely spell disaster. Pass.

Oh, TRUST ME, I know how starting two rookie CB's goes. Bad idea. It's such a difficult position to make the transition from college to the NFL at, one rookie CB can sometimes work out. Two is almost always disastrous.
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#324 » by Mich3006 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:40 am

No team will trade a 1st or 2nd rd pick + a good player for Sherman with a stacked Draft class on defensive backs.

The only trade proposal which could be possible (won´t happen thought) is a three team deal between Seattle, New Orleans and New England (Butler to Saints, picks to Seattle, Sherman to the Patriots)
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#325 » by cl2117 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:11 am

Ayatollah wrote:No team will trade a 1st or 2nd rd pick + a good player for Sherman with a stacked Draft class on defensive backs.

The only trade proposal which could be possible (won´t happen thought) is a three team deal between Seattle, New Orleans and New England (Butler to Saints, picks to Seattle, Sherman to the Patriots)

It's completely unrealistic, but I was thinking more like:

Patriots: Sherman, Pick #12 from Browns

Seahawks: Butler, 2nd round pick from Browns

Browns: Garoppolo

Browns get Jimmmy G, Seahawks replace Sherm with Butler and get a high pick and Patriots get a 2nd lockdown corner and a high first rounder for their backup QB and a CB they apparently don't want ot re-sign. And how fitting it would be for Seattle and New England to swap those 2 corners.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Mich3006
Head Coach

Post#326 » by Mich3006 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:49 am

cl2117 wrote:
Ayatollah wrote:No team will trade a 1st or 2nd rd pick + a good player for Sherman with a stacked Draft class on defensive backs.

Browns get Jimmmy G, Seahawks replace Sherm with Butler and get a high pick and Patriots get a 2nd lockdown corner and a high first rounder for their backup QB and a CB they apparently don't want ot re-sign. And how fitting it would be for Seattle and New England to swap those 2 corners.

No way the Patriots will trade both and why should the Seahawks take on Butler, who´s looking for an even bigger contract than Sherman?! With a stacked DB class I think the Seahawks are looking for O-Line help and a pick instead of switching a top corner for another top corner
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#327 » by cl2117 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:11 pm

Ayatollah wrote:
cl2117 wrote:

No way the Patriots will trade both and why should the Seahawks take on Butler, who´s looking for an even bigger contract than Sherman?! With a stacked DB class I think the Seahawks are looking for O-Line help and a pick instead of switching a top corner for another top corner

Well no way they trade for Sherman so yeah it's pretty unrealistic from the jump, but I figure that's still not a bad haul for the Seahawks given what they're asking for.

Even if this draft class is stacked with DBs, I don't think Carrol would want to swap Sherman for a rookie CB. It's too big a downgrade at such an important position for a team that is competing for rings. Butler gives you a new #1 CB on the cheap and then you've got a year to evaluate what kind of long-term contract you want to offer him (I can't imagine he makes more than Sherman on the open market). They can draft yet another DB with the pick or look to help the O-line.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#328 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:42 pm

bleu wrote:

I don't see him going anywhere either and you're right - why not shop him around? You don't know what the market is until you see. And - I don't see him (Sherman) as the kind of guy who would take offense at this happening. He's a big boy and he's also smart enough to understand the business aspect of this unlike most guys who would play the "disrespected" card.

There was some chatter down here about the Cowboys trying to swing a deal. Personally - I'd LOVE having him on this team and his leadership. Realistically - that isn't happening. They will have plenty of cash under the Salary Cap after 6/1 (somewhere around $25M)... but they are also about to extend Zach Martin along with the draft. And - I don't think there is a player other than potentially an offensive lineman that would be a fit on the Seahawks and they aren't letting Martin, Frederick or Smith go anywhere.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#329 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:38 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bleu wrote:

I don't see him going anywhere either and you're right - why not shop him around? You don't know what the market is until you see. And - I don't see him (Sherman) as the kind of guy who would take offense at this happening. He's a big boy and he's also smart enough to understand the business aspect of this unlike most guys who would play the "disrespected" card.

There was some chatter down here about the Cowboys trying to swing a deal. Personally - I'd LOVE having him on this team and his leadership. Realistically - that isn't happening. They will have plenty of cash under the Salary Cap after 6/1 (somewhere around $25M)... but they are also about to extend Zach Martin along with the draft. And - I don't think there is a player other than potentially an offensive lineman that would be a fit on the Seahawks and they aren't letting Martin, Frederick or Smith go anywhere.

Smith, or Martin or No deal! :wink:
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#330 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:40 pm

cl2117 wrote:
Ayatollah wrote:
cl2117 wrote:It's completely unrealistic, but I was thinking more like:

Well no way they trade for Sherman so yeah it's pretty unrealistic from the jump, but I figure that's still not a bad haul for the Seahawks given what they're asking for.

Even if this draft class is stacked with DBs, I don't think Carrol would want to swap Sherman for a rookie CB. It's too big a downgrade at such an important position for a team that is competing for rings. Butler gives you a new #1 CB on the cheap and then you've got a year to evaluate what kind of long-term contract you want to offer him (I can't imagine he makes more than Sherman on the open market). They can draft yet another DB with the pick or look to help the O-line.

Butler wants Sherm money. Pass.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#331 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:05 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bleu wrote:

Smith, or Martin or No deal! :wink:

Gonna have to pass on your offer but thanks.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mich3006
Head Coach

Post#332 » by Mich3006 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:04 am

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-five-nfl-draft-blockbuster-trades-for-veterans-that-need-to-happen/

Some of them are unrealistic but it´s an interesting article...

Regarding any deals I think another rumor regarding a Bengals/Jets trade (McCarron for Richardson) should be in negotiation imo.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#333 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:37 am

Ayatollah wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-five-nfl-draft-blockbuster-trades-for-veterans-that-need-to-happen/

Some of them are unrealistic but it´s an interesting article...

Regarding any deals I think another rumor regarding a Bengals/Jets trade (McCarron for Richardson) should be in negotiation imo.

A 2nd & future 5th? I'd rather just hang on to him going forward.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#334 » by FNQ » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:54 pm

I doubt Sherman fetches what the Seahawks want.. trades rarely do. I think if the union is broken - I suspect it is but its entirely conjecture from a few clues - that the Hawks will either get a high pick, a decent pick swap + a decent player, or a solid player with a lower pick. I think Pats will have the inside track once the Butler trade is finalized, though I wonder: what if the Pats offer Butler for Sherman? Maybe throw in a day 3 pick as well? :dontknow:

I'd wager the Raiders and Patriots have to be the favorites if Sherman is dealt. Raiders because the Lynch thing and the Seahawks can consolidate value there, and the Pats because of Butler. Anyone else, I'm just not sure. Would have to come out of nowhere, but most deals do.

If the union isn't broken, Sherman's either going to be dealt to a desperate team (see: Raiders/Richard Seymour) or he's going to be back with Seattle. Sherman's price tag for a CB is pretty high and he's 29 already, so you have to wonder how many years of elite production you're getting. Revis was 'only' 31 last year and suffered a significant drop-off.. while that's an extreme example, it represents the risk being taken. Sherman also could age like Terrence Newman or Charles Woodson as well, but I certainly wouldn't pay a 1st and a solid player for Sherman for the Raiders right now.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#335 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:57 pm

The Seahawks should just do right by Sherman and just release him so he can go to a contender to win a ring.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#336 » by FNQ » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:01 pm

Mr B wrote:The Seahawks should just do right by Sherman and just release him so he can go to a contender to win a ring.

Seahawks aren't a contender? No in that division looks like a threat at all so they can practically print playoff tickets tonight.. the bigger questions are: can their offense improve with Lacy and their draft picks enough? And, can they win on the road, or win enough regular season games to make the question moot in the playoffs?

The timing of wanting to trade him is really odd. It's a Pats-like move, but the Pats usually had someone waiting in the wings to assume the vacated position. The fact that the Hawks want a pick + a player, with the player being the catalyst for my theory, indicates to me that something behind the scenes is broken and that both parties have worn on each other.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#337 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:07 pm

FNQ wrote:
Mr B wrote:The Seahawks should just do right by Sherman and just release him so he can go to a contender to win a ring.

Seahawks aren't a contender? No in that division looks like a threat at all so they can practically print playoff tickets tonight.. the bigger questions are: can their offense improve with Lacy and their draft picks enough? And, can they win on the road, or win enough regular season games to make the question moot in the playoffs?

The timing of wanting to trade him is really odd. It's a Pats-like move, but the Pats usually had someone waiting in the wings to assume the vacated position. The fact that the Hawks want a pick + a player, with the player being the catalyst for my theory, indicates to me that something behind the scenes is broken and that both parties have worn on each other.

It was more of a joke. That's what people were saying about Romo. The Seahawks are definitely a contender and should absolutely try to get the best value for Sherman. I don't think they will get anything near what they're asking for though. He's 29 and coming off a sub par year for him. Also he wants to get PAID! Typically CB's don't get better as they age. I think a 3rd round pick is the most realistic compensation they could hope to get.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#338 » by FNQ » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:24 pm

Mr B wrote:
FNQ wrote:

It was more of a joke. That's what people were saying about Romo. The Seahawks are definitely a contender and should absolutely try to get the best value for Sherman. I don't think they will get anything near what they're asking for though. He's 29 and coming off a sub par year for him. Also he wants to get PAID! Typically CB's don't get better as they age. I think a 3rd round pick is the most realistic compensation they could hope to get.

Kinda feel like I should have known it was a joke :oops:

I think a 3rd would be low-end, and if the Seahawks accepted it, would be extremely telling as to how much they want to shed him. I personally would happily give the Seahawks a 2nd rounder from the Raiders - my initial suggestion was to send them our #24 (they send back #26), we send out our 2nd (they send back their 3rd), a 2018 3rd, and Sean Smith for Sherman and Lynch. I think that still is on the low end of Sherman's value but I wouldnt be tripping over myself to offer for a player that a contending team is willing to 'listen' on
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#339 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:50 pm

:lol: :roll:
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#340 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:57 pm

FNQ wrote:I doubt Sherman fetches what the Seahawks want.. trades rarely do. I think if the union is broken - I suspect it is but its entirely conjecture from a few clues - that the Hawks will either get a high pick, a decent pick swap + a decent player, or a solid player with a lower pick. I think Pats will have the inside track once the Butler trade is finalized, though I wonder: what if the Pats offer Butler for Sherman? Maybe throw in a day 3 pick as well? :dontknow:

I'd wager the Raiders and Patriots have to be the favorites if Sherman is dealt. Raiders because the Lynch thing and the Seahawks can consolidate value there, and the Pats because of Butler. Anyone else, I'm just not sure. Would have to come out of nowhere, but most deals do.

If the union isn't broken, Sherman's either going to be dealt to a desperate team (see: Raiders/Richard Seymour) or he's going to be back with Seattle. Sherman's price tag for a CB is pretty high and he's 29 already, so you have to wonder how many years of elite production you're getting. Revis was 'only' 31 last year and suffered a significant drop-off.. while that's an extreme example, it represents the risk being taken. Sherman also could age like Terrence Newman or Charles Woodson as well, but I certainly wouldn't pay a 1st and a solid player for Sherman for the Raiders right now.

NE doesn't have a 1st or 2nd their out! Butler is overrated. He gets recognition due to the SB. The Team Wants to save money under the cap by trading Sherm. Unless they can acquire a stud LT. The Patriots know what they're doing by shopping Butler.

Return to The General NFL Board